HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Of the three top coaching candidates, who do you choose?

View Poll Results: Which candidate of the three do you choose?
Phil Housley 86 83.50%
Todd Rierden 9 8.74%
Rick Tocchet 8 7.77%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Butt Ox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yultron View Post
Would people be excited about Tocchet????
To be honest, I would always have a belief that obligation/loyalty somehow came into play.

Totally irrational, I know. The pedigree is there and he paid his dues. Tocchet could very well have been the best interview as well - but then there is the familiarity aspect again.

I won't be surprised if the job is his. Probably won't be too excited until we see the Sabres string a couple of wins in a row together either.

Butt Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

If Housley is picked and happens to fail not living up to the hype. The Housley defending is going to get obnoxious on this board. I hope I am wrong about him but his experience is very concerning and I just want to win.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 04:01 PM
wunderpanda
enter PHo Botts

Kruger

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Here's a question, who are the top 5 coaches that made the Hall Of Fame as a player?

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Dance View Post
Here's a question, who are the top 5 coaches that made the Hall Of Fame as a player?
Fact, that is a question

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 04:45 PM
static80

Housley AINEC.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 05:36 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
I voted for Toccket, we can't bring Nashville's defense with Housley so I'll go with the guy with head coaching experience.

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Ace

Bylsma has head coaching experience. Want him back?

How about Rolston? Tocchet has that kind of experience.

Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Tocchet's HC experience was long ago and short. It's about insignificant. Each guy (including Reirden) has enough time behind a bench for it not to matter. It's not about time, it's about ability and knowledge and fit. They should all be able to adjust their gameplans based on the roster available to them, regardless of what they've coached their previous teams.

We can't exclude a guy because he used a previous roster a certain way that doesn't match up with Buffalo's. It's silly for us to just assume a guy can't adjust, as if he's never had to adjust as a coach before. It's silly for us to assume Buffalo's roster won't change over time and become a team that doesn't fit the original mold the HC brought with him.

The interview process will figure it out, and we're not going to be in that room. My only bias is against a federally convicted felon coaching the team after character and professionalism was a talking point to end the season.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 06:00 PM
dotcommunism

Using Tocchet's previous head coaching experience to disqualify him is really weird right now. Okay, Tocchet was a head coach for a short period of time for a bad team and things went badly and he didn't get another head coaching job for a long time after. That also describes the guy who Tocchet is currently an assistant for.

Granted, in Tocchet's case the team was garbage before he even got there, whereas the Bruins were good during Sullivan's first season before completely falling apart his second season.

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post

He has Mike Sullivan's version of experience. Short, unsuccessful, long lay off.

Try harder

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 06:33 PM
Toronto Blue Jays
Eichel's Wheelhouse

Housley

Old
06-13-2017, 06:33 PM
littletonhockeycoach

I'm taking the accolades that Subban and other Preds D have attributed to Housley at face value. The respect and deference they gave him really impressed me. (I believe that info is in print and was linked somewhere here in a previous thread....) And then there's his work with the US World Jrs team. It would be fantastic to have him back in the Sabres fold.

But Tocchet has a Penguins pedigree now and everyone knows Buffalo is Pittsburg North these days. (It sure ain't the 1970's anymore when the Sabres were the bright shining stars and Pittsburg was a laughing stock in their powder blue sweaters.)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Whoever gives the best interview.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Or apparently Rierden even though I don't recall voting for anyone.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post

Tocchet was behind the Penguins bench for two straight consecutive cup wins since then. I think the decision is a lot closer than you're willing to believe.

I don't have a horse in this race. I also don't think Botterill is going to risk his GM career by hiring someone he doesn't deem the best possible fit. The interview process should show a lot.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:58 AM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

Star Hall of Famers to fail as coaches

- Patrick Roy
- Wayne Gretzky
- Bryan Trottier

Star Hall of Famers struggling as Assistants

- Adam Oates
- Scott Stevens

Not saying Housley will follow these trajectories but just because a guy made the HoF doesn't mean he can be a good coach. Trottier won a cup as an assistant coach with Colorado, blew it when he was head coach and sucked even more with Nolan as assistant coach. Wayne Gretzky is a flunky coach and Patrick Roy needs to be gone but hes living off his name still behind the bench.

I've said it once and I will say it again. Some of you ONLY want Housley because hes the hot ticket right now and losing Babcock was humiliating. It's about bragging rights, not whats best for the team necessarily. The fact so many can blindly ignore that he has no major coaching experience and not be a little worried is baffling.

Housley afor HC of Rochester; let us groom him.

Last edited by Sabre the Win: 06-14-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old
06-14-2017, 01:29 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post

- Patrick Roy
- Wayne Gretzky
- Bryan Trottier

- Adam Oates
- Scott Stevens

Not saying Housley will follow these trajectories but just because a guy made the HoF doesn't mean he can be a good coach. Trottier won a cup as an assistant coach with Colorado, blew it when he was head coach and sucked even more with Nolan as assistant coach. Wayne Gretzky is a flunky coach and Patrick Roy needs to be gone but hes living off his name still behind the bench.
Is there a single person suggesting that Housley should be the coach because he's in the Hall of Fame? Besides, despite all of the coaches you mentioned, it seems like Jacques Lemaire had a decent enough run

Quote:
I've said it once and I will say it again. Some of you ONLY want Housley because hes the hot ticket right now and losing Babcock was humiliating. It's about bragging rights, not whats best for the team necessarily. The fact so many can blindly ignore that he has no major coaching experience and not be a little worried is baffling.
In what way is Housley, as a name, remotely comparable to Babcock. Multiple teams wanted Babcock. Literally no other team with a coaching vacancy even bothered waiting until Housley was available to interview before hiring someone else. There are no "bragging rights" when there's only one job opening out there.

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Dingo44
Top 4 D Can Wait

Quote:

- Patrick Roy
- Wayne Gretzky
- Bryan Trottier

- Adam Oates
- Scott Stevens

Housley afor HC of Rochester; let us groom him.
This is as spicy as a spicy hot take gets.

I'm curious as with whom do you feel you're arguing?

As the charter member of the already against Botts club, how do you suppose another GM would convince one of the most sought after head coaching candidates to agree to be a head coach in the AHL instead so he can "be groomed"? Please give me those selling points.

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 02:20 AM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Is there a single person suggesting that Housley should be the coach because he's in the Hall of Fame? Besides, despite all of the coaches you mentioned, it seems like Jacques Lemaire had a decent enough run

In what way is Housley, as a name, remotely comparable to Babcock. Multiple teams wanted Babcock. Literally no other team with a coaching vacancy even bothered waiting until Housley was available to interview before hiring someone else. There are no "bragging rights" when there's only one job opening out there.
It's been going on since page 1 of the coach searching page, just because it's a different thread on the same topic doesn't mean opinions change. People have used the argument hes Hall of Fame player more than a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo44 View Post
This is as spicy as a spicy hot take gets.

I'm curious as with whom do you feel you're arguing?

As the charter member of the already against Botts club, how do you suppose another GM would convince one of the most sought after head coaching candidates to agree to be a head coach in the AHL instead so he can "be groomed"? Please give me those selling points.
Why do you honestly think I am against GM Botteril? Yes he wasn't my first choice as I wanted Brisebois but to think I would want to see him fail, why? What do I have to gain if he fails? Do you think I enjoy watching the Sabres lose?

Also how is he the most sought after? Florida went with another coach before interviewing him and now we are the only head coaching job available to him He's a hot name, that is it.

He should also understand that he needs experience as a head coach and just throwing him to the wolves in a head coaching position in the NHL with no experience could destroy his career for head coaching jobs in the future. He should continue his metoric rise slowly and learn the game at the AHL level first.

Old
06-14-2017, 03:40 AM
BiPolarBear

My heart says Housley, my brain says Tocchet. There's risk to both. I'm fine with either of them.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
It's been going on since page 1 of the coach searching page, just because it's a different thread on the same topic doesn't mean opinions change. People have used the argument hes Hall of Fame player more than a few times.

Why do you honestly think I am against GM Botteril? Yes he wasn't my first choice as I wanted Brisebois but to think I would want to see him fail, why? What do I have to gain if he fails? Do you think I enjoy watching the Sabres lose?

Also how is he the most sought after? Florida went with another coach before interviewing him and now we are the only head coaching job available to him He's a hot name, that is it.

He should also understand that he needs experience as a head coach and just throwing him to the wolves in a head coaching position in the NHL with no experience could destroy his career for head coaching jobs in the future. He should continue his metoric rise slowly and learn the game at the AHL level first.
You're really exaggerating the HOF angle. We on this board are focusing on the handful of names that appear to be the front runners, so it's already been narrowed down. It's not like we all came clamoring to this board singing praises of Housley out of nowhere, like he's the 2nd coming.

From what I've read about Reirden he seems like just as strong a candidate, and again, from the names we've been hearing about the most. Housley is no extra special guy IMO, and his HOF career means nothing to me, especially since I was never a huge fan of his back in the day. His coaching resume includes enough time behind an NHL bench though, just like Reirden and Tocchet. I'm quit sure there's a list of NHL HCs that have not been HCs in the minors. It's not that big a deal.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 08:55 AM
Hasek

Which coaching style suits Eichel best?

Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 09:46 AM
flashsabre

I really wonder if Botterill tries for both.

-name Phil Housley Head Coach
- make Tocchet Associate Head Coach so it is a promotion and throw some Pegula bucks at him to lure him over
-round out the staff with an experienced coach. Lindy isn't doing anything

flashsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Sabretooth

vCash: 2095
Co-HC's!!

what could go wrong???

Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote