HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

15GP, 0G, 0A and a -8 with..

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
15GP, 0G, 0A and a -8 with..

6 minors and a defensive gaffe almost every game..That's what Marcel Hossa has been doing for the Rangers.Throw in such pearls as 0A in his last 34 games and being shotless in 3 of the last 5 games despite averaging 10-11 minutes and you got a basic ZERO...I know stats aren't everything and occasionally Hossa cycles the puck well with his big body, but this guy is just not helping the team anymore and has actually hurt it a few times defensively....But instead of getting benched, as he should, he's elevated to the 2nd line?..I don't follow Renney on this one at all..

I know we have a numbers problem with Rucinsky out, so it's easier to play Hossa but if we are to be succesful in the POs for a round or two (that would be nice), Renney needs to find somebody that can play the game of hockey...I don't care whether it' Giroux, Moore, Dawes, Genoway or Immonen, Renney needs to look at other possibilities other then Hossa for the 2nd and 3rd lines...ANd give them a REAL shot..may catch lightning in the bottle that has been empty when held open for Hossa..This is not just to slam Hossa, I want the team to do well in the POs..Simple as that..

Old
03-28-2006, 08:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
But instead of getting benched, as he should, he's elevated to the 2nd line?..I don't follow Renney on this one at all..
It's the return of the Tominator.

Old
03-28-2006, 09:28 AM
shoothepuck

I agree Melnyk, watched the Wolfpack, last night, and anyone of the players you mentioned should at least get a look. I liked what I saw in Dawes, but Tom thinks otherwise. He did play the 4th line more last night with Orr on it which was shocking, but that could be only because everyone looked tired. For the team to do well in the playoffs, Renney will have to make some line choices/changes you would think. Playing Hossa on a nightly basis, seems to go against conventinal hockey wisdom, but Tom seems sold onthe idea.

Old
03-28-2006, 10:25 AM
KasparKrunch

hossa is a decent pk'er

Old
03-28-2006, 10:28 AM
sickboy35

preachin to the choir! been saying it for a long time, i'm just tryin to be upbeat about the team lately so not to seem like to much a pessimist. but there are playrs in hartford who can do the same job this clown does!

Old
03-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Pizza

I'd sit Hossa and reset the lines as follows:

Ward Straka Sykora

Moore Rucchin Orts

Hollweg Betts Orr

OR:

Moore Straka Sykora

Ward Rucchin Orts

Either way I think your giving guys a chance that deserve it and the energy level should be pretty good.

Much as I like Hossa's size and skill package other folks are more deserving.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Sather Hater

If his last name wasn't Hossa and he didn't have a star brother playing in the NHL, there is no way he would be playing in the NHL on a regular basis like he is now. With a few guys in Hartford possibly ready to take the jump to the NHL next year, Hossa is most likely the first to get his walking papers, or at least waived (and possible demotion if he goes unclaimed).

Old
03-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Canadude*

Hossa has definitely not been as good as his potential .

Many of the Rangers 3rd and 4th line players have not displayed any offensive skill eithier. Blair Betts for example has 1 assist in 56 games. That is pretty bad.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
After last night's game, where JD noted that Hossa was playing the centre's role in the defensive zone when he was on the ice with Straka, it made me wonder: would Hossa be better served playing centre rather than wing?

He scores most of his (few) goals from the slot, he's got size and he can handle the defensive side of the game. I don't know if he can take face-offs and his playmaking may not be up to it.

I'm not asking if he should be playing centre for the Rangers (so don't start talking about who's spot would he take), but if he would be a better centre than wing in general. What do you guys think?

Old
03-28-2006, 12:14 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadude
Many of the Rangers 3rd and 4th line players have not displayed any offensive skill eithier. Blair Betts for example has 1 assist in 56 games. That is pretty bad.
Yes, but the job description of Blair Betts and the other 3rd & 4th liners is quite a bit different from Hossa's. They are not in the lineup becuase the team needs to create more offense (a Renney quote when asked why Hollweg was benched so that Hossa can play).

Old
03-28-2006, 01:56 PM
robertch

I think Hossa's size (and skating ability for his size) make him an attractive candidate for repeated insertion into the linup. Most of our other forwards - Straka, Prucha, Sykora, Moore, Orts, and Nylander - are all under 200 lbs (smallish for NHL standards), and I think his big frame makes a valuable contribution, albeit one that is not obvious from the stat sheet.

I'll agree that he's nothing special, but I don't think he's been a bad player for us, and it's possible that his presence contributes more than meets the eye.

Old
03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
If his last name wasn't Hossa and he didn't have a star brother playing in the NHL, there is no way he would be playing in the NHL on a regular basis like he is now. With a few guys in Hartford possibly ready to take the jump to the NHL next year, Hossa is most likely the first to get his walking papers, or at least waived (and possible demotion if he goes unclaimed).

Why cant them just send him on a 2 week conditioning stint without waivers, so he can find his game???

Old
03-28-2006, 03:06 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
6 minors and a defensive gaffe almost every game..That's what Marcel Hossa has been doing for the Rangers.Throw in such pearls as 0A in his last 34 games and being shotless in 3 of the last 5 games despite averaging 10-11 minutes and you got a basic ZERO...I know stats aren't everything and occasionally Hossa cycles the puck well with his big body, but this guy is just not helping the team anymore and has actually hurt it a few times defensively....But instead of getting benched, as he should, he's elevated to the 2nd line?..I don't follow Renney on this one at all..

I know we have a numbers problem with Rucinsky out, so it's easier to play Hossa but if we are to be succesful in the POs for a round or two (that would be nice), Renney needs to find somebody that can play the game of hockey...I don't care whether it' Giroux, Moore, Dawes, Genoway or Immonen, Renney needs to look at other possibilities other then Hossa for the 2nd and 3rd lines...ANd give them a REAL shot..may catch lightning in the bottle that has been empty when held open for Hossa..This is not just to slam Hossa, I want the team to do well in the POs..Simple as that..
He stinks. He seems to never pick up his MAN in the defensive zone.

Old
03-28-2006, 03:06 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
i can't agree with a lot of renney moves lately. a great one was to put henrik in for the start of the third period, though.

Closed Thread