HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do Not Retire #33, not in MtL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2003, 02:13 PM
  #1
old scotia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Do Not Retire #33, not in MtL

I hope it never happens, When Patrick Roy told Ronald Corey he played his last game in Montreal, he turned his back on the organization, which should mean no retirement of his sweater. Plus Larry Robinson or Bob Gainey are overdue.

old scotia is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 02:59 PM
  #2
old scotia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
What did they do to Statsny? Did they revoke it or something?

old scotia is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 03:10 PM
  #3
old scotia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
An unclassy organization!!!

And Ray Bourque plays 1 or 2 seasons and gets his # retired.

The only good thing is Patrick Roy went out a loser. He blew the last play-off game he played 2 years in a row.

old scotia is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 03:28 PM
  #4
StorminZ
Registered User
 
StorminZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Do I sense a little bitterness in this thread ?

I was not aware of Colorado's move to un-retire jersey numbers ... wow, that's a slap in the face of Goulet and Stastny! Have to agree, not a class act ... just goes to show, history and tradition seem to have less meaning in today's game.

As for Roy, I don't really care either way ... behind Dryden, Plante, Vezina, Durnan, Hainsworth, then I might consider Roy (ooh, do I sense a little bitterness within??? :mad: )

StorminZ is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 03:45 PM
  #5
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Those cups he brought Montreal don't matter anymore?

How quickly we all forget...

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:15 PM
  #6
hockey_nut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Roy's #33 WILL be retired in Montreal... just not for many years.

But it WILL happen within 10 years.

hockey_nut is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:23 PM
  #7
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Roy is one if not the best goalie of all time. But like someone said, he turned his back on us, and he doesn't deserve to be next to the names of players like Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau... those players played here in Montreal and loved being here, he didn't want to be here, therefore I don't think he deserves to be named with those players.

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:51 PM
  #8
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Roy is one if not the best goalie of all time. But like someone said, he turned his back on us, and he doesn't deserve to be next to the names of players like Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau... those players played here in Montreal and loved being here, he didn't want to be here, therefore I don't think he deserves to be named with those players.

Roy's jersey will be retired WAYYYYYY before that of Dryden. Not EVEN in the same league.

Patrick was a pionneer in the hockey world. His style of play has been modeled by hundreds, if not thousands of goalies since. His presence has brought back the pride in goaltending at the minor league level. Before him, kids in the nets were the most awful skaters, most awful forwards in hockey. NO ONE wanted the job. Then, Patrick came. Since then, it has been incredible.

In this province, his influence on hockey has been as great as that of Rocket Richard. My kid plays at the novice level and you cannot believe the quality of goaltending and teaching there is. The best hockey players coming from this province are now between the pipes. Dryden had NO influence at all. He was good, no question. I've seen him play. I was a goalie and he was my model. But Roy changed everything. His performance against the Rangers in 1986 has been unmatched ANYFREAKINGWHERE. Those who had the privilege of watching that game can attest to the incredible performance he gave. I had shivers, I recall.

Roy is and will always be a Canadien. No matter what. The Avalanche is an anomaly. It's a team with no tradition. That will probably disappear in smokes when this crop of excellent players give way to some basement-quality others.

deandebean is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:54 PM
  #9
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Roy is one if not the best goalie of all time. But like someone said, he turned his back on us, and he doesn't deserve to be next to the names of players like Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau... those players played here in Montreal and loved being here, he didn't want to be here, therefore I don't think he deserves to be named with those players.

Roy did not turn his back on this organisation. It's the other way around. Just like the organisation did with Lafleur, the Rocket, Harvey, Geoffrion, Plante, etc. This organisation has NEVER liked players bigger than life. It's ironic since these megastars were the raison d'źtre and the reason why the team won cup after cup. All of them were either traded or pushed aside without grace.

The Habs did not win cups because of Kenny Reardon, Pierre Mondou or Chuck Lefltey. They won because of the megastars. The Lafleurs, the Richards, the Beliveaus, the Harveys, the Plantes, the Geoffrions and...the Roys.

deandebean is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:56 PM
  #10
Bud The Spud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the dark side
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,273
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
I think his # should be retired. He did a lot in Montreal. But, I think there are others who should have their #'s retired first.

Bud The Spud* is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
  #11
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 500
Colorado unretired Statsny's and Goulet's numbers? What a classless move!

Go Habs Go is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
  #12
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
I think his # should be retired. He did a lot in Montreal. But, I think there are others who should have their #'s retired first.

I see one, and that's Larry. Dryden? No. Savard? No. Gainey? Well, since he's the gm, it would be weird to say the least.

deandebean is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 05:12 PM
  #13
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
Those cups he brought Montreal don't matter anymore?

How quickly we all forget...
And your memory must be shorter than everyones because players like Dryden, Gainey and Robinson just to name a couple had very succesful careers and won more Cups and played in Montreal for their whole careers (except Robinson) and the big thing is no one ever asked to leave, not ask demand.

I think Boivon put it best this summer when the media asked him if the Habs would retire Roy's jersey. He said that a lot of greats were already waiting for their jersey to be retired and that Montreal didn't retire #'s like Colorado, he said Colorado goes about it the same any other team would on a bobble head night.

And it really sickens me to know that greats like Stastny and Goulet have their jersey unretired because the team moved! For shame on that organization for doing that, you look really classless doing that and retiring Bourques jersey.

Roys number deserves to be retired in Colorado, in Montreal?

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 06:02 PM
  #14
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Roy's jersey will be retired WAYYYYYY before that of Dryden. Not EVEN in the same league.

Patrick was a pionneer in the hockey world. His style of play has been modeled by hundreds, if not thousands of goalies since. His presence has brought back the pride in goaltending at the minor league level. Before him, kids in the nets were the most awful skaters, most awful forwards in hockey. NO ONE wanted the job. Then, Patrick came. Since then, it has been incredible.

In this province, his influence on hockey has been as great as that of Rocket Richard. My kid plays at the novice level and you cannot believe the quality of goaltending and teaching there is. The best hockey players coming from this province are now between the pipes. Dryden had NO influence at all. He was good, no question. I've seen him play. I was a goalie and he was my model. But Roy changed everything. His performance against the Rangers in 1986 has been unmatched ANYFREAKINGWHERE. Those who had the privilege of watching that game can attest to the incredible performance he gave. I had shivers, I recall.

Roy is and will always be a Canadien. No matter what. The Avalanche is an anomaly. It's a team with no tradition. That will probably disappear in smokes when this crop of excellent players give way to some basement-quality others.
I know he is a great goalie and cropted great talent. But who cares, the habs are almost as big as hockey when it comes to tradition, greatest franchise in sports(OPINIONS, NOT TO DISCUSS HERE). Who cares what he did for the sport, you retire a # for a team, not for a league, well at least that is what we are debetating here.

The habs turned there back on players? ****, how many of you people say TRADE KOIVU TRADE THEO, you guys want a winner above anything. Maybe not you, but ****, that is all I hear when I come here is trade the players that mean something. You here think that the Habs gave the fans what they wanted, Championship after Championship? Roy turned his back on us, ASK TO BE TRADED, not the habs trading him cause they wanted him gone. What you rather have, great players finish there career looking like ordinary players, or trade them away and win some more championship? I can see you guys want to win, and thats what they did.

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 06:04 PM
  #15
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
And your memory must be shorter than everyones because players like Dryden, Gainey and Robinson just to name a couple had very succesful careers and won more Cups and played in Montreal for their whole careers (except Robinson) and the big thing is no one ever asked to leave, not ask demand.

I think Boivon put it best this summer when the media asked him if the Habs would retire Roy's jersey. He said that a lot of greats were already waiting for their jersey to be retired and that Montreal didn't retire #'s like Colorado, he said Colorado goes about it the same any other team would on a bobble head night.

And it really sickens me to know that greats like Stastny and Goulet have their jersey unretired because the team moved! For shame on that organization for doing that, you look really classless doing that and retiring Bourques jersey.

Roys number deserves to be retired in Colorado, in Montreal?
I love you! I completely agree with you man, the Colorado ****, well I don't like it, and lost a lot of respect for them for doing that.

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 06:59 PM
  #16
nilan1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Exactly old scotia I thought I was the only one who felt that way he schould never have his number retired ever.

nilan1 is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 08:55 PM
  #17
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
Roy's #33 WILL be retired in Montreal... just not for many years.

But it WILL happen within 10 years.
definately a possibility......the thing with Roy is he just could not co-exist with Mario Tremblay and Tremblay is not in our organization anymore which is a good thing(scout for Wild not). So perhaps Roy was just bitter with him, since Roy was left in net for all 9 goals when he played his last game as a hab against Detroit in December of 1995....i dont think he is that bitter at the Montreal Canadiens organization as a whole

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 09:21 PM
  #18
Disco Volante
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 2nd to FloydianSlip
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Tremblay is not in our organization anymore which is a good thing(scout for Wild not).
I, for one, doesn't think Tremblay's departure is a good thing. The fact you misplace an assistant-coach who was a big part of the Wild's success with an anonymous scout tells me a little on how much you know about what he did or did not. Habs fans should stop bashing everything and anything, they only get to shoot themselves in the feet.

As for Roy. I think his jersey should be retired, in 10-15 years.

Disco Volante is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 09:35 PM
  #19
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PornoHolocaust
I, for one, doesn't think Tremblay's departure is a good thing. The fact you misplace an assistant-coach who was a big part of the Wild's success with an anonymous scout tells me a little on how much you know about what he did or did not. Habs fans should stop bashing everything and anything, they only get to shoot themselves in the feet.

As for Roy. I think his jersey should be retired, in 10-15 years.
It is a fact that Roy demanded a trade because of Mario Tremblay's bad coaching in leaving him in net for 9 Detroit goals......I mean, i dont want a coach as part of the habs organization who can not even get along with the superstar on the team.....Pom Pom Tremblay is a good fit with the Wild, i am happy he is not a part of the habs organization now. Yes, he is an assistant coach now, but he was a scout first for the Wild....either way, i dont want him in the habs organization. We are better off without people like Tremblay. I am not bashing Tremblay, i am just stating some facts and my opinion

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 10:43 PM
  #20
Disco Volante
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 2nd to FloydianSlip
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
It is a fact that Roy demanded a trade because of Mario Tremblay's bad coaching in leaving him in net for 9 Detroit goals......I mean, i dont want a coach as part of the habs organization who can not even get along with the superstar on the team.....Pom Pom Tremblay is a good fit with the Wild, i am happy he is not a part of the habs organization now. Yes, he is an assistant coach now, but he was a scout first for the Wild....either way, i dont want him in the habs organization. We are better off without people like Tremblay. I am not bashing Tremblay, i am just stating some facts and my opinion
Well ok then, I'll take for granted you weren't intending to bash Tremblay (which is what habs fans do habitually). I may have been a little fast, this time, to jump on the defense of the bashed.

Habs fans should stop bashing everything and anything, they only get to shoot themselves in the feet. Maybe I should take that as an advice - so you've got my apologies.

Disco Volante is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 11:03 PM
  #21
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PornoHolocaust
Well ok then, I'll take for granted you weren't intending to bash Tremblay (which is what habs fans do habitually). I may have been a little fast, this time, to jump on the defense of the bashed.

Habs fans should stop bashing everything and anything, they only get to shoot themselves in the feet. Maybe I should take that as an advice - so you've got my apologies.
i got a question for you, why you like Mario Tremblay so much?

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 11:24 PM
  #22
Nyclaus
Registered User
 
Nyclaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Good Vibes!
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PornoHolocaust
Well ok then, I'll take for granted you weren't intending to bash Tremblay (which is what habs fans do habitually). I may have been a little fast, this time, to jump on the defense of the bashed.

Habs fans should stop bashing everything and anything, they only get to shoot themselves in the feet. Maybe I should take that as an advice - so you've got my apologies.
Don't mind me, but I just loves kicking players' n*ts when they play like excrement (players like Rusinsky for instance, or Audette lately*wait a sec..I always bash Audette).

I hope you won't mind me bashin' some more I hope laddy!

Nyclaus is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 11:37 PM
  #23
Russian Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PornoHolocaust
Well ok
Your avatar is INCREDIBLE, I LOVE IT !!!

Russian Fan is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 05:10 AM
  #24
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
The bitterness against Roy is tired, get over it. Bottom line, he is the best goalie in the modern era. The truth is on the ice. He is a winner.

The fact that the Avs retired his shirt first is no surprise. They are the last team he played for. The fact that they retired it so quick is an obvious sign that they do not have any history and are searching for heros to market. No harm there, but their haste cheapens the whole idea of retiring shirts.

And never forget...they are the Nordiques :moon: , the sworn enemy of the Habs. The guys in management still remember....

As for Roy turning his back on the Habs....when Corey hired Houle and Tremblay (who was not ready to deal with athletes of this generation) they turned their back on the history of the Canadiens. They turned the team into a old friends club. We used to hire the best people in the business, under Corey, they hired guys that would sound good at press conferences.

But...first things first...retire the shirts from 70's-80's Habs that deserve it.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 05:29 AM
  #25
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!
 
gunnerdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
He didnt turn his back on the team. What the hell was with Tremblay not getting Roy out of the net for freaking 9 goals... I saw the game and it was horrible. I would`ve probably done the same thing. You never leave a goalie in net for 9 goals, that`s unacceptable. Roy deserves his jersey to be retired, but still We need Big Bird first and a couple of other guys too. But if they dont retire Roy`s # at one time or another, I will lose a lot of respect for the organisation.

gunnerdom is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.