HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GameNight Thread: Carolina Hurricanes vs. SJ Sharks - Oct. 28, 2003

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Boy guys, that sure was a sloppy one. Both sides seemed to get a little chippy towards the end. Carolina and San Jose both seemed to roll over there at the end though. That was heartless hockey by both sides if you ask me.

Anyways, the line of Staal-Vasicek-O'Neill pretty much did all the damage against you guys tonight. The other lines were pretty non-descript and without them we may be looking at a 0-0 tie. You also ran into a hot weekes.

Oh well, see you next season.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Friesenh2o

THIS TEAM IS A JOKE! PERIOD. No more Season Tix for me next year! Thats for damn sure!

Old
10-28-2003, 06:34 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesenh2o
THIS TEAM IS A JOKE! PERIOD. No more Season Tix for me next year! Thats for damn sure!
Just spend the money on Lacrosse instead... I'm sure SVSE doesn't really care where they get their money. At least with Lacrosse you'll get to watch a hard fought battle every night.

Amazing how that works -- guys don't earn enough solely from Lacrosse to earn a living, so they also have day jobs, eh? Guess they know something about giving an honest effort.

OK, I think that's all the ripping i'll do tonight.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:44 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Man am I glad I had hockey tonight. I only saw the first half of this game.

JESUS CHRIST THOUGH 1-5-3 ....With a loss to the Hurricanes, THE HURRICANES lol.

Alexander Ovechkin is going to look good in teal if this keeps up.

Ugly game.

BTW Friesen, You got to get season tickets next year! You gotta be there for your team bud, Plus think of a kid up in WISCONSIN stuck watching them once a year live, and having to settle on Center ice, At least i got center ice huh? I would do alot to be able to get season tickets to sharks games. Mabey when i'm 25 you guys well see me at the games. Or playing in them? haha.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:58 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Mabey when i'm 25 you guys well see me at the games. Or playing in them? haha.
Source TSS/RDN
Canadiens Dumbfounded

Mere hours after drafting US-born goaltender Max Giese in the 8th round, Bob Gainey received a call from Giese's agent who stated that Max will only consider playing for the Portland Sharks. In an official statement, Giese said, "(*%$(*&^ Monrteal... ($*%($% Canada... I want to be a Shark, and I won't sign any contract with the $#(%*$(%)$ Canadiens!"

The Portland Sharks five-headed-GM-Monster named HF-Council would not comment on the matter, stating that they had to work on scouting the 2011 draft class.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:08 PM
X-SHARKIE

I have talked with Dale Grier, Scout of the Greanbay gamblers, I'm trying out for them next year, Just a TRY OUT but it's a start! Plus I have had Mark Johnson, Badger coach, at two of my 4 starts in Varsity last year. I did well in those games, I could make it to the USHL some day hopefully, but by no means does that garuntee success, I'm ging to take the college route and just hope for the best. I might try the UHL.
I'm chasing the dream as long as that little window is there! But please folks dont make it seem like I think i'm going to make it. Just trying my best.

Also I would never turn down a team for drafting me, If the Canadiens did I would run up to who ever said, lets take this Giese kid, and mabey xoxoox him lhahahhahaha

Old
10-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Baron Von Shark

LOL, good one Mage. Max, I take it you are trying to get a NCAA Div.1 Scholarship, huh? (That's why you said 25, and not 18?) You still trying out for the USHL?

Old
10-28-2003, 07:12 PM
X-SHARKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Shark
LOL, good one Mage. Max, I take it you are trying to get a NCAA Div.1 Scholarship, huh? (That's why you said 25, and not 18?) You still trying out for the USHL?
If theres nothing with hockey, I'll take a electricions job. Then come to San Jose. I want to move there! I want to see a game in the Tank baby.

Also ..... I'm pretty dissapointed with the team so far. I mean yes we look better then last year. But it's pretty sad when i'm already looking at Robbi Schremp, Olesz, Barker as possible Shark draftees in 2004.

WE NEED A HOT STREAK.

everybody wear pink and brown on thursday!! RALLY RALLY

Old
10-28-2003, 07:19 PM
mage23

Quote:
I thought the 4th jerseys weren't being announced until later in the year

Old
10-28-2003, 07:25 PM
X-SHARKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
I thought the 4th jerseys weren't being announced until later in the year
lol. Those jerseys would be as ugly as we were in tonights game.

ZINGG!!! HIYOOOOOOOOOO

anywho. Is this season lost? I'm disgusted with this record. 1-5-3??? AHHH!!!
If this continues, are Thorton,Damphouse,Ricci in danger of being moved?

I think it's time to see what Boyes can do, Goc mabey as well.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:32 PM
mage23

Quote:
anywho. Is this season lost? I'm disgusted with this record. 1-5-3??? AHHH!!!
If this continues, are Thorton,Damphouse,Ricci in danger of being moved?
One would assume, with a start like this, everyone is in danger of being moved -- and it's only "in danger" if you assume that they want to stay here. I wouldn't be surprised to see the sharks peddle anyone over 25 at the deadline if they're playing like they are now.

Speaking of which, Crazed and I were talking the other night. What does everyone think it'd take to pry Gaborik out of Minnesota. No, they haven't talked at all about dealing him (like has become public in the Comrie/EDM saga), but what about a package of Nabokov and someone for Gaborik. Now, everyone is going to say that the Wild are set in net -- but Roloson isn't going to be playing much longer, would Nabokov even tempt them?

I hate to think of dealing him because of all the german prospects, but if Nabokov+Sturm were to get it done... how many would make that deal? What about Nabokov+Marleau?

On a completely unrelated note, it was nice to see Thornton playing like a nasty SOB again tonight.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Thanks to grunts for startin the thread...I worked early (4 am) and when I got home I had to get the new Tony Hawk...needless to say that has taken much of my time today. Sharks thoroughly thrashed by the 'Canes? No SNOG awarded tonight since someone shoulda predicted a shutout by the mighty Weekes.

10-28-2003, 08:45 PM
Baron Von Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Thanks to grunts for startin the thread...I worked early (4 am) and when I got home I had to get the new Tony Hawk...needless to say that has taken much of my time today. Sharks thoroughly thrashed by the 'Canes? No SNOG awarded tonight since someone shoulda predicted a shutout by the mighty Weekes.
You are so fired.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Figures. I predict the Canes' score exactly, and make one little mistake and no SNOG for me.

SJ has to be looking at Malkin, right now. Ovechkin is a bit of a stretch. You're assuming that after the lottery, SJ will have #1 overall. It's safer to assume that with a last place record (which is still obviously quite debatable with only 1/8 of the season gone), you'll get 2nd Overall, which is an amazing pick.

Think of Ovechkin like Gordie Howe...greatness extended over a long period of time.
Malkin is more like Cam Neely. Greatness over a shorter time period.

This based on styles of play and body types.

~Crazed.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Baron Von Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycrazed07
Figures. I predict the Canes' score exactly, and make one little mistake and no SNOG for me.

SJ has to be looking at Malkin, right now. Ovechkin is a bit of a stretch. You're assuming that after the lottery, SJ will have #1 overall. It's safer to assume that with a last place record (which is still obviously quite debatable with only 1/8 of the season gone), you'll get 2nd Overall, which is an amazing pick.

Think of Ovechkin like Gordie Howe...greatness extended over a long period of time.
Malkin is more like Cam Neely. Greatness over a shorter time period.

This based on styles of play and body types.

~Crazed.
You're kidding me right? You are comparing Malkin to Cam Neely, arguably the greatest power forward ever? (I actually have no idea who Malkin is. If you could give a rundown, I'd appreciate. I'm just so excited to hear that the NHL could have such a great PF in the making).

Old
10-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Personally, I'd say Howe was the greatest power forward in the game. He had the PF mentality, and took it to an unheard of (for PF's) 20 year career.

Malkin is growing the power side of his game, but he has the moves of a power forward. He's still rather slight of frame (about 180, now), which is part of the reason I don't think he'll play for more than 10 years or so. He's beginning to show a nasty side, which is great to see. He's about 6'3" or so, and looks like he'll grow into it, a la Rick Nash.

Malkin is a centre in the RSL, but could move to wing in the NHL. By most scouts, he's the #2 of this draft, and, with Ovechkin there, it's as good as being #1 in many other drafts. A very complete player, overall. (Obviously, I like completeness.)

~Crazed.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Hockeycrazed07

For the record, Ovechkin is just that amazing. I won't let myself think that SJ could get him, because if it did, it would just be the most amazing thing SJ could ever have done. You won't see anyone trading down from #1 this year. It just won't happen, and if it did, some team would be sorry forever. In an amazing top end draft, Ovechkin is head and shoulders above the others.

~Crazed.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:13 AM
X-SHARKIE

I've seen Schremp play 3 times now, If it wasnt for his , him first team 2nd attitude, I would say Sharks need this guy, He's speacial as well.
Truth be told I either want to be in the playoffs THIS YEAR! or be a team who can lock up one of the top 3-5 next season.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:44 AM
Los Tiburones

I would trade just about anybody for Gaborik, including Marleau.
I don't think that Minnesota would want Nabby. They have two good goalies, they are going to want defensemen and forwards. With that in mind if we could get Gaborik for Sturm, Hannan, and a non-first round pick I'd do it.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:45 AM
Los Tiburones

You guys are starting to sound like me...
I know I was the one who got scolded for the thread that stated it might be best for the Sharks to lose this year.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:33 AM
Kevin Wey

Gaborik: Oh man, it'd be awesome if San Jose could get Gaborik, but offering Marleau...Minnesota would want some real players. Alexandre Daigle is doing way better than Marleau this year...sigh.

While watching Joe Thornton mature into one of the NHL's future superstars, I can't help but feel that Marleau is a failure, considering the expectations. How many years in a row do fans, or Marleau's teammates, have to hear about how the youngsters need to step it up? Maybe if Marleau had somebody like Gaborik to work with he'd put up points, but he can't really create them himself? San Jose would probably have to trade their first round pick this year, among other things, to get Gaborik.

Maybe it is time for San Jose to really consider Mike Comrie. Considering Edmonton's salary stipulations, I wonder if they'd accept Marleau and Fahey for Comrie, Alexei Semenov, and possibly Jani Rita. When acquiring holdouts, I think San Jose might be able to extract Rita.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:58 AM
rekrul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
Gaborik: Oh man, it'd be awesome if San Jose could get Gaborik, but offering Marleau...Minnesota would want some real players. Alexandre Daigle is doing way better than Marleau this year...sigh.

While watching Joe Thornton mature into one of the NHL's future superstars, I can't help but feel that Marleau is a failure, considering the expectations. How many years in a row do fans, or Marleau's teammates, have to hear about how the youngsters need to step it up? Maybe if Marleau had somebody like Gaborik to work with he'd put up points, but he can't really create them himself? San Jose would probably have to trade their first round pick this year, among other things, to get Gaborik.

Maybe it is time for San Jose to really consider Mike Comrie. Considering Edmonton's salary stipulations, I wonder if they'd accept Marleau and Fahey for Comrie, Alexei Semenov, and possibly Jani Rita. When acquiring holdouts, I think San Jose might be able to extract Rita.

It sort of came to me today that the sharks have never had a really solid propect pan out, ethier they are mentally unable to rise to the challenge of getting the most out of their skills, Rathje, Marleau Zuyzin. Or they are injury prone like Stuart. ( michalek getting hurt already looks bad doesn't it ).

Then you wonder why we continue to see the sharks suck but not suck enough to get a great player in that high pick slot.
Fat Pallon was the poster child the classic shark 2nd overall talent drop off. We followed that with Ratje right after Yashin, Kozlov right after Pronger and Kayria. Marleau after thorton ( i consider Zuyzin after phillips a wash ).

I remember when Ovechkin was the 15 Yr old whiz and said the sharks were his favorite team, one can only wonder if for once we come up with a real player for a change.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:21 AM
IronMosher

Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
[QUOTE=Baron Von Shark]This team is pathetic. I don't know how anyone in their right mind can defend this piece of garbage we have.

AMEN.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:27 AM
IronMosher

Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
Quote:
If theres nothing with hockey, I'll take a electricions job. Then come to San Jose. I want to move there! I want to see a game in the Tank baby.

Also ..... I'm pretty dissapointed with the team so far. I mean yes we look better then last year. But it's pretty sad when i'm already looking at Robbi Schremp, Olesz, Barker as possible Shark draftees in 2004.

WE NEED A HOT STREAK.

I'd rather die than wear pink and brown. Max, start taking yoga classes so you cann bend yourself like the Dominator.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:03 AM
gruntsplatter

The more I think about the game... look at where the passion was coming from, who in the world would have expected Cheech and Primeau to get game misconducts for fighting, those are the guys who have been playing with passion all year, and again they stepped up and did things (wise or unwise) to get some blood flowing. Smith drops em, he's another player that hasn't slept out there this year. Parker is Parker, but he plays like he means it within his skill range, and again has really tried to do that, and Thornton, who has been slowly picking it up and showing some of his toughness again the last 3-4 games was the other one.

The guys who have been showing the heart boiled over. What does that say to McLaren when Cheech is willing to take some punches from a guy clearly more accustomed to fighting then Cheech is, it should say "I'm not giving up and you sob's better not give up either."

It's difficult to gauge what's in their heads, but I'm hoping that this was a message to their teammates much more than it was to Carolina who they really have no heat with or anything to prove. When these are the guys getting dirty and Korky is a scratch, Marleau is a non factor it almost says to me that the team itself is saying these are the heart guys, these are where the strengths lie not where Management is telling the fans it lies. It's almost saying we still want to be a Sutter type team even though you got Wilson guiding us. Talk about speed all you want, but if those guys aren't going to do it than we're gonna grit our teeth and do what we can do.

All of that said, yes the game was an undisciplined mess after the Thornton penlaties and Cheech fight (same play for those that missed it) But it's better to throw away the two points to say something against an Eastern Conference team at the start of a road trip than against Division rivals. There was talk of maybe having a rookie dinner on this trip with everyone, when they are all sitting at the table and Rathje and McLaren and Marleau have to look across the table at Smith and Cheech knowing in their guts those two guys are giving everything while they are playing with no spirit, you hope that sinks in.

The season isn't ten games old yet, and perhaps naively, but I still see some potential here. I'm not prepared to call this season a bust yet, yes it's been a monstrous disappointment thus far, but I certainly don't think all is lost. If this entire roadtrip is a stinkfest then I will start to worry about the long term effects, but there are teams coming up that we should be able to beat, we have yet to beat anyone we should be able to beat, but that game last night was such an abberation that I haved to think it was an effort from those who care to those who don't to get their ***** together. It's just a matter of whether or not they actually do it.

Closed Thread