HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Line combos for the 17\18 season

Old
07-07-2017, 05:10 PM
McDrai
Jesse P for Prez

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Maroon McDavid Strome
Lucic Drai Slepy
Jokinen RNH Pulju
Khaira Letestu Kassian

That be my lines to start. Spread the offense. Start pulju with easy comp on the 3rd line with his mentor. Strome gets McDavids RW due to experience over the other options. Drai line has worked well before. 4th line can play hard and score a bit. I like it.
I like these lines as well, except I would have Caggiula in Khaira's spot

McDrai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 05:28 PM
FlameChampion

vCash: 587
Really liked the Jokinen signing.

Kinda wish they had someone who was more of a reliable center. Still think the #3C is a weakness unless they running McDavid > Drai > RNH > Letestu down the middle.

I think they are done at forward now. They need to see what they have in training camp. They have to see how players like JP, Cagguila, Khaira, Slepshev, etc perform. Even Yamamoto, I know the guy is small but hes not that much younger than JP. Personally cant see him on the roster, but hes confident and he might show something, you never know.

Forwards
1) McDavid
2) Draitsatil
3) RNH
4) Lucic
5) Maroon
6) Strome
7) Kassian
8) Letestu
9) Jokinen
10)
11)
12)
---
13)
14)

Basically 4-5 spots. Have Cagguila, Slepshev, Puljujarvi, Pakarinen, Khaira, Rattie, Yamamoto, Malone, Laleggia, Gamba etc to pick from.

Think Cagguila, Slepshev have spots pretty much guaranteed unless they have disastrous training camps.

Puljujarvi will get every opportunity to hold down a spot.

Puljujarvi, Pakarinen, Khaira probably get to start the season. Could get sent down if they dissapoint.

Rattie, Yamamoto, Malone, Laleggia, Gamba etc could impress.

At the end of the day we have competition, which is a good thing. If players dont come prepared to training camp, they might not be on the team.

Last edited by FlameChampion: 07-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.
FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 08:32 PM
LMFAO

vCash: 500
I like the idea of a sheltered line of

Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Jet Walters

I think I would do this for 5vs5

Maroon McDavid Strome
Lucic RNH Slepyshev
Jokinen Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Caggiula Letestu Kassian

The top 3 lines would see similar ES minutes and you'd obviously still load up the PP, but this creates a matchup nightmare for the opposition. If we're down a goal in the 3rd swap Strome and Drai.

I love our forward depth chart at the moment. Anyone save maybe Letestu can move up or down the lineup depending on who's going on a given night.

Jet Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 12:41 AM
LTIR

vCash: 150
Okay I will be that guy!

Jokinen-McDavid-Puljujarvi
(Clean slate where Lucic will get first dibs on top line.. I think Jussi will steal it... Pulju will out perform Strome for RW spot)
Lucic-Draisiatl - Strome
Maroon-RNH-Kassian (Maroon+Kass on a line will be a nightmare for opponents)
Slepy-Letestu-Caggiula
Khaira

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 12:52 AM
Ninety7
go oil go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Walters View Post
I think I would do this for 5vs5

Maroon McDavid Strome
Lucic RNH Slepyshev
Jokinen Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Caggiula Letestu Kassian

The top 3 lines would see similar ES minutes and you'd obviously still load up the PP, but this creates a matchup nightmare for the opposition. If we're down a goal in the 3rd swap Strome and Drai.

I love our forward depth chart at the moment. Anyone save maybe Letestu can move up or down the lineup depending on who's going on a given night.
I like this

Ninety7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 01:12 AM
Ballz

Still a fan of icing the best 1st line possible, which is Draisaitl at 1RW. They can always be split up if the opposition has a checking line/d-matchup they can't overpower and the other lines are failing capitalize on lower quality defenders. Depth is nice, but not at the expense of icing the best line possible.

L1 Overpower
Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl

L2 2way
Lucic - RNH - Slepyshev

L3 softer minutes secondary scoring
Jokinen - Strome - Puljujarvi/Pakarinen

L4 - bit of everything
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian

PB Pakarinen

Admittedly know little about Strome. Sounds like his speed is better suited for centre vs Jokinen.

Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 01:19 AM
Matt19Oilers

For me, I'd like the following:

Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Some rationale:
-I think it is a waste of time to have RNH at 3C
-I don't really like Lucic-RNH as a duo, so I have moved RNH to RW, and played Draisaitl at 2C. The two could still be switched back I suppose, as I am not sure how RNH will fare as a winger
-I liked the Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev combo in the playoffs
-it seems like Strome will be played at C to start out with, and it makes sense to play Jokinen as Puljujarvi's line mate, so that seemed like an obvious 3rd line combo to me
-I'd like to put Caggiula higher in the lineup, but at this point, wouldn't slot him in place of Jokinen/Maroon/Lucic, so perhaps he could snag a RW spot in the top 9, but for now he is my 4LW

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:17 PM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
For me, I'd like the following:

Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Some rationale:
-I think it is a waste of time to have RNH at 3C
-I don't really like Lucic-RNH as a duo, so I have moved RNH to RW, and played Draisaitl at 2C. The two could still be switched back I suppose, as I am not sure how RNH will fare as a winger
-I liked the Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev combo in the playoffs
-it seems like Strome will be played at C to start out with, and it makes sense to play Jokinen as Puljujarvi's line mate, so that seemed like an obvious 3rd line combo to me
-I'd like to put Caggiula higher in the lineup, but at this point, wouldn't slot him in place of Jokinen/Maroon/Lucic, so perhaps he could snag a RW spot in the top 9, but for now he is my 4LW

These are the lines I'd role. It ups RNH's value while keeping Strome's down hopefully

bobbythebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:05 PM
edmoil3

Maroon 97 _____
Lucic Leon Strome
Jokinen Nuge Slepy
Drake Letestu Kassian
Pak JJK

edmoil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:48 PM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
TM gets his wish. Pumping Nuge's tires like Pavelski. Best thing is if he has a good season, the trade potential should be significant

Old
07-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
I like the idea of a sheltered line of

Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi
This has the potential to justify Nuge's contract and not be a mess defensively.

But it doesn't let Nuge be a "shutdown" guy. Not that I ever thought much of that. Most defensive success in the playoffs was just that. Defense. As in the defensemen

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Hopelessoilfan
Larsson fanclub 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
That fourth line makes no sense. Why are we bringing in JJ to be a fourth liner when he's more proven as a top 6 player than any of our other wingers?

Switch him and drake and I think that's what I'd go with

Hopelessoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:27 AM
Spawn

So a soft playmaking center with zero board game who has broken 20 goals once in his career, a player whose only offensive play is carry the puck through the neutral zone and feather a weak wrister or dump it in from the blue line and peel off for a line change. I thought Nuge struggled with Hall because everyone said Nuge needed to be the puck carrier on his line? Now people want to play him on a line with the best puck carrier in the world? Do people seriously want to watch McDavid cutting through the neutral zone waiting for a pass only to have Nuge carry it through the neutral zone, over the blue line and dump it in and go for a change?

Of course I could be wrong. Who knows, maybe he'll score 30 and be a great fit with Connor. I just don't see it. But then again, I haven't seen what everyone else has seen with Nuge since his 2nd season.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:42 AM
EdmontonExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So a soft playmaking center with zero board game who has broken 20 goals once in his career, a player whose only offensive play is carry the puck through the neutral zone and feather a weak wrister or dump it in from the blue line and peel off for a line change.
TMac has to be the worst coach I've ever seen at evaluating where and how to play his players in a way that best suits their strengths. He got away with it in San Jose because Thornton could collect 60 assists playing with a fire hydrant and Marleau/Pavelski were equally capable at any forward position, but the rest of their lineup was always a mess.

If RNH even starts a preseason game at wing ahead of a guy who just scored 77 points there, he'll have officially demonstrated that an actual koala has more cerebral material than Coach Koala.

EdmontonExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:48 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonExpress View Post
TMac has to be the worst coach I've ever seen at evaluating where and how to play his players in a way that best suits their strengths. He got away with it in San Jose because Thornton could collect 60 assists playing with a fire hydrant and Marleau/Pavelski were equally capable at any forward position, but the rest of their lineup was always a mess.

If RNH even starts a preseason game at wing ahead of a guy who just scored 77 points there, he'll have officially demonstrated that an actual koala has more cerebral material than Coach Koala.
What? Drai didn't get 77 points with McDavid

Are you forgetting his points at C last year and with Hall the year before?

When was the last time you saw Malkin and Crosby as linemates?

TM is all about pairs, that is the smart play till they prove him otherwise

Old
07-09-2017, 03:57 AM
McStimperi

We have crazy depth right now on fwd. And a boatload of centers to shuffle things around.

Lucic-McDavid-Strome
Jokinen-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Maroon-RNH-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian
Caggiula

McStimperi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 07:17 AM
GameChanger

I do hope, not just for Pulju's sake, but also for the teams sake that Jesse has at least one offensively good line mate. Last year he did well with players such as Maroon, Drai and of course McDavid, but had a more difficult time when playing with Caggiula and Pouliot. Maybe this year he's good enough to create more free space for himself, and often these youngsters (e.g. Laine) need good players around to get the most out of their tools.

The good thing is that in this year's team there are several good options, but I'm not sure about Caggiula - Strome - JP. Well maybe Caggiula developed enough in the 2nd part and is now offensively better than last fall, when I mainly watched games.

GameChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 08:27 AM
shoop

vCash: 78
This is what I would start with:

Maroon-McDavid-Nuge
Lucic-Drai-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Potentially Maroon and Lucic could switch spots.

I think that's a really solid forward lineup.

The Oilers only need another 4/5 D an upgrade at backup goalie and they are looking pretty solid to start the season.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 08:33 AM
smokersarejokers

Yeah that 3rd line scares me as well.

Moving Jokinen up with Strome and Puljujarvi makes sense to me. Jussi can take key faceoffs and help defensively.

Caggiula and Kassian together on the 4th line could provide a lot of energy.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 08:48 AM
GameChanger

I haven't seen Slepy enough to say how much he brings in addition to the points, but I know that JJ does a lot. It's really strange to me if e.g. Slepy is ahead of JJ or even Pulju. Last season Slepy had 13 points in 53 games and the year before one point in 11 games, while JJ had 28 points in 69 games and 64 in 87 games the year before. On paper JJ should actually be ahead of players like Maroon, too, but I guess it's a matter of taste.

I also think JP should be ahead of Slepy, as he has clearly more potential and even now better numbers. For JP the figure 8 points in 28 games doesn't do quite justice, as in several games he played three minutes or so in the 4th line without a real chance to score. I didn't watch Slepy enough but I didn't see many (or any) games like that for him. I could be wrong in this one, though.

Old
07-09-2017, 08:53 AM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Okay I will be that guy!

Jokinen-McDavid-Puljujarvi
(Clean slate where Lucic will get first dibs on top line.. I think Jussi will steal it... Pulju will out perform Strome for RW spot)
Lucic-Draisiatl - Strome
Maroon-RNH-Kassian (Maroon+Kass on a line will be a nightmare for opponents)
Slepy-Letestu-Caggiula
Khaira
I would really like to see that first line. Didn't post it but I'm not quite that optimistic about Puljujarvi's off-season. I hope you are right.

Will have to see how they perform in training camp, but maybe Nuge and Strome switch spots.

Still prefer Pakarinen to Khaira as the 13th winger.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:00 AM
GameChanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
I would really like to see that first line. Didn't post it but I'm not quite that optimistic about Puljujarvi's off-season. I hope you are right.

Will have to see how they perform in training camp, but maybe Nuge and Strome switch spots.

Still prefer Pakarinen to Khaira as the 13th winger.
I would love to see McDavid and Pulju together for at least 5-10 games, if not at the start of the season then later on if Pulju seems ready. Last year McDavid had 10 games without scoring goals, while he scored two in the first game with Pulju and Lucic. Those four games Pulju played at 1ppg rate without PP time and with one point robbed. If that combo worked well this year it could give another important tool for the team. And if not you can always move Pulju back down.

Old
07-09-2017, 09:19 AM
MikeFLB

Maroon-McDavid-Slepyshev
Lucic-Draisaitl-RNH
Caguilla-Letestu-Kassian

MikeFLB is offline   Reply With Quote