HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A better way to handle the Delay of Game penalties

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2006, 07:11 AM
mazzinov

vCash: 500
A better way to handle the Delay of Game penalties

We have all complained at one time or another about the delay of game penalties for when a player shoots the puck, accidentaly or not, out of play in their own end. I think there is a way they can still enfore the rule, but not always make it a penalty. Obviously if a player intentionally then it would still be called a penalty.

Now I propose that if a player accidentaly shoots it out, why not instead of giving a two minute minor, why not enforce the same rules as with icing? The team cannot change the players on the ice, and they have the face off in the defensive end. I mean 90% of the time it looks accidental, because the player is just trying to get the puck out of the zone.

This would still penalize the offending team, but would eliminate the useless penalty for accidents. The rule should also be changed for goalies, but its been like that for years and probably never will change.

Thoughts?

Old
03-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Jerry Garcia lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1
Now I propose that if a player accidentaly shoots it out, why not instead of giving a two minute minor, why not enforce the same rules as with icing? The team cannot change the players on the ice, and they have the face off in the defensive end. I mean 90% of the time it looks accidental, because the player is just trying to get the puck out of the zone.

Thoughts?

I think you'd start seeing a whole lot more "accidents" if the player wasn't given a minor for a puck going into the stands.

The face off is usually in the defensive zone anyway; Not being able to change players would be a small price to pay for getting a stoppage.

Isn't the NHL trying create just the opposite? It gets pretty intense for the fans when a team is having all sorts of problems trying to get the puck out and the team on the attack is relentless in their pressure.

I like the rule.

Old
03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Garcia lives
I think you'd start seeing a whole lot more "accidents" if the player wasn't given a minor for a puck going into the stands.
Not true. How many intentional icings do you see during a game? A LOT LESS.

Old
03-30-2006, 08:54 AM
YungGunner94

hate that stupid rule..creates unneccesary penalties and in many cases changes the complexion of the game...either make it a judgement call by the refs, or the idea by the original poster which isnt bad at all

Old
03-30-2006, 09:19 AM
beepeearr
@beepeearr

Send a message via Yahoo to beepeearr Send a message via Skype™ to beepeearr
I don't think I've ever once complained about it, but then again I've only seen the Stars called for it once or twice. It's not like there is whole lot of room for debate here, you don't want to get called, don't send the puck out of play. You don't want to get called for "accidentaly" sending the puck out of play, then don't make the risky play of trying to flip it off the high glass. And only calling intentional plays would just be a joke, we already know several members of the league are oscar worthy in their acting skills, and that many of the refs are so unpredictable on what is and isn't a penalty.

The TSN article was a joke. Imagine an even more disturbing image, it's the last 5 minutes of the game your already down one man, and your defenseman accidentally sends the puck out of play, and you go two men down, because the ref decides it was intentional (or as a make up call, since we all know most of them do it), the other team scores the cup winning goal, but wait a minute, the winning team sent the puck out of play at least 5 times earlier in the game and didn't get called once.

That would be a horrible way to lose the cup in my opinion. I'd rather se it called everytime, then see it called wrong even once. Besides all you have to do, to not get called is not send it out of play.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:40 AM
incawg

The current rule is TERRRIBLE; it makes no sense at all. I cringe every time a team gets called for it - whether it is my team or the opposing team. I completely agree that the referees need to have discretion to decide whether it is intentional or not. Preventing a team from doing a line change is about the most severe "penalty" that should be placed on a team for accidentally shooting the puck out.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Street Hawk

They've never called it in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepeearr
I don't think I've ever once complained about it, but then again I've only seen the Stars called for it once or twice. It's not like there is whole lot of room for debate here, you don't want to get called, don't send the puck out of play. You don't want to get called for "accidentaly" sending the puck out of play, then don't make the risky play of trying to flip it off the high glass. And only calling intentional plays would just be a joke, we already know several members of the league are oscar worthy in their acting skills, and that many of the refs are so unpredictable on what is and isn't a penalty.

The TSN article was a joke. Imagine an even more disturbing image, it's the last 5 minutes of the game your already down one man, and your defenseman accidentally sends the puck out of play, and you go two men down, because the ref decides it was intentional (or as a make up call, since we all know most of them do it), the other team scores the cup winning goal, but wait a minute, the winning team sent the puck out of play at least 5 times earlier in the game and didn't get called once.

That would be a horrible way to lose the cup in my opinion. I'd rather se it called everytime, then see it called wrong even once. Besides all you have to do, to not get called is not send it out of play.
Dave Hodge is a dinosaur... Please, in the last dozen years, how many times has a team gotten a delay of game penalty when a player shot the puck over the glass? Hardly ever...

Players have had the entire season to be more careful about playing the puck off the glass. It's something players, especially dmen have to practice.

The benefit of the rule is that it forces players to play the puck off the glass lower, which gives the opposition a chance to keep the puck in at the blueline and thus generate a scoring chance.

That's the whole purpose of the rule, to keep the play going. No more easy way out for players. In the 70 odd games that each team has played, how many times has a team been called for the penalty this year? Maybe 10, or a dozen tops? That's about 1 every 6 or 7 games. Pretty good IMO.

In fact, I'm the opposite, I'd like to see the NHL extend the rule when it comes to freezing the puck along the boards in the skates of the players. They should have to play the puck or get a delay of game penalty. Same with a player falling on top of the puck and getting a whistle. Unless the player was knocked down on top of the puck, that player should have to get up off the puck and keep the play going.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:56 AM
thenextone

The NHL has to be more serious about it. They have to call Delay of games on goalies who cover up the puck for no reason. They do sometimes, but its not consistent.

They should have a delay of game for an intentional icing as well.

Old
03-30-2006, 10:19 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1
We have all complained at one time or another about the delay of game penalties for when a player shoots the puck, accidentaly or not, out of play in their own end. I think there is a way they can still enfore the rule, but not always make it a penalty. Obviously if a player intentionally then it would still be called a penalty.

This would still penalize the offending team, but would eliminate the useless penalty for accidents. The rule should also be changed for goalies, but its been like that for years and probably never will change.

Thoughts?
I had this same discussion with some friends & that was our consensus as well. I like this idea a lot.

Old
03-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Street Hawk

New rule is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez
I had this same discussion with some friends & that was our consensus as well. I like this idea a lot.
You guys are looking too much at the worst case scenario. Go back to before the lockout and I can tell you that practically every game, a puck would be shot out of the defensive zone into the crowd.

Now, that happens to a team once every few games, which is a lot better than having it occur a couple of times per game.

Seriously, if you have any tape of games in the last few years go and watch a few and count the number of times a puck is shot into the crowd. Today, I'd say well over half of the games played in the NHL, there is no delay of game penalty. So, the rule is having the desired effect of keeping the play going and dmen are learning to flip the puck high out of the zone instead of trying to bank it off the glass.

For 1 penalty call every few games, I'll take the new rule. Too much pressure on the refs to make a delay of game call, especially late in the game. They would do it in the first 2 periods, but I seriously doubt a ref would call it in the 3rd period of in OT.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:00 AM
missinthejets

the refs have a tough enough times without having to use their judgement, I am 100% opposed to giving them more leeway in terms of judgement. When players are shooting at the net they can accurately hit that, they should be able to bank the puck off the glass without too much trouble if they try.

Closed Thread