HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Don't understand Grigorenko/Beauchemin moves

Old
06-26-2017, 10:39 PM
chessgoon

vCash: 500
Don't understand Grigorenko/Beauchemin moves

Help me understand this, folks. Why not sign Grigorenko and, if you think he's a bust, trade him for a fourth, fifth, or whatever pick you can get for him? Or, trade him for a similar prospect that had worn out his welcome somewhere. Why give up an asset for no reason? He was a 12 overall pick, for christ's sake. SOMEONE would have traded for him. It makes no sense. It's bad asset management. The same goes for Beauchemin. Even if he's basically done as a player, you gain nothing by buying him out. Let him sit in the press box and collect his millions. Injuries happen. You're paying the same amount to him no matter what, so keep him as an insurance policy at the very least.

chessgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 10:55 PM
CharlesPuck

They saved $1.5M with the Beauchemin contract. Nothing in salary cap room but in actual money in the bank.

I'm sure they tried to get a pick for Grigs rights and nobody offered anything. That guy is more than likely heading to the KHL, why would a team waste a pick on a player they won't ever see.

I know it looks bad but you can't always turn nothing into picks. You have to have actual assests to manage.

CharlesPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 10:57 PM
sethro109

Beauchemin probably doesn't think he's done as a player. Buying him out gives him a chance to play on another team. May have been a move the Joe actually did for him as a favor and by the way his agent was talking. One that Beauchimen didn't know of, or wanted. I also don't think having an angry Vet in the locker room is a good thing.

sethro109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 2405
Because they both suck and are replaceable plus no one wants them unless you have a used salesman of a GM that can sell junk and there are only a handful of those.

They need to do the same with some others like Comeau, Colborne, and Soderberg (not feasible yet but Soderberg should be a buyout candidate in a couple years). The more locker room turnover the better here.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:00 PM
Cypher
Vote Tom Kirkman!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgoon View Post
Help me understand this, folks. Why not sign Grigorenko and, if you think he's a bust, trade him for a fourth, fifth, or whatever pick you can get for him? Or, trade him for a similar prospect that had worn out his welcome somewhere. Why give up an asset for no reason? He was a 12 overall pick, for christ's sake. SOMEONE would have traded for him. It makes no sense. It's bad asset management. The same goes for Beauchemin. Even if he's basically done as a player, you gain nothing by buying him out. Let him sit in the press box and collect his millions. Injuries happen. You're paying the same amount to him no matter what, so keep him as an insurance policy at the very least.
Grigorenko's minimum RFA tender was 1.3 million. That's too much for a guy who's not skilled enough to be in the top6, and not smart enough/hard worker enough to play bottom 6/special teams. If Iggy only returned a conditional 4th, I doubt Grigorenko would get anything. As a comparison, Andrighetto only cost us pending UFA Martinesen in a trade. Not really worth crying over losing an asset like Martinsen in a Grigorenko trade. Plus, even Yakupov is a UFA. Draft position means nothing after so many years.

Beauchemin is a pylon. Too slow for today's game. By buying him out, you clear up one of the 50 roster spots, and you only pay him actual money 3 million over 2 years (1.5 million per) instead of 4.5 million this year. Caphit is 4.5 million per and doesn't change because it was a 35+ contract when signed. If injuries happen, rather a rookie take his place and get experience than Beauchemin being a pylon.

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:00 PM
dahrougem2

This isn't EA sports. You can't just trade players randomly for picks because you think he's worth a draft pick. Nobody was giving up anything of value for Mikhail Grigorenko because he's not a serviceable hockey player.

Ditto Francois Beauchemin. This team simply could not bring him back. He was the worst defensemen last season by a country mile. It wasn't even close. And yet, he probably thinks he was pretty decent. The voice and pull he has in that locker room was likely too much. The team needed to move on and it's for the best.

It's not bad asset management at all.

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:06 PM
AktionT4

That's too bad about Grigs... I was hoping a change of scenery would have had him more productive after how badly he was handled here in Buffalo.

AktionT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:06 PM
hughdreamz

I think Grigs proved that he is just not an NHL player. He plays half the game when he's actually trying. He wasted the talent he has and has not grown since being drafted. He is the definition of a bust. Don't need a bust taking up a roster spot.

As for Beauchemin, I mean the dude was flat out bad. He can't keep up with the current NHL. Dropping him so a younger inexperienced guy can learn is totally fine by me.

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:09 PM
BrickAHL
Terry Balboa

Iginla didn't get anything at the deadline and that is especially when teams buy into that veteran experience ********. Buying out Beauchemin saves $1.5 million in real dollars plus they got to protect more guys in the expansion draft. Also they get the benefit of not worrying about Beauchemin having to play with the extra addition of a young defenseman getting a NHL spot.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:11 PM
shadow1

Beauchemin was very bad last year, but it should be noted that unless he waived his NMC, the Avs would have been forced to protect him in the expansion draft.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Alex Jones
BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!

Grigorenko is horrible and I don't know why a team would want him. If he had a contract that was long term, I would totally support giving a team assets just to get rid of him, he is that bad.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:41 PM
agentblack

He's still young (supposedly) let him go to the KHL for a couple years to grow his game. Maybe he'll find that edge you need to play in the show. Cause thats the only thing holding him back, His IQ, and talent were never the issue.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:45 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
He's still young (supposedly) let him go to the KHL for a couple years to grow his game. Maybe he'll find that edge you need to play in the show. Cause thats the only thing holding him back, His IQ, and talent were never the issue.
It's not something that you find magically over time. Either you have it or you don't, and Grigorenko doesn't.

Old
06-26-2017, 11:56 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

I would have qualified Grigorenko just to keep his rights, and then trade them if he ups his stock in the KHL.

I still feel like he would do better if he wasn't jerked around so much. At times last season it felt like no matter what he did he couldn't get any credit. He had a two-goal game against Chicago, then was scratched two games later. The fact that he found a way to produce something despite being yo-yoed around all season on an awful team tells me that there is still something there.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:56 PM
chet1926

Grigs had no value, no one was going to give us anything for him. Especially at the 1.3M QO price tag. Grigorenko will be in Russia next season no one will sign him unless it's league minimum, which grigorenko won't sign.

Beauchemin sucked and was going to cost us big time in the expansion draft. He either needed to waive his NMC or hey bought out. Since he didn't waive he got bought out. Simple business move.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 12:00 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

I seriously wonder if they even asked Beauch to waive, or if they just bought him out because they didn't want him on the team anymore. In the end, it didn't even matter for the ED that he was bought out considering they spent the extra three protection spots on Grimaldi, Comeau and Nieto and Pickard was the one they lost anyway.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 12:15 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
I seriously wonder if they even asked Beauch to waive, or if they just bought him out because they didn't want him on the team anymore. In the end, it didn't even matter for the ED that he was bought out considering they spent the extra three protection spots on Grimaldi, Comeau and Nieto and Pickard was the one they lost anyway.
At least publicly it was acknowledged that Beauchemin wasn't asked to waive his NMC. I think they simply wanted him off the team.

Old
06-27-2017, 12:23 AM
Joe Sakic
#1 ROR Fan

They do not have any value.

If they could've been traded for assets they would have.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 01:03 AM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Uh, no. They would've had to protect Beauchemin in the expansion draft. That's a no-brainer. And Grigo had zero value as a trade chip.

Bottom line, you don't keep around two players who were a big part of the problem last year. You simply don't.

My only gripe is that Beauchemin should've been banished to the press box midway through the season, if not sooner. It was readily obvious he was done even before EJ went down and the bottom dropped out.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 06:07 AM
Ceremony
It was dawn

Quote:
Help me understand this, folks. Why not sign Grigorenko and, if you think he's a bust, trade him for a fourth, fifth, or whatever pick you can get for him? Or, trade him for a similar prospect that had worn out his welcome somewhere. Why give up an asset for no reason? He was a 12 overall pick, for christ's sake. SOMEONE would have traded for him. It makes no sense. It's bad asset management.
I trust you've made a similar post on the Blues board bemoaning them letting go of Yakupov. He was a FIRST overall! And he's leaving for nothing! What are they thinking?! Grigorenko is not an NHL player and never will be.

Quote:
The same goes for Beauchemin. Even if he's basically done as a player, you gain nothing by buying him out. Let him sit in the press box and collect his millions. Injuries happen. You're paying the same amount to him no matter what, so keep him as an insurance policy at the very least.
I don't know if you're an Avalanche fan or you watched much of the Avalanche last year but the team is better without these two players being here. Beauchemin was outplayed by an assortment of waiver pickups and AHL callups last year - there was an endless supply of bodies to replace and improve upon his contributions to the team in 16/17, that would be even easier when he's older and slower in 17/18.

The Avalanche on and off the ice are better without these two players. There are no positive aspects of retaining them for another year.

06-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Barberio is Orr 2.0 compared to last season's Frankie, that's why he was let go. Grigorenko is talented no doubt, he just doesn't have it in him to fight, no matter what the fight might be.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 07:15 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
I would have qualified Grigorenko just to keep his rights, and then trade them if he ups his stock in the KHL.

I still feel like he would do better if he wasn't jerked around so much. At times last season it felt like no matter what he did he couldn't get any credit. He had a two-goal game against Chicago, then was scratched two games later. The fact that he found a way to produce something despite being yo-yoed around all season on an awful team tells me that there is still something there.
and then he takes you to arbitration and you're stuck with him for next season.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
and then he takes you to arbitration and you're stuck with him for next season.
I doubt he'd go to arb, he'd probably sign so quickly Joe's head would spin. And then we'd be wasting 1.3mil on a guy with an energy and drive of a decomposing corpse.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 07:27 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I doubt he'd go to arb, he'd probably sign so quickly Joe's head would spin. And then we'd be wasting 1.3mil on a guy with an energy and drive of a decomposing corpse.
Either way you're stuck with a guy you don't want.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 07:34 AM
tucker3434

Neither are any good, and nobody is trading anything to get them. Getting rid of them is half the battle but replacing them with better players is the other, much more difficult, half. I am not confident.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote