HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you are Vegas which Oiler would you take?

Old
06-17-2017, 12:29 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Pouliot is the only real NHLer, but I think it depends more on what Vegas needs. If they can afford to pick some young players who could develop into something more, then JJ or Reinhart are decent bets.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:31 AM
UnicornONtheCOBB

vCash: 500
I'd gamble on Griffin. he's young and has pedigree and upside. Worth the shot, if you ask me.

UnicornONtheCOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Hockey Fan #751

I think Oilers expose Letestu in order to steer Vegas away from Reinhart.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:25 PM
McDNicks17
Leon!

vCash: 50
Why are people so worried about losing Reinhart?

Is it just because of what Chia gave up for him? Take your lumps and move on. Don't make it worse by giving up an actual NHLer too.

There's a very good chance he won't even be the best defenseman on his AHL team next season let alone on an NHL roster.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDNicks17 View Post

Is it just because of what Chia gave up for him? Take your lumps and move on. Don't make it worse by giving up an actual NHLer too.

There's a very good chance he won't even be the best defenseman on his AHL team next season let alone on an NHL roster.
He also has to clear waivers, I think. So Vegas would have to keep him on their roster or risk losing him for nothing. I've gotta think with all the good defencemen available that they wouldn't take Reinhart but I could also see the Oilers overthinking it given the acquisition cost.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 04:10 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:

For me it's because of the uncertainty surrounding Sekera and Russell. Having a cheaper internal replacement is a nice option. Plus he had a really good year in the AHL and didn't look out of place when he was thrown into a playoff game. If he's still here in the fall I believe he'll surprise a lot of people here and some major crow will be eaten.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 09:00 PM
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

I think they'll take Reinhart. I like Khaira but they would really have to see something in him to take him. I could see them taking a shot on Brossoit but I'd bet money it'll be Reinhart.

I still think Reinhart will have a solid career in the NHL, and his very limited time in the playoffs further cemented that for me.

PeakMcOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 09:12 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakMcOil View Post
I think they'll take Reinhart. I like Khaira but they would really have to see something in him to take him. I could see them taking a shot on Brossoit but I'd bet money it'll be Reinhart.

I still think Reinhart will have a solid career in the NHL, and his very limited time in the playoffs further cemented that for me.
Will the Oilers announce who they protect?

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Soundwave

Yeah I see Reinhart too. They're gonna be loaded at D.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Perfect_Drug

I see Pouliot. Because Vegas is going to be icing a competitive roster on Day 1.

They're projected to already have a very Legit NHL Calibre Defense with 8 Dmen better than Reinhart:

Methot - Vatanen
Sbisa - Stempniak
Ouellet - Demers
Schmidt - L.Schenn

Lets assume Flower is their starter:

Their forwards will need to score by committee:

Zucker - Shipachyov - Neal
Perron - Nametnikov - Grabner
Boedker - Plekanec - Josh Anderson
Eakin - Grigorenko - Strome

Pouliot makes that left wing look a lot nicer, pushing Boedker down. He adds a lot more depth to that forward group than Reinhart would to an established NHL D group.

Hate to say this, but I don't forsee this team finishing dead last in the league. I'm betting Colorado Vancouver and maybe even Buffalo are below them in the standings. Especially if they can land Radulov and or Kovalchuk. Maybe flip us a RHD for Eberle?

Last edited by Perfect_Drug: 06-18-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 12:55 AM
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I see Pouliot. Because Vegas is going to be icing a competitive roster on Day 1.

They're projected to already have a very Legit NHL Calibre Defense with 8 Dmen better than Reinhart:

Methot - Vatanen
Sbisa - Stempniak
Ouellet - Demers
Schmidt - L.Schenn

Lets assume Flower is their starter:

Their forwards will need to score by committee:

Zucker - Shipachyov - Neal
Perron - Nametnikov - Grabner
Boedker - Plekanec - Josh Anderson
Eakin - Grigorenko - Strome

Pouliot makes that left wing look a lot nicer, pushing Boedker down. He adds a lot more depth to that forward group than Reinhart would to an established NHL D group.

Hate to say this, but I don't forsee this team finishing dead last in the league. I'm betting Colorado Vancouver and maybe even Buffalo are below them in the standings. Especially if they can land Radulov and or Kovalchuk. Maybe flip us a RHD for Eberle?
I have a feeling LV will load up on D-men, then trade a few of them for forwards. Why trade for Pouliot when you can get a better forward (like Eberle) for one of your D-men, then slot Reinhart in as a cheap bottom-pairing/7th Dman?

The only ways I see LV going another direction is if: a) his back doesn't hole up to a medical, or b) they really like JJ's size.

Bangers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 01:18 AM
McDNicks17
Leon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
I have a feeling LV will load up on D-men, then trade a few of them for forwards. Why trade for Pouliot when you can get a better forward (like Eberle) for one of your D-men, then slot Reinhart in as a cheap bottom-pairing/7th Dman?

The only ways I see LV going another direction is if: a) his back doesn't hole up to a medical, or b) they really like JJ's size.
Because even if you want just a cheap bottom pairing/7th D, there's 29 teams with a better option than Reinhart.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 01:18 AM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post

Eberle has to get more than one body back in any trade with Vegas. They won't have anybody of equal value to trade back, but they might be able to send back a few needed parts.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 04:31 AM
Bangers

Quote:
Because even if you want just a cheap bottom pairing/7th D, there's 29 teams with a better option than Reinhart.
So, who else are they going to take from the Oil? Poo was garbage last year, Fayne is worse than Reinhart (and has a worse contract), and JJ is an unproven B level prospect that may not pan out to much.

Bangers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:27 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Not really actually

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:44 AM
Zaddy Zads

They might just take Reinhart and then flip him for a mid-round pick to a team like Vancouver. I could see the Canucks having interest in using him as a #6/7 D this year. Local boy too and still has some upside. Feels like a typical Benning move. If Vegas wants an actual NHLer though that can provide depth on the left wing, then Pouliot is really not that bad of an option. I could see him bouncing back this year. He's been a pretty consistent 15g, 30-35pt player. That's still pretty useful, especially for a team who is going to be offensively challenged. Don't see Khaira as an option at all, and it would really surprise me if they took LB. Maybe they just give Russell the money he wants. I could see that happening too.

Zaddy Zads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
They might just take Reinhart and then flip him for a mid-round pick to a team like Vancouver. I could see the Canucks having interest in using him as a #6/7 D this year. Local boy too and still has some upside. Feels like a typical Benning move. If Vegas wants an actual NHLer though that can provide depth on the left wing, then Pouliot is really not that bad of an option. I could see him bouncing back this year. He's been a pretty consistent 15g, 30-35pt player. That's still pretty useful, especially for a team who is going to be offensively challenged. Don't see Khaira as an option at all, and it would really surprise me if they took LB. Maybe they just give Russell the money he wants. I could see that happening too.
They dont take a young, steadily developing, 4th overall defensive with top 4 potential prospect like Reinhart and flip him for a mid round pick... To a divisional rival. Even Tambo wasnt that bad at asset management. No one is that bad.

For the next four years we have Sekera and Klefbom. If we keep Reinhart through the expansion draft I personally think it makes Nurse completely redundant. Nurse is a solid bottom pairing guy with a ton of upside. But will be pricier to keep and Reinhart can easily replace him on the bottom pairing and quite likely Sekera in 4 years. Plus we still have good LD prospects waiting in the wings.

If they take Reinhart its to play him as a solid 6/7 themselves. Sure they have better options but none with the potential, status, and price tag of Reinhart.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 08:45 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Heck, I'd give Vegas a second-rounder for Reinhart.

Yeah, I'm aware of our dearth of second-rounders.

Can you trade for the player Vegas took from you.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Heck, I'd give Vegas a second-rounder for Reinhart.

Yeah, I'm aware of our dearth of second-rounders.

Can you trade for the player Vegas took from you.
Not for one year I have heard.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:44 AM
nabob
:]

Lots of good young D available. I actually see them taking Poo.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

My first guess was Pouliot would be gone to LV, but the more I scan the available list I wonder about Laurent Brossoit .

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
They dont take a young, steadily developing, 4th overall defensive with top 4 potential prospect like Reinhart and flip him for a mid round pick... To a divisional rival. Even Tambo wasnt that bad at asset management. No one is that bad.

For the next four years we have Sekera and Klefbom. If we keep Reinhart through the expansion draft I personally think it makes Nurse completely redundant. Nurse is a solid bottom pairing guy with a ton of upside. But will be pricier to keep and Reinhart can easily replace him on the bottom pairing and quite likely Sekera in 4 years. Plus we still have good LD prospects waiting in the wings.

If they take Reinhart its to play him as a solid 6/7 themselves. Sure they have better options but none with the potential, status, and price tag of Reinhart.
Disagree with the bolded. Him being a former 4th overall doesn't matter at all 5 years later. And he hasn't developed all that much since his draft year. Don't see the "top4 potential" part either. Just way too slow. The only thing I could agree with is that maybe they don't want to move him to a division rival and would look to move him elsewhere. Vegas want to collect assets and Reinhart is the only one of the players exposed by the Oilers that could generate them an asset. From what it looks like, they'll have many D better than Reinhart on their roster so there's no reason for them to keep him.

Zaddy Zads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 10:03 AM
nabob
:]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post

Reinhart make Nurse redundant? Did I read that right?

Not sure many people view Griff as being steadily developing or having top 4 potential anymore.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 10:14 AM
McGhost Division
Pray for Matthews

vCash: 600
I think Griff is gone.

Reports I've seen is that his game took a leap this season in the AHL, I can't see Vegas looking the other way.

McGhost Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 10:18 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 9240
I think people looking at the lists and saying "oh this D-man is available"

we know there are side deals--no one knows what they are

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote