HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Expansion Draft (6-18-17 - 6-21-17) VGK Selects James Neal

Old
06-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 500
We don't have to have another elite center though, we can keep our entire top 4 if we acquire a competent no.2.

If elite is Tavares and a competent no.2 is Bozak I think we can find someone in the middle without giving up Ellis or Ekholm.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:53 PM
glenngineer

All I'll say is bye Krok.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:57 PM
tampa pred

After thinking through all of the scenarios, I think that I would simply protect Neal and let Vegas pick between Krok, Sissons, Aberg, Smith, and Wilson. I can't really decide who we would be better off with between Krok and Sissons, so using an asset to protect one over the other doesn't really seem worth it. If Vegas were to take Smith or Wilson, it might actually help us out. Aberg is really the only one that I would be upset about, but I don't think that they would take anyone without a multiyear contract signed. What is his contract status?

tampa pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:58 PM
hoosierpred

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I am not saying I agree with it, but there are some in the hockey world who say, gun to our heads/have to lose one of our defensemen- it should be Josi.

Again, not me saying that, but some do.......
I understand the thinking, but I can't agree with it either. Looking at our performance, we were the most dangerous when our defense could carry the puck and be part of the cycle. Of our defense, Josi is maybe the best at it with Eckholm getting better all the time. If it was Josi for Tavares straight up i would consider it, but I would not offer more due to contract considerations. (Josi on a predator friendly contract and Tavares with only 1 year left and due for a raise).

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I agree, I think it's time to move on from Wilson, he's so frustrating, but I can see him being a good guy for Vegas.
Meh, he's better than the Smith we've seen the past two years. Cheaper and signed for one less year also. Ideally Smith is gone to expansion, but I don't really care, all the exposed forwards are very replaceable.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:08 PM
GeauxPreds

wilson has been garbage for the past two years, at least smith shows flashes of brillance. all in all I'd be happiest if wilson was taken.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:13 PM
PREDilection
Little Doodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
All I'll say is bye Krok.
I have never been a Krok fan but was really starting to warm up to him during the regular season. I started to see what he brought to the table and understand what his "hockey IQ" allowed him to do that was more than just putting the puck in the back of the net. Then the playoffs happened and I'm right back with you.

Bye Krok, please!

PREDilection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:14 PM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Meh, he's better than the Smith we've seen the past two years. Cheaper and signed for one less year also. Ideally Smith is gone to expansion, but I don't really care, all the exposed forwards are very replaceable.
As long as Neal is not included in that group I agree. Smith's problem in my opinion has always been finishing ability. He is a good skater, a good physical presence on the walls, is defensively responsible and is a high effort guy. With a better shot (which could be worked on) he would immediately become very very valuable. His value is artificially depressed by that problem with finishing. Wilson has a good shot (which artificially raises his "apparent" value, but, unfortunately doesn't seem, to my eyes, as willing to engage physically and realize his potential. His backhand is probably the best on the team, but to use it, he needs to be collecting loose pucks in front of the net. For that, he needs to go there and get smacked around like Hornquist.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Armourboy

I don't think Wilson has done it because he can't stay healthy as it is. His injuries every single year are the reason he doesn't do that much and is also the reason I would keep Smith over him.

If Wilson could stay healthy and could play the way he should then Smith is who you want to move.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Mortiest Morty

Wilson went the net plenty on the power play at least. Go back and watch a few of Ellis' PP goals. And staying healthy is only a good thing if you're an above replacement level player. Craig Smith hasn't been for like 85+% of the past two years.

Old
06-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

Quote:
Okay... who said they would? It'll be year-to-year from here on out, I'd guess.
Sorry misread the post. Thought it was 3.5 for 3 not 3.5 or 3M.

I think it will be between Wilson and Jarny for Vegas. I don't really care which is moved, probably prefer Wilson for cap space.

We do need to find that 2nd line center though.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
Wilson went the net plenty on the power play at least. Go back and watch a few of Ellis' PP goals. And staying healthy is only a good thing if you're an above replacement level player. Craig Smith hasn't been for like 85+% of the past two years.
Wilson has had one good season his entire career, and he did good to hit 20 goals in that one, and he sure as heck wasn't playoff Wilson this year.

I think he is just to unreliable to be kept over anyone at this point.

Also keep in mind I've been a Wilson defender all of these years and even I'm ready to cut him loose.

Old
06-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
Wilson has had one good season his entire career, and he did good to hit 20 goals in that one, and he sure as heck wasn't playoff Wilson this year.

I think he is just to unreliable to be kept over anyone at this point.

Also keep in mind I've been a Wilson defender all of these years and even I'm ready to cut him loose.
I'm not saying Wilson is particularly good. I'm saying, contracts and recent performance considered, Craig Smith is definitely worse. I've said multiple times that I wont miss whomever Vegas takes (Unless Poile is actually stupid enough to expose Neal to keep a 3/4 center). Best case they take Smith and that 4.25 million can be put to better use, but as players, I wont especially miss any of them.

Old
06-14-2017, 04:25 PM
GeauxPreds

Wilson is so much more medicore than craig smith at least Craig looks dangerous on the ice and can score goals. Wilson just kinda skates around gets injured or goes to the front of the net doing nothing. He's not quick, he doesn't have great hands, he's not physical, he's not a goalscorer or a playmaker, what is he? Hope and dreams and fairy dust?

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 05:16 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds View Post
Wilson is so much more medicore than craig smith at least Craig looks dangerous on the ice and can score goals. Wilson just kinda skates around gets injured or goes to the front of the net doing nothing. He's not quick, he doesn't have great hands, he's not physical, he's not a goalscorer or a playmaker, what is he? Hope and dreams and fairy dust?
And what is Craig Smith? Looks dangerous? That's some kind of positive? For some reason you hate Colin Wilson, that's fine. But don't try to pretend there is some kind of huge gap in ability between he and Craig Smith. Wilson is likely the more talented of the two. Neither are anything special. And against all odds, Craig Smith has actually gotten worse every single year for three consecutive years. I shudder to think what he will be next season.

Old
06-14-2017, 07:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Anyone else been looking at the Preds expansion draft? Just weird memories, Preds pick Ed Belfour and get the pick to get Shea Weber.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Hinterland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I personally think we protect Forsberg, Joey, Arvidsson and Neal, leaving Sissons as the guy who we try and make a trade with Vegas in order to have them pick someone else. I think Sissons has singlehandedly made Jarnkrok replaceable, despite his contract. And that's a contract that GMGM would have a hard time turning down.

Maybe it's a bit of recent infatuation but I'll be really pissed if the guy we lose ends up being Sissons after all this.

From what I've heard, Neal likes being here, so I'm not so sure we couldn't extend him.
Why does everybody talk about having to protect Arvidsson and Johansen? They don't have a contract for next season so they don't need to be protected.

Protection list most likely:

Rinne
Subban
Josi
Ekholm
Ellis
Forsberg
Neal
Smith
Wilson

What would really hurt the Preds is if Vegas picks Sissons and Fisher doesn't return. Not sure if Poile thought about it but that but it may be smart to protect Sissons. I could absolutely see Vegas picking Sissons over Jarnkrok.

Hinterland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 07:28 PM
Armourboy

I don't think he will protect both Smith and Wilson. I think he leaves one if not both exposed and protects either Aberg, Sissons or Jarnkrok.

Old
06-14-2017, 07:36 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
Why does everybody talk about having to protect Arvidsson and Johansen? They don't have a contract for next season so they don't need to be protected.

Protection list most likely:

Rinne
Subban
Josi
Ekholm
Ellis
Forsberg
Neal
Smith
Wilson

What would really hurt the Preds is if Vegas picks Sissons and Fisher doesn't return. Not sure if Poile thought about it but that but it may be smart to protect Sissons. I could absolutely see Vegas picking Sissons over Jarnkrok.
Well that ain't true.

Old
06-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Hinterland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
I don't think he will protect both Smith and Wilson. I think he leaves one if not both exposed and protects either Aberg, Sissons or Jarnkrok.
Man. I'm really glad you guys aren't in Poile's position. First I have to read about protecting Johansen and Arvidsson, now you even want to protect Aberg.
Aberg, just like the other two, doesn't have a contract for next season. And even if he did, he still wouldn't need to be protected since he doesn't meet the 40/70 requirement.

Old
06-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Man. I'm really glad you guys aren't in Poile's position. First I have to read about protecting Johansen and Arvidsson, now you even want to protect Aberg.
Aberg, just like the other two, doesn't have a contract for next season. And even if he did, he still wouldn't need to be protected since he doesn't meet the 40/70 requirement.
Again, this is all kinds of wrong. 40/70 has nothing to do with exemption from the expansion draft. RFAs 100% have to be protected. I do like the smug little bit at the first "Man. I'm really glad you guys aren't in Poile's position", makes it more funny how wrong you were.

Old
06-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Hinterland

Quote:
Well that ain't true.
Tell me more?
Why do you think teams aren't resigning their RFA's yet?
Please read the expansion rules before posting here. Goalies are the only exception. Teams can make an RFA goalie if they want to do so.

Old
06-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Hinterland

Quote:
Again, this is all kinds of wrong. 40/70 has nothing to do with exemption from the expansion draft. RFAs 100% have to be protected. I do like the smug little bit at the first "Man. I'm really glad you guys aren't in Poile's position", makes it more funny how wrong you were.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansi...es/c-281010592

Old
06-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
It has nothing to do with contract, it has to do with rights. Unless the player is on their ELC or a UFA, they either need to be protected or they are exposed.

Old
06-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Tell me more?
Why do you think teams aren't resigning their RFA's yet?
Please read the expansion rules before posting here. Goalies are the only exception. Teams can make an RFA goalie if they want to do so.
Wrong. I'm not going to do your research for you. Spend about 2 minutes Googling it, then come back and apologize about how wrong you are.