HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXIII -- Summer Free Agency 2017

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2017, 02:43 PM
  #101
Serial_Derecho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WV
Country: United States
Posts: 191
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Serial_Derecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
What happened to January?

Serial_Derecho is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 02:45 PM
  #102
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,201
vCash: 500
Because if there's one thing Caps management is known for, it's "we like our guys".....lol.

I wouldn't be surprised at all...sadly.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 02:46 PM
  #103
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by serial_derecho View Post
what happened to january?

hockeykicker is online now  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:08 PM
  #104
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Sunday, February 4th game against Vegas looks like it would be the Super Bowl Sunday Matinee.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:08 PM
  #105
ovikovy817
Registered User
 
ovikovy817's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Belgium
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,158
vCash: 50
So, Djoos will make the team next year.

edit: oh, I thought it was 1.3 AAV, sorry. So no, he won't.

ovikovy817 is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:15 PM
  #106
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovikovy817 View Post
So, Djoos will make the team next year.
This is where it would be cool if someone pinged him on social media (if he's on it)and said, psst buddy, you might want to start adding 15 lbs Of muscle and come into camp in the best shape of your life if you're serious about being an NHL'er. Maybe see if you can latch on and train with some NHL pros this summer? Could be his golden ticket year. At worst Bowey beats him out and he should get callup duty. Year 2 is one way.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:25 PM
  #107
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalscupfantasy View Post
this is where it would be cool if someone pinged him on social media (if he's on it)and said, psst buddy, you might want to start adding 15 lbs of muscle and come into camp in the best shape of your life if you're serious about being an nhl'er. maybe see if you can latch on and train with some nhl pros this summer? Could be his golden ticket year. At worst bowey beats him out and he should get callup duty. Year 2 is one way.

hockeykicker is online now  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:25 PM
  #108
Jags
Mildly Disturbed
 
Jags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kent Island, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
This organization does not have "it". They have the playoff yips. They need performance psychologists more than some magic TDL move.
"It." Heart, grit, soul, intangibles, spirit, passion...

Those things are certainly meaningful, but that's not the issue here. The Pens core is just better than ours. More consistent, more dynamic, more dangerous, less predictable, more multi-dimensional.

Not by a mile, mind you. Our core is pretty great. But theirs is better. Clearly, inarguably better overall.

It's not the playoff yips. It's an inability to overcome a fundamentally better team. Our team could be deeper, we might have a slight edge here or there, healthier, whatever. But the Pens core is better, and those are the guys that drive their success, then that success snowballs and opens things up for more of their guys to be successful.

We're talking about 3 or 4 locks for the Hall of Fame, a couple justifiably in the "best ever" discussion, that have been playing together for a long time. Give those guys solid goaltending and an otherwise evenly-talented roster, and they win Cups.

Our key guys are similar, but far less consistent, and are more specialists than all-around, dominant, unstoppable forces of nature. Crosby/Malkin are among the best 1-2 punches in the history of the game, and certainly in the cap era.

Unless a shrink can do a full shutdown shadow of two of the best centers ever, I don't think that's the solution...

Jags is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:27 PM
  #109
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Funny, timely.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:28 PM
  #110
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
With his frame, Djoos is never going to be the strongest player out there. I think he needs to be more explosive in everything he does if he wants to stick in the NHL as an undersized defenseman. He needs to be beating the opposition to loose pucks, not battling for them.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:32 PM
  #111
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
"It." Heart, grit, soul, intangibles, spirit, passion...

Those things are certainly meaningful, but that's not the issue here. The Pens core is just better than ours. More consistent, more dynamic, more dangerous, less predictable, more multi-dimensional.

Not by a mile, mind you. Our core is pretty great. But theirs is better. Clearly, inarguably better overall.

It's not the playoff yips. It's an inability to overcome a fundamentally better team. Our team could be deeper, we might have a slight edge here or there, healthier, whatever. But the Pens core is better, and those are the guys that drive their success, then that success snowballs and opens things up for more of their guys to be successful.

We're talking about 3 or 4 locks for the Hall of Fame, a couple justifiably in the "best ever" discussion, that have been playing together for a long time. Give those guys solid goaltending and an otherwise evenly-talented roster, and they win Cups.

Our key guys are similar, but far less consistent, and are more specialists than all-around, dominant, unstoppable forces of nature. Crosby/Malkin are among the best 1-2 punches in the history of the game, and certainly in the cap era.

Unless a shrink can do a full shutdown shadow of two of the best centers ever, I don't think that's the solution...
Oh it's certainly part of the issue. You can see this team go into vapor lock it's so obvious. Mentally fragile would be generous. And yeah having 2 generational talents is a blessing for the Pens.

Caps definitely need some heavy lifting by a sport psychologist.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:38 PM
  #112
Revelation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Schlemko could actually have been a replacement for Schmidt that worked... one of the most underrated D out there. Guess 2019 5th is too much when you have as many potential future #7s as we do

Revelation is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:46 PM
  #113
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Schlemko could actually have been a replacement for Schmidt that worked... one of the most underrated D out there. Guess 2019 5th is too much when you have as many potential future #7s as we do
seems like djoos already puts up better stats

hockeykicker is online now  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:46 PM
  #114
Brian23
Registered User
 
Brian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
With his frame, Djoos is never going to be the strongest player out there. I think he needs to be more explosive in everything he does if he wants to stick in the NHL as an undersized defenseman. He needs to be beating the opposition to loose pucks, not battling for them.
I mean...he's listed at 6 foot and 160 pounds. I actually think he looks a little taller then that and think he could easily fill out to just around the 200lb mark.

Not sure why we keep calling him undersized he's the same size as Orlov and Schmidt.

Brian23 is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:47 PM
  #115
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
seems like djoos already puts up better stats
Not sure if serious

Hivemind is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:54 PM
  #116
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
Not sure if serious
no im not

hockeykicker is online now  
Old
06-22-2017, 03:59 PM
  #117
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I mean...he's listed at 6 foot and 160 pounds. I actually think he looks a little taller then that and think he could easily fill out to just around the 200lb mark.

Not sure why we keep calling him undersized he's the same size as Orlov and Schmidt.
Height and frame aren't the same thing. It's not like we're talking about a kid playing in juniors here being able to suddenly put on 20 lbs of muscle (let alone 40 as you're suggesting). He's already 22 and has two North American seasons on his belt after three full seasons in the top Swedish league. Can he add a little weight/strength? Probably. Can he add enough to where he's going to be considered "strong" by NHL standards? Doubtful.

I don't say this to throw him under the bus. I believe undersized defensive can be successful in the NHL. But in order to do so they need to be highly mobile (Spurgeon, Ellis), terrific offensively (Vatanen, DeAngelo, Klingberg), or good positional defensemen who can block shots and maintain their ground (Russell). And that third category is pretty questionable beyond a limited role. If Djoos can utilize his hockey sense and mobility to fit into the first or second category at the NHL level, terrific. But I'm not sure if his skating or shot are up to that level.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 04:01 PM
  #118
Jags
Mildly Disturbed
 
Jags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kent Island, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Schlemko could actually have been a replacement for Schmidt that worked... one of the most underrated D out there. Guess 2019 5th is too much when you have as many potential future #7s as we do
Agreed, though there's that question of whether McPhee hates us now, so we may not have had a shot. It's never as simple as, "If we had offered the same, we would have gotten him."

Jags is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 04:02 PM
  #119
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
Agreed, though there's that question of whether McPhee hates us now, so we may not have had a shot. It's never as simple as, "If we had offered the same, we would have gotten him."
yea dont see why mcphee would like us

hockeykicker is online now  
Old
06-22-2017, 04:06 PM
  #120
Revelation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
Agreed, though there's that question of whether McPhee hates us now, so we may not have had a shot. It's never as simple as, "If we had offered the same, we would have gotten him."
Yeah, I guess at this point it's pretty obvious that he does. He took buyout/waver tier players (Engelland, Bellemare, Sbisa, Pulkkinen, Emelin, Reinhart) from half the teams without even any compensation incentive but wouldn't do the same for us.

Revelation is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 04:10 PM
  #121
Brian23
Registered User
 
Brian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
Height and frame aren't the same thing. It's not like we're talking about a kid playing in juniors here being able to suddenly put on 20 lbs of muscle (let alone 40 as you're suggesting). He's already 22 and has two North American seasons on his belt after three full seasons in the top Swedish league. Can he add a little weight/strength? Probably. Can he add enough to where he's going to be considered "strong" by NHL standards? Doubtful.

I don't say this to throw him under the bus. I believe undersized defensive can be successful in the NHL. But in order to do so they need to be highly mobile (Spurgeon, Ellis), terrific offensively (Vatanen, DeAngelo, Klingberg), or good positional defensemen who can block shots and maintain their ground (Russell). And that third category is pretty questionable beyond a limited role. If Djoos can utilize his hockey sense and mobility to fit into the first or second category at the NHL level, terrific. But I'm not sure if his skating or shot are up to that level.
I mean he's 22. Djoos can still put on 20 pounds, I don't doubt that (that's also going with that Wikipedia is up to date). It can take time, but if a coaching staff gets behind him to do it I just don't think anything can stop him but himself. It's not like I expect him to ever be 225 but I just don't believe that he can't.

Brian23 is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 04:15 PM
  #122
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
He's been a pro for five years now, with the types of training staffs associated with being a pro. He's also been around the Capitals development staff before and during his time in Hershey. It's not like he's just now getting exposed to how to build strength via training.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 04:33 PM
  #123
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22,512
vCash: 500
hockeykicker is online now  
Old
06-22-2017, 04:52 PM
  #124
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Suter for Ovechkin.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
06-22-2017, 06:51 PM
  #125
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22,512
vCash: 500

hockeykicker is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.