HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Old
06-26-2017, 06:01 AM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predigree View Post
Is he NHL ready or just another Prospect we have to wait years bevor we see him?

Never heard anything of this Guy.
Year or two before he's NHL ready. Depends on how he develops.

It's not very common for a prospect to be NHL ready in his draft year..

Rambokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 06:24 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predigree View Post
Is he NHL ready or just another Prospect we have to wait years bevor we see him?

Never heard anything of this Guy.
As good as he is now it took Forsberg three years after being drafted to get to the NHL
Usually anyone drafted below the top 4 or 5 is at least a year or two away from the NHL.

That said,since he was slated to go to college but turned out to not be eligible, he could possibly end up in Milwaukee this fall, and if he plays very well there, who knows what could happen

06-26-2017, 08:26 AM
Persona5

vCash: 500
I hope he lands with our AHL team. It seems to have worked out well for Fiala. No better place to learn from imo.

Persona5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
As good as he is now it took Forsberg three years after being drafted to get to the NHL
Usually anyone drafted below the top 4 or 5 is at least a year or two away from the NHL.

That said,since he was slated to go to college but turned out to not be eligible, he could possibly end up in Milwaukee this fall, and if he plays very well there, who knows what could happen
At spring he said he had several options about the college, but they chose Boston and committed to them. Are the other doors now closed to him due to that LoI thingy, for this year/for good, or is another school or an unprofessional sabbatical in junior leagues before trying again to Boston at this point still an option? I didn't get the idea that getting education would be a passing fancy to him, he was looking for something in business side I believe.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Lateralous

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rts/424648001/

30. Nashville Predators — RW Eeli Tolvanen. One of the best pure snipers in this year’s draft with absolutely magical hands. Smallish and doesn’t have a big frame, but is an explosive player who can score at will with his hands, creativity and a powerful core. Already has an NHL-ready release — unleashes the puck in stride with accuracy and power. Also has one of the best one-timers from the circle on the PP we’ve ever seen — absolutely lethal. Has to build up his body to better handle the rigors of the pro game, but he’s got the requisite hockey IQ/killer instinct and tools to be an impact NHLer when the pace and effort is there. Has that unmistakable scorer’s swagger and confidence you can’t coach in a player. But is not a complete player at this point — lacks a sense of urgency in his game and needs to tighten up his focus.

Found this gem from their pre-draft scouting reports.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ass/102840378/

16. Eeli Tolvanen, RW, 5-11/178, L, 22 Apr 99, Sioux City: Has the best one-timer since Brett Hull/Mike Bossy.

Lateralous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 09:34 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempo View Post
At spring he said he had several options about the college, but they chose Boston and committed to them. Are the other doors now closed to him due to that LoI thingy, for this year/for good, or is another school or an unprofessional sabbatical in junior leagues before trying again to Boston at this point still an option? I didn't get the idea that getting education would be a passing fancy to him, he was looking for something in business side I believe.
I would say that being a 1st round pick there is no chance the Predators would want him to stay in college more than a year or two at most, so he wouldn't get a college degree regardless of whether he had got in to BU. I think the Preds developmental staff will decide whether he would be better off going to junior or going directly to the AHL in Milwaukee.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 09:37 AM
King Weber

His goalie brother Atte got a development camp invite from us it seems.

King Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would say that being a 1st round pick there is no chance the Predators would want him to stay in college more than a year or two at most, so he wouldn't get a college degree regardless of whether he had got in to BU. I think the Preds developmental staff will decide whether he would be better off going to junior or going directly to the AHL in Milwaukee.
C, not U.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Gh24

I don't know what benefits Liiga would offer that AHL and Ads would not. In both leagues he'd get to play with big boys, but in AHL he'd get used to NA rink. Not to mention he'd be closer to Preds organisation and get to know his possible future teammates.

Gh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 12:17 PM
King Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh24 View Post
I don't know what benefits Liiga would offer that AHL and Ads would not. In both leagues he'd get to play with big boys, but in AHL he'd get used to NA rink. Not to mention he'd be closer to Preds organisation and get to know his possible future teammates.
the AHL's level of competition compared to USHL might be a bit too much too soon though

I don't know much about USHL, but I imagine it doesn't differ too much from the usual North American style of hockey, and he's played 2 seasons in there already so I assume he should be pretty used to the NA style.

King Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 12:50 PM
JustaFinnishGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Weber View Post
the AHL's level of competition compared to USHL might be a bit too much too soon though

I don't know much about USHL, but I imagine it doesn't differ too much from the usual North American style of hockey, and he's played 2 seasons in there already so I assume he should be pretty used to the NA style.
Liiga still hasn't been the most profitable way to teach the game to draft +1 year players though
There's examples like Vatanen, Pulkkinen and Raanta. Those are all from a while ago when they actually played in Liiga after their drafts.
Rantanen also might be a player who benefited from playing on Liiga.

JustaFinnishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Gh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Weber View Post

If juniors is most beneficial for him, so be it. I just don't see why - if he choose to play with men already - he'd come to Finland instead of playing in AHL.

Gh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 02:34 PM
DaJackal

Some highlights.

DaJackal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 02:38 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh24 View Post
If juniors is most beneficial for him, so be it. I just don't see why - if he choose to play with men already - he'd come to Finland instead of playing in AHL.
I think going to Oshawa is the best course for him. I think Fiala was rushed into the AHL and it's taken him longer to hit his stride as a result. Would like to see Tolvanen take a couple of seasons with the Generals before graduating up.

06-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
And I always like Finns.
Nashville has been a good place for Finnish prospects and the probability of success for them has been good there.

I will be again in Nashville (third trip) next June and I am really looking forward to see the Finals and the great fans in the Broadway. Legend´s Corner - here we come.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I think going to Oshawa is the best course for him. I think Fiala was rushed into the AHL and it's taken him longer to hit his stride as a result. Would like to see Tolvanen take a couple of seasons with the Generals before graduating up.
Fiala rushed? Taken longer? He is only 20 years old...

Persona5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Cujokicks
All Heart

When he kept slipping was thinking geez. What a great pick for preds.

Cujokicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 04:21 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Fiala rushed? Taken longer? He is only 20 years old...
That's what I'm saying. He was in the AHL at 18. He shouldn't have been.

nomorekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
He played pretty well in the AHL, why shouldn't he have been there?

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 07:47 PM
GeauxPreds

a forward coming out of the draft and making the roster in 2 years is hardly rushed.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 08:52 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
IIRC, there were questions about attitude/temper while he was playing for AJ overseas, and I believe the thought was to get him over here where the Preds and Ads staff could either straighten him out(seems to be the case) or see of they needed to trade him before his value dropped

I don't think it was a straightforward case of "lets get this kid to the NHL ASAP"

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 12:25 AM
Basher

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Have we ever drafted a sniper?
I thought back to a couple of Russians that we thought would be our sniper.

Shishkanov (archives with you actually talking about him )
Glazachev

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 02:36 AM
Rambokala

I'm watching the highlights and wondering where's the bad skating that people are bringing up with him on the prospect board.

Seems to me like a prospect whose only enemy is his own mind. He can achieve a lot if he wants to.

Rambokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Ippenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
I'm watching the highlights and wondering where's the bad skating that people are bringing up with him on the prospect board.

Seems to me like a prospect whose only enemy is his own mind. He can achieve a lot if he wants to.
He is by no means a bad skater. Those comments about him being a bad skater just show that those people don't really know much about him as a player. I have also noticed that a surprising amount of people on these boards don't have a clue of how to judge how good skater each player is. Many of them seem to only look at the frequency of the players legs moving and this leads exactly into failing miserably when trying to understand how good speed or acceleration each player has. There are huge differences in how powerful strides each players have, and often players who's feet don't move with a crazy frequency, happen to have very powerful and long strides. These kind of players look slow to many people's eyes, but in reality their long and powerful strides move them very fast on the ice.

Of Finnish players I can point out Laine, Aho and Tolvanen as good examples of players whom have this long and powerful skating stride, which can make them look slower as skaters than they really are. In fact each of them has a very good top speed and Aho has even excellent acceleration and agility, while Laine and Tolvanen can still improve in those areas of skating. But even they are around average or even above average in those areas. Of the very fast leg moving frequency skaters, whom are not still as fast as some people seem to think, are good examples Marner (whom has excellent agility though), McKinnon, Gaudreau and from Finnish players Vatanen. These guys have great acceleration though, but their fast leg movement can also fool people to think that their top speed is better than it really is. Otherwise they are great skaters, but just not as fast as many seem to see them.

Best skaters ever in the league, like McDavid, Bure and Fedorov have been completely amazing in that, that each of them has had pretty long and powerful strides combined with very fast leg movement frequency, so both, their acceleration and their top speed has been amazing.

Last edited by Ippenator: 06-27-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Ippenator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

That's so true, as evidenced by the years of Predators fans claiming that Legwand wasn't a good skater when he was among the best in the league.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote