HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tom Renney's Best Move Yet....

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Jim Ramsay

vCash: 500
Tom Renney's Best Move Yet....

was putting Lundqvist in goal in the 3rd. Weekes was terrible tonight, letting rebounds up after every shot. Lundqvist was awesome tonight coming in cold and stopping hard shot after hard shot. We would have not won tonight if Weekes was in goal in the 3rd, this proves Lundqvist is our goalie for the rest of the year, the playoffs, and the future.

Old
03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
bk3nj

agreed, 90%. The other 10% of me thinks that Renney's best move was wearing that awful jacket (seriously, did he think he was Herb Brooks or something?) I think the Sabres were mesmerized by it...

Back to the serious bit, though - Weekes was very disappointing. He had been playing fairly well of late, too (until tonight). As a result, Lundqvist further seals his rep as cool in the clutch. Also nice to see that he tied the Ranger record for wins in a season by a rookie!

Old
03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunham
this proves Lundqvist is our goalie for the rest of the year, the playoffs, and the future.

Was there any doubt that he was not the goalie for the rest of the year or the playoffs?

He is the goalie for the future though, until Montoya is ready then we will have a horserace.

Old
03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunham
was putting Lundqvist in goal in the 3rd. Weekes was terrible tonight, letting rebounds up after every shot. Lundqvist was awesome tonight coming in cold and stopping hard shot after hard shot. We would have not won tonight if Weekes was in goal in the 3rd, this proves Lundqvist is our goalie for the rest of the year, the playoffs, and the future.
Also credit his line changes for the night in a whole, and especially in the 3rd

Old
03-27-2006, 09:13 PM
DontStaal

weekes is gonna be found in a garbage can tomorrow

Old
03-27-2006, 09:21 PM
The Dawg*

i thought it was a pretty easy decision to pull weekes

Old
03-27-2006, 09:44 PM
shoothepuck

Renney said it in the post game interview, it was win win, the fans love Lundqvist, the team plays well behind him, and they come back and win. I'm gonna order that jacket of his with #68/30 on the back

Old
03-27-2006, 09:48 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Renneys best move was clearly the jacket he wore tonight

Old
03-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I loved the jacket.

Old
03-27-2006, 09:59 PM
nyr7andcounting

We wouldn't have won that game without Lundqvist. Putting him in net gave the building a lift to start the 3rd period. And he made 2 great saves on odd man rushes late in the game. When your trying to come back and your pressing for goals, the other team is going to get a break once in a while and you need your goalie to make a huge save or 2. Lundqvist did it for us. Not to mention, 3 for 3 in the SO.

Old
03-27-2006, 09:59 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Renneys best move was clearly the jacket he wore tonight
I would argue that the jacket was Renneys WORST move!

Old
03-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Salz

Why was Weekes startin in the first place? This was a huge game. Lundqvist should have been starting in the first period. We should be crticizing Renney for not starting him originally, not praising him for making the decision to late. (Yes, to late, we lost a point on Buffalo. Don't forget that.)

Old
03-27-2006, 10:04 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
haha Im gonna have to agree with the posters who said the jacket. That man was snaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzy!!! I have one just like that, but the only time I wore it was a some dance junior year of high school when I was really drunk. I love it.

Old
03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Fletch

Weekes hadn't played in a while...

and it was necessary to play him. Tough coming in so cold. Lundqvist hasn't exactly been stellar the last couple games. I still do not understand the Weekes bashing (and I think it's been clear since December that Lundqvist is this team's #1 goaltender - he's gotten by far the lion's share of the starts).

Old
03-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Levitate

it's one thing to bash weekes for no reason...it's another to say he had a terrible game tonight. 3 of those 4 goals were ones he just should have had and that's all.

it is tough cuz he doesn't get a ton of games, but he'll play well and then go and blow it on a routine save. i really do like the guy but i just wish he wouldn't do that...and tonight he was just bad. not a good night for him

Old
03-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
but he'll play well and then go and blow it on a routine save. i really do like the guy but i just wish he wouldn't do that...and tonight he was just bad. not a good night for him

This is exactly why he is a backup goaltender, before tonights game he had a save % of .900.
That puts him 24th in the league.

Only three backup goaltenders have a better save % than Kevin Weekes.

1. ILJA BRYZGALOV ANA
2. RAY EMERY OTT
3 .MARTIN BIRON BUF
4. KEVIN Weekes NYR

He has the FOURTH best save precentage of all backup goaltenders.
Simply put he has done his job.

Old
03-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Salz

Weekes hasn't been as bad as people make him out to be. Regardless, I would have started Lundqvist tonight.

Old
03-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Pizza

It was a pressure situation and unfortunately Weekes failed the test. We need to be able to rest Hank. Weekes has to be able to step in and give us a chance to win in a big game....and he failed to do that. People are having their fun, but we got a problem here. We will need some strong games from Weekes before this year is done. Hank can not start every game for the rest of the year. Weekes has to find a way to bounce back from this and pull himself together. I think he and the team are more comfortable when he plays on the road.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Salz

I would have started Weekes this weekend because we have a back to back. One vs Ottawa and the other vs the Isles. We should have saved him for the Isles game, have him play vs a ****tier team.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:50 AM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and it was necessary to play him. Tough coming in so cold. Lundqvist hasn't exactly been stellar the last couple games. I still do not understand the Weekes bashing (and I think it's been clear since December that Lundqvist is this team's #1 goaltender - he's gotten by far the lion's share of the starts).
weekes just played against florida in the weekly "5 hole game"

Old
03-28-2006, 12:53 AM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
It was a pressure situation and unfortunately Weekes failed the test. We need to be able to rest Hank. Weekes has to be able to step in and give us a chance to win in a big game....and he failed to do that. People are having their fun, but we got a problem here. We will need some strong games from Weekes before this year is done. Hank can not start every game for the rest of the year. Weekes has to find a way to bounce back from this and pull himself together. I think he and the team are more comfortable when he plays on the road.
i agree. as much as he sucks you cant start henrik every game to end the season. He'll need some rest for the playoffs where hell play every game and hopefully it will be a lot more than 4.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:00 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Jacket

does anyone have a picture of this said "miracle jacket?"

Old
03-28-2006, 08:21 AM
True Blue

[QUOTE=Levitate]it's one thing to bash weekes for no reason...it's another to say he had a terrible game tonight. 3 of those 4 goals were ones he just should have had and that's all.
[\QUOTE]
At least two of the goals, he was utterly abandoned by the defense. On the first, Rozsival failed to simply clear the puck and then got outmuscled by a player half his size, and was there a defenseman anywhere near Briere on his goal? The defense was so far out of position, it was simply embarassing.

Old
03-28-2006, 08:29 AM
Levitate

I'm sorry TB...even if the defense let him down, those were saves that any goalie has to make.

I mean for christs sake, that first one he went to his knees on top of his goal stick and let in an incredibly soft shot through his pads. No matter that the defense messed that up, because the shot was still weak as hell and there's not a single ******* excuse for Weekes to not have that. None.

The Briere goal? poor poor rebound control, and then he just froze and stared at the puck in front of him and watched Briere take it and beat him. Yeah, a defenseman there definately would have helped, but it's still a save/play that you have to make as a NHL goalie and he flat out didn't make it.

I hope he bounces back fine and has a good game next time, but he just struggled last night

Old
03-28-2006, 08:29 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
At least two of the goals, he was utterly abandoned by the defense. On the first, Rozsival failed to simply clear the puck and then got outmuscled by a player half his size, and was there a defenseman anywhere near Briere on his goal? The defense was so far out of position, it was simply embarassing.
The Rangers play different in front of Weekes. I have no idea why. They abandon him so much more than they do Lundqvist. Weekes needs some help to be successful, and so does Lundqvist. Dont forget about the Phila and Caps games.

Closed Thread