HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation 2017-2018, Episode IV, A New Hope

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2017, 07:47 PM
  #26
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,662
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Considering what Habs got for 2016 #9, how bad does Nylander look at #8?
Not bad at all (and I didn't like he pick much)

Also: Nylander played in a higher league than Sergachev last year...

Also also: who cares about drouin. I'd rather have Serg.

Husko is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 07:49 PM
  #27
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Considering what Habs got for 2016 #9, how bad does Nylander look at #8?
I wanted Chychrun/serg. Until nylander proves me wrong I'll maintain it.

DJN21 is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 07:57 PM
  #28
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 43,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Not bad at all (and I didn't like he pick much)

Also: Nylander played in a higher league than Sergachev last year...

Also also: who cares about drouin. I'd rather have Serg.
Yep. Nylander would not have been my pick at the time, but he's still a helluva prospect in his own right.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 07:59 PM
  #29
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,662
vCash: 165
So, after Housley touting both Moulson and Ennis during both his presser and WGR interview, clearly we're protecting both, right?

Husko is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 08:08 PM
  #30
Ace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I wanted Chychrun/serg. Until nylander proves me wrong I'll maintain it.
Guilty until proven innocent.

Ace is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 08:09 PM
  #31
BananaSquad
Registered User
 
BananaSquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
So, after Housley touting both Moulson and Ennis during both his presser and WGR interview, clearly we're protecting both, right?
Yes sir. Exposing carrier and girgensons/foligno?

BananaSquad is online now  
Old
06-15-2017, 08:15 PM
  #32
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,662
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Guilty until proven innocent.
Amen! The way the system should be!

Husko is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 08:18 PM
  #33
BananaSquad
Registered User
 
BananaSquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
Nylander goes back to mississauga last season, hes seen as one of the best prospects in the world.....

BananaSquad is online now  
Old
06-15-2017, 08:24 PM
  #34
jc17
Registered User
 
jc17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 90
Does bogosian do more than act as a pylon under housley?

I have to think so. I just don't see him not improving. He'll probably still be awful in the d-zone but I really want to think PH will capitalize on his offensive abilities.

jc17 is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 08:26 PM
  #35
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,662
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
Does bogosian do more than act as a pylon under housley?

I have to think so. I just don't see him not improving. He'll probably still be awful in the d-zone but I really want to think PH will capitalize on his offensive abilities.
If there's anyone that can revive Bogosian's career, it's him. An up tempo, aggressive system is exactly what he needs.

Husko is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 08:50 PM
  #36
Dex
Complementary
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under Deep Cover
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
If there's anyone that can revive Bogosian's career, it's him. An up tempo, aggressive system is exactly what he needs.
I think Housley is exactly what Bogo needs. I think he'll end up being overpaid, but a still functional guy this year.

Dex is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 09:55 PM
  #37
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Your dodging. The team could do better was clearly stated.

In not a Reinhart hater if your wondering. This had everything to do with improving the team. Its perfectly ok if others disagree, but jeez, post an opinion, get kicked in the ass for it, then chide a bit for the opinion and all of sudden its blasphemy lol
Ok, so how are we going to go about getting a better player? who is that player? We need a player that can produce better and defend better at the cost of what? Just so YOU can feel that this certain player makes the team better. I am very curious how you can make the team better with one of our best defensive players and our top 3 scorer.

Sabre the Win is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 10:19 PM
  #38
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,438
vCash: 720
If Bogosian can return to the form he showed in that first 21 game stint he had as a Sabre after being acquired then we just added another top 4 dman to add to Risto and McCabe. (And possibly Antipin) I mean, Bogo was playing nearly 27 mins a game and had the best possession #s among any of our dmen in that dreadful 14-15 year. Granted Risto was still pretty green and the rest of the roster was terrible but Bogosian was included in that mega trade for a reason. He was a top 4 dman once upon a time. It's worth waiting one more year to see if he can return to that form, especially since we have zero cap issues whatsoever for 17-18. Worst comes to worst Bogo continues to disappoint and we move on in the summer of 2018 when we need the space for Eichel and Reinharts new deals. But maybe, just maybe Housley can reinvigorate Bogosians career and he returns to being a smooth skating big physical D with snarl that we sorely lack.

Another reason why I'm all for keeping Bogo at least one more year is his handedness. Whenever I play armchair GM and go about acquiring Dmen, guys like Brodin,Hanifin, Alzner etc they all seem to shoot left. Yes, our best D is a RHD. Yes our main need on D is a top pairing LHD...but outside of Risto we don't have either a current NHL dman or someone in the pipeline who is a RHD outside of Bogo. Even Antipin who is a RD is a left handed shot. So we may need to keep Bogo around....look around and a lot of teams fans say right handed D is the hardest D to find. We got our RD1 secured, but if Bogo can return to form it would make our D that much better having a big, strong, smooth skating RD2 signed long term who is just turning 27.

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
06-15-2017, 10:40 PM
  #39
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
Does bogosian do more than act as a pylon under housley?

I have to think so. I just don't see him not improving. He'll probably still be awful in the d-zone but I really want to think PH will capitalize on his offensive abilities.
Bogosian isn't going to develop anymore, but to think that he can't improve upon the last two seasons under Bylsma is ridiculous.

Bogosian is going to be tasked to play a much more simple game where he doesn't have to think about options(in his wheelhouse), a game that pushes the puck up the ice(again, in his wheelhouse). Not to mention there SHOULD be a better defensive team game that will support the players better, so when he does make a mistake, it won't hurt THAT much, which in turn will lead to Bogosian playing his type of defensive game of throwing the body around, something we saw under Nolan.

Not to mention we should see more pinching from the defense more often which also fits Bogosian's game.

OkimLom is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 03:32 AM
  #40
kummelweck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 16,576
vCash: 50
So... does Housely help build the defense from a recruiting standpoint? i.e. college FA, UFA, etc?

kummelweck is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 04:00 AM
  #41
static80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Jack Daigle
Sam Zagrapan

static80 is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 04:10 AM
  #42
static80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
Ok, so how are we going to go about getting a better player? who is that player? We need a player that can produce better and defend better at the cost of what? Just so YOU can feel that this certain player makes the team better. I am very curious how you can make the team better with one of our best defensive players and our top 3 scorer.
Defend better? Lol
Some of make Sam out to be the 2nd coming of Datsyuk.
And this has NOTHING to do with MYSELF feeling better. You want to improve the roster with impact players? You have to give to get.
Reinhart isn't going to center in case your one of those still dreaming the dream. At least not here in Buffalo. Jack, Ryan, Zemgus/Johan down the middle for lines 1, 2 and 3.
We have a plethora of young RW'ers/RH shots in Baptiste, Bailey, Nylander and Fasching.
If Kane isn't re-signed, regardless if traded or not, who's your LH shot LW,er? Ennis? Lol

The fact is, were short on LW and defense.

static80 is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 04:34 AM
  #43
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 50
Sign cheap LW in FA.

No smart team wastes assets on wingers.

There are other ways to improve the defense, just look at the cup winners, how many IMPACT defenders did they have?
They got a got collection of usefull guys that got to play to their strenghts, that's what we should look for not trading away one of our biggest building blocks.

Duddy is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 06:20 AM
  #44
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Sabres could get healthy on D quick, if some of the recent reports and speculation are true.

8OA, Bailey, Borgen for Brodin.
Kane+ for Muzzin.

Muzzin - Ristolainen
Brodin - Bogosian
McCabe - Antipin

Der Jaeger is online now  
Old
06-16-2017, 06:32 AM
  #45
TehDoak
He sure has a
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Big Head
Country: United States
Posts: 23,653
vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Sign cheap LW in FA.

No smart team wastes assets on wingers.

There are other ways to improve the defense, just look at the cup winners, how many IMPACT defenders did they have?
They got a got collection of usefull guys that got to play to their strenghts, that's what we should look for not trading away one of our biggest building blocks.
Hey Montreal just traded for Drou.......oh, i get it.

TehDoak is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 06:47 AM
  #46
Chippah
Peesa Gahbige
 
Chippah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 18,248
vCash: 469
Good news everyone!


Chippah is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 06:54 AM
  #47
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,626
vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Sign cheap LW in FA.

No smart team wastes assets on wingers.

There are other ways to improve the defense, just look at the cup winners, how many IMPACT defenders did they have?
They got a got collection of usefull guys that got to play to their strenghts, that's what we should look for not trading away one of our biggest building blocks.
Not that I'm advocating trading for a winger...but c'mon. Is Kessel not a winger, and is Pittsburgh not smart?

Zip15 is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 06:57 AM
  #48
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Not that I'm advocating trading for a winger...but c'mon. Is Kessel not a winger, and is Pittsburgh not smart?
They also have crosby and Malkin. And won a cup before Kessel, rest of their wingers are plug and play.

If we trade Kane we can spend some money on wingers, but right now it is not the right time to look for a winger that costs a lot.

Duddy is offline  
Old
06-16-2017, 07:09 AM
  #49
CacOBG
Registered User
 
CacOBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Sabres could get healthy on D quick, if some of the recent reports and speculation are true.

8OA, Bailey, Borgen for Brodin.
Kane+ for Muzzin.

Muzzin - Ristolainen
Brodin - Bogosian
McCabe - Antipin
If that happens, here's what's left for Wingers:

I count Okposo, Ennis, Moulson, Carrier, Foligno, Baptiste, Nylander, Fasching, Smith, Zemgus/Reinhart (depending who goes 3C).

There is no depth beyond these in case of injury that is remotely NHL-ready + we have to give someone to Vegas.

If what you are proposing happens we will have to get some winger UFAs it seems. And it better be cap-friendly signing cause we will be very close to the cap unless we can dump someone on Vegas like Moulson.

LW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Versteeg, Kunitz, Korpikoski, Upshall, Stalberg

RW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Williams, Parenteau, Stafford, Wingels, Pitlick

It's kinda ugly...

CacOBG is online now  
Old
06-16-2017, 08:24 AM
  #50
Dreakon13
Registered User
 
Dreakon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mighty Taco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CacOBG View Post
If that happens, here's what's left for Wingers:

I count Okposo, Ennis, Moulson, Carrier, Foligno, Baptiste, Nylander, Fasching, Smith, Zemgus/Reinhart (depending who goes 3C).

There is no depth beyond these in case of injury that is remotely NHL-ready + we have to give someone to Vegas.

If what you are proposing happens we will have to get some winger UFAs it seems. And it better be cap-friendly signing cause we will be very close to the cap unless we can dump someone on Vegas like Moulson.

LW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Versteeg, Kunitz, Korpikoski, Upshall, Stalberg

RW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Williams, Parenteau, Stafford, Wingels, Pitlick

It's kinda ugly...
Too many if's with the expansion draft coming, and I dunno anything about Muzzin/Brodin but swap them out for comparable D upgrades/packages if needed... lets try this for funsies.

Let's say Sam gets his chance at 3C next year. One of Ennis/Moulson to Vegas.

Carrier - ROR - Okposo
Girgensons - Eichel - ERod/Baptiste
Ennis/Moulson - Reinhart - Williams (2x3m)
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta (1x1m)
x Deslauriers
Roch: ERod/Baptiste, Nylander, Fasching

Muzzin - Ristolainen
Brodin - Bogosian
McCabe - Antipin

This doesn't scare me that much. Buy some time for kids like Asplund/Pu to land or a better FA year. Our wing situation is ugly at best even with no trades, thankfully they're the easiest to find.


Last edited by Dreakon13: 06-16-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Dreakon13 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.