HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumours & Proposals | Expansion Trade Freeze zzzzz Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2017, 10:47 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujju2 View Post
But is that worth 5.5 million for a 4/5? I think not.
If he's putting up 50 points/year, easily worth it. You'd have no problem moving him if you really wanted to.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:48 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
In principle it's a bit like saying why trade Yak for a 3rd when his value is low.

Eberle's a much better player than that, but if he just doesn't fit with the team then moving on is the right move. I'm not completely certain we're at that point with Ebs, but with zero points in the playoffs and a generally weak regular season that factor is on the table. Chia would know better than I could, but my impression is that it's time to move on, and that it would benefit both parties to do so.

And I am dead set against any kind of logic that says that we must keep a player to increase their value. Our goal should be to win hockey games.
I dont think that the Yak comparison applies here. There was ample evidence to suggest that Yak was not going to be an effective NHL player. So his value was never high and it was never going to improve.
Eberle is a proven NHL goal scorer and he is coming off of a bad year in which he still scored 50+ points. Yes he comes with some flaws but he is a proven scorer which is the single hardest feat to accomplish in this League. So with that in mind if his value around the League is low (which I dont buy for a second) and the only issue is style then you dont trade him at this point in time.
You wait until at least Christmas to see which teams are offensively challenged....so you wait until teams become more desperate for offence.
Then you extract more value for the player who is most likely going to have a bounce back year anyway.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Anything new? Seems to me that Chia is either trying to wait other GM's out for a better deal or has only been offered crap in return.
No one is doing much of anything at the moment, I wouldn't read much into it. We've only had one major trade and one minor trade and one trivial trade.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:51 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondcake View Post
The Avs really got nothing going on for prospects. They have a lot of young players that already graduated but if they move them for squat they are just sewered.

I was trying to figure out who I'd even take thats not on the roster....

Spencer Martin? I think that's literally it....
Wow, their drafting is...interesting.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:54 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I dont think that the Yak comparison applies here. There was ample evidence to suggest that Yak was not going to be an effective NHL player. So his value was never high and it was never going to improve.
Eberle is a proven NHL goal scorer and he is coming off of a bad year in which he still scored 50+ points. Yes he comes with some flaws but he is a proven scorer which is the single hardest feat to accomplish in this League. So with that in mind if his value around the League is low (which I dont buy for a second) and the only issue is style then you dont trade him at this point in time.
You wait until at least Christmas to see which teams are offensively challenged....so you wait until teams become more desperate for offence.
Then you extract more value for the player who is most likely going to have a bounce back year anyway.
Yup.

I think Chiarelli has an idea of what he wants in return for Eberle and if no team comes through with it, he's more than happy to keep Eberle in the near term.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:54 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
Oh I agree. MacT's Norris potential quote was devastating for Schultz.

They handed him minutes he couldn't possibly handle.

They punted their best d man in Petry because they felt Schultz was better.
Yeah...player mismanagement was so common in those days. Very glad all of that is in the rear view mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
I think the chances of Eberle having a bounce back season are greatly improved with a change of scenery. Just like Schultz needed a chance of scenario. Just like Dubynk needed (a few) changes of scenery.
You could be right about that. I think he is going to have a bounce back season regardless. Dubnyk bounced from team to team for a couple of years until he became receptive to coaching. Schultz was mishandled right from the minute he arrived.
Eberle's situation is much different.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:56 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Yup.

I think Chiarelli has an idea of what he wants in return for Eberle and if no team comes through with it, he's more than happy to keep Eberle in the near term.
Agreed.
At least I am hoping this is how he approaches this situation.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Pondcake
Esquire

vCash: 132
Quote:
Wow, their drafting is...interesting.
I guess if you count Jost......

Old
06-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Roboturner913
go texas rangers

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about Faulk even being in play. If he is then he would check off a lot of boxes for the Oilers. Not sure what the ask would be though.
Not untouchable, but the ask would be Draisatl and nothing less. Otherwise, they have no reason to make the move - and obviously you guys don't need Faulk bad enough to give up Leon.

Oilers should go hard after Barrie. His offense is probably as good as Faulk's and if you don't have to play him on the top pair his defense won't get you killed.

Old
06-16-2017, 10:59 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondcake View Post
The Avs really got nothing going on for prospects. They have a lot of young players that already graduated but if they move them for squat they are just sewered.

I was trying to figure out who I'd even take thats not on the roster....

Spencer Martin? I think that's literally it....
I didn't believe you so I went and looked... ouch. How was AJ Greer a high 2nd rounder?

Old
06-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
IMO Barrie for Eberle requires another piece.

Do you do Eberle+Bear for Barrie?
I wouldn't be willing to add Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave
I think Barrie could put up some serious numbers here if he could be sheltered down to a no.4/5 5-on-5.

To be honest I would agree we made a mistake with Justin Schultz and should have kept him, but I don't think his game recovers the same way here, going to Pittsburgh and playing with all their fire power and the more open Eastern conference did wonders for his confidence.
I've read more than a few Pitt fans who attribute Schultz's turn around to Sergei Gonchar taking him under his wing.

Old
06-16-2017, 11:02 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
I dont think that the Yak comparison applies here.
You forgot to mention that Yak twice asked to be traded. He did it very publicly. And his first trade demand came before he'd even played a season's worth of games for the Oilers. Yet he still had cheerleaders suggesting he was hard done by because of the 'Russian factor'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm fine with keeping Eberle if there's only crap being offered, but it comes with some reality checks here too.
Whatever man. imo posters don't get to slam a player in the most negative, hateful and exaggerated way possible, and then say 'I'm fine keeping him'. I mean I guess they do 'get' to do that cause its a free world and all, but the readership is then free to dismiss any further commentary from that source as not worth the time it takes to read. Its like asiaoil who flip flops on Eberle and RNH more than anything I've ever seen on this site. Who could possibly take anything he has to say on the subject seriously anymore? Posters need to think before they post and then stand by what they posted. If you really believe Eberle is a gutless piece of ****, why would you be fine with keeping him under any circumstance?

Old
06-16-2017, 11:03 PM
jeg

Just basing this trade off of the rumor Galchenyuk is on the move, they need Centers and D, would a trade like
RNH and Nurse
For
Galchenyuk, Beulieu and either 1st or Mccarron make sense

At first though we down grade in both positions hence the add in on thier side but the part is we actually need players to play in these roles. Kind of fills both needs in a sense but not sure I'd do it As I'm a Nurse fan.

Old
06-16-2017, 11:04 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
You forgot to mention that Yak twice asked to be traded. He did it very publicly. And his first trade demand came before he'd even played a season's worth of games for the Oilers. Yet he still had cheerleaders suggesting he was hard done by because of the 'Russian factor'.
Valid point.
I sure dont miss all of that Yak drama form years past. That seems to be the only element he brought to this team.

Old
06-16-2017, 11:05 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
Not untouchable, but the ask would be Draisatl and nothing less. Otherwise, they have no reason to make the move - and obviously you guys don't need Faulk bad enough to give up Leon.

Oilers should go hard after Barrie. His offense is probably as good as Faulk's and if you don't have to play him on the top pair his defense won't get you killed.
Seriously...you think Draisaitl would be the ask?

Old
06-16-2017, 11:08 PM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
You could be right about that. I think he is going to have a bounce back season regardless. Dubnyk bounced from team to team for a couple of years until he became receptive to coaching. Schultz was mishandled right from the minute he arrived.
Eberle's situation is much different.
I may have agreed with a bounce back season for Ebs being possible before the playoffs. He appeared to try his best, but did not play very well. Fans got on him pretty hard. Management has done nothing to deny the multitude of rumours about a potential Eberle trade. If he doesn't get moved it will seem as if the Oilers are stuck with him.

I think it's just a bad situation for Eberle. Most people have been stuck in crappy jobs at some point in their lives. Blame the employer or the employee, but change can be good for all parties involved. I really think that's the situation the Oilers are in with Eberle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
Not untouchable, but the ask would be Draisatl and nothing less.
GMs treat each other with more professional courtesy than that. If Francis proposed Draisaitl for Faulk, Chia quit rightly would tell him where to go. Such an insane request for overpay would ruin the relationship. No way the ask would be Draisaitl for Faulk.

Old
North

Quote:
Valid point.
I sure dont miss all of that Yak drama form years past. That seems to be the only element he brought to this team and its fans.
I genuinely liked Yak. I didn't like Larionov as his agent though.

Yak just, he's never going to be the player that lots of people hoped he would be. I think we waited as long as we could to see if he could turn it around and it just wasn't working.

He doesn't have the hockey IQ. Simple as that.

Old
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
I didn't believe you so I went and looked... ouch. How was AJ Greer a high 2nd rounder?
Well, AJ Greer was an AHL all-star this past year at age 20.

What exactly do you expect from him?

Old
06-16-2017, 11:16 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post

no kiddin', plus glass houses & ****. Look at all of our high 2nd rounders over the years. Gross.

Old
06-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDrai View Post
Didnt realize Schultz had 51 points this season...what did we get for him again?
Two rounds in the playoffs instead of the season being over in December?

Old
06-16-2017, 11:18 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
Two rounds in the playoffs instead of the season being over in December?
Bang on! Now if only we could find a right handed defenceman that can score 50 points we'll finally be ready to compete!

In the meantime, we ought to get rid of that overpaid RW Eberle. Maybe next season we can scramble for a UFA.

(... and the cycle continues)

Old
06-16-2017, 11:19 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post

38 points in 63 games is hardly all star material. Did he fill in for someone else or something?

Old
06-16-2017, 11:21 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
no kiddin', plus glass houses & ****. Look at all of our high 2nd rounders over the years. Gross.
Valid, but have a hard look at their prospect pool and tell me what excites you outside of Tyson Jost?

Gonna be some tough years in Colorado.

Old
06-16-2017, 11:21 PM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Bang on! Now if only we could find a right handed defenceman that can score 50 points we'll finally be ready to compete!

In the meantime, we ought to get rid of that overpaid RW Eberle. Maybe next season we can scramble for a UFA.

(... and the cycle continues)
What cycle is that?

Schultz was overpaid here. He took a drastic pay cut on a one-year deal with the Pens and is gonna get paid now.

Does anyone think he would have taken that pay cut to play one more seasons with the Oilers?

Old
06-16-2017, 11:22 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Seriously...you think Draisaitl would be the ask?
They can ask for Draisaitl all they like but outside of maybe 10 players in the league the response would be incredulous laughter.

Wouldn't trade Drai for anyone on the Canes.

Closed Thread