HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would you give up for Brodin?

Old
06-15-2017, 08:13 PM
BananaSquad

vCash: 500
We move Nylander or Reinhart, you gotta sign Kane.

BananaSquad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
We'd be ripping ourselves off if we offered that. I know Nylander's AHL stats were underwhelming, but look how he did in the WJCs when he was playing against his peers..and with another year of tournament eligibility left. The kid has a ridiculous amount of talent, we just need to develop him.
Get out of here with your logic.

Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 08:21 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Recurrent board problem here: Moving quality for quality is not = giving up on a player. I fully expect Nylander to be a top line winger for somebody someday. I don't care cuz that's not our dire need.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Does Brodin fit an uptemp/5 man attack system?
Housley mentioned Dumoulin as someone that is a defensive dman but still finds his place and contributes in an up tempo system. I see no reason Brodin couldn't do the same for us. He could be our defensive anchor (I hope), but still has the wheels and outlet passing ability to join the rush and contribute as necessary. I think his wheels are what is most important to the up tempo system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Whether or not Brodin play "uptempo" now (let's agree there's some room to define that, and also the MIN dictates that a bit for him now) -- kid has wheels, a good outlet pass, and he's only 23. Tools are there, coach him.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I'll say it again. The Dumoulin offer sheet is our most cost-effective avenue of adding a high end defensive defenseman.
Yup, agreed. 6 years, 39 million, sign me up.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 08:25 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

The divide by 5 rule is a thing. That's a 7.8 cap hit for comp purposes.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 08:27 PM
Husko

Quote:
The divide by 5 rule is a thing. That's a 7.8 cap hit for comp purposes.
Aware, which is why I picked that number. It's the top end of the 2 first range. If you go to 40 million it'd be 4 firsts.

Old
06-15-2017, 08:32 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Yup, agreed. 6 years, 39 million, sign me up.
Penguins aren't in any cap crunch to worry about offersheets. After Fleury gets picked by VGK, they've got almost $19M to sign 7 players. Walk in the park to absorb one big contract if they want to.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 08:49 PM
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Penguins aren't in any cap crunch to worry about offersheets. After Fleury gets picked by VGK, they've got almost $19M to sign 7 players. Walk in the park to absorb one big contract if they want to.
They will be spending top dollars on D. We will lose a Guy who makes 600k because we don't have anything of value. LV will have no issues getting to the cap floor.

DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 10:16 PM
57special

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kublakhan View Post
another question, do we need a top stay at home D with an up-tempo D system??
Brodin is one of the best, if not the best skater on the Wild. Zucker and maybe Haula are faster, but once you add in backwards, transitions, edges,etc. Brodin is tops. He is not some plodding defensive Dman. What he will do to help your attack is retrieve the puck quickly from the Dzone, evade forecheckers(elite at that) and make a good outlet pass to forwards, putting them in odd man situations.

Housley would be perfect to help him, as Brodin is somewhat reluctant to use his great physical tools on offense. Still, the main thing with Brodin is that you have a solid, mobile, young defender who has already played 5 years in the league and is only 23. If you want a rushing Dman to spice up your attack then you want to someone else.

06-15-2017, 11:11 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
The way he openly discussed offer sheets I'm not so sure.

Also wait, players coming off their ELCs are OS-able? Was that always a thing? Am I confusing it with basketball?
There are a few exceptions, but those are almost entirely players who come out of college and burn the first year of their ELC. For example, even though Fasching's contract expires next offseason, he wouldn't be eligible to sign an offer sheet.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 02:33 AM
kummelweck

vCash: 50
I'd try and get it done without this years first pick or Nylander.

The sabres still have a few intriguing prospects that could be leveraged.

kummelweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 03:23 AM
Kublakhan
Lets Go Buffalo !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
Brodin is one of the best, if not the best skater on the Wild. Zucker and maybe Haula are faster, but once you add in backwards, transitions, edges,etc. Brodin is tops. He is not some plodding defensive Dman. What he will do to help your attack is retrieve the puck quickly from the Dzone, evade forecheckers(elite at that) and make a good outlet pass to forwards, putting them in odd man situations.

Housley would be perfect to help him, as Brodin is somewhat reluctant to use his great physical tools on offense. Still, the main thing with Brodin is that you have a solid, mobile, young defender who has already played 5 years in the league and is only 23. If you want a rushing Dman to spice up your attack then you want to someone else.
that's great info thanks

Kublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 06:11 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cosa Nostra View Post
#8+Bailey+Borgen

Wild get a high pick to add a young high end prospect on an ELC, a potential 15-20 goal top 9 winger in Bailey and a hometown D prospect who truthfully is more of a throw in and doesn't hold much trade value on his own.
I'd do this deal if Makar and Heiskanen are gone.

Der Jaeger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 06:29 AM
sabres19892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I'd do this deal if Makar and Heiskanen are gone.
Wouldn't Minny want to do this before the trade freeze tomorrow? The reason these guys are being considered for trade are mostly the expansion draft, is it not? Would they still do it maybe?

sabres19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:05 AM
HiddenInLight

I'd give the 8th for Brodin. I'd even sweeten the deal with Minn's 2nd.

HiddenInLight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:06 AM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
There are a few exceptions, but those are almost entirely players who come out of college and burn the first year of their ELC. For example, even though Fasching's contract expires next offseason, he wouldn't be eligible to sign an offer sheet.
So what bargaining chip does such a player have? Is their option pretty much sign the qualifying offer, sign what the team offers, or sit out?

Old
06-16-2017, 07:09 AM
Beerz

Wait.....there's a trade freeze?

WTH is the point of that?

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:17 AM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

Keeps teams from trading players after they submit their lists.

Old
06-16-2017, 07:21 AM
HiddenInLight

I think if Botts is not on the phone with the wild about Brodin before the expansion draft he's not doing his job. Brodin is exactly what this team needs.

Old
06-16-2017, 07:25 AM
HiddenInLight

SOme of the wild fans are saying that the wild want a player in return, that being said, I'd give Nylander for Brodin if that's what it takes.

Old
06-16-2017, 07:29 AM
makeitburn
PUCKGASM

The guy who was the cap expert of the Pens would be exactly the person who would offersheet the Pens if he knew they had no option.

makeitburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I believe Minny wants a right-handed shot, and preferably someone that can play C. Nylander is close, and possibly enough considering the ED protection issue.

Nylander + Minny 2nd

or 8OA + Fasching (I'd rather give up Bailey but Fasching seems more likely)

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/15/...pansion-draft/

Quote:
One tantalizing hypothetical trade possibility would involve the Wild sending Brodin to the Montreal Canadiens for forward Alex Galchenyuk, who management (rightly or wrongly) may deem expendable after acquiring Jonathan Drouin.
If Montreal dangles Galchenyuk, I doubt there is an offer that the Sabres could make to top that outside of Reinhart.

And I wouldn't trade Reinhart for Dumba or Brodin.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:41 AM
makeitburn
PUCKGASM

I would have to think a new GM would trade a busting winger from a previous draft so he can choose his own pick in the upcoming draft instead as long as he views the choices at least equal. Given the price of defense around the league, if it takes Minny's second to top it off, so be it. Trading for Brodin turns all conversation about new defense into depth conversations and there's always cheap UFA stopgaps to help in that department.

Brodin-Risto
McCabe-Antipin
Gorges-Bogo
Falk
Guhle to replace Gorges as soon as he earns it.

I'm not sure Housley could fix the black hole that was McCabe-Bogo whenever we saw it.

makeitburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:45 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/n...y-dates-rules/

Quote:
Saturday, June 17: Beginning of trade freeze, signing moratorium, deadline to submit protection lists

3:00 p.m. ET marks the beginning of a trade and waiver freeze that won’t be lifted until Thursday, the morning after Vegas’ picks are unveiled. Starting at this time, the 30 existing NHL teams will also not be allowed to sign or re-sign any players. The only exception here are the Golden Knights themselves, who can make trades with other teams, and begin negotiating with unprotected RFAs and UFAs on Sunday morning.

5:00 p.m. ET marks the deadline for teams to submit their expansion draft protections lists to the league office.

Sunday, June 18: Protection lists approved, UFA/RFA interview period opens

At 10:00 a.m. ET, the league is expected to make each team’s protection lists public as Vegas begins the selection process. At this time, Vegas can begin negotiating with pending RFAs and UFAs left unprotected by their clubs. If the Golden Knights sign one of these players in this window, it will count as their selection off that team’s roster for the expansion draft.

Wednesday, June 21: Deadline for Vegas to submit its picks, roster unveiling

At 10:00 a.m. ET, the Vegas Golden Knights must submit their expansion draft picks to the NHL head office and the NHLPA. At this time, the team must also submit any Standard Player’s Contracts signed with unprotected RFAs and UFAs over the expansion draft process.

At 8:00 p.m. ET, the NHL Awards Show begins. The full list of picks made and contracts signed by Vegas will be unveiled throughout the show.

Thursday, June 22: Signing moratorium, trade/waiver freeze lifted
At 8:00 a.m. ET, the expansion draft process officially ends and business continues as usual. All teams may commence trading and the Golden Knights’ exclusive negotiating window with RFAs and UFAs ends. Buyouts may commence for all teams, with the window for those closing again on June 30.
The trade freeze is all about maintaining the protection lists.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote