HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vegas Expansion Thread (Nate Schmidt selected)

Old
06-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Thats just the order they are announcing the picks. The players will be selected in advance Im sure. Nothing with the order has anything to do with who they take.
No but it could be one way to piece together who they may be more inclined to take. They could also have a side deal negotiated with the Caps, which changes things up entirely. It seems none of those deals will be officially announced beforehand (though, again, many will leak).

Edit: I'd only safely count two or three teams aggressively wanting a goalie from Vegas (or via trade in general) and that's Arizona, Winnipeg and maybe Buffalo. It should be a matter of who those teams want Vegas to pick for them, assuming they're prepared to meet the asking price and it makes it worth VGK's while to take a goaltender over another option. Assuming Fleury will be VGK's starter then Mrazek and Grubauer stand out as the prime options to flip. Pickard could be another. The addition of Buffalo potentially should still make Grubauer the heavy favorite as the selection.

Last edited by Langway; 06-18-2017 at 01:31 PM..
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 01:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

vCash: 500
He should lie?! He's definitely going to be "posturing". Lol

This is the sales pitch I envision.

George: Hey Brian, we've had Schmidt as our target all along. But now I've got two teams after him in. Trade. The Pens and Rangers. Best offer is a 2nd round pick. Would you be willing to beat that offer by a little? You know I don't want to help either of those teams out (wink wink).

Meanwhile he's got no real offers. Lol.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 01:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I ran through cap friendly with the correct lists...

Cammallari - Plekanec - Neal
McGinn - Sheahan - Perron
Calvert - Eakin - Raffl
Bouma - Strome - Marchessault
Stempniak

Rychel/Gaunce

Methot - Dumba
McNabb - Manson
Dillon - TVR/C Miller

Reinhart

I picked Enstrom (only because the rest of what Winn has is garbage)....but would deal him for whatever anyone wants to give.

Fleury
Raanta
Grubi
Pickard
Ullmark

Id go hard after Alzner in UFA and stock pile picks with trading goalies and if teams want to protect any of those cats up there.

Vegas is going to be sitting pretty regardless.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Brian23

Honestly, I think I'd take all 3 of Fluery, Mrazek, and Raanta. I think he could unload one or two of them for good packages. Just go BIS and fill the team out with trades from there.

Brian23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 02:35 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post

This is the sales pitch I envision.

George: Hey Brian, we've had Schmidt as our target all along. But now I've got two teams after him in. Trade. The Pens and Rangers. Best offer is a 2nd round pick. Would you be willing to beat that offer by a little? You know I don't want to help either of those teams out (wink wink).

Meanwhile he's got no real offers. Lol.
I hope there are enough GMs in the league that will insist that McPhee divulge who's making the offers so they can be verified. Teams may not be able to deal with other teams but I would think they can still talk.

The first time McPhee bluffs a GM and gets found out I believe word will spread and his deals will fall apart. He has to suspect this. So it's likely he'll have to stay above board with his demands.

Still seems like ransom.

06-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Roshi

McPhee has to know NS is the guy we dont wanna lose here. If i was in McPhees bigboypants and NS wasnt really my choice, i would still blackmail something out of McLellans pockets. Maybe as simple as to ask for Alzners UFA rights in exchange to protect Schmidt. Extends your window to Alzner and you get player anyways if Karl doesnt sign.

Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 02:46 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshi View Post
McPhee has to know NS is the guy we dont wanna lose here. If i was in McPhees bigboypants and NS wasnt really my choice, i would still blackmail something out of McLellans pockets. Maybe as simple as to ask for Alzners UFA rights in exchange to protect Schmidt. Extends your window to Alzner and you get player anyways if Karl doesnt sign.
but he already has alzners rights by himself for the next 72 hours

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Roshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
but he already has alzners rights by himself for the next 72 hours
Yes. But signing him in that period makes him lose the pick on our team.

Alzner is most likely walking to free agency anyways, so why give us a free pass. Having his rights and signing one day after expansion draft lets you have Beagle/Gruby also.

Old
06-18-2017, 02:54 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshi View Post
Yes. But signing him in that period makes him lose the pick on our team.

Alzner is most likely walking to free agency anyways, so why give us a free pass. Having his rights and signing one day after expansion draft lets you have Beagle/Gruby also.
thing is, even if they lose schmidt caps are fine. sure we all want to keep schmidt but caps have taylor chorney, aaron ness, christian djoos, madison bowey, jonas sigenthaler and even tyler lewington to play with orpik on bottom pair

then caps can ship out grubauer who appears that everyone wants for a defender

Old
06-18-2017, 03:04 PM
OV Rocks

It is probably a stupid idea but is there a way were GMBM could just say if you take Grubauer we will give you the rights to Alzner and Shattenkirk plus send you Orpik.

He could just pick Grubauer and move on but he also could get 4 players instead of 1. Alzner and Shattenkirk aren't coming back so they are irrelevant Vegas gets a head start on two top UFAs, unload Orpik Vegas gets a "leader of men", and Vegas gets a good goalie to use or flip.

That is my idea

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Roshi

Quote:
thing is, even if they lose schmidt caps are fine. sure we all want to keep schmidt but caps have taylor chorney, aaron ness, christian djoos, madison bowey, jonas sigenthaler and even tyler lewington to play with orpik on bottom pair

Sure. We will be fine. Thats not what im after, just speculating how i would want to see my GM to operate in expansion draft, not letting anyone off the hook the easy way.

McPhee hasnt shown huge abilities in asset management so who knows, he just might do the easiest way for us in signing Alzner in his 72 hour window. Or just take his homeboy Beagle. But I would go for both in his shoes (if not going for NS).

Old
06-18-2017, 03:15 PM
ovikovy817

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Thats just the order they are announcing the picks. The players will be selected in advance Im sure. Nothing with the order has anything to do with who they take.
I know, but for us fans, we don't know who will be taken.

ovikovy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 03:19 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovikovy817 View Post
I know, but for us fans, we don't know who will be taken.
im 99 percent sure even we will know before the expansion draft

Old
06-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:

But...who would play with Carlson? That's the hole that would open up without Schmidt. You don't want to put Orpik there unless it absolutely has to happen. Djoos deserves a shot and perhaps Bowey could be ready but not together on the third pair and none of the rest should be counted on as regulars. They do have some third pair options but they'd need a better fit on the left side of the second pair without 88. That could be a tough task in UFA and could impact their cap decisions at RW. I don't think the Caps would get the D they'd want from ARI/BUF/WPG via Grubauer aside from maybe McCabe. If Grubauer remains he should be dealt for either futures, cheap NHL-ready prospects or a player signed to strong value.

We know McPhee has reneged on UFA handshake deals in the past. Is there anything stopping him from doing the same with other GMs in agreements that weren't officially submitted to the league prior to the trade freeze?

Old
06-18-2017, 03:31 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Lies, posturing, whatever we call it - he should definitely kick tires on guys he doesn't want, as someone else may want him via George.

The only reason to not use deception, is he is on the clock, and will likely run out of time before every option is fully explored and worked out.

Do you still think he will try to tank / finish as one of the worst 3 teams? I still see him needing to compete right away.

Will their owner have deep pockets, or will he be a value guy? If he opens his checkbook and players are willing to go to Vegas, he can certainly land a few UFAs.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 03:32 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
But...who would play with Carlson? That's the hole that would open up without Schmidt. You don't want to put Orpik there unless it absolutely has to happen. Djoos deserves a shot and perhaps Bowey could be ready but not together on the third pair and none of the rest should be counted on as regulars. They do have some third pair options but they'd need a better fit on the left side of the second pair without 88. That could be a tough task in UFA and could impact their cap decisions at RW. I don't think the Caps would get the D they'd want from ARI/BUF/WPG via Grubauer aside from maybe McCabe. If Grubauer remains he should be dealt for either futures, cheap NHL-ready prospects or a player signed to strong value.

We know McPhee has reneged on UFA handshake deals in the past. Is there anything stopping him from doing the same with other GMs in agreements that weren't officially submitted to the league prior to the trade freeze?
some other ones could be mark stuart (jets) ben chiarot (jets) justin falk (sabres) heck even josh georges could work

Old
06-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:

That list of #7-9 quality defensemen and prospects is not nearly as confidence inspiring as you make it out to be.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 03:36 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
That list of #7-9 quality defensemen and prospects is not nearly as confidence inspiring as you make it out to be.
thing is, thats something that is always said and then a nate schmidt shows up. or a taylor chorney has an amazing year (two years ago) all they need is playing time

Old
06-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
some other ones could be mark stuart (jets) ben chiarot (jets) justin falk (sabres) heck even josh georges could work
Better to just go with Orpik than any of those players. That sidesteps the whole Orpik contract issue but that's the way it goes. Knowing them if they were to lose Schmidt they may be way more concerned with too much blueline turnover than the issues 44's contract poses. But it's a bit more justifiable if 44 is a decent 2LD at least.

Chorney has never been amazing. Anything beyond replacement level has to come from Djoos or Bowey and that's not a lock just yet.

Old
06-18-2017, 03:38 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Better to just go with Orpik than any of those players. That sidesteps the whole Orpik contract issue but that's the way it goes. Knowing them if they were to lose Schmidt they may be way more concerned with too much blueline turnover than the issues 44's contract poses.
how can mccabe be ok but not any of these guys?

Old
06-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
thing is, thats something that is always said and then a nate schmidt shows up. or a taylor chorney has an amazing year (two years ago) all they need is playing time
Or they actually have a couple injuries and turn to Steve Oleksy, Patrick Wey, Julien Brouillette, Tyson Strachan, Alexander Urbom, Jack Hillen, and Cameron Schilling.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
how can mccabe be ok but not any of these guys?
Because he's younger and still may have some upside to him. Plus, I'm not sure just how much of his possession weaknesses were Buffalo/usage vs. him as a player. Whereas the rest have a long track record of being very poor possession defensemen and are less viable top four options than Orpik. Compared to those options they'd be better served scrounging around in UFA and shooting for cap value in any return. McCabe could provide that for the next two seasons. It's not a lock but it's possible.

Old
06-18-2017, 03:50 PM
um

Looking at the other defenseman available we should be able to make GMGM look away from Schmidt.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 04:45 PM
ovikovy817

I just saw that Vatanen was available. Wow

ovikovy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 04:52 PM
twabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovikovy817 View Post
I just saw that Vatanen was available. Wow
I think there is reportedly a deal in place between Vegas and Anaheim to make sure they don't select Vatanen.

twabby is online now   Reply With Quote