HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Leon Draisaitl Contract Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2017, 05:26 PM
MCDAVIDISH

vCash: 50
Trade Draisaitl and sign Thornton to a deal that won't strap us and will allow us space to add depth. Use the assets we get for Drai to add depth. Now we won't be so screwed going forward with the cap and have plenty of assets to maneuver.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
It's not going to happen, but if a team really wants to pay him 9.8 - the number that they should stop matching - I'm all for 4 first round picks. Pretty easy to turn around and put together a package for Matt Duchene with some of that.
You would never get neat the talent with those picks unless the other team didnt make the playoffs.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Shathar

vCash: 500
Drai needs a bridge deal. Again, its the threat of an offer sheet that is affecting the narrative.

We already tried signing 3 bozos long term @6 million a pop a few years ago without bridging them.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:31 PM
KCC

It would really suck if a team swoops in and offers something stupidly high like 11m. Get it done, Chia!

Old
06-28-2017, 05:32 PM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Cap hit above $7.5M is unreasonable and above $8.5M is insane. The threat of an offer sheet would be unpleasant, but I'm okay with negotiating throughout the summer to get a reasonable number.

I wouldn't resort to pushing for a bridge...yet.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Consultant

I still don't believe the McDavid speculation.
Connor should get either 9.7mil per year or 12.125 per year (97 million), it's hockey numerology matters. It's plenty of money either way. Win cups.
Drai should get 7 mil over 8 years, or 6 mil over five years.

Old
rickysusedsht

If he wants a boat load if money ...trade him we can only afford one mega star on this team.if mcd is in that 13 mil range and dri wants 8-9 mil then i say see ya.seems to be getting out of control and how do the other players feel about the two boys eating more than there share of the pie? Not a good locker room after that.

Old
walktheboulavard

Like Drai a lot and I am not opposed to guy getting his fair market value but just curious, why such a discrepancy between him and say, a guy like Mark Scheifele? I don't think Drai is better than Scheifele.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Connor should get either 9.7mil per year or 12.125 per year (97 million), it's hockey numerology matters. It's plenty of money either way. Win cups.
We've got Pierre Lebrun and Elliot Friedman talking about some pretty specific details of the contract. It's locked up. They're just waiting until July 1 before they can officially announce it.

You're living in denial if you don't believe it.

I agree with you on Draisaitl. But I don't have any faith in Chiarelli's ability to negotiate this deal.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by walktheboulavard View Post
Like Drai a lot and I am not opposed to guy getting his fair market value but just curious, why such a discrepancy between him and say, a guy like Mark Scheifele? I don't think Drai is better than Scheifele.
Exactly.
Mcdavid should be able to pull up Leon's stats without pulling up his salary, if not we are doomed, Mcdavid is going to pump the stats of everyone he plays with, you can't just add a couple mil on everyone's contract.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:36 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Honestly, I don't understand how he could possibly get anything more than Tarasenko's $7.5m x 8 years.

He's just not that established. And he's probably my favorite player on the Oilers.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:37 PM
Spawn

Quote:
The discrepancy is that coming out of his ELC Scheifele put up 61 points and that's when he signed his deal. Draisaitl just put up 77 and was top 10 in league scoring.

Old
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDAVIDISH View Post
Let them have him
no way. You match the sheet and trade him before McDavid's extension kicks in next summer

Old
Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
We've got Pierre Lebrun and Elliot Friedman talking about some pretty specific details of the contract. It's locked up. They're just waiting until July 1 before they can officially announce it.

You're living in denial if you don't believe it.

I agree with you on Draisaitl. But I don't have any faith in Chiarelli's ability to negotiate this deal.
Think your right, me just wishful thinking...

Old
06-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Consultant

Quote:
The discrepancy is that coming out of his ELC Scheifele put up 61 points and that's when he signed his deal. Draisaitl just put up 77 and was top 10 in league scoring.
But McDavid should be/ apparently is going to be getting paid for that 16 point discrepancy, surely he was the devine creator for well more than just 16 drai points.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:42 PM
walktheboulavard

Quote:
Yeah but didn't Scheifele play less games and do it as the number 1 catalyst of the Jets offense.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Yeah but didn't Scheifele play less games and do it as the main catalyst of the Jets offense.
Yep he did. But that is why there is going to be a discrepancy.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:45 PM
LTIR

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Did we believe the Hall for Larsson swap? I still dont believe Eberle for Strome... sadly this 13. Whatever is happening fo real.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:46 PM
LTIR

vCash: 150
Quote:
I would take Barkov over Draisaitl in a heartbeat!

Old
06-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
It's not going to happen, but if a team really wants to pay him 9.8 - the number that they should stop matching - I'm all for 4 first round picks. Pretty easy to turn around and put together a package for Matt Duchene with some of that.
I agree. Drai is a great #2 for a 1-2 punch. Without that #1 punch, is he really worth 9.8 millions and 4 years of your future draft picks? A team could set their franchise back a half decade by offering something ridiculous.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Macblender

Quote:
Yep he did. But that is why there is going to be a discrepancy.
True but I think you could argue Scheifele was the best player on his line. Not a 2nd by a large margin.

I look at SK13's stats on page 1 and really question just how much Drai is worth in dollar figures ( I do not question he is worth a lot to this team). If he isnt driving the offence do people honestly feel it is warranted to use Tarasenko/Gaudreau as comparables?

I see them as absolute caps for what he could be worth and then I discount back a little due to Drai not being the driver they were on a line.

People may argue playoffs but he had a 5 point game and shot 27.3% in the playoffs which he is unlikely to repeat again that is the shooting percentage.

So just overall I think we should try and bridge him for 3 or so years and make him drive his own line and earn a 8-9M contract. If he does I will be so damn happy I just do not want to pay a person that much because they played well with one of the best players in the world and had some really good luck in the playoff (he was beasting though).

Old
06-28-2017, 05:52 PM
J4M13M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaabHart View Post
What do we do if someone sends him a 9.6M offersheet, worth 2 1st's, a 2nd, and 3rd?
Giggle a bit, because there's no way he signs that. But if he does, match before he changes his mind.

OS compensation is based on the total value of the contract, divided by a maximum of 5 years. Call it the Shea Weber Rule.

So, a 7-year deal with OS compensation of 9.6 Million works out to just over 6.75 Million a season.

1. No way a team offers 9.6 Million for 5 years. if they're offering crazy money, they'll want the full 7 year term, so the compensation would easily bump up to 4 firsts. No team that's close to contending has the cap room to offer 9 million over 7 seasons, and no team that's a few pieces away is giving up 4 firsts.
2. no way Draisaitl signs an offer sheet for a full-term deal that's less than 7 million a year. If he was content with 7 million a season, the deal would (and possibly could) already be done.

So, like I said, if the hypothetical offer sheet was signed with compensation at 9.6 million, the Oilers match, thank the other team, and dance a little jig.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:53 PM
GMofOilers

If anyone has been following along with this the last 6 months they would understand that the signings were going to be for alot.

They have been talking on NHL radio that if Chia could get Drai and McDavid signed for under 20 it would be a criminal steal.

Its the going rate folks.

Old
06-28-2017, 05:56 PM
walktheboulavard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
I would take Barkov over Draisaitl in a heartbeat!
I don't know about Barkov, but I would most definitely take Scheifele.

Old
06-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4M13M View Post
Giggle a bit, because there's no way he signs that. But if he does, match before he changes his mind.

OS compensation is based on the total value of the contract, divided by a maximum of 5 years. Call it the Shea Weber Rule.

So, a 7-year deal with OS compensation of 9.6 Million works out to just over 6.75 Million a season.
Are you missing something here with your math? Is it 9.6x5/7?

Closed Thread