HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Frozen, The Vegas Musical..... Draft 6/21

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2017, 09:01 AM
  #451
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta
 
Hemsky is a gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
This would be a dream scenario.

Hemsky is a gangsta is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:05 AM
  #452
Wheathead
Formally a McRib
 
Wheathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,626
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
What? No. He's a UFA and they can now talk to UFAs ahead of July 1.

EDIT: It's actually sort of both. They can sign him now and he'd be the selection for Vegas, but they can just negotiate with him and sign him July 1 instead, choosing another Oiler. This whole process is convoluted.

Him being the VGK selection would be a dream scenario for me, actually.
Why on earth would they waste a pick on Russell? They could grab Khaira and still sign Russell on July 1.

Wheathead is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:06 AM
  #453
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
What? No. He's a UFA and they can now talk to UFAs ahead of July 1.

EDIT: It's actually sort of both. They can sign him now and he'd be the selection for Vegas, but they can just negotiate with him and sign him July 1 instead, choosing another Oiler. This whole process is convoluted.

Him being the VGK selection would be a dream scenario for me, actually.

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:06 AM
  #454
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!
 
x GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 29,531
vCash: 50
I don't see why the Knights should spend good money on UFAs. It doesn't make sense.

x GreatKeith is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:10 AM
  #455
SK13
T. Yoshi Muchakoopas
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,477
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheathead View Post
Why on earth would they waste a pick on Russell? They could grab Khaira and still sign Russell on July 1.
I suppose the idea is that this would be a guarantee, where waiting on free agency would put them in competition with a bunch of other teams. Not to mention the possibility the Oilers re-sign him ahead of July 1. They'd need to like him way too much, basically.

It'd be too good to be true. Saving the Oilers from themselves and getting Russell the hell out of the plans forever.

SK13 is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:12 AM
  #456
Zaddy
Registered User
 
Zaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheathead View Post
Why on earth would they waste a pick on Russell? They could grab Khaira and still sign Russell on July 1.
It's not like they'd be missing out on a great player if they sign Russell and he counts as their pick though, so why not?

Zaddy is online now  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:15 AM
  #457
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup
 
McCupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: United States
Posts: 21,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x GreatKeith View Post
I don't see why the Knights should spend good money on UFAs. It doesn't make sense.
They're just doing their due diligence, that's what good GMs do. I doubt they sign any FA's, they have better options through the expansion draft.

McCupofOil is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:16 AM
  #458
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I suppose the idea is that this would be a guarantee, where waiting on free agency would put them in competition with a bunch of other teams. Not to mention the possibility the Oilers re-sign him ahead of July 1. They'd need to like him way too much, basically.

It'd be too good to be true. Saving the Oilers from themselves and getting Russell the hell out of the plans forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
It's not like they'd be missing out on a great player if they sign Russell and he counts as their pick though, so why not?
Here's another way to look at it:

Russell is basically the best player the Oilers have unprotected. Pouliot, Pitlick, Reinhart, or Brossoit are the only 4 that I feel are on Vegas radar and I bet you they are looking at other options too like Russell. If I was LV, I'd look at Russell too.

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:22 AM
  #459
McDraekke
5-14-6-1
 
McDraekke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,402
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I suppose the idea is that this would be a guarantee, where waiting on free agency would put them in competition with a bunch of other teams. Not to mention the possibility the Oilers re-sign him ahead of July 1. They'd need to like him way too much, basically.

It'd be too good to be true. Saving the Oilers from themselves and getting Russell the hell out of the plans forever.
I'm going to skip past the part where you and others are severely under-appreciating Russell, cause we've all been over this again and again.

Let's move right to the: If we don't sign Russell, our D currently looks like:

Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Gryba-Reinhart (as in this scenario Vegas takes Russell, we still have Reinhart)

If we ice this D group until Sekera is healthy, that could very likely destroy our playoff hopes for next season. Yes, yes, everyone dreams about making a trade with Vegas for one of their D, but we're not the only team that will be in on that kind of situation, and then if we get outbid we have to try and get two replacement D (one part time, one full time) in Free Agency without overpaying for their services (if you don't like Russell at 4M, how do you feel about some of the UFA D at that price?). If we do end up getting a D from Vegas, it's likely an overpay because of a bidding war that is likely to break out due to them having one or two really good dmen available. So now we're losing likely Eberle and then other assets to get that D.

Sorry, but either way that this works out, losing Russell is bad for the team. We lose more assets than necessary if we make a trade to Vegas (likely, imo), or we have to try and fill two holes in Free Agency and then we overpay THOSE dmen, which I don't know what's available, but I don't think there's a lot.

Edit: Something else to think about - the pool of Dmen hasn't gotten any larger in comparison to other years, however the the teams vying for their services has increased. Any way you look at this, this means dmen are probably going to be making more, and valued higher than recent years. Forwards are a different story, there's always lots of young, skilled forwards in the league. But good dmen are pretty hard to come by. Russell at 4M might be a good contract (well, 4 years is hard to swallow, but still), when you take this into consideration and if it pans out that UFAs start demanding more money due to this demand, things could start looking pretty bad if we have to overpay some of the available UFAs out there.


Last edited by McDraekke: 06-19-2017 at 09:46 AM.
McDraekke is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:29 AM
  #460
McSuper
5-14-6-1
 
McSuper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,821
vCash: 500
I was just searching for anything on Spencer Foo . Here what I found


The Union College standout Spencer Foo looks to be closing in on a decision as to where he will sign in the NHL. The right-winger netted an impressed 62 points in 38 games as a junior. An Edmonton native, he appears to be closing in on signing with the Edmonton Oilers, per Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal

McSuper is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:30 AM
  #461
3rdPeriodCringe
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Here's my crazy expansion draft:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-k...rName=RVYVKTDA

Alex Burmistrov
Matt Moulson
Alex Chiasson
Josh Anderson
Cody Eakin
Benoit Pouliot
Jonathan Marchessault
Charles Hudon
James Neal
Michael Grabner
Jordan Weal
Mikkel Boedker
David Perron
Kerby Rychel
Eric Staal
Stefan Noesen

Sami Vatanen
Adam McQuaid
Klas Dahlbeck
Trevor van Riemsdyk
Brayden McNabb
Calvin de Haan
Fredrik Claesson
Jake Dotchin
Luca Sbisa
Nate Schmidt
Toby Enstrom

Calvin Pickard
Petr Mrazek
Marc-Andre Fleury

Totally unrealistic since I'll have 0.637m left for cap space lol. I could free up cap by taking Ben Chariot/Tobi Enstrom and Dumba over Staal. Preds still working out a deal over Neal/Jarnkrok so I can free some cap space if I pick up Jarnkrok.

3rdPeriodCringe is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:45 AM
  #462
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x GreatKeith View Post
I don't see why the Knights should spend good money on UFAs. It doesn't make sense.
To get players they like and make the cap floor. They might not want to pick too many of these crappy players with terrible contracts.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:49 AM
  #463
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 18,903
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSuper View Post
I was just searching for anything on Spencer Foo . Here what I found


The Union College standout Spencer Foo looks to be closing in on a decision as to where he will sign in the NHL. The right-winger netted an impressed 62 points in 38 games as a junior. An Edmonton native, he appears to be closing in on signing with the Edmonton Oilers, per Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal
The latest Matheson said was yesterday, if it matters, and that Foo would likely see what happens in the expansion draft before deciding.

Seachd is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:49 AM
  #464
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,946
vCash: 500

40oz is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:49 AM
  #465
Weitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 821
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPeriodCringe View Post
Here's my crazy expansion draft:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-k...rName=RVYVKTDA

Alex Burmistrov
Matt Moulson
Alex Chiasson
Josh Anderson
Cody Eakin
Benoit Pouliot
Jonathan Marchessault
Charles Hudon
James Neal
Michael Grabner
Jordan Weal
Mikkel Boedker
David Perron
Kerby Rychel
Eric Staal
Stefan Noesen

Sami Vatanen
Adam McQuaid
Klas Dahlbeck
Trevor van Riemsdyk
Brayden McNabb
Calvin de Haan
Fredrik Claesson
Jake Dotchin
Luca Sbisa
Nate Schmidt
Toby Enstrom

Calvin Pickard
Petr Mrazek
Marc-Andre Fleury

Totally unrealistic since I'll have 0.637m left for cap space lol. I could free up cap by taking Ben Chariot/Tobi Enstrom and Dumba over Staal. Preds still working out a deal over Neal/Jarnkrok so I can free some cap space if I pick up Jarnkrok.
What do you think the Oilers would give for them to take Pouliot? There is certainly no way they take him with any sort of compensation.

Weitz is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:52 AM
  #466
ToeMcDrag83
5-14-6-1
 
ToeMcDrag83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 500
Vegas is going to have a competitive team right away.

With those assets available, they can already ice something better than the Coyotes and Canucks.

Couple that with zero expectation, pressure free hockey in a market where everyone is just going to be pumped to have a team, they'll pull out some wins you won't expect.

The rules couldn't be written any better for them to hit the ground running.

ToeMcDrag83 is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:59 AM
  #467
McCanovin
1% is the new 11.5%
 
McCanovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 780
Posts: 7,459
vCash: 500
Vegas is going to be the first team ever to pick 5+ times in the 1st round and still ice a competitive team

McCanovin is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 09:59 AM
  #468
Weitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 821
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeMcDrag83 View Post
Vegas is going to have a competitive team right away.

With those assets available, they can already ice something better than the Coyotes and Canucks.

Couple that with zero expectation, pressure free hockey in a market where everyone is just going to be pumped to have a team, they'll pull out some wins you won't expect.

The rules couldn't be written any better for them to hit the ground running.
Yup, but that's because they wouldn't get a $500 million expansion fee if they weren't able to be somewhat competitive right away.

Weitz is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 10:03 AM
  #469
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 18,495
vCash: 132
They've already been crushed by the Oakland Raiders.

BoldNewLettuce is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 10:04 AM
  #470
LTIR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8,311
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
To get players they like and make the cap floor. They might not want to pick too many of these crappy players with terrible contracts.
I dont think reaching the cap floor will be an issues for them considering how many decent big money players are exposed. There is no need for them to pick up someone like Pouliot unless there are incentives involved.

Methot, DeHaan, Fleury, Grubauer, Ryan, Neal should already get them halfway to cap floor.

LTIR is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 10:05 AM
  #471
3rdPeriodCringe
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What do you think the Oilers would give for them to take Pouliot? There is certainly no way they take him with any sort of compensation.
Eat some of his salary and/or late round pick.

Just saw the tweet from LeBrun. Russell going to VGK might be the better route too.

3rdPeriodCringe is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 10:07 AM
  #472
North
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCanovin View Post
Vegas is going to be the first team ever to pick 5+ times in the 1st round and still ice a competitive team
Depends on who they agree not to pick.

They may just deal themselves out of that decent lineup to ensure they can fill their prospect pipeline.

North is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 10:08 AM
  #473
Aceboogie
Registered User
 
Aceboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPeriodCringe View Post
Eat some of his salary and/or late round pick.

Just saw the tweet from LeBrun. Russell going to VGK might be the better route too.
I think this would be one of the best outcomes for the Oilers. Would either save them from an overpay (if he was going to sign here) or would save us from losing anyone in ED (if he wasnt going to sign here anyway). Then wed have cap space and room to add that 2RD (Vatanen, Hamonic etc).

Pouliot being claimed is a close 2nd for best outcome. I wouldnt offer Vegas all that much to take him over Reinhart, maybe a 3rd or something. Mostly because I am indifferent between the 2

Aceboogie is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 10:23 AM
  #474
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,952
vCash: 500
I'd rather lose one of the guys we have talked about previously and be able to keep Russell. If russell goes the oilers better be working very very hard to get another Dman or two.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 10:26 AM
  #475
SK13
T. Yoshi Muchakoopas
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,477
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondcake View Post
They've already been crushed by the Oakland Raiders.
The NFL doesn't offer much direct competition to the NHL in any market.

This is almost entirely a non-factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDraekke View Post
I'm going to skip past the part where you and others are severely under-appreciating Russell, cause we've all been over this again and again.

Let's move right to the: If we don't sign Russell, our D currently looks like:
The fundamental disagreement we have and will always have is that the group is not that much better WITH him.

At least without they save that 4M dollars to spend somewhere on an actual top 4 defenseman.

SK13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.