HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official Game Thread: NYR-ANA

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Theoren Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
My God are the Ducks boring..

Anyways, 3-0 Ducks with only one period left....

Lets Go Rangers!

Old
10-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmekel
Somehow, I don't think Eric's gonna get too many points tonight.
Erm, shows how much sleep I got last night. Doesn't matter tonight though, Eric has just as good a chance of scoring from the press box as these bums.

Old
10-28-2003, 04:28 PM
dedalus

No worries. This is just a bump in the road. We just happened to run into a hot backup goaltender.

Old
10-28-2003, 04:49 PM
devildan

That Simon post-penalty cursing was friggen hilarious

Old
10-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
I feel sooo bad for Kovalev; he is working his ass off...

Old
10-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

hlavac sucks and if rheumme is injured than wiseman should be brought up for thursdays game over moore.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:03 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunham
3-1 ducks
slick!
go get a lottery ticket

Old
10-28-2003, 05:03 PM
Fletch

You said it dedalus..

Do you think other teams say tha about the Rangers?

Old
10-28-2003, 05:05 PM
PotiFan03

Damn what bad luck!! Dunham did not deserve to be scored on three times.

The Rangers deserved better than this. The effort was there, they just couldn't put the puck in the net.

I just can't be too hard on the Rangers. They really deserved to win this game. This is where you can't blame coaching. You can't coach a player to be more accurate when taking a shot or deflecting a shot on goal.

This was pure bad luck tonight. This is where the Rangers miss Bure.

:mad:

Old
10-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Fletch

Glad to see Kovalev...

get his first...hopefully it's a start for him. I tell ya though, he's been playing very well, doing everything on that line. I don't think his linemates are up to the task right now (Hlavac maybe never...Nedved's always a slow starter).

Old
10-28-2003, 05:15 PM
ihatenewjersey

our offense looks like crap and our power play is just disgusting, the only thing i saw i liked was our last pk when we had a few good chances, what has to happen to kickstart our offense

Old
10-28-2003, 05:18 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Props to Kovalev, he did everything tonight. I thought the Rangers did good, Gerber was the difference. Simon is a joke, his penalties hurt us bad today. If Sather has any spine he would bench him for the next game.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:20 PM
ihatenewjersey

kovy was getting really pissed tonight and......shooting the puck... thats right shooting the puck and guess what it went in

Old
10-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey
kovy was getting really pissed tonight and......shooting the puck... thats right shooting the puck and guess what it went in
That shot was a laser. Couldn't tell if it deflected, but I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Congrats to Kovalev on his first of the year.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Before the homestand i said we'd go 2-2-2... Right now it's at 2-1-2..... this team really is predictable.....

Old
10-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Edge

i liked again what i saw out of lundmark as a penalty killer and as a player who heads to the net but he's never gonna get points unless he is given more icetime.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:13 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
i liked again what i saw out of lundmark as a penalty killer and as a player who heads to the net but he's never gonna get points unless he is given more icetime.
I thought he was pretty invisible for the most part but that could be because of his lack of ice time. Seems he's on a fourth line now.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:08 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Props to Kovalev, he did everything tonight. I thought the Rangers did good, Gerber was the difference. Simon is a joke, his penalties hurt us bad today. If Sather has any spine he would bench him for the next game.
Is Kovalev playing through injury or did he just get an mcl sprain in tonights game?

Old
10-28-2003, 11:30 PM
Edge

nah i saw more than a few plays where he was taking a shift with messier and carter where they were generating scoring chances.

the thing is he's caught in a catch 22, he generates some offense but getting 5 mins a night isnt going to help that.

i just wanna see a string of 5 games in a row where he gets 15-16 mins. i really think he might be able to put up some points but hey why use him when we have Hlvac and Rucinsky dominating the way they do.

for a team that is all offense the rangers cant seem to score much this season.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:19 AM
tony

for a team that is all offense the rangers cant seem to score much this season.[/QUOTE]

they looked slow last night. bouchard seemed to be the only guy that was willing to attack the offensive blueline with speed and back the d in. we were very predictable with the puck at the blueline. we'd plod through the neutral zone and constantly go east west trying to find and opening. i can understand the trap has a lot to do with it but c'mon.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:52 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
your being way too hard on simon. he had a really good game. according to the announcers (whom i really shouldnt trust) hes been playing pretty well all year. i think your letting your bias's affect your judgement and perception of how hes playing.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:18 AM
True Blue

My take

There are several things to note about last night. Unlike the previous years, when we could take absoultely nothing from losses, there were some positive things here. The fact of the matter is that the Rangers dominated the Ducks at even strength. Another fact of the matter was that our special teams were simply atrocious last night. Granted one of the goals was a 50 ft. slapshot and an other bounced of 3 skates before going in.
There was a disturbing thing or 2 as well. First of all, Dunham's Achiles heel reared it's ugly head. He was kicking the rebounds out to the Duck players again. In the previous 4 games he got away from that. And I was under the impression that the 50 ft slapshot goal would go away when Richter retired. Guess not.
A FAR more disturbing thing was amount of ice time that Jackass heaped onto Messier. 19:55 of ice time? 7:27 in the 2nd and 8:07 in the 3rd? Come one now. Bobby Holik got 17:57 of total ice time and did not make an appearance on the PP after the first period. Now Messier started well but overall I thought that he did not have a strong game last night. Especiall on the PP. I thought that Mess looked pretty poor on the PP. WHAT THE EFF'??!! Haven't we seen this before? Messier is no longer capable of being a player that thrives with nearly 20 minutes of ice time. I understand Nedved & Kovalev getting over 20 minutes. But Messier getting nearly 20? He is certainly not our 3rd most important player.
And off course with Messier getting all the ice time, the rolling of 4 lines disappeared. Jaime who? As I said yesterday, Manny Malhotra Part Deux. Pretty soon the "Jaime needs to grab the bull by the horns" comments should be coming. The only reason that he even got 9:42 of ice time was because Simon got tossed out of the game. How can a 22 year old create offense when he is paired with Rheume and Lacoutre? Who, unless you are TGO or Lemieux, could create anything that resembles offense when you have those 2 as linemates? Once again, here is an example of a Rangers promising yut not being put into a position to succeed. Absolutely assinine. Let's hope that with Wiseman coming up to play, that him and Ludmark click and are able to feed off of each other.
Back to the positives. 36 SOG's for and 22 against. As far as shots go, what more could you ask for? Another fact about last night is that the Rangers actually appeared to play hard. Losses in the previous 6 years were almost always accompanied with shoddy, lackadasical play. Last night they were playing hard and charging hard.
If I have to give props to Jackass and Renney about the imroved play at even strength and the good PK (for the most part), I have to give them flak for the PP (and the absurd notion that Messie is anything but a 4th liner). Send a player to the front of the net. How could Holik NOT be on the PP after the first period?
Like I said some good things but some bad ones as well. They are beginning a stretch of 18 games in 34 nights. If Jackass leans on Messier this way, his play is going to deteriorate to completely abysmal within 10 games.
But all is not lost. If they continue to play hard defensively, good things should happen. Gotta believe that efforts like last night coupled with Lindros and Leetch SHOULD lead to good things.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:37 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
TrueBlue I completely agree with EVERYTHING you just wrote.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:03 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Messier sucks on the PP :p

Power play , that is....

You want to know why? He's too easy to read. Opposing players sense the next move he's going to make because his thought process out there has slowed down, he's too readable. Plus, the rest of our players seem to always try and get Mess the puck...why? To help him reach more milestones? Who gives a turkey about milestones!?

Maybe we should sign Marcel Dionne & Guy LaFleur, that'll get the geriatric PP going....

Old
10-29-2003, 05:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
My takes:

Positives

- Kovalev had his best game yet. And not just because he scored. He played with an edge and showed some leadership.

- Say what you will, but I think that Simon has been good. He created more scoring chances than any other player on this team last night. A soft penalty call and blowing his top put a damper on his performance last night.

- Tom Poti was physical last night. No really.

- The team worked hard. And kept things simple. The did face a goalie who played extremely well.

Negatives

- Dunham was shaky. The first goal seemed to rattle him a bit.

- The PP is simply awful. If the skill guys aren't getting it done, try guys who would kill for PP time (Lundmark, Simon, Barnaby).

- The M & M boys are lost. The puck came to Mironov at the point and he had no idea what to do with it. When he finally made a decision, it was too late all the passing and shooting lanes were closed.

- Jan Hlavac was taken out of the game in the first period when Salei dropped him on his rump.

- This team needs to find a way to let Kaspar be Kaspar. A guy who two years ago led the team in hits is timid and uncertain. This team needs to find a partner to play with hims that will let him do his thing. Maybe when Leetch returns, deVries will be paired with Kaspar.

- Holiks physical game lasted on game it seems. He should have punished Federov.

- Anson Carter. Anytime you're ready big guy.

Neutrals

- Lundmark. He is good on the PK but is doing nothing offensively. Can't get his shot off.

- Messier. He wifted on a couple of gimme goals. But his line is doing most game in and game out.

- The PK. Gave up two PP goals but it still looks solid.

If there is such a thing as a good loss, this was it. The team did not quit. Taking bad penalties, the weak PP and Gerber were the difference.