HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you are Vegas which Oiler would you take?

Old
06-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

vCash: 500
Maybe they'll surprise us and take Mark Fayne. They might be able to flip him for a pick later in the season.

Hemsky is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

When I did my mock expansion draft, I had Mark Letestu going to Vegas from Edm.

Do you guys project him to be protected or available?

Seems like the kind of veteran player an expansion team would want.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 06:14 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

He'll be protected.

BarDownBobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 06:43 PM
Mr Positive
more trades please

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
There must be more proven backups out there than Brossoit.
Brossoit has the added value of being young enough to be your future starter if he develops well. That is not very common, and even if there are a couple better options for Vegas, Vegas isn't just getting players for themselves. There will be a bunch of players they will pick just to shop to other teams around the league. Brossoit is very valuable in that way, more than Reinhart probably.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 07:20 PM
Glass

Reinhart is waiver eligible next season. So he'd be essentially drafted as their #6 or #7 D. I don't know about you guys, but I kind of think that there are better options available, am I wrong?

Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 07:54 PM
OilTastic
Embrace The Hate

^the guy needs to play before declaring him a bust so Vegas will likely take Reinhart and he'll be given every chance to be a second pairing d-man.

OilTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 08:27 PM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Brossoit has the added value of being young enough to be your future starter if he develops well. That is not very common, and even if there are a couple better options for Vegas, Vegas isn't just getting players for themselves. There will be a bunch of players they will pick just to shop to other teams around the league. Brossoit is very valuable in that way, more than Reinhart probably.
Cam Ward, Fleury, Korpisalon (CBJ), Neuvirth, Grubauer, . There are lots better options at goal for the Knights than Brossoit.

I suspect Vegas will end up taking Khaira.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:08 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Reinhart or Pouliot depending.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 12:02 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Reinhart is waiver eligible next season. So he'd be essentially drafted as their #6 or #7 D. I don't know about you guys, but I kind of think that there are better options available, am I wrong?
They will end up loading up on #4 D since more of those available than top 6 forwards and trade of bunch of them for forwards. They'll keep some cheap young 6-8 D men guaranteed.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 12:13 AM
nexttothemoon
Streak Breakers Inc

vCash: 50
Khaira is the best forward available to Vegas and Oesterle is the best dman available to Vegas from the Oilers.

edit... Just remembered that Oesterle is a UFA... so if they want to sign him they might as well take a different Oiler instead. Khaira it is then.

Both Khaira and Oesterle have some good potential to be quality NHL players going forward if they keep developing and improving.

I would also sign both Fontaine and Russell in the UFA market if I was the Vegas GM as they are both underrated NHL players... especially Fontaine who is an excellent 2-way forward that seems to be lost in the shuffle but I'm hoping to see him get a shot with Vegas or another NHL club this year.

Last edited by nexttothemoon; 06-15-2017 at 12:26 AM..
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 12:29 AM
VainGretzky
Obnoxious Oil Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
They will end up loading up on #4 D since more of those available than top 6 forwards and trade of bunch of them for forwards. They'll keep some cheap young 6-8 D men guaranteed.
This makes the most sense for Vegas to do , and I see it as well.

VainGretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Cam Ward, Fleury, Korpisalon (CBJ), Neuvirth, Grubauer, . There are lots better options at goal for the Knights than Brossoit.

I suspect Vegas will end up taking Khaira.
You also have to factor availability of a teams other players. Colombus for example will have quality skaters available iirc. Neuvirth shouldn't have any value, he's an older backup, and neither should Ward as a poor start/great backup (although Carolina has virtually nothing of value exposed). Grubauer and Fleury certainly do have value though and the unmentioned Raanta is a guy i think they could target too but again NY has some skaters that might intrigue (Stepan/Grabner).

Vegas is going to have a hard time choosing a goalie over any available quality forward or dman given how many quality/decent tenders are available and the value of dmen. Edmonton doesn't have a lot of quality available unless Vegas really values Reinhart or Kharia while many of the other teams with good young goalies do, so i think Brossoit is still a very reasonable possibility. This I would imagine is a factor too. In fact the lack of top 6 forwards might even see Vegas take a flyer on a guy like Pouliot.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 12:39 AM
nexttothemoon
Streak Breakers Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
You also have to factor availability of a teams other players. Colombus for example will have quality skaters available iirc. Neuvirth shouldn't have any value, he's an older backup, and neither should Ward as a poor start/great backup (although Carolina has virtually nothing of value exposed). Grubauer and Fleury certainly do have value though and the unmentioned Raanta is a guy i think they could target too but again NY has some skaters that might intrigue (Stepan/Grabner).

Vegas is going to have a hard time choosing a goalie over any available quality forward or dman given how many quality/decent tenders are available and the value of dmen. Edmonton doesn't have a lot of quality available unless Vegas really values Reinhart or Kharia while many of the other teams with good young goalies do, so i think Brossoit is still a very reasonable possibility. This I would imagine is a factor too. In fact the lack of top 6 forwards might even see Vegas take a flyer on a guy like Pouliot.

That's actually a well reasoned point.

Reinhart/Pouliot/Khaira aren't really high end choices at all so I could see Brossoit going as the "default" pick from the Oilers because 29 other teams likely have better forwards/dmen to select from than the Oilers.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 02:59 AM
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!

Quote:

Barring any major surprises (or trades), I'd imagine the Oilers' protection list is pretty predictable.

Lucic, Draisaitl, RNH, Eberle, Maroon, Letestu, Kassian
Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson
Talbot

With Pouliot, Pakarinen, Khaira, Reinhart, and Brossoit being the best players left exposed.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 03:37 AM
SupremeTeam16
5-14-6-1

I'd probably go with Reinhart but I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that they take Pouliot.

He's an analytics darling, can play PK/PP and he's a guy who's showed he can play in the top 6. He always seems to do well first year coming to a team, they could play him in the top 6 with some PP time and he probably puts up decent numbers. Next summer if you aren't completely happy with him could probably retain 1-2M on his final year and get a pick or prospect from a team looking for depth.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 06:35 AM
Bangers

Hope they take Poo. Think they'll take Reinhart.

Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 07:07 AM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post

I think you overstate the quality available on other teams. McPhee is experienced enough to understand that picking Brossoit would be a waste of a pick.

Losing Brossoit would mean that the Knights are really undervaluing the goalie position.

Barring a deal in place with the Oilers, I see Pouliot as a much more likely pick than Brossoit. I really don't think the Knigts will pick either tbh.

Last edited by shoop; 06-15-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Old
06-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
Barring any major surprises (or trades), I'd imagine the Oilers' protection list is pretty predictable.

Lucic, Draisaitl, RNH, Eberle, Maroon, Letestu, Kassian
Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson
Talbot

With Pouliot, Pakarinen, Khaira, Reinhart, and Brossoit being the best players left exposed.
Thanks. I had Khaira protected over Letestu. Really like Khaira.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
We gave up a 2nd, 3rd and 7th round pick to get Talbot, a guy who had shown some decent talent in the NHL. What do you think teams will give up for Brossoit? If they take him they have to be planning on playing him and developing him into something. As others have said there are probably better options.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 04:06 PM
oil4life97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
This!

oil4life97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 04:48 PM
OilDrop37

Pakarinen maybe?

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 04:51 PM
MinimaMoralia

I wouldn't be surprised if they took ol' Benpoo. To the benefit of everyone involved. He's a good vet to have for a team not expected to win right away.

MinimaMoralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 04:55 PM
shoop

Quote:
Thanks. I had Khaira protected over Letestu. Really like Khaira.
No way the Oilers protect Khaira over Letestu. tbh I don't think the Oilers are upset about losing Khaira in the draft if it happens. Ideally you'd like to keep him around, but if you gotta lose somebody Khaira is a relatively painless loss.

Old
06-15-2017, 05:05 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
This

McOkMcgoMcoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 12:04 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
I think you overstate the quality available on other teams. McPhee is experienced enough to understand that picking Brossoit would be a waste of a pick.

Losing Brossoit would mean that the Knights are really undervaluing the goalie position.

Barring a deal in place with the Oilers, I see Pouliot as a much more likely pick than Brossoit. I really don't think the Knigts will pick either tbh.
My money is on Kharia or Reinhart too but it's not that cut and dry. Lets look at the top goalies and their teams protected lists and why they might not take them. First things first they might end up with Fleury, and that alone makes any other goalie nearly irrelevant if they keep him. If not they could even go with a guy like Elliott as their starter and focus on getting a good young goalie, like Brossoit, and not giving up the chance at one of the best skaters available.

Grubauer - Played behind an excellent Washington team and Dcore against the lesser lights of the league. Obviously a quality young goalie but he isn't big and is 25 so he's either ready for prime time or he isn't. Even more importantly Washington is going to have some good players exposed as of now. 7-3-1 sees them likely expose Schmidt assuming Niskanen-Carlson-Orlov as their D and Connolly and Beagle at forward. 5-3-1 sees one of Eller-Wilson exposed.

Korpisalo- Has worse numbers than Brossoit believe it or not and even then Forsberg might be a better pick given his waiver situation and better AHL numbers. I'd suggest both are overrated quite frankly. Most importantly however Columbus is as far as anyone knows going to have to protect Hartnell meaning that in a 7-3-1 they are exposing Anderson, Karlsson up front and one of Johnson/Murray on the backend. Even if they can protect Anderson if Harntell waives they're still exposing a very good dman that is worth more in a trade than the goalie they'd be giving up. A 5-3-1 scenario even assuming Harnell waives is going to shake loose an even better player in exposing Jenner and Wennberg (no chance he's exposed), and even if Dubinsky does too (he won't) they'll still expose Jenner.

Raanta - You didn't mention him but he's actually probably the best guy avaliable after Fleury, however Grabner, Fast, and Lindberg are potentially all of value and there's even a rumor NY may expose Stepan to get out of the contract (seems far fetched tbh). Again Raanta would be the backup if they hold onto Fleury, but in saying that i'd probably take him and flip Fleury myself. However Fast and Lindberg are two solid young forwards who may be able to play 2nd line minutes reasonably well for them for years to come and their aren't a lot of options like that out there. Grabner obviously has some intrigue too.

Pickard - He's a definite possibility, but other than a solid run last year in 20 games he certainly hasn't tracked any better than Brossoit. However Colorado isn't likely to have a ton of good players exposed. They've said they'll be protecting Varlamov but it doesn't make a ton of sense given his performance and contract likely make him poison to Vegas so Pickard may not even be available if they change their minds.

Subban - He's an interesting young goalie, not a ton of NHL success and his numbers in the AHL suggest stagnation but he's certainly been a solid goalie for them in the AHL and Vegas might value him more than the one Millers on D who'll be exposed (likely Kevan), but i'd think not given both played important minutes for a playoff team and Colin has some real upside.

Believe it or not Brossoit has had a very good start to his pro career, this year was a bit of a blip in the AHL, but he certainly got the job done in his limited NHL action and has largely been excellent in the minors relative to his age. Brossoit is athletic, young, and big while being possibly the most valuable young goalie relative to available players for Vegas. Look at the guys listed and their AHL numbers and you'll see Brossoit has actually been very comparable.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote