HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the corvo/palffy dilemma

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 10:13 AM
agentfouser

vCash:
the corvo/palffy dilemma

from comments that i recall (but can't find), i was under the impression that if corvo was found guilty, there would at least be questions about whether or not he would be allowed to remain in the organization. obviously, he's plead guilty, and we have to assume that such questions are being asked right now.

but, with palffy now in legal hot water, this presents a whole new dilemma for the kings. if they get rid of corvo on the basis of his felony conviction, what do they do if palffy, unlikely as it may be, goes to trial and is found guilty, even of a misdemeanor?

what should the kings do? what will they do? what would you do?

personally, i would be very tempted to ship both of them off for whatever i could get, or nothing. this team is in serious need of public relations improvement, of the variety that success on the ice will not bring. but then again, like i said, its quite a dilemma, and as of right now, i don't know exactly how i feel about it.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:10 AM
IGM

vCash: 500
I think that unfortunately in Corvo's case since he plead down that we really don't know what the true circumstances of the situation were so if it were up to me I would make him stick to his parole (or court arrangements) and let him know that if he steps out of line one time that he is out.

I believe in the constitution of the United States of America and until ZP is PROVEN guilty he is innocent to me. If it turns out that he was guilty of spousal abuse then let the law deal with the problem and stand by their decision. When Doug Gilmore ***** his babysitter he was allowed to play in the NHL and that always rubbed me the wrong way but in a sense it was right. The law made the determination of his punishment and his team stood by it.

We have to remember that these guys are only hockey players when they are on the ice and afford them to have a personal life and let them have to live up to the same standards that we all do.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:29 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
In addition, if Palffy is found guilty he runs the risk of being deported (I'm not sure but I don't think he's been nationalized).

10-28-2003, 11:58 AM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGM
I think that unfortunately in Corvo's case since he plead down that we really don't know what the true circumstances of the situation were so if it were up to me I would make him stick to his parole (or court arrangements) and let him know that if he steps out of line one time that he is out.

I believe in the constitution of the United States of America and until ZP is PROVEN guilty he is innocent to me. If it turns out that he was guilty of spousal abuse then let the law deal with the problem and stand by their decision. When Doug Gilmore ***** his babysitter he was allowed to play in the NHL and that always rubbed me the wrong way but in a sense it was right. The law made the determination of his punishment and his team stood by it.

We have to remember that these guys are only hockey players when they are on the ice and afford them to have a personal life and let them have to live up to the same standards that we all do.
of course i would not take action against palffy until he was proven proven guilty; i was thinking in more hypothetical terms, as in "if he is found guilty."

so what you're saying, basically, is that even if the guilt of both of these players is established, you would continue to allow them to play if they were not sentenced to jail? you would not advocate any further sanctions from the los angeles kings on these players?

if that is correct, then yes, i agree that is one route that the team could take, and perhaps should take. but at the same time, its hard to support having players in your organization who have been convicted of violent crime.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:54 PM
IGM

I understand what you are saying and used to feel the same way. I guess I have a personal reason for the way I feel that I would rather not share with the whole board. Suffice it to say that I was accused of something once when I was a young man and while it was physically impossible for me to have been guilty and the police who investigated the case, and knew that to be true (after they had already started) had contacted my family, my employer my friends and even my then fiances family asking questions and implying that I was guilty and that they should help them put away this dangerous criminal. Of course, unbeknownst to them I was actually out of the country working for the govt and when they found that out they turned their investigation in another direction, sort of. The local papers got a hold of the story and my reputation was thrashed as a result. That being said, my room mate was the guilty party and while I was out of the country (as stated) when the crime occured, in order to save face the police charged me with colusion and I was forced (by the branch of the gov i worked for) to plead guilty to a lesser charge. All because the gov had assigned me a criminal for a room mate.

My point is that sometimes in thier zelous drive to book a case the police will do things based on hunches (not always wrong by the way) and that lawyers will convince people to accept plea's even though they are innocent just to keep them out of court and or the possibility of jail.

I am not saying that either of these two situations have had that happen but I am saying that since we don't now know the truth and even when someone goes to court and plea's to a lesser charge we still might not ever know the truth that I don't think it is right to hold anyone (including atheletes) to any other standards then the courts impose and that there is simply no reason to want anything else done with them.

In both of these cases the damage that has been done to thier reputations will never be repaired. No matter what you tell some people they will always believe the worst of you or of what they hear or are told. I know in my situation that the local paper wrote a follow up article that was critical of the police for what they had done to me and that they appoligized both publicly and privately to me for their first article. To this very day I still have people ask me how the "recovery" is going as if I am or ever was involved in anything wrong. If it is indeed true then you won't see a DA letting anyone plea bargain their way out of a case like these two. Usually a bargain happens when the DA feels that there is a chance that the person they are after might get off. With these two guys being celebrities I doubt that they would accept a plea unless they believed that there might be mitigating circumstances that might make it very difficult to convict them. Even then, it doesn't matter because I will always think of Corvo as the kid who actually went back into a bar to have a scuffle with a girl involved and will now think that ZP might have shaken or shoved his girlfriend around, and that is the absolute hieght of cowardice in my opinion.

So the damage is already done for us fans. That is why I don't think that the team should do anything else to the players. The courtroom of public opinion has already taken care of that. It's up to our legal system to take care of the criminal punishment part.

Old
10-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
What did Corvo get? A 3 year delayed sentence? What does that mean?

Closed Thread