HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Observations XIX

Old
06-21-2017, 04:03 PM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
yep agreed. hossa is still a big contributor for the hawks and it's not like they are sitting good with the cap even with the news of hossa.

still leaves a bad taste in your mouth with the narrative of certain teams getting away with things they shouldn't.. ala pittsburgh and those bs calls in game 1 and game 6.. (sorry couldn't resist)
Don't be too quick to judge. I'm praying Weber develops a rash in the last few years of his contract when he's ready to retire. That whole salary cap recapture thing scares the bejeezus out of me.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 04:57 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Don't be too quick to judge. I'm praying Weber develops a rash in the last few years of his contract when he's ready to retire. That whole salary cap recapture thing scares the bejeezus out of me.
yikes, don't remind me.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 05:26 PM
JustaFinnishGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Quote:
yikes, don't remind me.
Wasn't that deal made before the current CBA, thus making that deal not valid anymore or does it stand if it comes to Weber retiring before playing all the remaining years?

JustaFinnishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 06:18 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Looking like Neal is gone to Vegas.

Facebook - @jwhouk
Where I'd really rather be right now

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 06:19 PM
LCPreds

They should really look at how much of a cap advantage a team got as welll. For example, would the Preds have been over the cap every year in the early portion of the Weber deal? No desire to look it up but if not then was there even an advantage? We didn't make the deal and had to match the Flyers off so we really had no contractual structuring intent.

On the other hand I'm guessing Chicago needed that deal structure as they were likely always at the cap.

(Just guessing)

LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

As of now, I believe it still stands. In our particular circumstances if Shea retires early I think they'd end up negating at least part of it.

Here are my thoughts on why they SHOULD negate most of it--
It was our own RFA -- we were matching a contract devised by another team designed to hurt a smaller market (poorer) team, minimizing cap hits while maximizing early salary. We didn't need the minimized cap--we had plenty of space. Any cap hit we were "saving" by the contract structure wouldn't have put us over except for, I believe, 1 year.

Maybe we should pay back the amount of cap space we would have been in excess that one year, but in reality maybe not--we paid salary+ bonus way over normal the first 5 years of that contract JUST to keep our player.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 06:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
yep agreed. hossa is still a big contributor for the hawks and it's not like they are sitting good with the cap even with the news of hossa.

still leaves a bad taste in your mouth with the narrative of certain teams getting away with things they shouldn't.. ala pittsburgh and those bs calls in game 1 and game 6.. (sorry couldn't resist)
Its also the salary decrease which is annoying. I guess the rash isn't worth the 1 million in cash. Higher salary though .... .

In all seriousness, I am not against a player doing what is right for his health, regardless of what it is.

The blackhawks organization, though, I want to face every hardship possible

James Neal gone seems like one of Poile's major gaffes. It reminds me of the Kevin Klein, Paul Gaustad, Franson (deal 1 and deal 2 trades).

06-21-2017, 07:01 PM
LCPreds

This is the first time I've ever watched the awards. Well played NHL.

Old
06-21-2017, 07:16 PM
FossilFndr

Just can't do it, I'll find out soon enough and I've already seen enough of Crosby.

FossilFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 07:45 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
Really happy for Burns, especially since he beat the waaaayyyy overhyped Karlsson.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Welp, there it is. David Poile just gave James Neal away for free. He is already making comments about young players stepping up and having to pay a price, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Disappointing.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post
Just can't do it, I'll find out soon enough and I've already seen enough of Crosby.
The MC was horrible .... a huge Pens fan? Of course he would be. As if enough people around the league aren't on Crosby's jock.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
See you all there.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 10:51 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
See you all there.

How awesome would that be? We have always had to deal with having large amounts of opposing fans trying to come to Bridgestone when their team is in town because of how popular the city of Nashville is.

But can you imagine how bad its going to be for the Vegas franchise?? I'm sure the team itself will love it, but I almost feel bad for their hard-core fans- going to be a TON of visiting fans for almost every game.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Ooooooh, a NYE in Vegas with 500 of my dearest friends all decked out in gold? That sounds like a plan!

Old
06-22-2017, 12:07 PM
LCPreds

Really looking forward to the schedule so we can plan the yearly road trip. The Vegas New Years deal isn't going to happen but maybe something else will pop up. A Vegas+Cali swing would be fantastic.

Anyone know what time the full schedule is supposed to be released?

Old
06-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
Anyone know what time the full schedule is supposed to be released?
It's to be broadcasted on the NHL Network at 2:00 pm CST, as part of some special, it would appear.

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 12:12 PM
LCPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyukian Deke View Post
It's to be broadcasted on the NHL Network at 2:00 pm CST, as part of some special, it would appear.
Sweet because the viewing audience of NHL Network at 2PM on a Thursday is worth having a special schedule unveil.

Old
06-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

Quote:
Sweet because the viewing audience of NHL Network at 2PM on a Thursday is worth having a special schedule unveil.
My very thoughts, exactly.

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 12:22 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Once again SMH at the NHL- they can't get anything right

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Ooooooh, a NYE in Vegas with 500 of my dearest friends all decked out in gold? That sounds like a plan!
It's gonna be tough to decide between Vegas and the yearly Denver trip (Could very easily be the same one). I'm probably the only person in the world who has been to Vegas upwards of a dozen times but never really done the typical "Vegas trip".

But yeah it'll be weird to be excited to go to a road city the same way others are when they come to ours.

At least if the local fans get annoyed by visiting fans, we can sympathize with them.....

Old
06-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Soundgarden

I'm only 4 hours away from Vegas, would be a pretty sweet road trip.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 05:06 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
It's gonna be tough to decide between Vegas and the yearly Denver trip (Could very easily be the same one). I'm probably the only person in the world who has been to Vegas upwards of a dozen times but never really done the typical "Vegas trip".

But yeah it'll be weird to be excited to go to a road city the same way others are when they come to ours.

At least if the local fans get annoyed by visiting fans, we can sympathize with them.....
I've never been to Vegas. Not a gambler, not big on shows or neon...just like hockey, the occasional beer, and good company. Now that they have all that it sounds interesting.

That said, I will NEVER be the type of rude fan that we have occasionally had in our arena, even though we're an older team and by all rights "successful" at this point. I don't like it, I won't do it. Just not in my DNA.

Old
06-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
I've never been to Vegas. Not a gambler, not big on shows or neon...just like hockey, the occasional beer, and good company. Now that they have all that it sounds interesting.

That said, I will NEVER be the type of rude fan that we have occasionally had in our arena, even though we're an older team and by all rights "successful" at this point. I don't like it, I won't do it. Just not in my DNA.
Kinda bummed the Vegas game is January 2 ... in my business, no way I can be gone at New Years and while school is still out for the holidays. Was hoping to make this trip.

Adzy ... if you go, let me know. I've been to Vegas probably upwards of 40 or more times. I can recommend several awesome restaurants (of the million they have ... lol) and some shows I'd suggest. Vegas can be a blast as long as it's no more than 3 days. I've done a couple stints longer than a week .... brutal!

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:

The only reason I was in Vegas so many times was because when I lived in California I dated a girl for a few years who grew up there and we would go for family stuff. I like it a lot but I'm a fan of the desert. I like Phoenix also. With that said, as stereotypical as it is, I'd really like to have a few days and nights in Vegas doing non-local, "Vegas" things. No better time than for a Preds game.

January 2 is a blessing and a curse though. It would be a great time to be there but it could very well be way too expensive for me right around New Year's