HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation 2017-2018, Episode IV, A New Hope

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2017, 10:54 AM
CacOBG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Wait I thought you hated the idea of a Kane trade and that quote clearly says that they are trying to move Kane more than Lehner...
Kane for Muzzin would be great for me. I just want Lehner gone. I don't defend Kane, all I've said all along on him is his trade value is likely not very high. I don't mind him either gone or on the roster. Of the assets that are not dead like Moulson, I only have strong opinion on Lehner (I think he's trash) and Reinhart (who I think should be traded from asset management perspective, not cause I don't like him - if he stays I will cheer him on just like other players on the team).

Old
06-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Aladyyn
eyes up

Trading Reinhart this off-season is horrendous asset management.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladyyn View Post
Only if you make a horrendous trade (like the Reinhart for Brodin thing, gross)

Old
06-16-2017, 11:00 AM
DatGuy

Quote:
Long-term Leafs are projected to have Matthews, Nylander, Kadri down the middle. Labels are meaningless.
As long as Babs is the coach Nylander will not be playing Center. Mike has stated this many times that nylanders skill set is designed for the wing.

Old
06-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workensons View Post
If Reinhart gets traded, Buffalo needs a scorer coming back. I know the primary need is defense, but Buffalo also needs goals.

Reinhart, Kane, +
For
Brodin, Neiderreiter
That is awful.

first issue is Buffalo then has 4 Dman and Niederreiter gets exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I want to see them try Reinhart as the 3rd line center.

I remember what Roy did in 06-07 playing behind Drury & Briere. I think reinhart could do even better behind ROR & Eichel.
I want to see Reinhart on the third line. The issue becomes how do you want to set up the lines and ice time.

the thought is 3rd line is the checking line vs 4th line the checking line.

I could see a compromise being something like

4th line center is Reinhart when they role 4th line.
3rd line is Larsson/Girgs line
then Reinhart plays line 4, a different forward subs his spot on the top 2 lines.

If at ES 4th line runs every other sequence through...assume he is winger for Eichel on line 2 so Eichel every other shift flip flops a RW between Reinhart and someone else, then reinhart centers line 4.

Quote:
Reinhart for Hanifin I am fine with
Reinhart for Brodin+Tuch+ I would be fine with
no way would I do Reinhart for tanev/

Old
06-16-2017, 11:52 AM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Is this Lehner stuff actually legit?

Old
06-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Defend better? Lol
Some of make Sam out to be the 2nd coming of Datsyuk.
And this has NOTHING to do with MYSELF feeling better. You want to improve the roster with impact players? You have to give to get.
Reinhart isn't going to center in case your one of those still dreaming the dream. At least not here in Buffalo. Jack, Ryan, Zemgus/Johan down the middle for lines 1, 2 and 3.
We have a plethora of young RW'ers/RH shots in Baptiste, Bailey, Nylander and Fasching.
If Kane isn't re-signed, regardless if traded or not, who's your LH shot LW,er? Ennis? Lol

The fact is, were short on LW and defense.
Holy deflection. You literally not answered a single question and gave me some long winded ideas and spouted some players names that havent even proven they belong in the NHL on the wings. I hate to say it to you but getting rid of one of our best defensive stalwarts and one of our best point getters to try and replace him with someone better on D or a LW is a stretch.

Having a set top 6 and bottom 6 is so pre lockout. I rather have a top 9 and Larsson/Girgs doesn't make that happen at 3C.

Old
06-16-2017, 12:03 PM
BarbadosSlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Is this Lehner stuff actually legit?
It's Dreger's view vs actual quotes from Botterill saying he's happy with Lehner starting next season in goal. I honestly don't understand what Buffalo gains from trading Lehner this off-season.

Old
06-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

Reading through most of the posts that have gone on today it seems as some people are looking for a quick fix. We have a lot of holes in our roster (because we completely tore it down) and we have a lot of question marks in our system.

We are simply not ready to compete and there is no quick fix for us. We need to continue to stay the course and build trying to progressively get better each season rather than make huge trades that take away from one position to address another.

We can plug and play for now but I think we need to wait and see how some of our prospects turn out before really going all in. Even by subtracting Reinhart and trying to get someone to fill the hole/impact he has if traded is a tougher feat than most of you think.

This is what happens in a rebuild and we have to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbadosSlim View Post
It's Dreger's view vs actual quotes from Botterill saying he's happy with Lehner starting next season in goal. I honestly don't understand what Buffalo gains from trading Lehner this off-season.
Botteril liked what he seen when Lehner played in the AHL and won for Binghampton which happened 7 year ago. It's safe to say he was just being tongue in cheek and really had no idea when asked in his conference interview.

Old
06-16-2017, 12:27 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
My only wonder if Botterill wants a calmer presence in goal then a guy like Lehner.

Old
06-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workensons View Post
If Reinhart gets traded, Buffalo needs a scorer coming back. I know the primary need is defense, but Buffalo also needs goals.

Reinhart, Kane, +
For
Brodin, Neiderreiter
This is exactly the kind of deal I'd be looking for if we're making a blockbuster. So long as the plus wasn't huge.

If this happened plus say a Tanev for 8ov trade the roster is transformed. Its a bit ea sports... I don't see this kind of happening but if it did... This team makes the playoffs.

Old
06-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
My only wonder if Botterill wants a calmer presence in goal then a guy like Lehner.
My real wonder is what his plan in goal would be if he ships Lehner out.

Old
06-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
The same people who dislike Sam Reinhart are the same people who thought Ryan O'Reilly was worth $5 Million a year, *****ed all season that he was overpaid while being run into the ground by his coach. And are now coming full circle to pump up Ryan O'Reilly in an effort to diminish Sam Reinhart. If it wasn't so predictable it would be funny.

Do I wish Reinhart had more of an edge and killer instinct to his game? Of course. But anyone who thinks that he tops out as a 50 point player isn't someone worth talking to. He's going to put up at least 70 points in his career and do it while making everyone around him better. He's not the Patrice Bergeron type some want him to be but he's a more talented David Krejci and that's a hell of a player.

Old
06-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
The same people who dislike Sam Reinhart are the same people who thought Ryan O'Reilly was worth $5 Million a year, *****ed all season that he was overpaid while being run into the ground by his coach. And are now coming full circle to pump up Ryan O'Reilly in an effort to diminish Sam Reinhart. If it wasn't so predictable it would be funny.

Do I wish Reinhart had more of an edge and killer instinct to his game? Of course. But anyone who thinks that he tops out as a 50 point player isn't someone worth talking to. He's going to put up at least 70 points in his career and do it while making everyone around him better. He's not the Patrice Bergeron type some want him to be but he's a more talented David Krejci and that's a hell of a player.
Nobody dislikes Sam.

Its just rational thinking.

He's either a winger or 3rd in the depth chart down the middle. And he's by far the most valuable asset we have in order to improve the D.

Old
06-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Nobody dislikes Sam.

Its just rational thinking.

He's either a winger or 3rd in the depth chart down the middle. And he's by far the most valuable asset we have in order to improve the D.
or ROR can move to the wing where hes found his best production and looked great in the World Championships and Reinhart can play 2C.

Old
06-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
or ROR can move to the wing where hes found his best production and looked great in the World Championships and Reinhart can play 2C.
ya such a dramatic shift in production im surprised everyone hasnt already realized it

Old
06-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

Can a "Trade Lehner Advocate" lay out their reasoning behind this for me?

Is the idea to acquire a significantly better goalie through a small loss in assets?

The expansion draft throws a bit of a wrench into the goalie market but that market has been a dead for the last 5 years. Who is buying Lehner for what and who are you replacing him with and for what assets?

Old
06-16-2017, 01:21 PM
dotcommunism

That Dreger quote about how he thinks the Sabres "would trade" Lehner tells us absolutely nothing. Provided that Lehner can be moved in a trade for the right piece, or for a big enough return that could contribute to adding the right piece, who wouldn't trade Lehner? Of course he's potentially available; almost everyone is.

Old
06-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr's Rug View Post

Is the idea to acquire a significantly better goalie through a small loss in assets?

The expansion draft throws a bit of a wrench into the goalie market but that market has been a dead for the last 5 years. Who is buying Lehner for what and who are you replacing him with and for what assets?
there is no singular view, there never is a singular, pick a poster itll probably be different

A) lehner sucks
B) lehner doesnt suck but he's not worth a new contract
C) lehner sucks but he has value to someone else
D) gotta protect ullmark
E) need to give petersen the starting spot
F) Botts is going to trade 8oa for fluery anyway we should trade lehner now
G) murray wtf overpaid for lehner we need to recoup some of those assets because raisins

pick 1

Old
06-16-2017, 01:23 PM
makeitburn
PUCKGASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
who wouldn't trade Lehner? Of course he's potentially available; almost everyone is.
Murray, since he'd admit the 1st was mismanagement of assets.

Old
06-16-2017, 01:23 PM
sincerity0

Quote:

I don't advocate for trading Lehner as long as there is a logical argument laid out.

What I generally see from the "trade Lehner" crowd is that he's unreliable, sucks in shootouts, and is going to get a 12m/3yr bridge deal, also reportedly Botterill wants to trade him.

I laid out what I thought of that in the last thread. I don't think it makes sense to trade Lehner ATM because he will be entering his prime over the next three years

Old
06-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:

Most of the trade Lehner people seem to be married to the idea of trading for a back up like Raanta or Grubauer and they would be an upgrade over Lehner.

Heck, some think re-signing Nilsson and going with Nilsson and Ullmark would be an upgrade.

Old
06-16-2017, 01:27 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitburn View Post
Murray, since he'd admit the 1st was mismanagement of assets.
Even if that were true, which there is no reason to assume, Murray isn't the GM anymore so who gives a ****.

To add: This doesn't even make any damn sense. Even if you think that Murray is as vanity obsessed as a lot of the anti-Murray fanfiction presupposes, moving Lehner in a deal that helps fix the defense isn't taking an L.

Old
06-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

I for one am not advocating finding someone better to replace Lehner however if he wants term rather than a bridge he can get his ass moved. If he wants more than 3.8 mil a season he can get his ass moved. No way I am spending term and money on a goalie who has many warts and has been plagued by injuries.

Old
06-16-2017, 01:28 PM
TehDoak
He sure has a

vCash: 903
Quote:

I'm not a Lehner fan. Personally, I was hoping that we'd move Lehner for an asset and make a big push for Bishop. Now that he isn't available, I've got not issue keeping him as he's on par with any goalie that's readily available.

If someone offers let's say a late 1st for him, Ok. I'd be happy signing one of Mason/Miller/Bernier on a short term deal. But...I'm not for just trading him just because.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Lehner asked for a trade, however.

Closed Thread