HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings mornings are a bit more relaxed now

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2006, 08:48 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Kings mornings are a bit more relaxed now

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

well, it's a good thing they're taking it easy, cause God knows we don't want them to break a nail or strain themsleves on the ice. Not like we've lost 2 out of the last 3 "must win" games. Tehy should really take it down a notch.

seriously, F the kings and the players, wat a bunch of donkeys.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 03-28-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old
03-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Kingz4ever

no heart, no pride=no playoffs

Old
03-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Osprey

Your disgust is irrational. The same looser workouts were conducted prior to Saturday's win. If this article were printed a few days ago (after the Nashville game), I'm sure that you would've had a completely different opinion.

Look, the passion as fans is commendable, but some of you are erupting emotionally as if it's puberty all over again. Just take a step back and hold yourself back from over-reacting... at least so much. Sorry if this sounds patronizing, but adolescent mood swings have nothing on some of the stuff that goes on around here.

Old
03-28-2006, 10:30 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

praising them for contributing to the nashville victory? I haven't praised them for anything (not after nashville or anytime) nor do I think they did anything in this second half that warranted an easier practice. I am disgusted with the fact that these guys are whining about hard practices as if they've earned the right to start taking it easy.

As i said all along, I've only been frustrated at how easy these guys seem to be taking it as they lose the important games. This article just exposes their mentality even more.

Old
03-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
praising them for contributing to the nashville victory? I haven't praised them for anything (not after nashville or anytime) nor do I think they did anything in this second half that warranted an easier practice. I am disgusted with the fact that these guys are whining about hard practices as if they've earned the right to start taking it easy.

As I said all along, I've only been frustrated at how easy these guys seem to be taking it as they lose the important games. This article just exposes their mentality even more.
I think that you're reading the article through the lenses that you want to read it through. From a single sentence (which says "Those game-day workouts, more than one player said, led to fatigue during games at times..."), you're spinning a tale of wussy players complaining about practices and wanting to "take it easy." I didn't realize all of that was in that single sentence.

The article clearly says that the players were concerned that Murray's practices (which were apparently the toughest of any of the coaches in the league) were leaving them fatigued during games, something which we can all speculate also led to more injuries. I don't know how a concern for the well-being of the team (through game-time performance and the injury problem) can be interpreted and criticized as whining for personal comfort, as you suggest.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:19 AM
levacktrash

In all fairness to Murray.........did you ever see so many easy goals under his tenure? Parrish was only a little bit late on his defensive coverage. I mean it looked like he was only a little interested in coverage instead of being committed. The forwards really were unresponsible in the defensive zone and we lost the battles in front and behind our net.

Players who don't want to work in practice are the ones who don't want to work at defense in the game. Murray is one of the best coaches in the NHL. The next trend to look at in the players is that they will start attacking each other. Notice that Matty wouldn't support the Times accussation that players were fatigued by practising too much. Our team has too many selfish players that have too much power. I call it bad leadership.

Here they are: Roenick, Demitra, Avery, Robitaille and possibly Frolov.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
...frustrated at how easy these guys seem to be taking it as they lose the important games...
ineffective captain & no veteran leadership.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by levacktrash
Here they are: Roenick, Demitra, Avery, Robitaille and possibly Frolov.
What has Frolov ever done to be labeled selfish?

Old
03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Your disgust is irrational. The same looser workouts were conducted prior to Saturday's win. If this article were printed a few days ago (after the Nashville game), I'm sure that you would've had a completely different opinion.

Look, the passion as fans is commendable, but some of you are erupting emotionally as if it's puberty all over again. Just take a step back and hold yourself back from over-reacting... at least so much. Sorry if this sounds patronizing, but adolescent mood swings have nothing on some of the stuff that goes on around here.
Agree. Is it possible to "sticky" this individual post?! It should be required reading before hitting that "New Thread" button following a loss. Some of you are bona fide drama queens. And if you're itching to hit reply and flame me for that, then you probably fit the bill.

Today's threads were inevitable after we ALL felt such a high with the coaching switch and the Nashville game. I hadn't been so excited since opening night and Nashville was arguably our most exciting game since the Dallas 3rd period explosion a month back.

Frolov selfish and Matty a bad captain this morning? Cripes. No.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Matty's never been much of a captain IMNSHO.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Tadite

Quote:

Your trying to take the high ground?

A duck fan who made a few thousand posts this season about why if AM even sneezed that meant the kings are going to lose is now trying to take the high ground?

How hypocritical is that?

Old
03-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball
Matty a bad captain this morning?
Not a knee-jerk opinion; I've been saying it for a long time.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:05 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearney
Not a knee-jerk opinion; I've been saying it for a long time.
Well, ok, not a knee-jerk, just came through with a batch of other ones...

I respectfully disagree with the premise though. Matty is not the vocal captain-type, but is a leader by example and work ethic in the mold of Joe Sakic's captain abilities.

One qualilier though - I think he made a *better* captain under similarly organized, quiet, and meticulous men like Andy Murray and Dave Taylor. IF they are BOTH gone, Matty's leadership will be challenged.

With a new regime and a batch of new players most likely coming in quiet soon, it'll be interesting to see how he fares. My guess is that he stays the Kings' captain for 2-3 more years though - and stays an excellent quiet leader.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:11 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:

Are you kidding me? I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I saw you attached to this post.

Old
03-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball
Well, ok, not a knee-jerk, just came through with a batch of other ones...

I respectfully disagree with the premise though. Matty is not the vocal captain-type, but is a leader by example and work ethic in the mold of Joe Sakic's captain abilities.

One qualilier though - I think he made a *better* captain under similarly organized, quiet, and meticulous men like Andy Murray and Dave Taylor. IF they are BOTH gone, Matty's leadership will be challenged.

With a new regime and a batch of new players most likely coming in quiet soon, it'll be interesting to see how he fares. My guess is that he stays the Kings' captain for 2-3 more years though - and stays an excellent quiet leader.
In order for him to be an "excellent quiet leader," the excellence would have to be demonstrated in some way, like the team pulling out of a losing streak after something he did, or say for example the team showing up for Adam Deadmarsh night. I like Matti and his quiet warrior type of personality, but there's no evidence that it makes for a good captain. In fact there's four years of counter-evidence.

Old
03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
danaluvsthekings

One of the things that gets me about how the players are reacting since Murray's been fired, it seems to me most of the players are acting like little kids with no authority around, kind of like the kids in Lord of the Flies or something.

I understand they thought Murray's regime was too structured and rigid and they wanted more freedom offensively and even things like being able to wear hats in the locker room. Naturally there is going to be some sort of reaction know that Murray and his rules are gone. But on the other hand it seems some of the players are having more fun defying the rules Murray had in place (Avery's push ups, hats in the locker room, helmets during warmups, and the ripping down of the signs) then actually focusing on what it takes to win on the ice. I think Norstrom and the other guys wearing the As need to put a stop to the guys defying the rules and get them focused back on hockey. Of course part of that problem is two of the guys wearing As were allegedly the ones leading the effort to push Murray out the door.

One of the quotes from Conroy last night was telling. The players want to play wide open, up tempo hockey, and they disliked Murray's defensive system. The wide open style means they're going to give up more quality scoring chances. Personally I think they don't have the defensemen that can handle playing the more wide open, up tempo games (guys like Sopel, Corvo, Dempsey aren't solid defensively and Miller's been horrible). Anyhow after the game last night Conroy said they need to get back to the 1-0 mentality. That was Murray's mentality that they didn't like and why they wanted him fired. Make up your minds!

Old
03-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
I understand they thought Murray's regime was too structured and rigid and they wanted more freedom offensively and even things like being able to wear hats in the locker room. Naturally there is going to be some sort of reaction know that Murray and his rules are gone. But on the other hand it seems some of the players are having more fun defying the rules Murray had in place (Avery's push ups, hats in the locker room, helmets during warmups, and the ripping down of the signs) then actually focusing on what it takes to win on the ice. I think Norstrom and the other guys wearing the As need to put a stop to the guys defying the rules and get them focused back on hockey. Of course part of that problem is two of the guys wearing As were allegedly the ones leading the effort to push Murray out the door.
I agree with this. This is the risk that you always take replacing the coach mid-season, especially a restrictive coach. In exchange for a better atmosphere and a boost, you trade in a little order. This is one reason why I've felt that the coaching change should've occurred a lot earlier. If it had occurred in January or February, this "Lord of the Flies"-style self-expression and relief probably would've played itself out after a handful or two of games and the team would've then snapped to, come together and made a determined drive to the playoffs. Unfortunately, the coaching change came so late that there's almost no room for relief and other emotions to play themselves out.

Closed Thread