HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 17-18 Part XVIX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2017, 01:51 PM
  #1
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,339
vCash: 50
Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 17-18 Part XVIX

It's a new season of speculation! And the crowds rejoiced. "Yay!"

Continued from: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2351111

Some posts to get us going:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
I just read that Lightning didn't qualify Byron Froese. I'd like to see the Jets sign him for depth and for the Moose.

New thread time, for 2017-18!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Elliott was never my first choice but I would be very happy with this if it turned out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Wow. That's a very good signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Elliott always made a lot of sense.. Not going to cost any assets in a trade, good career numbers, worked well in a tandem situation with a young goalie previously.

Honestly if the org is still high on Hellebuyck (as they have reason to be) Elliott is pretty much tailor made for the 2nd goalie spot here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I look at real estate in Vancouver all the time! Maybe he's looking for a nice summer home to enjoy our beautiful summers

YWGinYYZ is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 01:59 PM
  #2
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(
 
JetsFan815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,925
vCash: 500
Elliot is better than nothing and better than spending assets to acquire a goalie considering our track record with trades involving picks recently. I am cautiously optimistic if we sign him for the next season.

Good thing with Elliot is that he's almost always been in a 1a 1b type situation so there shouldn't be any drama

JetsFan815 is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 02:03 PM
  #3
Maukkis
ScheifElite
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
I would be happy with Elliott. Grubauer was my first choice before, but he quickly became too expensive (and has no track record of being a NHL starter). Raanta was a puzzling one - a good goalie for sure, but look at what Arizona paid for the package of him and Stepan. If giving up no assets and probably not that much money either means getting Elliott, I count that as a win.

He is not a perfect goalie by any means, but there are positives too. He knows the situation he will be in - not everyone likes sharing his net (see Steve from Philadelphia), which is what Elliott has done for a while now with the Blues and the Flames. Secondly, there is a chance that he will never have to be relied on as our starter - provided that Hellebuyck takes steps forward. Elliott is a perfect backup to have for him. On top of that, he costs no assets whatsoever.

We could do a lot worse, I'll tell you that much.

Maukkis is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 02:04 PM
  #4
Hobble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Should come cheap after his performance in Calgary. Pretty fitting for Winnipeg, looking for the best deal possible.

Decent stop-gap until Helle takes the reins with consistency.

Hobble is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 02:15 PM
  #5
Jets
All hat, no cattle.
 
Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 920
Makes total sense from a Jets perspective. The cheapest option no other team really has on their radar cause they're all looking for game changers. We'll always bow out and settle for less.

Jets is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 02:19 PM
  #6
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 27,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maukkis View Post
I would be happy with Elliott. Grubauer was my first choice before, but he quickly became too expensive (and has no track record of being a NHL starter). Raanta was a puzzling one - a good goalie for sure, but look at what Arizona paid for the package of him and Stepan. If giving up no assets and probably not that much money either means getting Elliott, I count that as a win.

He is not a perfect goalie by any means, but there are positives too. He knows the situation he will be in - not everyone likes sharing his net (see Steve from Philadelphia), which is what Elliott has done for a while now with the Blues and the Flames. Secondly, there is a chance that he will never have to be relied on as our starter - provided that Hellebuyck takes steps forward. Elliott is a perfect backup to have for him. On top of that, he costs no assets whatsoever.

We could do a lot worse, I'll tell you that much.
It's impossible to know how well Elliott will play. If he's as good as most previous seasons, that's more than good enough. With very few exceptions, it's had to peg the performance of NHL goalies in the next season.

Whileee is online now  
Old
06-26-2017, 02:27 PM
  #7
Maukkis
ScheifElite
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
It's impossible to know how well Elliott will play. If he's as good as most previous seasons, that's more than good enough. With very few exceptions, it's had to peg the performance of NHL goalies in the next season.
That's true as well, but for the last four (?) years, he has had numbers better than any Jets goalie had last year. The premise should be that he is acquired to share the net with Hellebuyck, and whatever happens from there, happens. All I know is that with Helliott, our backup goalie should no longer be our weakness that costs us games, which Hutch and Pavs did last year.

Maukkis is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 02:39 PM
  #8
LucianoBorsato
Registered User
 
LucianoBorsato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
If someone said to me: Hutchinson, Pavelec or Elliott. Pick one. I'd take Elliott, no questions asked

LucianoBorsato is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 02:44 PM
  #9
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Makes total sense from a Jets perspective. The cheapest option no other team really has on their radar cause they're all looking for game changers. We'll always bow out and settle for less.

Lempo is online now  
Old
06-26-2017, 02:49 PM
  #10
ps241
.915 please Steve
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 21,415
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Elliot is better than nothing and better than spending assets to acquire a goalie considering our track record with trades involving picks recently. I am cautiously optimistic if we sign him for the next season.

Good thing with Elliot is that he's almost always been in a 1a 1b type situation so there shouldn't be any drama
I also think he is further along in his career and it will be tougher for Flaherty to screw him up.

ps241 is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:02 PM
  #11
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,185
vCash: 949
Might as well stick the tweet in this thread:


Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:02 PM
  #12
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
Elliott should help to get this team into the playoffs.

I'm not as confident thinking he would be the goalie for a long playoff run, but does help get us there. Helle may still be our best bet for a long playoff run.

Bob E is online now  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:18 PM
  #13
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 27,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Elliott should help to get this team into the playoffs.

I'm not as confident thinking he would be the goalie for a long playoff run, but does help get us there. Helle may still be our best bet for a long playoff run.
How confident are you that any of your other options would out perform Elliott? I don't even try to predict. Goalies are hoodoo, remember?

Whileee is online now  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:18 PM
  #14
trebendan
Registered User
 
trebendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Should the Jets try for Nail Yakupov, now that he's a UFA?

trebendan is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:29 PM
  #15
jetsforever
Registered User
 
jetsforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,627
vCash: 500
I'd be happy with Elliott to split with Hellebuyck until Helle is ready to be a full time starter (and hopefully a good one).

jetsforever is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:37 PM
  #16
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,989
vCash: 279
I've long been fine with Brian Elliott as a cheap UFA signing. He doesn't cost any assets, and is a significant upgrade over what we've had in the past. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Should the Jets try for Nail Yakupov, now that he's a UFA?
No. We don't need any more one-dimensional wingers on the team.

CorgisPer60 is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:46 PM
  #17
ffh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
I've long been fine with Brian Elliott as a cheap UFA signing. He doesn't cost any assets, and is a significant upgrade over what we've had in the past. >_>



No. We don't need any more one-dimensional wingers on the team.
What dimension is he good at

ffh is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:50 PM
  #18
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
How confident are you that any of your other options would out perform Elliott? I don't even try to predict. Goalies are hoodoo, remember?
Not very confident.

I see the goalie options now being Mason, Elliott or Bernier. Elliott has my vote since I think he can help us get to playoffs. He can get very hot over a period of time during the season. We just need a 2015 Pavelec run and we likely are back in. I think Elliott can do that over 30-40 games during the season.

I also think the playoff pressure gets to him. He isn't able to let a weak goal go in the playoffs, imo. Mentally he needs to be stronger, imo.

Bob E is online now  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:51 PM
  #19
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Should the Jets try for Nail Yakupov, now that he's a UFA?
Nope.

Bob E is online now  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:53 PM
  #20
folix
Registered User
 
folix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
What dimension is he good at

folix is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 03:55 PM
  #21
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Not very confident.

I see the goalie options now being Mason, Elliott or Bernier. Elliott has my vote since I think he can help us get to playoffs. He can get very hot over a period of time during the season. We just need a 2015 Pavelec run and we likely are back in. I think Elliott can do that over 30-40 games during the season.

I also think the playoff pressure gets to him. He isn't able to let a weak goal go in the playoffs, imo. Mentally he needs to be stronger, imo.
He seems inconsistent in the playoffs. He's had two real good years, two real poor years and an ok year.

I think people forget he took the Blues to the WCF the seaso before last while sporting a .922. That seems to indicate that he's capable of going on a run there as well.

surixon is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 04:01 PM
  #22
Eyeseeing
Registered User
 
Eyeseeing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Not very confident.

I see the goalie options now being Mason, Elliott or Bernier. Elliott has my vote since I think he can help us get to playoffs. He can get very hot over a period of time during the season. We just need a 2015 Pavelec run and we likely are back in. I think Elliott can do that over 30-40 games during the season.

I also think the playoff pressure gets to him. He isn't able to let a weak goal go in the playoffs, imo. Mentally he needs to be stronger, imo.
People forget Hutch played lights out prior to all star break .934 or something ridiculous like that.
Pavs played crappy except that 10 game streak.
Hutch is streaky also.
Think Hutch played well during the 7 game win streak to end the season.
Elliot needs to be good consistently not streaky

Eyeseeing is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 04:02 PM
  #23
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,989
vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
What dimension is he good at
Sliding on his knees.

CorgisPer60 is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 04:42 PM
  #24
anttir3
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
I think Niemi would be a solid option to get if we could get him cheap.
He could play 25 to 40 games and be a solid pacemaker for Helle, no?
If we could save some cap space in order to get a better D-man I'd be ready to play Hellebuyck as a straight 1st goalie.

anttir3 is offline  
Old
06-26-2017, 04:45 PM
  #25
Nolan Giesbrecht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Was anyone listening to 1290 around 4:20 pm today?

I started listening in the middle of a segment and it seemed that Paul Edmonds was talking about something Trouba said at the exit interview that seemed to indicate he'd be open to a long term contract.

Anyone else catch this? Would love to hear the context for it.

Edmonds also mentioned that Trouba was against the hold out and only went through with it on his agents advice. Further, it was Trouba who was the catalyst in pushing to sign the bridge deal.

Anyone else hear this?

Nolan Giesbrecht is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.