HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Oilers Western Conference Favs!!

Old
06-13-2017, 11:22 PM
BCNeil

vCash: 500
Oilers Western Conference Favs!!

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

Summer is way too long this year.

BCNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:47 PM
dookers9

We actually have legitimate reason for optimism this year. Not...naive hopefulness optimism.

Nice.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:08 AM
Soundwave

I agree naive confidence is stupid, but I think legitimately we can hang with anyone in this Conference. We got a lot of "playoff virgin" mistakes out of the system IMO and I think next year we'll be able to play a more normalized game.

Chicago is the only one that kinda worries me but they likely are going to have lose a good player due to cap problems.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:20 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

legit, I think we could win the cup next year. That is pretty exiting.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:32 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Those two playoff series will make this team hungry coming into next season. The losing environment is gone and happier times coming up.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:52 AM
KCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by McOkMcgoMcoil View Post
legit, I think we could win the cup next year. That is pretty exiting.
Depends on what Chiarelli does this off season. The team is not there yet. But they're on the rise for sure.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:00 AM
nexttothemoon
...better... or not

vCash: 50
Well to put a slightly contrarian view on it.... regression could also come in the form of more injuries this coming year (last season was pretty well as optimal as it could get when it comes to injuries).

Talbot, Draisaitl and McDavid need to have years similar to what they just had and the D has to be as good as it was as well.

I think there's reasons to be optimistic... but playing Devil's Advocate... a lot of things have to go right again for this team to have success like they had last season.

I know many will say players like RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Lucic could be better than they were last season and the team will actually take a step forward... but if they have similar results again and the team gets a combination of regression/injuries to one or two key players... look out down below.

Next season could certainly be closer to 90 pts than 100+ again. In every NHL division last season, a team with 93 pts would have missed the playoffs... that's just 5 wins fewer for the Oilers... which could certainly happen next season.

I'm not saying they are going to turn into Colorado and plummet in the standings... I'm just pointing out how easy it would be to have them get 10 fewer pts throughout the season.

I think roster improvements are definitely needed this summer rather than counting on the events of last season to repeat themselves again.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 02:10 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well to put a slightly contrarian view on it.... regression could also come in the form of more injuries this coming year (last season was pretty well as optimal as it could get when it comes to injuries).

Talbot, Draisaitl and McDavid need to have years similar to what they just had and the D has to be as good as it was as well.

I think there's reasons to be optimistic... but playing Devil's Advocate... a lot of things have to go right again for this team to have success like they had last season.

I know many will say players like RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Lucic could be better than they were last season and the team will actually take a step forward... but if they have similar results again and the team gets a combination of regression/injuries to one or two key players... look out down below.

Next season could certainly be closer to 90 pts than 100+ again. In every NHL division last season, a team with 93 pts would have missed the playoffs... that's just 5 wins fewer for the Oilers... which could certainly happen next season.

I'm not saying they are going to turn into Colorado and plummet in the standings... I'm just pointing out how easy it would be to have them get 10 fewer pts throughout the season.

I think roster improvements are definitely needed this summer rather than counting on the events of last season to repeat themselves again.
The Oilers play in arguably the weakest division in hockey and it's getting weaker with our division adding Vegas.

Nothing spectacular has to "go right". McDavid, Draisaitl, and Talbot basically just have to show up, the rest of the team can be dragged half asleep for stretches, which is what happened last year. RNH/Eberle/Lucic really only showed up for 25 games or so, that was our entire secondary scoring. We have no reliable back up. We got nothing from Puljujarvi, even Tkachuk like production would've helped us a lot there. Plenty went wrong last year.

They just need to be healthy around spring time so they can go for it.

You haven't seen the best from McDavid either. Just sit back and enjoy. Many Oiler fans don't understand what it means to have a superstar player on your team because really for the last 25 years or so, aside from small pockets (like one year of Pronger) we've never had a player like that.

Old
06-14-2017, 02:49 AM
nexttothemoon
...better... or not

Vegas joining the division doesn't make it easier for the Oilers. I fully expect Vegas to be a basement team but that won't help the OIlers. They had to be top 8 out of 14 teams... now it's top 8 out of 15 teams. They may play Vegas a couple extra games than some teams in the Central... but that's not going to be make or break them either (Pacific all will feast on Vegas as well).

Hell who knows.. Vegas may not be quite the pushover that people think they will be. I expect their D and G to be at least average in the NHL... they'll probably have a lot of 1 goals losses where their offense can't quite get over the hump... but who knows.. a couple decent forwards added to that lineup and they could surprise a lot of people.

This team is still essentially a 1-line team... when McDavid and Drai aren't going... (or if Talbot isn't on his game)... they aren't winning much.

I don't like relying on those 3 for basically everything. I expect McD to continue his Hart Ross ways next year again... but this team needs some scoring depth and Drai splitting from McDavid is one way to try and help that... but there goes the only solid combo this team has.

Talbot doesn't have a proven backup to give him relief. He seems to play best when he gets plenty of action... but is that smart to push him to 70+ games again?

Then there's the fact that if Talbot gets injured... the team is toast. Brossoit could even end up in Vegas so there goes the only "slightly" proven backup on the team.

The Oilers already have one key dman in the infirmary for likely the first 20-30 games at least... and another key dman has one foot out the door in free agency.

Yes it's too early to be worrying... I'm just pointing out the obvious... this team is not guaranteed to repeat last season's results without Chia getting some decent bodies into the lineup that can help when/if the "Big 3" have some difficulties carrying this team all season yet again.

Old
06-14-2017, 04:04 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 125
Agreed that it seems like wishful thinking. Oilers have several candidates for regression at several positions, and even though the season is 3 months away from starting they already have a more significant injury than they had for all of last year.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 04:45 AM
Elftor

If the 6 million dollar men show up for most of the season, we'll be 2nd only to Chicago. If Lucic and Eberle go MIA for 30 games again we'll probably be 2nd in the division again. Anything can happen when we have so many young players who are able to have this year be their breakout season.

Elftor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Stoneman89

I think there will be regression in some players, but overall, the benefits of doing what they did last year is going to help the entire group. Nurse should be better, which will be huge. Lack of injuries were a huge benefit to us last year, and I doubt we'll be so lucky 2 years in a row, so having more depth will be crucial. Dependent on what happens with the Eberle situation ( I think he's gone) could also help us in an area we need it. The important thing is that the young guys learned from the stretch run and playoffs and carry the experience forward.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 10:37 AM
Crabapple

vCash: 398
Depends on our D imo. We need to get at least one more top 4 D.

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Regression can happen to any team. Injuries can happen to any team.

Let's not pretend that both of those are mutually exclusive to the Edmonton Oilers.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 10:41 AM
McDuul

We aren't winning anything with our D group as it currently is.

McDuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Agreed that it seems like wishful thinking. Oilers have several candidates for regression at several positions, and even though the season is 3 months away from starting they already have a more significant injury than they had for all of last year.
Id argue its the opposite. Oilers have more players in a position to bounce back, and also continue developing

RNH + Eberle bouncing back could add 10-15 goals
Lucic was a bit snake bitten and unlucky underlying numbers
Pouliot being semi good could 5 extra goals
Nurse+ Benning continue to develop
Klefbom continue to develop into a #1, Larsson to a great #2
Puljujarvi could take off ala Draisaitl in his second year
Cagguila prime candidate to "break out", Slepyshev could develop even more too

LD, McDavid and Talbot all had sustainable underlying numbers

Only big regression candidate is Maroon. Shot 18%, and I expect him to see a regression in goal totals to 15-20 when shooting % normalizes to career average

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:54 AM
SullivanT

Oilers in 6 against Tampa book it

SullivanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:56 PM
nexttothemoon
...better... or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullivanT View Post
Oilers in 6 against Tampa book it
Bold... I hope you are right.

Old
06-17-2017, 08:51 PM
The Panther

Hard to say what'll happen next season. I'm 90% sure it'll be an exciting and entertaining season, right down to the end, which is about 50% more certain than I've been for a decade.

There's no guarantee that they'll make the playoffs, but it seems likely. Besides the Oilers' own play, a lot of that obviously depends on the strength of competition. This is where the Oilers might be catching a break -- Vancouver and Las Vegas are going to suck. L.A. is bottoming out. Calgary and Winnipeg are building, but I don't think they're ready to seriously compete yet (never know). The real issue is the California teams in San Jose and Anaheim that the Oil just faced in the playoffs. If either of those teams has a downward fall, the Oilers just might be on easy-street vis-a-vis making the playoffs. I could see that happening, actually.

On the other hand, Talbot and McDavid could break their legs in training camp and the season is shot.

The Panther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 02:34 AM
OILERZ

vCash: 346
I thought we would go deep this playoffs if not for the goalie interference fiasco happening twice and RNH/Eberle's vanishing act in game 7. We have McDavid who is going to be even better (surprised he scored 30 goals as I thought his shot was just average heading in, I bet he scores around 40 next), actual playoff experience, and now Chia's evaluation period is over. I can see us in the Western Conference finals for sure.

97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Mcikinzom

Allow me to put on my tinfoil hat. The league already plays favorites with the California teams and Arizona. Now you are adding another market the NHL is trying to grow and you will see the constant ref boning this team recieves increase. Its not easy playing in a division where half the teams are babysat by the league. Its only going to get harder.

Mcikinzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 01:15 AM
nexttothemoon
...better... or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcikinzom View Post
Allow me to put on my tinfoil hat. The league already plays favorites with the California teams and Arizona. Now you are adding another market the NHL is trying to grow and you will see the constant ref boning this team recieves increase. Its not easy playing in a division where half the teams are babysat by the league. Its only going to get harder.
I don't think that's tinfoil hat stuff at all... it's absolute facts.

Old
06-21-2017, 02:01 AM
Soundwave

I hate to say it but I think Talbot needs to learn to dive a bit in net. If he sold either one of those calls a little more they would have gone in the Oilers favour. Sucks that we're in a league where being honourable isn't rewarded, but it is what it is.