Notices

Savard needs some Love...

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Qubax

vCash: 500
Savard needs some Love...

nothing to take away from kovalchuk's incredible start, without Heatley and with the tragedy's, but Marc Savard has been nothing short of sensational...and I am aurprsied he is not getting a little more press...

In last nights game he played over 27 minutes and had a total of 36 shifts, Kovalchuk played a little over 28 miniutes so slightly more then Savard but Kovalchuk only had 30 shofts not 36 ...so obviously Ilya takes a little longer getting to the bench....

Savard has had some mazing nights in teh Faceoff Circle and some okay and below average nights in face offs...

But he has been a real horse.....Man does Hartley ride Kovalchuk and Savard huge..I love it...

As a Flames fan I was very frustated when they traded Savard to Atlanta but man oh man has he taken off..I want him to saty with the Flames and realize his unlimted potential with Calgary but he has really turned heads with the Thrashers....

He's not big, He's not the fastest guy either...But interms of just raw skill..natural out and out talent he's one of the better centreman in the league...I would say Joe Sakic skill or better....

Thing is Kovalchuk is skilled partly because of his sick physical tools, he's big, fast, determined.....those things make ti hard to stop him at the best of times and Kovalchuk is also immensly talented...but Savard is running on sheer talent and will alone...and it's nice to see Hartley is giving him the chance to make the most of it....

What do you Thrasher fans see in Savard..? Am in in left field on this one...or do you have something to add...?

Thanks

Old
10-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Atlanta Jim

Savard

What do you Thrasher fans see in Savard..? Am in in left field on this one...or do you have something to add...?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

They talk a lot about him on the Thrashers tv appearances. He had some big goals for us last year and that line of Heatly, Savard, Koz was racking up some serious points at the end of the year. I think a lot of people thought with Heatly gone and McEarchern in his production would drop. Obviously it hasn't. What impresses me about Savard is the punishment he takes in front. He gets in there and gets hacked and smashed but still puts shots in the net. Funny thing is a friend of mine went to a Thrashers - Fans social thing and Savard was there. He turned to my friend and said "you want me to sign anything". My friend said that he was caught off guard because the guy was so small he didn't think he was a Thrasher. This was right after we got him from Calgary. Kovy deserves all the alcolades he gets but for TEAM MVP this year I think Savard is Co-winner......so far. We were 0-10 last year so this start is huge for us.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Qubax

Yea thanks for the response Atlanta JIm....

I am a Flames season Ticket holder and once when Savard was out with some like minor injury I saw him walking around the DOme and he gladly gave me an autograph and talked to me...

I don't think he's a jerk..I think he just wanted a chance to play and that things got personal betweem Greg Gilbert,( the Flames Coach at the time) and Marc.

I think Savard is a bit of a pest a bit of a Theo Fleury in your face type of guy every time he scores a big game winner or something he just goes nuts, jumping, screaming Huggin...He desparetly wants to win..it's like he hates the other team and that may make him seem kind of snobby and inconsiderate....but I think it bodes real well for Thrasther success as him as the main Centreman...

and as I say when you talk to him off the ice he's a real gentleman so what can I say....

I just hope he gets a little more attention because heaven know;s I can't imagine his production going down playing with Kovalchuk and playing like 22 to 27 minutes a game....

Old
10-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
As a Flames fan I was very frustated when they traded Savard to Atlanta but man oh man has he taken off..I want him to saty with the Flames and realize his unlimted potential with Calgary but he has really turned heads with the Thrashers....
Amen to that. The lack of return the Flames got for Savard was appaling, considering they don't have many pure offensive types in the system. Bunt his value plummeted because of how Gilbert treated him differently from others. Gilbert would bench Savard for one bad play, yet others would get off with much less for doing worse.

I'm not surprised at all that he is thriving in Atlanta. If not for the pig-headed Gilbert, Savard would be putting up these numbers in Calgary not Atlanta. It is nice to see Savy producing with the Thrashers though. Gilbert made it impossible for him to play up to his potential, and it's nice to see a team/coach that actually recognizes his talents......

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
10-29-2003, 03:58 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax
I don't think he's a jerk..I think he just wanted a chance to play and that things got personal betweem Greg Gilbert,( the Flames Coach at the time) and Marc.....

Savard had a bit of a reputation in Calgary and definately had a chip on his shoulder. I see a guy that is supremely confident in abilities, but having read the stories of him in calgary I wonder how he's going to react when things get hard for him in Atlanta (read: Atlanta brings in more talent and he doesn't get 20+ minutes a night). Will he pout?

That's all down the road I suppose, but in the meantime I couldn't be more pleased. His interviews with the local media have shown him to be a humble, self-effacing team player. Showing a guy that wants to prove something. He's hungry. He's talented. And now he's producing.

Damn glad he's here. Thank you Calgary!

Old
10-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Atlanta Jim

[QUOTE=Qubax]Yea thanks for the response Atlanta JIm....

I am a Flames season Ticket holder and once when Savard was out with some like minor injury I saw him walking around the DOme and he gladly gave me an autograph and talked to me...

My older brother was a Flames season ticket holder when they were in Atlanta. Use to go several times a year. Always liked watching Willi Plett beat people up.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:19 AM
Qubax

Haha good ole Willei PLett

Closed Thread