HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hardest Puncher in Hockey? (Bettman lovers Beware)

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2006, 02:13 AM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Hardest Puncher in Hockey? (Bettman lovers Beware)

Wow.

First off, let me preface this by saying that Godard (a former Cane) is one of my favourite enforcers and I think... err thought... that he could be NHL heavyweight champ some day and his season was showing that this could very likely be the case after a win vs. Brashear Cairns and a solid draw vs. Laraque

Then he fought Orr before the Olympic break and had his nose shattered. Not popped out of place, or broken... but "shattered". He has not been the same since (see Gill or Boulton fight for evidence of this). Last night he had a chance to get back on track if he could avenge his loss to the Coal-train...

Godard ran Kasper with a jarring hit as Kasper had been running around popping guys early in the game. Orr doesn't stand for this and goes after a willing Godard -who pops Orr with a couple big shots. Orr eats them and BAM returns a shot that drops Godard on his back.

Now let me back up for a second.

Godard, in all of the WHL, AHL and NHL fights that I have watched, heard or read about, has never EVER been dropped by a punch. Sure he has been wrestled, or slipped before, but he has NEVER been dropped by a punch! The guy has a chin that makes Domi's look like it is made from dental-floss and plastic -by comparison.

Obviously Orr has not been in very many fights this year compared to other years, but the damage this guy is doing with his fists is unreal. Guys like Probie won alot of fights (obviously) but I don't think he had the punching-power of Orr. Kocur had the hands-or-cement-bags as well... but when he was fighting enforcers (generally) were smaller.

fwiw -the Rangers coaching staff (from what I have been reading) really seem to love Orr. He looks good with them (had 4hits in 4mins vs. Buffalo the other night) -but then again what do the Rangers staff know about coaching that Sullivan doesn't

Later in the game Erskine jumped Orr (Erskine got 2,2,5 and a 10) while Orr got 5 for a fight where he didn't throw a punch in. I miss Orr -he just goes out there and hits, hits and hits (his open-ice levelling of Satan last night was nice too). taking notes LaCotoure?

I wonder if the Bruins could get Godard for next year now that the Isles have Erskine (11fights) and Godard has looked lost here at the end of the year (look at fight card here ) as long as we keep him away from Orr he would be great in the black'n'gold.

Would you want to pick up Godard as a 12th/13th forward next year? I love the guys hitting game (and his fighting ability when 'on' is top3 in the league).

And back to my original question, who do you think would be in a list of the hardest punchers in NHL history?

Did anyone catch the Godard vs. Orr tilt ?

Old
03-30-2006, 05:48 AM
Don Cherry*

Joey Kocur comes to mind when you talk about hard punches, Tony Twist as well.

Kocur played his last three or four years on reputation alone and got beaten by Hal Gill in Gills rookie year.

When it comes to playing a long time, adding offense, fighting everyone and doing an overall great job at it, I'll take Bob Probert.

Getting back to Colton Orr, we should have kept the guy. He added more to the team in his three minutes than stiffs like Leahy, Langfeld, Green, Blatny (snicker), Fitzgeritol, etc, etc have added all year.

The main thing, in "Sullys" eyes anyways, is that all the fourth liners play a soft, non-aggressive game remarkably similar to the way he played himself.

I think the results speak for themselves. It's called Bruins (snicker)

Old
03-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Taz#24

Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
They should have kept him based on his surname alone...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry
Joey Kocur comes to mind when you talk about hard punches, Tony Twist as well.

Kocur played his last three or four years on reputation alone and got beaten by Hal Gill in Gills rookie year.

When it comes to playing a long time, adding offense, fighting everyone and doing an overall great job at it, I'll take Bob Probert.

Getting back to Colton Orr, we should have kept the guy. He added more to the team in his three minutes than stiffs like Leahy, Langfeld, Green, Blatny (snicker), Fitzgeritol, etc, etc have added all year.

The main thing, in "Sullys" eyes anyways, is that all the fourth liners play a soft, non-aggressive game remarkably similar to the way he played himself.

I think the results speak for themselves. It's called Bruins (snicker)
I totally agree DC, this guy on your fourth line keeps the Sean AVERY's of the league honest. Why they waived him is a complete mystery to me but the again in the THORNTON deal, they traded a dollar for two quarters and a dime?

Old
03-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Pielsman

I wish Orr was still in the system too. MOC's biggest mistake was thinking that Orrs skating was good enough for the NHL this year, and it took him too long to figure out that wasnt the case. Then the boneheaded move of trying to have him clear waivers backfired big time.

If Orr never played all those early season games for Boston, he could have been working on his skating in Prov instead.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
I miss Orr too, and I wouldn't mind having a tougher team next season one bit. I'd give all 8 guys on our fourth line to have him back.

Godard used to be quite intimidating but he turtled against Komisarek recently, and that knocked him down a notch in my book. You don't turtle against a Hab that comes calling.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Ratty

Where is Orr now? Did the R's keep him?

Old
03-30-2006, 09:19 AM
8BostonRocker24

Hardest puncher or best fighter???

Hardest Puncher: (No Doubt) Scott Parker, The guy tries to take people's heads off
Best Fighter: Big George for The Oilers, He doesn't have a lot of power, but his jack-hammer style is very effective.

Old
03-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Neely08

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=235900

Old
03-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Tony Twist had the hardest punch I've seen. So hard it ended his career too soon.

Didn't see that fight, but the way you described it, makes me want to cry. We had the top fighter in Orr and now he is gone just like our top scorer who is doing his thing in SJ. What a disaster, and all because MOC wouldn't fire Sully. Two good players sacrificed for Sully

Old
03-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr
?
I still feel bad for your loss buddy. Stupid Bruins management.

Old
03-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz#24
I totally agree DC, this guy on your fourth line keeps the Sean AVERY's of the league honest. Why they waived him is a complete mystery to me but the again in the THORNTON deal, they traded a dollar for two quarters and a dime?
Two quarters and a dime seems like a bit much to me. I'd say we traded a dollar for two nickles and a penny.

Come to think of it, a penny is two much for Primeau because guys like him are a dime a dozen. (I'm sure I'll hear from the vast number of fans who overrate Primeau now as they refuse to call him what he is- "throw-in")

Old
03-30-2006, 05:15 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr
Wow.

First off, let me preface this by saying that Godard (a former Cane) is one of my favourite enforcers and I think... err thought... that he could be NHL heavyweight champ some day and his season was showing that this could very likely be the case after a win vs. Brashear Cairns and a solid draw vs. Laraque

Then he fought Orr before the Olympic break and had his nose shattered. Not popped out of place, or broken... but "shattered". He has not been the same since (see Gill or Boulton fight for evidence of this). Last night he had a chance to get back on track if he could avenge his loss to the Coal-train...

Godard ran Kasper with a jarring hit as Kasper had been running around popping guys early in the game. Orr doesn't stand for this and goes after a willing Godard -who pops Orr with a couple big shots. Orr eats them and BAM returns a shot that drops Godard on his back.

Now let me back up for a second.

Godard, in all of the WHL, AHL and NHL fights that I have watched, heard or read about, has never EVER been dropped by a punch. Sure he has been wrestled, or slipped before, but he has NEVER been dropped by a punch! The guy has a chin that makes Domi's look like it is made from dental-floss and plastic -by comparison.

Obviously Orr has not been in very many fights this year compared to other years, but the damage this guy is doing with his fists is unreal. Guys like Probie won alot of fights (obviously) but I don't think he had the punching-power of Orr. Kocur had the hands-or-cement-bags as well... but when he was fighting enforcers (generally) were smaller.

fwiw -the Rangers coaching staff (from what I have been reading) really seem to love Orr. He looks good with them (had 4hits in 4mins vs. Buffalo the other night) -but then again what do the Rangers staff know about coaching that Sullivan doesn't

Later in the game Erskine jumped Orr (Erskine got 2,2,5 and a 10) while Orr got 5 for a fight where he didn't throw a punch in. I miss Orr -he just goes out there and hits, hits and hits (his open-ice levelling of Satan last night was nice too). taking notes LaCotoure?

I wonder if the Bruins could get Godard for next year now that the Isles have Erskine (11fights) and Godard has looked lost here at the end of the year (look at fight card here ) as long as we keep him away from Orr he would be great in the black'n'gold.

Would you want to pick up Godard as a 12th/13th forward next year? I love the guys hitting game (and his fighting ability when 'on' is top3 in the league).

And back to my original question, who do you think would be in a list of the hardest punchers in NHL history?

Did anyone catch the Godard vs. Orr tilt ?
Why can't the Bruins get players like Orr?

Geesh, I'm still pissed about that one. Nothing like spending years developing and grooming a guy who was a total teamer - one of the rare sparkplugs the team probably had, only to give him away for nothing. Yet another in a long line of stupid moves made this season. Wait - make that the last, er, 7 seasons.

Part of the Master Plan I guess ...

Old
03-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Colt.45Orr

Fight is here btw boys...

Old
03-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24
Hardest puncher or best fighter???

Hardest Puncher: (No Doubt) Scott Parker, The guy tries to take people's heads off
Call me crazy but I think Parker is the most over-rated fighter in hockey. He tries to look all Hells-Angels, and don't get me wrong the guy is tough... but overrated as well I think.

Ya, of course he ''tries to take people's heads off'' -alot of enforcers do, but I don't see the resume that shows that he is succesful in doing the damage that Orr has in under only a dozen NHL fights.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Bri

Wow, Orr nailed him.

Hardest puncher I've seen? Gotta go with Twist.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:12 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Andrew Peters. Ask McGrattan

Old
03-30-2006, 11:14 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I wish the Bruins had kept Orr... I love watching his fights.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:17 PM
DOGSTARMAN

I'd say Orr might have the hardest punch right now. Cairns was up there but he's been bad and quiet this year - don't know what happened to him. Fedoruk has to be on the list.

Hardest punchers historically: Kocur of course. Larry Playfair. Clark Gillies. Rob Ray, lot of damage there. Tony Twist (but I discredit him for Barry Bonds reasons). Wendel Clark.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Roy G Biv*

Orr got pwned by McGrattan tonight. Good fight.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
Orr got pwned by McGrattan tonight. Good fight.
Orr looked completely gassed even before the fight got going. He should have told McGrattan to meet up later -but like the Brashear and even Strudwick fight, Orr was stupid and fought with nothing left in the tank.

On the flip side, McGrattan hit him with a few of his best shots and it didn't even buckle Orr.

They are now 1-1 and I think the rubber match will be a beaut. If I was McGrattan I would be worried cause he caught Orr with a couple very clean shots and it didn't even result in a knock-down. If Orr can drop Godard (who had never been dropped previously) than he can certainly tag-and bag McGrattan who has been dropped in a few fights these past 2 years...

Old
03-31-2006, 12:17 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Colt, I don't know if Orr dropped Godard straight up. They were flailing around and Godard was off balance. No question Orr caught him and sent him down, but Godard was off balance and that helped him down. I also think Godard is somewhat overrated, but that's no knock on Colton. I think he or Boogard are the best of these young enforcers right now, ahead of McGrattan.

Old
03-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Colt, I don't know if Orr dropped Godard straight up. They were flailing around and Godard was off balance. No question Orr caught him and sent him down, but Godard was off balance and that helped him down.
Watch it again. Looks like Godard had his feet squarely under him and then they buckle.

As for the McGrattan bout...Orr did looked gassed but held his own pretty well.

Old
03-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Matsi
got paws?

I think that Peters, Boogaard and McGrattan are the ones to fear the most of the young guys... Godard maybe as well and I've heard Stephen Peat makes cruel damage too... Hordichuk might not always come out on top and he's not a goon by any means, but man, the guy doesn't know fear...

Should Jonathan Tremblay ever make it to the NHL, he will be a nightmare come true even for those guys...

here are some Tremblay fights... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTSYt...earch=tremblay

Last edited by Matsi: 03-31-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old
03-31-2006, 01:05 PM
PurpleShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri
Watch it again. Looks like Godard had his feet squarely under him and then they buckle.

As for the McGrattan bout...Orr did looked gassed but held his own pretty well.
Orr probably landed the single best haymaker between the two of them. But all in all, McGrattan landed more of them.

I also saw that bout between Scott Thornton and Chris Gratton. I think it's pretty safe to say that Scott didn't fare quite as well as his cousin Joe did when he fought Gratton a few years back.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShamrock
Orr probably landed the single best haymaker between the two of them. But all in all, McGrattan landed more of them.

I also saw that bout between Scott Thornton and Chris Gratton. I think it's pretty safe to say that Scott didn't fare quite as well as his cousin Joe did when he fought Gratton a few years back.

Scott fought Josh Gratton...Joe thumped Chris if I recall correctly, but yeah, Scott didn't fare as well.

Closed Thread