HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres re-sign Linus Ullmark (2 years, $750,000 AAV)

Old
06-14-2017, 11:24 AM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
So you want Kasdorf to run with the reigns in Rochester? when he can't even float in the ECHL.

He alone is probably the reason Elmira folded
Nope, I said give the reigns to Johansson and supplement starts with an AHL vet/Kasdorf. It would be similar to what we did last year, just swapping Ullmark with Johansson.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundherDome View Post
Nope, I said give the reigns to Johansson and supplement starts with an AHL vet/Kasdorf. It would be similar to what we did last year, just swapping Ullmark with Johansson.
Managing to get Petersen signed would clear up so much about the goalie picture for next year.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:44 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Johansson is not going to be the starter in Rochester. Or I would be shocked if he were.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:53 AM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Johansson is not going to be the starter in Rochester. Or I would be shocked if he were.
Not sure why he wouldn't be unless Peterson signs. He has been solid the last few years and his stint went as well as it could have gone in Rochester with the dumpster fire in front of him.

Old
06-14-2017, 11:57 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Not sure why he wouldn't be unless Peterson signs. He has been solid the last few years and his stint went as well as it could have gone in Rochester with the dumpster fire in front of him.
He's been solid the last few years? He's been playing in the second tier Swedish league and has played in a grand total of 8 SHL games over the past four seasons. He has absolutely no business being handed the AHL starting job, especially if they want to be competitive for a change.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
He's been solid the last few years? He's been playing in the second tier Swedish league and has played in a grand total of 8 SHL games over the past four seasons. He has absolutely no business being handed the AHL starting job, especially if they want to be competitive for a change.
Right? We literally can't afford to lose any goalies. If we lose both Lehner and Petersson or Petersson and Ullmark that gaping hole is going to be worse than our defensive hole. The only way losing a goalie wouldn't hurt as much is taking from the top of the organizational chart or the very bottom. If they take from our depth it creates an unbalance in the entire organizational depth chart.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:06 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Yes, he has played well at that level the past few years. He should be poised to take the next step.

Old
06-14-2017, 12:07 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Botterill has talked a big game about winning in the AHL and I believe him, unlike Murray. Part of that is not handing the starting job to an unproven goalie like Johansson. Peterson is quite a bit higher ranked, so that would t be a surprise but if he doesn't sign, it's either Ullmark or, more likely, and AHL veteran that starts. Johansson the back up and Kasdorf in Cincinnati.

Old
06-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
Right? We literally can't afford to lose any goalies. If we lose both Lehner and Petersson or Petersson and Ullmark that gaping hole is going to be worse than our defensive hole. The only way losing a goalie wouldn't hurt as much is taking from the top of the organizational chart. If they take from our depth it creates an unbalance in the entire organizational depth chart.
Servicable netminders are a dime a dozen, there's always someone available. We could always resign Nilsson and ride him for a year in a pinch, his stats were better than Lehner's (though not by much at all, in less games) and he actually managed to stop some shootout attempts.

Old
06-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
If Ullmark goes into the season as the NHL backup, I imagine Botterill will want an NHL tweener starting in the AHL in case Lehner gets hurt and/or Ullmark is a dumpster fire. I'm thinking guys like Berube, Enroth, or perhaps McElhinney. It will not be gifted to Johansson.

*I'm assuming Petersen is gone, so I am not considering him in this equation.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:19 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

I genuinely don't care what they do with Ullmark as he seems destined to be the backup in Buffalo. If we can get a second, I say do it and re-sign Nilsson. I'll leave it at that.

Old
06-14-2017, 12:19 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Yes, he has played well at that level the past few years. He should be poised to take the next step.
"The next step" from HockeyAllsvenskan is not being handed a starting job in the AHL.

Old
06-14-2017, 12:35 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
"The next step" from HockeyAllsvenskan is not being handed a starting job in the AHL.
Could be

Old
06-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

Ullmark has stud potential. I think he is one of our best prospects in our pipeline, I know many will disagree but many also disagreed with me on Talbot that he is a legit starter and true #1 \and I am willing to go to bat for Ullmark saying it will be a HUGE mistake to let him go anywhere.

I remember Murray saying he could be a top 10 goalie in the NHL one day. I see that as well.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:28 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Could be
You can keep barking up this tree all you want, but gifting Johansson the starting job in Rochester is still an absolutely terrible idea.

Old
06-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Servicable netminders are a dime a dozen, there's always someone available. We could always resign Nilsson and ride him for a year in a pinch, his stats were better than Lehner's (though not by much at all, in less games) and he actually managed to stop some shootout attempts.
the whole Lehner shootout thing has been debunked btw.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:32 PM
Dex
Complementary

If Botteril can't work a deal to take Moulson/Ennis or to protect Ullmark, I think the Sabres will protect Ullmark. I don't think LV would take Lehner. Maybe they'll just protect Ullmark and not bother to work a deal.

Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
You can keep barking up this tree all you want, but gifting Johansson the starting job in Rochester is still an absolutely terrible idea.
Completely agree. That is a recipe for disaster.

06-14-2017, 01:43 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
If Botteril can't work a deal to take Moulson/Ennis or to protect Ullmark, I think the Sabres will protect Ullmark. I don't think LV would take Lehner. Maybe they'll just protect Ullmark and not bother to work a deal.
Same here. Would be a shame to lose any good player because Lehner was protected.

pigpen65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 02:08 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Same here. Would be a shame to lose any good player because Lehner was protected.
Every team has to expose a goalie. There is no option to not expose a goalie.

99.99% certain BUF will protect Lehner. He's the higher value goaltender. 0.01% chance Lehner is moved as part of a ExpDraft deal.

Losing someone with Lehner protected does not mean that lost player was more valuable than Lehner.

Regardless of one's degree of Lehner hate (mild to rabid), one is still bound by logic and the ExpDraft rules.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Not if you consider that they can sign Franson or Kulikov during the free agency window and that will count as the player selected from Buffalo. Both players would be more useful to Vegas than a $750k AHL starting goalie.

The idea that it's Ullmark, then 50 feet of crap, then everyone else we'll expose concept isn't accurate. There are other options.
Given the D group they are going to be able to acquire I don't think franson or Kulikov will be all that appealing as pending UFAs.

Ullmark is a guy they can bury in the AHL who could potentially be a big nhl contribution in future.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Given the D group they are going to be able to acquire I don't think franson or Kulikov will be all that appealing as pending UFAs.

Ullmark is a guy they can bury in the AHL who could potentially be a big nhl contribution in future.
If Vegas signs one of them to a deal, they will no longer be pending UFA's. There's a negotiation window prior to the expansion draft where McPhee can sign any unprotected UFA/RFA to a deal, but that counts as his selection from their former team.

Old
06-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post

He's also a guy who they'll have to pay $750k to bury in the AHL, with no guarantee that he'll become an NHL goaltender. If they select Grubauer and someone like Pickard, what the hell do they need Ullmark for?

It's a little baffling to me the certainty of some people that Vegas wants to pay a $750k for an AHL goaltender with a sub-.910 career SV% in that league. I think Ullmark has more developing to do, and I'm hopeful that he'll improve, but that's a stiff price for Vegas to pay an AHL goaltender who may not even be a long-term NHL netminder.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

If Ullmark doesn't get selected by Vegas, here is what I think the organizational depth chart in goal looks like:

NHL1 - Lehner
NHL2 - Ullmark

AHL1 - Vet UFA (Mike McKenna for example) or Petersen
AHL2 - Kasdorf

ECHL1 - Johansson

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 04:11 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
If Ullmark doesn't get selected by Vegas, here is what I think the organizational depth chart in goal looks like:

NHL1 - Lehner
NHL2 - Ullmark

AHL1 - Vet UFA (Mike McKenna for example) or Petersen
AHL2 - Kasdorf

ECHL1 - Johansson
Flip Johansson and Kasdorf. Kasdorf was perhaps the worst goalie in professional hockey last year.