HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Brownlee Doctors Lowe's Comments

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Big T

vCash: 500
Brownlee Doctors Lowe's Comments

This is the quote Robin Brownlee put in today's SUN:

"I have made it perfectly clear to everyone, including Rich, that we will do what is best for the Edmonton Oilers. Even though they have gone public with their request to be traded, it changes nothing and we will continue to focus on what we feel is the best course of action.

"I want to make this perfectly clear: I think Mike is a great kid and a very good player. This is not personal. I work for the Edmonton Oilers and will always try to do what is right for the team."

This is the quote on the Oiler's website:

“I have made it perfectly clear to everyone, including Rich, that we will do what is best for the Edmonton Oilers. Even though they have gone public with their request to be traded, it changes nothing, and we will continue to focus on what we feel is the best course of action.”

Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie. Lowe says, “I want to make this perfectly clear; I think Mike is a great kid and a very good player. This is not personal. I work for the Edmonton Oilers and will always try do what’s right for the team.”

See the difference? Brownlee didn't put in the part about how Lowe was would welcome Comrie back in the line-up.

Why is this?

Brownlee has been trying to get Comrie out of town for some time now and Kevin Lowe inviting Comrie back to the team clearly gets in the way of this.

I have no idea why Brownlee wants Comrie out of town so bad except that maybe he thinks he'll win a Pullitzer for being the first to break the story .

Everybody has their biasses, whether their talking about George W Bush or trading Mike Comrie. I guess you can't believe everything you read then, can you?

T

Old
10-28-2003, 10:41 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
This is the quote Robin Brownlee put in today's SUN:

"I have made it perfectly clear to everyone, including Rich, that we will do what is best for the Edmonton Oilers. Even though they have gone public with their request to be traded, it changes nothing and we will continue to focus on what we feel is the best course of action.

"I want to make this perfectly clear: I think Mike is a great kid and a very good player. This is not personal. I work for the Edmonton Oilers and will always try to do what is right for the team."

This is the quote on the Oiler's website:

“I have made it perfectly clear to everyone, including Rich, that we will do what is best for the Edmonton Oilers. Even though they have gone public with their request to be traded, it changes nothing, and we will continue to focus on what we feel is the best course of action.”

Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie. Lowe says, “I want to make this perfectly clear; I think Mike is a great kid and a very good player. This is not personal. I work for the Edmonton Oilers and will always try do what’s right for the team.”

See the difference? Brownlee didn't put in the part about how Lowe was would welcome Comrie back in the line-up.

Why is this?

Brownlee has been trying to get Comrie out of town for some time now and Kevin Lowe inviting Comrie back to the team clearly gets in the way of this.

I have no idea why Brownlee wants Comrie out of town so bad except that maybe he thinks he'll win a Pullitzer for being the first to break the story .

Everybody has their biasses, whether their talking about George W Bush or trading Mike Comrie. I guess you can't believe everything you read then, can you?

T
It's not that Brownlee lied or said something false. He simply didn't present the WHOLE story. He told a half lie.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
The direct quotes look identical to me.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk
The direct quotes look identical to me.
But Brownlee didn't mention this part of the Lowe Statement....

Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I have lost alot of respect for Robin Browlee since this whole Mike Comrie fiasco. All media writers choose what they write, and there is nothing wrong with that (well i think it's wrong, but still socially acceptable). But Robin is using his position to try and ignite the flames, this is why I no longer read his articles. He is an objective writer, and I don't like him.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:59 AM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I have lost alot of respect for Robin Browlee since this whole Mike Comrie fiasco. All media writers choose what they write, and there is nothing wrong with that (well i think it's wrong, but still socially acceptable). But Robin is using his position to try and ignite the flames, this is why I no longer read his articles. He is an objective writer, and I don't like him.
I have no problem with subjectivity, every writer puts their opinion into a piece—consciously or unconsciously and in varying degrees, but it's there.

The problem as I see it is that Brownlee is trying to CREATE news, which is something no self-respecting writer should do. It seems he chose the angle he was going to take with the piece and omitted information that might run contrary to that angle.

It is unfortunate and tasteless, but I'm sure it sells papers. He may not have his readers' respect, but his bosses have their money, and he has his.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:05 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T

Why is this?

If this real life episode were a book titled The Comrie Conspiracy and you were about half-way through you might ask:
1. Did Brownlee not include the whole quote because he is a Winter Lackey and wants it to appear that Lowe wants Comrie out of Edmonton? That way people will blame Kevin, not Mike.
2. Is Brownlee really a Lowe Lackey and Lowe really wants Comrie out of town so he has a small press release and then asks Winter to omit details for wider circulation? When people blame Kevin he points to his press release and blames Mike.
3. Does Brownlee want to prove that Poti wasn't a fluke?

If this were a book I'd just skip to the end because this is too frustrating.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
But Brownlee didn't mention this part of the Lowe Statement....

Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie.
You will note that the above text you provided is not in quotations, which means Lowe never said it. Perhaps he meant to say it, or perhaps that is the message the Oilers PR department wishes to portray, but it certainly isn't a direct quote. Brownlee provided the direct quotes, and it is up to the reader to decide what to make of them. It is not the role of a newspaper, or a reporter to reprint word-for-word the text of a company’s press release.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Mr Sakich

we must all remember that the only reason that the sun has hired Brownlee is to sell newspapers. They are not trying to win a pulitzer, they are a private enterprise trying to turn a profit. If Brownlee has to create a reason for people to buy a newspaper, then he has a duty to his employer to do that.

As long as he isn't printing slander or maliscious comments, he is entitled to cover a story in the way that sells the most papers.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:22 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
we must all remember that the only reason that the sun has hired Brownlee is to sell newspapers. They are not trying to win a pulitzer, they are a private enterprise trying to turn a profit. If Brownlee has to create a reason for people to buy a newspaper, then he has a duty to his employer to do that.

As long as he isn't printing slander or maliscious comments, he is entitled to cover a story in the way that sells the most papers.
Maybe he really wants to work for the NY Times. Until recently it has been acceptable there to make up stories.

Old
10-28-2003, 02:12 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Brownlee has turned the Sun Sports section into a tabloid since the Comrie situation began. I read his coloumn for a laugh and nothing more.

Old
10-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Hemmer

Guys, from a simply academic standpoint, it may have been easier syntactically to omit the portion about Comrie being welcomed back. There are certain rules to follow when quoting material, and it may have been unnecessarily cumbersome to use the entire quote. From my point of view, he communicated all of the necessary information.

Old
10-28-2003, 04:23 PM
CementCo

Brownlee article

the strange part of this story for me is that Brownlee used quotes from a press release rather than talking directly with Lowe. This to me shows sloppiness, especially from the Edmonton's Sun hockey beat writer.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:06 PM
OYLer

Seems to me, this attempt to spin the language is just all so much posturing by vested but not yet invested interests. It's Brownlee's job to eek out controversy from the leavings dropped somewhat odorously by the respective negotiative players. Winters/Comrie would gladly take on the role of Edmonton's Prodigal Son Returnth, If behind door #2, the Price is Right.

Behind door #1, Lowe would pee all over himself, if Comrie accepted his qualifying offer and arrived back into the lineup with fire in his belly, and a real committment to hang a sixth banner of hockey supremacy in his hometown arena.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I never do put any worth to what I read of Brownlees. BUT I will give him credit that he is an EXCELLENT journalist - as he gets noticed, without going overboard. He gets people talking and interested (this thread is evidence of that).

Old
10-28-2003, 07:29 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

exactly thome i read his posts all the time, the reason he grabs headlines no matter how ridiculous his stories are. i question his motives however that is the point isn't it, guess what i just read his post didnt i.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:14 AM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk
You will note that the above text you provided is not in quotations, which means Lowe never said it. Perhaps he meant to say it, or perhaps that is the message the Oilers PR department wishes to portray, but it certainly isn't a direct quote. Brownlee provided the direct quotes, and it is up to the reader to decide what to make of them. It is not the role of a newspaper, or a reporter to reprint word-for-word the text of a company’s press release.

What Brownlee omitted was context. And that is the same thing as misrepresenting a quote.

I don't mean to point at Brownlee and insinuate he is a bad person or even a bad writer. What I want to point out is that everyone has their biasses including me and it's important we take these into consideration when we are deciding what to make of this situation.

You and I could read the exact same quote and come to different conclusions. The point I'm trying to get at is on the small chance Comrie does come back, I hope like hell the fans don't boo him to death b/c of Brownlee's articles alone. If your going to boo the the guy, or any other guy, make sure you know all the facts.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:15 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CementCo
the strange part of this story for me is that Brownlee used quotes from a press release rather than talking directly with Lowe. This to me shows sloppiness, especially from the Edmonton's Sun hockey beat writer.
Perhaps that was all Lowe would give him? Maybe Lowe wouldn't even talk to him: "read the press release, that's what it's for". Just cos a reporter comes callin', doesn't mean the GM's gotta answer.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:09 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I never do put any worth to what I read of Brownlees. BUT I will give him credit that he is an EXCELLENT journalist - as he gets noticed, without going overboard. He gets people talking and interested (this thread is evidence of that).
I'd agree with most of this... except the fact that he is an excellent journalist. Maybe replace journalist with rumour-mongor and then I'll accept the above statement.

When someone says journalist to me, I expect a certain level of objectivity. I would say tabloid writers are also excellent at what they do, as they sell lots of papers, but I wouldn't classify them as excellent journalists.

Brownlee's pretty tabloid. His articles spark debate, and I'll read - but I'll always take with a grain of salt. I like that Tychkowski though.

Closed Thread