2017-18 Celtics/NBA Off-Season - Gordon Hayward signs with Celtics

Old
06-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 6000000
2017-18 Celtics/NBA Off-Season - Gordon Hayward signs with Celtics

Last edited by Fenway: 07-04-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:13 PM
CDJ

vCash: 500
I don't necessarily think it's a good deal and I don't necessarily think it's a bad deal. It definitely isn't worthy of such an overreaction that I've seen everywhere, especially since we have no idea what the other dominos are. It's just a hilarious repeat of history. The same people crying at the deadline only to be proven wrong....the same people booing Jaylen brown before he even stepped foot here....how about try something different at this point (this isn't @ hf, this is at a pretty large chunk of Celtics fans). Maybe wait a secone?

They clearly don't love the player/person in Fultz. They have BK again next year and also now another possible top 5 in a big-heavy draft. If that doesn't convey then they get a chance at #1 again the following year since the Kings are the most dysfunctional organization in all of professional sports. They are going to end up with either 4 high lottery guys entering their prime as the warriors/lebron should hopefully be winding down or they are gonna move the picks for superstars. I think the Cavs can be had. I don't think the warriors can be but ****/injuries happen

Idk what more Danny has to do to get the benefit of the doubt though tbh. There's a reason other GMs are afraid to trade with him.

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

The Celtics have traded the 1st pick for the 3rd before, and it turned out great

Quote:
The Celtics have been here before.

News that the Celtics have an agreement to deal the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft to Philadelphia for the No. 3 pick this year plus others brought back memories of a similar move they made in 1980 that turned out quite well.

That year, the Warriors traded Robert Parish and the No. 3 pick to Boston acquire the No. 1 pick in the 1980 draft. Golden State selected center Joe Barry Carroll.

The Celtics took Kevin McHale with the third pick, and he became part of the foundation for three championship teams en route to a 13-year Hall of Fame career. The move added McHale and Parish to a frontcourt that already featured Larry Bird and Cedric Maxwell, and the Celtics won the NBA Championship following the 1980-81 season.

Carroll played for five teams in his 10-year career, averaging 17.7 points and 7.7 rebounds.

Old
06-18-2017, 06:28 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
not in the modern draft era, can you even remotely comparing 1980 to 2017

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:38 PM
KrejciMVP

what a U-turn, the who narrative and future has turned for the worse. It will now be Danny legacy vs Fultz legacy forever linked. Makes me nautious.

https://sports.yahoo.com/danny-ainge...153425097.html

KrejciMVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
what a U-turn, the who narrative and future has turned for the worse. It will now be Danny legacy vs Fultz legacy forever linked. Makes me nautious.

Always been a fan of GMs who are willing to go with their vision rather than just playing along with the safe consensus. Say what you want about Danny, but theres a real guy there making a real choice.

Over the volcano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:47 PM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the volcano View Post
Always been a fan of GMs who are willing to go with their vision rather than just playing along with the safe consensus. Say what you want about Danny, but theres a real guy there making a real choice.
sure, but this is the #1 pick. An easy layup blown by an over thinker. Talent will trump the so called "in danny we trust" which is crap IMO. Talent wins, not media narratives

Old
06-18-2017, 07:09 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Sure, but the difference was that they got a current NBA player in Parish, along with the pick, and both he and McHale contributed immediately. In the scenario for this year, they get the 3rd pick, and a future pick sometime in the next two years. Big difference between that move and this one. No immediate help, kicking the can down the road for the future, yet again, and really, who's to say they get a better player in a year or two than now? Lots of risk, not much upside to this. I simply don't get the move. And I say that as someone who is not against moving the pick, just not for that return.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 07:11 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

I will say that the only way this move gets worse is if Ainge then flips the future pick or packages other future picks to get a guy like Butler or Paul. That would be the absolute worst case scenario.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 07:54 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Clode

Quote:

"Nautious"?? (I'm assuming you mean nauseous?)

Anyway, could you get any more overly dramatic with this stuff? Once Ainge assembled the Big 3 and won a championship, I think his legacy was set. This isn't to say that he doesn't make mistakes, but as CDJ points out, hasn't the guy done enough to get the benefit of the doubt?

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 08:56 PM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
"Nautious"?? (I'm assuming you mean nauseous?)

Anyway, could you get any more overly dramatic with this stuff? Once Ainge assembled the Big 3 and won a championship, I think his legacy was set. This isn't to say that he doesn't make mistakes, but as CDJ points out, hasn't the guy done enough to get the benefit of the doubt?
Means nothing. Can't live in 2008 or 1986.

Old
06-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Gator Mike

Paul George, anyone?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/pa...cluded-so-far/

Gator Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:01 PM
CDJ

Quote:
Means nothing. Can't live in 2008 or 1986.

Has nothing to do with those years. Has everything to do with him being right about a billion times in recent years. He will probably be right again. And the people who ***** still won't shut up

The guy knows what he is doing. His legacy is fine. And he gives a rats ass about his legacy, he cares about doing what he thinks is best for the team. He's belichick without the best player in the league in that respect

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:05 PM
kman22

You draft Fultz and either Bradley, IT, or Smart has to go, right? So this move let's them continue building for the long term, while maintaining some level of relevance in the meantime. Are they beating the Warriors in a series, unlikely, but having 3 potential top 5 picks in the next 2 drafts, plus last year's #3 and this year's #3 is a pretty solid base to build around.

As mentioned above, that changes if they trade future picks for now, barring a franchise player acquisition. But isolating this move, I don't hate it, especially because it would indicate that they didn't see a huge gap between Fultz and whoever they intend to take.

I'd have liked more draft capital than just the 2 picks, for sure, but this week just got even more interesting.

kman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:08 PM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post

Has nothing to do with those years. Has everything to do with him being right about a billion times in recent years. He will probably be right again. And the people who ***** still won't shut up

The guy knows what he is doing. His legacy is fine. And he gives a rats ass about his legacy, he cares about doing what he thinks is best for the team. He's belichick without the best player in the league in that respect
I don't be the hoodie comparisons. Not even on the same ballpark Imo

Old
06-18-2017, 09:25 PM
jdz

At least when bruins management make mind-numbingly stupid trades they do it with teams out of their conference or division.

If fultz turns out to be what he's projected we've gotta deal with playing him 8 or 9 times during a season. Wonderful.

jdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

From Gasper

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/ce...RGO/story.html

Quote:
The fact that Ainge was willing to forego Fultz and hand-deliver him to an up-and-coming Philadelphia team, where he could face Boston for a decade, is the most compelling evidence that he simply wasnít sold on Fultz. This deal is akin to Patriots coach Bill Belichick trading Drew Bledsoe to the Buffalo Bills.

The lack of fear about sending Fultz to the 76ers is a clear signal that the Celtics have their doubts about just how much of a difference-maker Fultz will be, despite his gaudy numbers and NBA-suited game.

There is no other sport where one great player can make as much of an impact on winning as basketball. Thatís why there is incongruity in projecting Fultz to be a transcendent NBA player when he couldnít will a college team that was finished to pick sixth in the Pac-12 in the preseason to better than a 9-22 record and an 11th place finish in the conference.

You have to go back to 1972 No. 1 pick and immortal bust LaRue Martin to find a top pick whose college team had such a poor record. Martinís Loyola University of Chicago club went 8-14. Martin is like the Pablo Sandoval of modern NBA No. 1 picks. He lasted four seasons and never averaged more than 7 points per game. Fultz will be eminently better than that, but itís fair to have serious reservations ó as some of us have all along ó about him becoming an NBA alpha male who alters the fate of an organization. Thatís what Ainge is searching for and wants to acquire, either through the draft or via trade.

Old
06-18-2017, 09:59 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I don't get the Pablo Sandoval reference

Sandoval had several very good regular seasons and 3 World Series

Anyways I'm all in on Tatum from my first viewing if Ainge signed Haywood and drafts him I'll be very happy

06-18-2017, 10:02 PM
jdz

Quote:
CJ McCollum is a similar style player who had far more injury red flags than Fultz and went to an even more insignificant college. Turns out he went about 8 picks too late in his draft.

When assessing the individual prowess and talent of players, the quality of team they're on and their opposition should be taken into account a very small fraction, but not nearly as much as how their game looks. CJ McCollum had all the tools to be a superb offensive guard in the NBA, and the individual numbers to prove it, and so does Fultz. If anything Fultz has a bigger toolbox than McCollum did.

jdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 10:16 PM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Drew Bledsoe?

Old
06-18-2017, 10:57 PM
chizzler

I just heard. Is this real? Nothing else but a protected pick?

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:55 PM
ashnathan

Its Monday afternoon and im still ****ing pissed off. Im not buying the BS narrative "Danny isnt scared of Fultz thats why he traded him to the 6ers" what a load of ****. What does Ainge know that seemingly the rest of the country doesnt? Its a horrible trade whichever way you look at it. It should have been AT THE VERY WORST 3rd overall AND an unprotected first next year, if no? Then stiff ****, draft Fultz and at worst have a superstar PG in the making on your team.

If Ainge is all in on Jackson and Lakers draft him I want riots on Causeway. Pick Ball an tell LaVar to beat it.

ashnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 02:59 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I didn't mind the trade. Danny has more balls then 99 percent of GMs in the 4 major sports and has always gone by his own internal clock vs what others tell him. I respect that, and he's proven to be sharp in his trades. Time will tell but right now with a draft like this, I don't mind it at all seeing as there's some really good players after Fultz and Ball.

You know.... I'm really starting to like Jonathan Isaac. If Sacramento is still hot and heavy after Jackson, get the 5th and 10 and select Isaac and Zach Collins, IMO the two best bigs in a top heavy point guard draft.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 03:19 AM
BlackBerry
Rookie User

If Danny isn't sold the #1 will be much better than the #3 this is a no brained. People are just hyped that it's 1st overall.

I personally think Ainge is looking at Lonzo. Lakers pass on him, he's on the phone immediately saying the Lakers didn't want you, let's make them pay. Before hollering, yes I have read all the stuff about Ball not wanting to come to Boston.

Didn't see enough of Fultz to make a real opinion on his game but I see Lonzo as a game changer. We will see what happens if LA passes on him.

BlackBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 07:46 AM
KrejciMVP

At this point take Ball. His shot may look like Amare Stoudamire but he seems to be a good overall player.