HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Observations XIX

Old
06-15-2017, 11:44 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Observations XIX

Old thread at 1000.

Hoping 303 eventually finds his way back to this thread at some point...

06-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Mortiest Morty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Weber View Post
As much as I'd like to see Housley remain and teach Girard, Fabbro etc a thing or two, I too believe he's as good as gone.
That part stinks, but the Preds developed plenty of very good (or better) D-men before him and I imagine they will continue to do so after. I actually think this may be a good thing, at least for the next season or two, if handled correctly. It's a chance to get someone that can run a power play and 3-on-3 better.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quick off-ice observation:

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

But, but, but... There's NO economic benefit to the city having the Predators. They're just a leach on taxpayers. Send them to Hamilton!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 03:00 PM
drwpreds

Anyone see the blurb from Poile regarding injuries- said that we may have “one guy that might be a little late getting to training camp”.

Apparently talking about Ryan Ellis. His injury has not been disclosed anywhere that I have seen, but supposedly he will have to have some kind of surgery.

Ugghh- that does not sound good if he won’t even be ready 4 months from now. Hopefully it is at least something he can fully recover from.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 03:27 PM
tampa pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Anyone see the blurb from Poile regarding injuries- said that we may have “one guy that might be a little late getting to training camp”.

Apparently talking about Ryan Ellis. His injury has not been disclosed anywhere that I have seen, but supposedly he will have to have some kind of surgery.

Ugghh- that does not sound good if he won’t even be ready 4 months from now. Hopefully it is at least something he can fully recover from.
Looked to me like they were looking at his lower back in Game 5 when he came off the ice. Hopefully, it doesn't become a Sully situation.

tampa pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:

Training camp is 3 months out, regular season is about 4 months away.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think its interesting how much money they attribute to CMA fest which occurred sandwiched around Preds SCF games. I think that is misleading.

06-15-2017, 03:43 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Training camp is 3 months out, regular season is about 4 months away.
wow... playing all the way into June sure does shorten the summer... pretty awesome that there will be so little down time, given how excited we should all be about next year.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
wow... playing all the way into June sure does shorten the summer... pretty awesome that there will be so little down time, given how excited we should all be about next year.
That hit me somewhere around game 3 or 4. I see it as a blessing and a curse.

Old
06-15-2017, 09:50 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
God dammit NHL, I got my slot car track all set up and ready to play with my ****ing cars but then trades are happening, coaches are getting promoted and the next thing ya know it's gonna be the ****ing draft!

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 10:02 PM
TheJungleHunter

Haven't seen this on the board yet, so I thought I'd share it. Jerseys look sharp!

TheJungleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJungleHunter View Post
Haven't seen this on the board yet, so I thought I'd share it. Jerseys look sharp!

As somebody pointed out, the navy blue stripe thingy along the back is gone. Probably ends up being a nice improvement.

Old
06-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
As somebody pointed out, the navy blue stripe thingy along the back is gone. Probably ends up being a nice improvement.
Definitely, and the fugly white piping appears to be gone as well!

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Soundgarden

The piping was the only thing I hated about those.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 12:52 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

I've spent the miserable weak since we were eliminated reading about GAR, or goals above replacement -- finally someone has taken the go-to baseball analytic tool and made a crack at applying it to hockey:

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/10/28...final-remarks/

Here's the data for the Predators. Basically nothing shocking, other than Ellis and Forsberg are basically at an elite level, league-wide and Cody McLeod is very bad. Also, Jarnkrok, while a nice player, wouldn't be as terribly missed if selected by LV as we think.

06-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

^^^^^Parenteau?

Old
06-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
^^^^^Parenteau?
Most advanced stat models really like PAP, actually. Which always surprises me.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 05:16 AM
Armourboy

Too bad the scoreboard doesn't lol

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 09:21 AM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
Yeah..so Paranteau and Fiddler, huh? NEXT!

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 10:46 AM
drwpreds

Just watched the final episode of the Showtime all-access show- if you haven't seen it, don't watch it if you don't think you can handle it. Not sure why I tortured myself- had to fast forward through most of it. But the Preds locker room scene after game 6 was pretty powerful (and sad) stuff....

Old
06-17-2017, 10:56 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Just watched the final episode of the Showtime all-access show- if you haven't seen it, don't watch it if you don't think you can handle it. Not sure why I tortured myself- had to fast forward through most of it. But the Preds locker room scene after game 6 was pretty powerful (and sad) stuff....
I had to fast forward through parts as well. The locker room scene was gut wrenching. I felt awful leaving the arena that night. But those players were crushed. I hope Fisher comes back for one more year. Pretty amazing to see him pour out his soul to his teammates.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm so sick of hearing how Pollock made the right call on the ice, and you "can't win a game without scoring a goal."

If the right call is being out of position, whistling the puck as dead when it never was stopped, and disallowing an obvious and legal goal, then hockey is stupid.

As for the "not scoring a goal part", the Preds did score a goal. The Penguins didn't until the final two minutes of the game.

This is a shameful and stupid argument.

I'm also sick of hearing, "it is such a hard thing to legislate."

In other words, yeah, it sucked, but deal with it, and we aren't going to fix it. In a league making billions, this isn't good enough.

Get it together NHL. The officiating has been awful for years. The playoffs are inconsistent and directly impacted the Predators in 2 pivotal moments, game 1 and 6 of the SCF and cost them the opening goal in each.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:03 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm so sick of hearing how Pollock made the right call on the ice, and you "can't win a game without scoring a goal."

If the right call is being out of position, whistling the puck as dead when it never was stopped, and disallowing an obvious and legal goal, then hockey is stupid.

As for the "not scoring a goal part", the Preds did score a goal. The Penguins didn't until the final two minutes of the game.

This is a shameful and stupid argument.

I'm also sick of hearing, "it is such a hard thing to legislate."

In other words, yeah, it sucked, but deal with it, and we aren't going to fix it. In a league making billions, this isn't good enough.

Get it together NHL. The officiating has been awful for years. The playoffs are inconsistent and directly impacted the Predators in 2 pivotal moments, game 1 and 6 of the SCF and cost them the opening goal in each.
And as has been pointed out repeatedly, what makes it a million times worse is they WILL OVERTURN a goal on someone being offsides by one millionth of a centimeter- based on a totally inconclusive replay- but not on a call like this where the right call is clear as a bell....

Old
06-17-2017, 02:20 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Pollock blows that whistle literally a quarter of the second later, the puck is already in the net and the goal counts. That's why it's so stupid. When you blow the whistle right as the stick is hitting the puck, there needs to be some discretion from the league to look at a couple of things.

1. Was the puck ever covered or covered for a sufficient amount of time that blowing the whistle could be considered if not the right call, a judgment call?

2. Did the whistle blowing, even if it was wrong and premature stop the play that was still happening?

Obviously the puck was never covered in question 1 and the play was just about to reach its conclusion when the whistle blew in question 2.

Now if the puck is laying in the crease and nobody's really near it and the whistle blows and then Sissons comes skating in and knocks the puck in two seconds later after everyone stopped because the whistle blew, that's different. It's still the wrong call for a premature whistle but you could at least make the argument that without the whistle, Murray would realize he didn't have the puck and would move to try to find it but there needs to be a replay every time in that scenario to see when the whistle was and where the puck was when the whistle blew. If the whistle doesn't effect the effort of the players on the play, the goal needs to count.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote