HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Huet to decide on future after the season (MERGED)

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sposman
I really want Huet to resign but I am scared s**tless of Gainey doing it. He has showed no ability whatsoever when it comes to giving out contracts. Huet has been fantastic but it's still only half of a season, and thus should be paid as such. If Gainey, which I suspect he will, lands up signing Huet to a 3-4 million dollar deal, it may very well be Theo #2 all over again.

Andrei Markov 2 year deal was a good one wasnt it?

Old
03-30-2006, 12:12 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Before July 1st but after the season and playoffs if applicable. Kiprusoff made the SC final and got 3.3M$/ 3 years. Thomas didn't make the playoffs and got around 1.3M$. Let's not get into Khaby money just yet.

Old
03-30-2006, 12:24 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
personally if i was huet and they offered a 1 year deal id say

" no deal "
If u were Gainey u would want another year to prove his worth. One half season doesnt make a career.

Old
03-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
If u were Gainey u would want another year to prove his worth. One half season doesnt make a career.

thats the "risk " your going to have to take.

calgary could have said the same thing to kipper right?
instead they gave him 3.8 million.no im not saying give huet that kind of money !!

who knows if huet will get us to the playoffs although he has got us with in 10 games and 5 pt cushion as of now and who knows how far he is going to take us if/when we get there....

what do ya do if he takes us 2 rounds deep ? still offer him 1 yr?

there is noway huet as a "ufa" is going to sign for 1 year only no chance. he doesnt have too there will be 5 other teams offering him 2 to 3 yr deals

Old
03-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Raider917

if montreal dont sign him to a bigger than 1 yr/1-2 million contract, some other team will.

Old
03-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
if montreal dont sign him to a bigger than 1 yr/1-2 million contract, some other team will.

agreed montreal will have to go 2 years with a team option for the 3rd ...that just what im thinking is fair for bothsides

Old
03-30-2006, 04:24 AM
Go Habs Go

If Gainey would be hesitant to give Huet a big contract after half a season, what makes you think other GMs would? He is loved in Montreal but in the eyes of other teams, he's just that aging backup that had 30 good games all of a sudden, not enough to get "big money".

Old
03-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Evilo

If you want my opinion, from the time I know him, I'm 90% certain he will sign with Montreal if they give him a decent proposal (two years/1.5 to 2M).

Old
03-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Tuggy

I hope they let Bouillon walk...our defense hasn't suffered without him. Imagine adding another big physical guy to Souray, Rivet, Komisarek and Markov!

Old
03-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Bouillon will finally get some respect and get paid for all the work he does . With a bigger frame he would be already making Rivet type money . I hope he stays with us .
I agree he is a great bottom 6 defenceman

i like the pitbull attitude and his big hits

Old
03-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
montreal will have to go 2 years with a team option for the 3rd ...that just what im thinking is fair for bothsides

I agree i think Huet likes it in montreal.. with the chanting and the star he is becoming in montreal it would be hard for him to walk away from IMO.

Old
03-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
I agree i think Huet likes it in montreal.. with the chanting and the star he is becoming in montreal it would be hard for him to walk away from IMO.
You are right, like for Kovalev, the fans reaction and feeling of playing for Montreal is our Joker but our Doom at the same time...

For player like Kovy or Huet, its the sort of think that can make the balance tip in our favor.

For player like Brisebois, it was the main reason for him to depart.
On the other hand, I don't think I want player who can't sustain the pressure on my team. In the end it spell playoff failure all over the place...

Huet => 1.5 for 1 year + team option (bearing a good playoff run)
Bouillon => 1.2 + 1.3 + 1.5

Sunny = gone
Bulis = gone
Simpson = gone, I never think of him as a keeper anyway, Simpson = Quintal, big guy who can do some stuff for you but nothing more.

Old
03-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
You are right, like for Kovalev, the fans reaction and feeling of playing for Montreal is our Joker but our Doom at the same time...

For player like Kovy or Huet, its the sort of think that can make the balance tip in our favor.

For player like Brisebois, it was the main reason for him to depart.
On the other hand, I don't think I want player who can't sustain the pressure on my team. In the end it spell playoff failure all over the place...

Huet => 1.5 for 1 year + team option (bearing a good playoff run)
Bouillon => 1.2 + 1.3 + 1.5

Sunny = gone
Bulis = gone
Simpson = gone, I never think of him as a keeper anyway, Simpson = Quintal, big guy who can do some stuff for you but nothing more.
1.5 on a 1-year deal will NOT get it done for Huet. I'm sure a team like Tampa would GLADLY offer $1.75M for 2-3 years, which would easily be enough to pry Cristo away if $1.5M for 1 year was our best offer.

Also, I'm not so keen on Bouillon. If his cap hit is gonna be any higher than $1.2M, I'd definitely consider letting him walk.

Old
03-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Also, I'm not so keen on Bouillon. If his cap hit is gonna be any higher than $1.2M, I'd definitely consider letting him walk.
That's the feeling I have aswell. I feel with Markov, Souray, Rivet, Komisarek and Dandenault our defense is solid already. Imagine throwing a Kubina or someone like that in there.

Old
03-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
That's the feeling I have aswell. I feel with Markov, Souray, Rivet, Komisarek and Dandenault our defense is solid already. Imagine throwing a Kubina or someone like that in there.
Exactly, and even if not, is Coté really THAT much of a step down from Bouillon? I don't think so.

Old
03-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Exactly, and even if not, is Coté really THAT much of a step down from Bouillon? I don't think so.
Not at all. Cote looked alright when he played, but I would rather bring in another big veteren guy.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:04 AM
AH

Gauging Huet's market value is gonna be a tough one. That problem lies with both the Huet and the Habs camps.

I mean, if you are Huet and you sign a Mikka Kiprussoff like 3 year $10 million deal and then proceed to produce like a $7 million goalie, you are killing yourself. If you are the Habs, do you give Huet that 3 year $10 million deal based on half a season and maybe have Theodore #2 on your hands?

It's a tough one. I say both parties settle on a 2 year deal. This gives Huet time to show his real worth in the league and gives the Habs a source of security that they have not made another Theodore type mistake. The $ amount will depend on how far the team goes in the post season. I say 1.75 per year right now (for making the playoffs) and add 500K for every round you win.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
Gauging Huet's market value is gonna be a tough one. That problem lies with both the Huet and the Habs camps.

I mean, if you are Huet and you sign a Mikka Kiprussoff like 3 year $10 million deal and then proceed to produce like a $7 million goalie, you are killing yourself. If you are the Habs, do you give Huet that 3 year $10 million deal based on half a season and maybe have Theodore #2 on your hands?

It's a tough one. I say both parties settle on a 2 year deal. This gives Huet time to show his real worth in the league and gives the Habs a source of security that they have not made another Theodore type mistake. The $ amount will depend on how far the team goes in the post season. I say 1.75 per year right now (for making the playoffs) and add 500K for every round you win.
Good post. Perhaps Gainey and Huet's agent could reach a friendly agreement of giving the Habs virtual matching rights on the market.

Like Gainey could make an offer, and even if Huet and his agent want to hear what else is out there, give Bob the opportunity to match whatever other offers are made to Cristo for him to remain in Montreal.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
wildone26*

I see definitely one of the other teams in need of a real starting goalie-Tampa Bay for example offering Huet a contract for 2-3 years for 1.5-2 million a year. If Montreal offers a 1-year contract for 1-1.5 million a year he will be gone very fast. For the record that is what I predict will happen, a 1-year contract offer and he will go somewhere else.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Tuggy

Are other teams able to talk to pending free agents before July 1st?

Old
03-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1
Why should he resigns with a team that didn't even presented him in the beginning of the season ?
He wasn't offered anything at the start of the season because he started the year with a MAJOR injury. There isn't a GM in the league who would have thrown a huge sum at him at that time. Hindsight is 20-20. No one knew if he could recover from the injury or how well. If anything I think BG and the staff showed a lot of patience with Huet (as they did with and Souray, Komisarek) and gave them the chance to prove their value once they healed physically and emotionally.

Hockey is a business in the end, but I'd like to think that the humanitarian actions of the team would be taken in to account. Not too many GMs would have been as patient.

Old
03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
hockey_nut

interesting piece to the puzzle

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl060330.html

says huet could get around $2M next season and that gainey will talk about contracts after the season's over

Old
03-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
interesting piece to the puzzle

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl060330.html

says huet could get around $2M next season and that gainey will talk about contracts after the season's over
If it's a $2 million deal, I think the max I'd be comfortable with would be 2 years.

At $1.75 million, I'd go to 3.

Of course, for all we know, Huet might only want a 1-year deal, hoping for a big-time payoff next Summer. In that case, we might have more leverage to keep his contract value small this Summer.

Old
03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1
Why should he resigns with a team that didn't even presented him in the beginning of the season ?
There's a few reason's... But I'll take a crack at it (of course my guess is and only will be speculation)

1) yes, he had a very tough time fitting in to the team that thought they didn't need him... But if you've ever watched Rocky IV, to quote the great champion Rocky Balboa, "People CAN Change!!!"
Huet effectively went from, essentially going to finish his career in Switzerland, to the top dog in the most legendary town there is, with a team that's on the up and up, a city that fell in love with him... and he is also suited in probably the best hockey town Cristobal could play in for the NHL. If this is the real deal holyfield, Huet that we're seeing (with Melanson's help) we absolutely cannot afford to let him walk.

2) He chased the Franchise out of town... that's gotta feel great, and I believe for a quiet guy like Huet, Vindication must be great.

3) I bet you he's never had more fun than what he's having right now... People write books after having years like his

4) Montreal (the city) would be very upset to lose him after the year he's having, and I dont think it'll be another NHL team that gets him if he does decide to go. It'll be the unhappy wife that longs to return to Switzerland.

I am just hoping it was just talk earlier, and Cristobal really does want to stay (as well as his wife)

Here's a call out to all hab fans seeing Huet on the street (w/ or without his wife) MAKE IT ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM TO WANT TO LEAVE!!!

Old
03-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by briste
Why would he sign for 1 year with the Habs when other teams will offer him 2 or 3 years.

And if Montreal has to open the vault a bit to get Huet under contract, I would expect that Aebischer would become trade bait, Danis would become backup and Halak would become the #1 guy in Hamilton.

The timeline fits fairly well if Price develops as hoped. He would likely be ready in another 3 years.

Bang you got it

That is exactly what i was going to type.

Closed Thread