HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glenn Healy:" Mark Messier should be the next...

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2006, 08:55 PM
HAPPY HOUR

vCash: 500
Glenn Healy:" Mark Messier should be the next...

coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs." Saying Messier is the "leagues greatest leader,"and nobody knows more about hockey than Mark."This was said on TSN between periods of the Leaf/Flyer game. I am beginning to think that Messier is going to throw his hat in the ring in some capacity next year. I am kind of hoping that there is some kind of spot for him next year with the Rangers. As of now other than perhaps as an Asst. in Hartford,I don't see an immediate future with the Rangers org. Any ideas.??

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 03-28-2006 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
03-28-2006, 08:58 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I really want to see him in the Ranger organization somewhere. If Renney and the Rangers faltered this season instead of doing so well, we could have seen Messier come onboard next season or the season following. Where he could fit in now? Maybe assistant coach?

Old
03-28-2006, 09:04 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
I don't know how good he'd be with the youngsters therefore I don't know if I'd want him as a coach. I heard that when he was playing his last few years here one of the rare Rangers rookies was asked how great it was to be with a great like Mark and the guy responded something to the effect of "I wouldn't know". Didn't really give them the time of day I guess. Sure as an assistant coach he'd be in a different situation, but old habits dies hard. I could be wrong about him though.

Old
03-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
I don't know how good he'd be with the youngsters therefore I don't know if I'd want him as a coach. I heard that when he was playing his last few years here one of the rare Rangers rookies was asked how great it was to be with a great like Mark and the guy responded something to the effect of "I wouldn't know". Didn't really give them the time of day I guess. Sure as an assistant coach he'd be in a different situation, but old habits dies hard. I could be wrong about him though.
i dont know about that because when mess was on a line with lundmark and was it malhotra i think, not 100% sure they both loved playing with mark and commented on how helpful he was

i remember when garth murray was here how great he said it was to be playing with mark messier and how mark talked to him before the game giving him advice and telling him to just play his game, ie throwing hits, and that it would work out for him

im sorry but ive never heard any kid ever say anything bad about mess, now do i think it was time for him to retire, heck yeah, but i doubt he was unprofessional to anyone

we all heard the darren langdon story when mess had his jersey retired

Old
03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Hard to imagine Messier playing second fiddle to Renney as a bench boss. Will Messier be a developer of young talent?? Will Sather have an itchy trigger finger the first at slump next season? I don't know but right now I see more negatives with bringing in Messier to the Rangers than positives. I really like this coaching staff.

Old
03-28-2006, 09:25 PM
TheRedressor

The only option that I see for Messier to join the organization is if Sather steps down from GM and gives it to Maloney. Then Mark could become assistant GM. Then it would be

President-Glen Sather
General Manager-Don Maloney
Assistant General Manager-Mark Messier
Head Coach-Tom Renney
Assistant Coach- Peary Pearn
Assistant Coach- Mike Pelino

Old
03-28-2006, 09:26 PM
romba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
i dont know about that because when mess was on a line with lundmark and was it malhotra i think, not 100% sure they both loved playing with mark and commented on how helpful he was

i remember when garth murray was here how great he said it was to be playing with mark messier and how mark talked to him before the game giving him advice and telling him to just play his game, ie throwing hits, and that it would work out for him

im sorry but ive never heard any kid ever say anything bad about mess, now do i think it was time for him to retire, heck yeah, but i doubt he was unprofessional to anyone

we all heard the darren langdon story when mess had his jersey retired
Thats entirely possible. Like I said, I could be wrong, and it seems am most probably. In a good way so it's all good.

Old
03-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Yizee*

Messier is gone can we stop talking about him already? he destroyed our team for like 4 years and finally he leaves and we can finally make the playoffs - he has a dying dana reeve come sing at his retirement thing... he is evil we dont want him anywhere

Old
03-29-2006, 03:41 PM
DimaNYR

Old
03-29-2006, 04:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee
Messier is gone can we stop talking about him already? he destroyed our team for like 4 years and finally he leaves and we can finally make the playoffs - he has a dying dana reeve come sing at his retirement thing... he is evil we dont want him anywhere
dude that is not cool.

Old
03-29-2006, 04:22 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
You guys have to remember that being an amazing player in no way guarantees you to be an amazing coach. Actually, the best players are usually the worst coaches. This is true for a lot of sports, in recent memory think about Trottier. Great player, fired like half way through his first year...probably wasn't all his fault but still, he got fired. I don't really think Gretzky is going to go down as a great coach either. The reason for this, IMO is that the best players have a hard time relating to a struggling player. If a player struggles at something Messier always could naturally do, then he may not be able to help in the way a coach should. The same can be said for teachers. Teachers who are insanely intelligent are rarely good teachers because a lot of the time they don't understand how students don't inherantly grasp what is being taught, and then get frustrated, skip steps etc., etc. Once again, I say this is usually the case, not always because I'm sure there have been some great players and coaches.

Old
03-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
You just lost all cred on this board.

AND WE KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE!

Old
03-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Nich

yes....glenn is a idiot...that's my idea...

Old
03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Nich

Quote:

you offically have 0 credability.

oh and i say that healy is a idiot, because mess needs coaching experience. and i say that just because he wants to win so much, that i think it could hinder his coaching abilities through a thought team streak.

Old
03-29-2006, 05:00 PM
SML

I think both Mark Messier and the Rangers organ-i-zation would be better served if Messier went elsewhere. His presence is too big here. It is both a great blessing and a terrible curse. The Rangers are a much beeter team this year because they are a team, not one man. If Mess wants to coach, he should have to start at the bottom, just like every career coach did. Yes, he's done alot and had a career surpassed by very, very few, but it doesn't mean he can coach. Can you guys really picture Mess as an assistant in Hartford or Charlotte? Not me. He's big time, and not likely to take a back seat to anyone. I think on the Keenan scale of GM killers, Messier would be about an 11, with the scale being 1 for low and 5 for deadly. That's right, an 11.

Old
03-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
I think both Mark Messier and the Rangers organ-i-zation would be better served if Messier went elsewhere. His presence is too big here. It is both a great blessing and a terrible curse. The Rangers are a much beeter team this year because they are a team, not one man. If Mess wants to coach, he should have to start at the bottom, just like every career coach did. Yes, he's done alot and had a career surpassed by very, very few, but it doesn't mean he can coach. Can you guys really picture Mess as an assistant in Hartford or Charlotte? Not me. He's big time, and not likely to take a back seat to anyone. I think on the Keenan scale of GM killers, Messier would be about an 11, with the scale being 1 for low and 5 for deadly. That's right, an 11.
Yeah, Mess should start with Junior teams first. See how he does there. Or an assistant at a minor league level, like Ulfie Samuelsson. But I agree with you, Scott, Messier does not seem to be a type of person that is going to take a back seat to anyone.

Old
03-29-2006, 07:01 PM
DutchShamrock

I love how Messier is the fall guy for the slump. He didn't draft/trade/sign anybody. He didn't coach/dress/scratch/make line combos. Well, no one really coached either, but I digress. He was 1 of how many players in those 4 years. Yes he was the Captain but he was not the team/organization. We had bad teams that had no work ethic or drive. They were not built with an express goal. They were not coached to be competitive in that era of hockey. We just plain sucked. Mess had no more to do with it than anyone else, and he does not go before the firing squad before Sather or any of the coaches.

Bobby Clark is one exception to the rule of great player=bad coach/gm. Lemaire is another that comes to mind.

I would really hate to see this coaching staff broken up just for the sake of getting Messier into the organization again and I can't fathom that being a likely scenerio. I wouldn't even want to do that if I was in Messier's shoes, a no win situation. And we have had 0 stability behind the bench in the last 12 or so years. Cambell was probably our longest tenured coach in that stretch and that was only for a few seasons.

Old
03-30-2006, 12:01 AM
romba

Quote:
Evil? Come on man. You think she wasn't thrilled to sing? That's absolutely rediculous.

Old
03-30-2006, 02:29 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
Evil? Come on man. You think she wasn't thrilled to sing? That's absolutely rediculous.
Yizee is a crazy Messier hater...We just learn to ignore him when he says silly stuff like that.

Closed Thread