2017-18 Celtics/NBA Off-Season - Celtics draft Jayson Tatum with #3 pick

Old
06-19-2017, 08:58 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
You draft Fultz and either Bradley, IT, or Smart has to go, right? So this move let's them continue building for the long term, while maintaining some level of relevance in the meantime. Are they beating the Warriors in a series, unlikely, but having 3 potential top 5 picks in the next 2 drafts, plus last year's #3 and this year's #3 is a pretty solid base to build around.

As mentioned above, that changes if they trade future picks for now, barring a franchise player acquisition. But isolating this move, I don't hate it, especially because it would indicate that they didn't see a huge gap between Fultz and whoever they intend to take.

I'd have liked more draft capital than just the 2 picks, for sure, but this week just got even more interesting.
You do realize the contradiction in your own post, right? You can't have missed that, could you?

If you're building for the future and you can't beat the Cavs/Warriors with what you have, who cares if they go? If you can't compete, why does it matter if they're relevant? If you finish 1st in the conference or if you finish 8th, is there really a difference? The end result is the same, so I'd rather go down and maximize their own picks as well as the ones they've acquired.

Even if they made a move for Chris Paul, Paul George, or Butler, does that really get you over the hump and on par with the Cavs or Warriors? Nope. It doesn't.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:22 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

One last thing. If they turn around and flip a bunch of picks and assets for Anthony Davis, all will be forgiven.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:36 AM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzler View Post
I just heard. Is this real? Nothing else but a protected pick?
It's either pick 2-5 next year or a shot at another #1 the following year.

The sixers and Celtics feel the gap between 1 and 3 isn't massive. O'Connor wrote a good piece in the ringer

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:37 AM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
I don't be the hoodie comparisons. Not even on the same ballpark Imo
"In that respect"

Aka he doesn't give a **** what you think about him because he knows more than you. He doesn't care what you think about his legacy, he's going to do what he feels is best for the team

It's not some grand "**** you" to Celtics fans, just like it wasn't some grand "**** you" to pats fans when Jamie Collins was traded for a 3rd

Fwiw if you gave him lebron you would be talking about him on the same level as Belichick. He'd actually be more impressive because he had a great playing career as an important piece on title winners as well. Instead he only has 1 title and the reputation as the scariest GM to deal with around the league, I'll take it

Last edited by CDJ: 06-19-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old
06-19-2017, 09:40 AM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
"In that respect"

Aka he doesn't give a **** what you think about him because he knows more than you. He doesn't care what you think about his legacy, he's going to do what he feels is best for the team

It's not some grand "**** you" to Celtics fans

Fwiw if you gave him lebron you would be talking about him on the same level as Belichick. He'd actually be more impressive because he had a great playing career as an important piece on title winners as well. Instead he only has 1 title and the reputation of the scariest GM to deal with around the league, I'll take it
I love the anger!

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:43 AM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
I love the anger!
I love that you think it's anger and not matter-of-fact reality

Old
06-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:49 AM
CDJ

that guy is my hero

Old
06-19-2017, 11:52 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
now it's getting weird....

there are now reports Philly doesn't want the 1 pick or Fultz, and is doing what Ainge has done....

there is no chance Paul George is coming here, even before the lottery landed us the 1 pick, but will Gilbert and LBJ land George before he bolts to Faker land..... ever think IT 4 lands in Indiana?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:54 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
I laughed out loud when I saw we traded the #1.

Silly move to me. Celtics trying to outsmart the world. Again.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronFan View Post

Is it a silly move if the guy they want at #1 is still there at #3?

Seidenbergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:24 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronFan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seidenbergy View Post
Is it a silly move if the guy they want at #1 is still there at #3?

This - a million times this.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:35 PM
BruinsFanMike82

BruinsFanMike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Hazi

Hazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 01:02 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

It's incredibly disappointing that the protections are all for Philly, you know, given that the Celtics had the most valuable asset in this deal. You figure that since the Celts were willing to push out the return for this deal by up to two years, they'd have at least gotten a possible #1 overall for doing so, but no. So yeah, really underwhelmed by this. Very disappointed.

Old
06-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
It's incredibly disappointing that the protections are all for Philly, you know, given that the Celtics had the most valuable asset in this deal. You figure that since the Celts were willing to push out the return for this deal by up to two years, they'd have at least gotten a possible #1 overall for doing so, but no. So yeah, really underwhelmed by this. Very disappointed.
The Celtics are also protected against the Lakers improving modestly this year, and both of those drafts project to go at least 2-3 deep at the top.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Am i reading it wrong- if LA isn't between 2 and 5 next year the pick becomes the better of Philly and the Kings the following year (either of which could be a possible #1). No?

I see it now- the following year is #1st overall protected.

Over the volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 01:06 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the volcano View Post
Am i reading it wrong- if LA isn't between 2 and 5 next year the pick becomes the better of Philly and the Kings the following year (either of which could be a possible #1). No?
Yes, you are wrong. Read the small print. *If not #1.

Old
06-19-2017, 01:09 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
The Celtics are also protected against the Lakers improving modestly this year, and both of those drafts project to go at least 2-3 deep at the top.
They get a lottery pick, as long as it falls between 2-5. If it's number one, Philly keeps it and it floats to 219, but that again is protected from number one overall. So they potentially delay their pick for up to two years and can't get anything better than a #2. The deferment for up to two years is worth at least a shot at number one, no? And really, who gives a **** about projections two years from now? Way too much can happen before then. And both of those picks could easily fall out of the top 5, so they could actually get a worse pick.

Old
06-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Seidenbergy

If they get the guy they wanted at #3 instead of having to use #1, they save $ and get a free future lottery pick. The horror.

Seidenbergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 01:20 PM
323 Krejci 7

Really hate this trade....so if the Lakers pick doesn't fall between 2-5 next year it gets pushed to the following year and we would get the better of the Philly or Sacramento pick unless it's a #1.

Worst case scenario which is actually not far-fetched . Lakers pick falls outside 2-5 so we don't get that pick....Sacramento gets number 1 in 2019 so we don't get their pick. Which leaves us with phillys 2019 pick. Philly is much improved in 2019 with all the high end talent and it's a mid to late rounder. Simply not enough return in my opinion

323 Krejci 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 01:21 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seidenbergy View Post
If they get the guy they wanted at #3 instead of having to use #1, they save $ and get a free future lottery pick. The horror.
Has literally nothing to do with that. If you can get more instead of settling for less, why wouldn't you? If you believe the rumors, the Lakers were interested in moving up to 1 for Fultz. Why not leverage that and get those protections removed? That way you get the 3 and "the guy you really want" (if that's even true), and you get another chance to be in the same position the following year. Better, no?

As it stands now, if you're Ainge, you better actually like two players and not just one, since LA can deal out of the two hole and you could lose the much discussed "guy they really want".

And who cares if they save money? Are you Wyc or something?

Old
06-19-2017, 01:23 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323 Krejci 7 View Post
Really hate this trade....so if the Lakers pick doesn't fall between 2-5 next year it gets pushed to the following year and we would get the better of the Philly or Sacramento pick unless it's a #1.

Worst case scenario which is actually not far-fetched . Lakers pick falls outside 2-5 so we don't get that pick....Sacramento gets number 1 in 2019 so we don't get their pick. Which leaves us with phillys 2019 pick. Philly is much improved in 2019 with all the high end talent and it's a mid to late rounder. Simply not enough return in my opinion
This is exactly right. Philly is adding Fultz and they're finally going to get Simmons on the floor. They're essentially adding two impact players to their roster, since Simmons was out all last season. They should get better by a fair margin.

Old
06-19-2017, 01:29 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

I don't like it with all the protections; seems like a lot of chances for us to be screwed.

Would have rather they drafted Fultz and signed Hayward or Griffin. Basically adding two stars to a roster that made the conference finals.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 01:34 PM
N o o d l e s

That said Philly is based strictly off potential alone. 31 games played in the NBA between Embiid, Simmons and Fultz. We'll see

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote