HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Oshie stays with caps (8 years, 5.75 mil aav)

Old
06-23-2017, 09:55 PM
Ridley Simon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
So only people who don't think about the salary cap count as "actual fans?"
You said it. I didn't.

Fans of the team and players -- who don't consider themselves armchair GM's who think they know more than everyone else -- all seem to be happy to see Oshie back, and at less than 6m a season.

You feel otherwise. That's fine.

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 09:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
But we get to hear you complain about it for 50+ games again this season, so it counts as a win in my book.
BWahahahaahahaah!!! You win the day.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 10:03 PM
artilector

AAV is good, term is crazy.

I suppose it's a justifiable gamble if you believe that the Caps will be in contention in the near future.... the lesser evil of losing Oshie for nothing.

I'm not feeling optimistic about the Caps' direction, so... whatever. Cross fingers for Oshie to stay healthy. They more or less dodged a bullet with Orpik, maybe Oshie will tone it down and figure out how to stay effective longer.

Oshie seems like a really good guy -- at the very least, in this sense it will be pleasant to watch him on the team. Hopefully not a hospice kind of pleasant, lol.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 10:05 PM
hockeykicker

so heres the question then: do you take this deal and maybe have trouble at end of deal or you say no to this deal and he signs somewhere else?

dont forget about caps fans who dont know much about hockey but like tj oshie

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
You said it. I didn't.

Fans of the team and players -- who don't consider themselves armchair GM's who think they know more than everyone else -- all seem to be happy to see Oshie back, and at less than 6m a season.

You feel otherwise. That's fine.
You know it's entirely possible to both be a fan and try to have a knowledgeable opinion on the construction of the roster, right? You know it's possible to be a fan of a player and realize that player is no longer an ideal fit for your team, right? I'm a huge Alzner fan (his jersey is my go to for games), but I realize the Capitals are better off without him at this juncture. I own a signed Joel Ward jersey from his time with the Caps, but I wasn't going to object to GMBM opting to go with Oshie and Williams over bringing back Ward. Likewise, I'm a fan of Oshie. But I can also recognize that his contract is not going to be beneficial to the team for most of its term.

It's entirely possible to separate the emotional aspects of being a hockey fan from the rational ones. If you're not here to discuss the finer points of hockey and roster construction, I question why you'd participate in HFBoards.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies

By the time this contract is really bad, we'll be in a full rebuild. If we maintain some level of competitiveness for a coupla years, it's probably worth it from our management's POV. Happy to see TJ stay.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 10:52 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Backstom, Osie, Bura, Kuzya, AO, Nisky, Carlson, Orlov and Holtby are a fine core.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 11:02 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Backstom, Osie, Bura, Kuzya, AO, Nisky, Carlson, Orlov and Holtby are a fine core.
At this point AO is comfortably behind Backstrom, Oshie and Kuzy when it comes to importance to the team. That's concerning.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 11:16 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
At this point AO is comfortably behind Backstrom, Oshie and Kuzy when it comes to importance to the team. That's concerning.
and if ovechkin gets back to his normal high scoring self?

Old
06-23-2017, 11:23 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
well lets hope he does, he can start by losing 25-30 pounds, he's to slow and weak along the boards to be a power forward.

Last edited by um: 06-24-2017 at 12:08 AM.
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
You know it's entirely possible to both be a fan and try to have a knowledgeable opinion on the construction of the roster, right? You know it's possible to be a fan of a player and realize that player is no longer an ideal fit for your team, right? I'm a huge Alzner fan (his jersey is my go to for games), but I realize the Capitals are better off without him at this juncture. I own a signed Joel Ward jersey from his time with the Caps, but I wasn't going to object to GMBM opting to go with Oshie and Williams over bringing back Ward. Likewise, I'm a fan of Oshie. But I can also recognize that his contract is not going to be beneficial to the team for most of its term.

It's entirely possible to separate the emotional aspects of being a hockey fan from the rational ones. If you're not here to discuss the finer points of hockey and roster construction, I question why you'd participate in HFBoards.
Eye Roll.

Please stop acting so insulted. I can just as easily scoff at your "horror" at the deal, as you can scoff at me for calling you out for it.

I think your brow beating concern about this deal is....dramatic. You think I'm ignoring your rights as a fan. Both are part of the conversation.

Isn't that the very premise "why you'd of participate in HF Boards"?

Old
06-24-2017, 12:52 AM
Revelation

The good thing about Oshie is as he ages they can easily move him to a shutdown 3C where he could rely on his faceoffs and smarts rather than skills and where he'd still provide Jordan Staal/David Backes like value.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 05:49 AM
philip
dismember

I'm not happy with the 8 years, at all. Having old guys making bank really hurts your team, as you just can't shift them. Orpik was probably good 8 years ago...

philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 05:53 AM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
I'm not happy with the 8 years, at all. Having old guys making bank really hurts your team, as you just can't shift them. Orpik was probably good 8 years ago...
The salary cap will be a lot higher in 8 years

Old
06-24-2017, 06:08 AM
philip
dismember

Quote:
The salary cap will be a lot higher in 8 years
it will still be an ugly contract for an old guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we kept him, but 6x5 or something would have been better. Jeez

philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 07:49 AM
twabby

Quote:
so heres the question then: do you take this deal and maybe have trouble at end of deal or you say no to this deal and he signs somewhere else?

dont forget about caps fans who dont know much about hockey but like tj oshie
Say no and try to sign Justin Williams for 2 years. Similar overall production and better 5v5 production, and it's not like Mr. Game 7 is lacking the intangibles Oshie is given credit for either.

This saves money against the cap for this season to either lock up the RFAs long term or to be able to actually upgrade the top 4 on D.

Instead it's going to be tough to lock in Orlov and Kuznetsov long term while also having anything left over for a top 4 D upgrade. Oshie's a fine player but he also had the highest shooting percentage of any player over the past 8 seasons IIRC. I highly doubt he'd be considered this valuable if he only shot 13% like he did the season before.

twabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 08:30 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
People are not seeing this for what it really means, imo, which is that Ovechkin is gone in four years when his contract is up. Let's face it...if we don't win a Cup by then he's going somewhere else, maybe in the NHL. If we win a Cup before his contract expires he may just retire from the NHL and play in Russia.

Then Oshie then becomes the face of the Caps, maybe the Captain, or at least the veteran anchoring the core, and Ovechkin's $9.5M goes back into the player pool making Oshie's contract much easier to swallow on the back half.

06-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
By the time this contract is really bad, we'll be in a full rebuild. If we maintain some level of competitiveness for a coupla years, it's probably worth it from our management's POV. Happy to see TJ stay.
That's my take. Bad term but who cares? The core only has a few good years left anyway.

Maybe they should offer Williams $1.25x8.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Pigskin

Sign Williams

Forget signing a 4D ... let the kids and Orpik fill the gap

and if it looks reasonable, sign a 4D at the deadline

Pigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 09:45 AM
txpd

Oshie will break and ride out and of his deal on ltir. That is my guess.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigskin View Post
Sign Williams

I was thinking the same thing. Let Connolly go, sign a few kids from Hershey and let the D go for a while. See what the kids can do. Maybe one of them rolls into the top 4 w Carlson. If not, address as the season goes. Or deal Orpik in a Laich type deal. You will probably see some LTIR use this season too

Old
06-24-2017, 10:22 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Let Connolly go, sign a few kids from Hershey and let the D go for a while. See what the kids can do. Maybe one of them rolls into the top 4 w Carlson. If not, address as the season goes. Or deal Orpik in a Laich type deal. You will probably see some LTIR use this season too
I'm on board with this approach as well. There also comes a point where recognizing that the team may have too many similar style LWs in MAJO, Burakovsky and Vrana and need to move one. I'm high on Burakovsky so it should come down to MAJO or Vrana.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 11:38 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigskin View Post
Sign Williams

I am down with this.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

The only way to sign Williams would be if he was willing to accept a $1M or less deal. Not going to happen. No cap space.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Bananas

vCash: 504
Skating and injury are the looming concerns here. This seems like a classic "spectrum" deal: good contract for 2-3 years, OK contract for 2-3 years, albatross contract for 2-3 years.

For a team that proclaims it "realizes" the game is getting faster, it is important to note that we are heavily locked in on three slower top 6 forwards and just lost our most mobile defenseman.

It's a rock and a hard place off-season as expected. Losing Oshie would have been brutal, keeping him at this term seems to signal the org is not planning as if their window has slammed shut.

Five-year "soft" window incoming, followed by a rebuild, is what I expect. Of course, much like the spectrum contract above, things can change one way or another in a hurry.

I'll hope for the best, and expect the worst, as always...

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote