HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sykora overlooked?

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2006, 12:00 PM
BLACKBURN

vCash: 500
Sykora overlooked?

7 goals in his last 8.

What do you guys feel about his play as of late?

Old
03-28-2006, 12:05 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

He and Straka work good together. Ive been happy with them put together.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
7 goals in his last 8.

Playing well, a very good aquisition by Sather..A little surprised at his all around game..Gotta find him another W/C to play with....He;ll be back next year to play with Jagr and Straka (I'm betting Rucchin and Rucinsky are gone)

Old
03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I think he's been great since the Rangers acquired him. Especially with the injury to Prucha and now Rucinksy, they really need his secondary scoring. Plus the guy has a rocket for a shot and isn't afraid to let it rip on the power play (whereas it seems like everyone else would rather pass). You can't score if you don't shoot! And he hasn't played as much this season as the other Rangers so he'll be a little bit fresher come playoff time.

Edit: Almost forgot: he's been a great fit with the other Rangers players as well. Didn't he say Marty Straka is his idol? And Sykora's got a ton of playoff experience and has been to the Cup finals three times!

Old
03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
HF_Rangers

15 goals, 29 points in 30 games... I'd say Sykora's been a TERRIFIC pickup!

Old
03-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Bretzky*

sykora = mini jagr

Old
03-28-2006, 12:31 PM
eco's bones

I always liked him as a player. I think he might have lost his motivation with Anaheim. He wanted to come here and he's acting like it. Great skater. Great hands. Of our own UFA's he'd be Numero Uno on my list of guys to bring back.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:42 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
If we didn't have Prucha, he'd be our Prucha... I love him, so good. I wanted him on the top line for a while, and still kinda do. He's been overlooked because he was the second line RW for so long and Jagr would take looooong shifts. He'd still put up points, but he wouldn't have as much ice time, so that could be one reason.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:46 PM
pld459666

as has

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Rangers
15 goals, 29 points in 30 games... I'd say Sykora's been a TERRIFIC pickup!
Ozolinsh in terms of point production which is why he was brought in.

11 points in 10 games is the reason he was traded for. Now it's a matter of being a bit more cautious when he's out on the ice while still trying to take advantage of his skill set.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Fletch

He's scoring...

he has quick hands and a nice shot and has kept this team in during shootouts. My one criticism of him and his line is their forecheck is weak. If the line doesn't score, it's not noticeable what else they're doing out there. And a lack of forecheck means pressure on the defensemen, whic accumlates throughout the course of the game. Of course since the Olympics this has been an issue with all lines, to be fair.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:00 PM
djjagr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
If we didn't have Prucha, he'd be our Prucha... I love him, so good. I wanted him on the top line for a while, and still kinda do. He's been overlooked because he was the second line RW for so long and Jagr would take looooong shifts. He'd still put up points, but he wouldn't have as much ice time, so that could be one reason.
Didn't renney switch him with prucha in the third last night moving him to top line ?

Old
03-28-2006, 01:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
he has quick hands and a nice shot and has kept this team in during shootouts. My one criticism of him and his line is their forecheck is weak. If the line doesn't score, it's not noticeable what else they're doing out there. And a lack of forecheck means pressure on the defensemen, whic accumlates throughout the course of the game. Of course since the Olympics this has been an issue with all lines, to be fair.
Sykora did not go to the olympics cause he wanted to focus on the Rangers. Great Attitude if u ask me.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I think I once described Sykora as a better Jan Hlavac. I would say he's light-years ahead of Jan Hlavac.

I love how enthuiastic he was when he scored on the shootout, too. I think he likes it here.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Nich

nhl.com has him as the first star from last night. how does jagr not get on the list though, i have no idea.

and sam and jd mentioned that he wants a new contract with new york, and really likes it here.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:44 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Ozolinsh in terms of point production which is why he was brought in.

11 points in 10 games is the reason he was traded for. Now it's a matter of being a bit more cautious when he's out on the ice while still trying to take advantage of his skill set.
I'm inclined to agree although since the trade I've missed several games mostly because of blackouts. Somewhere on another thread someone stated that Jagr is really the one still running the pwp and I agree with that but Ozo has given us a lot better puck movement on it and he has a more dangerous shot in terms of placement and velocity. Basically he's doing the things that once upon a time we made a York-Poti trade for.

As for defending in his own end he is an adventure.

Last edited by eco's bones: 03-28-2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: add a line.
Old
03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
robertch

Sykora has been a great pickup for all the reasons he was expected to be (Czech connection, scoring touch, etc). What I especially like about him from a personel point of view, is that he's only 29. Definitely worth a contract renewal at that age as the next few years could likely be the prime of his career.

Sykora rocks.

Old
03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
7 goals in his last 8.

He's been a great pick up, money in the bank lately. Has been great since basically the time we aqcuired him. Had a little lul for a short period of time, but he is ON FIRE now.

Old
03-28-2006, 03:08 PM
polako

his shootout goals are magical

Old
03-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I'm inclined to agree although since the trade I've missed several games mostly because of blackouts. Somewhere on another thread someone stated that Jagr is really the one still running the pwp and I agree with that but Ozo has given us a lot better puck movement on it and he has a more dangerous shot in terms of placement and velocity. Basically he's doing the things that once upon a time we made a York-Poti trade for.

As for defending in his own end he is an adventure.
ozo has certainly produced numbers but as you said, his defense has been extremely suspect. i was pretty annoyed we traded for him and im still not thrilled with his play, only because his defense is so bad, and pairing him with poti is such a disaster

if he and poti were split up i think ozo would not look as vulnerable with a steady stay at home d-man to back him up, but him and poti are both like to wander around and dont necessarily think defense first if at all and i hope this pair isnt exposed in the post season, because if i was a coach for an oppossing team i would exclusively play my top offensive unit when that apir is on the ice and i would make sure that i hit them as much as possible to create turnovers

Old
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
JerseyRangers

I've loved the idea of adding Sykora to this team since it was first proposed. He's done everything I expected him to do. As I said months ago Anaheim was certainly the wrong place for him. Good to see him in NY and hopefully Sather doesn't waste any time in resigning him.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:21 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I always liked him as a player. I think he might have lost his motivation with Anaheim. He wanted to come here and he's acting like it. Great skater. Great hands. Of our own UFA's he'd be Numero Uno on my list of guys to bring back.
Good points, plus he is a very big weapon in shoutouts.

Old
03-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Pizza

Sykora has totally elevated since he came to the Garden. Basically we have three players who are scoring goals consistantly, and Petr is one of them. He's been a great addition by any measure.

Old
03-28-2006, 05:32 PM
The Mailman*

hes been one of my favorite players for years. sad to see him and selanne split up, but glad that its with jagr/straka now. so im happy.

Old
03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
DontStaal

i love the guy, he's quickly risen to the top as one of my fav rangers this year. I hope he gets a chance to play with Jags, i think it'll work magic for us

Old
03-28-2006, 06:13 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako
his shootout goals are magical
they're also all exactly the same..LOL, but they are NICE!

Closed Thread