HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports aka Public Apology to Gerardo Parra Thread XXXI

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2017, 05:47 PM
  #76
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 6,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
If people can sit through a NFL game, they can sit through a soccer match.

David Dahl just hit a HR in A-ball which led to me looking up CarGo's stats and then this http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=21,a I always wanted Tulo and CarGo to carry the Rockies when they're great, but two are having their worst seasons of their careers. Sad stuff
I always found the soccer boring motif really odd for a country that loves baseball and football.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:14 PM
  #77
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
i dont think we love baseball much anymore - a least not as much as we used to

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:24 PM
  #78
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 6,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
i dont think we love baseball much anymore - a least not as much as we used to
Maybe the collective conscious is distracted now more than we used to when it was the one and only sport but 2004-2016 were the highest attended MLB seasons in history. Yes there's more teams and more games but still the baseball is dying tagline seems to be wrong.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 12:59 AM
  #79
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs
 
McMetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 500
Football is very boring if you don't understand the game or have any investment in the outcome. The rules are extremely complicated too, and every play has implications for strategy that may not be readily apparent even if you understand the basic rules. I can totally understand why somebody would find it stupid and repetitive. I grew up watching it with my dad and learning all of the rules and strategies, so it's interesting to me, but even then, it's hard to enjoy football for me unless I have a reason to cheer for or against one of the teams involved.

In soccer, the rules are simple and easy to understand, but there are too many players on the field, and it turns into a chess match of probing the other team for weaknesses. Plus, it boggles the mind that professional players can miss the goal that often when it's almost literally the size of the broad side of a barn.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 01:31 AM
  #80
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 19,636
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltySkywalker View Post
Disgusted by this comment. Fed FTW. Although Cilic beat him in the US finals...



I've followed his career very closely since he started coming up through the ranks and he is playing just as well as he ever has...at 35 years of age! The man is just such a beast I don't know how anyone could hate on him. No chance Nadal ever catches him in Slams, especially if he wins this one, IMO. I always knew the top guns couldn't hold onto their reigns as long as Fed, particularly Nadal. He's damn good when he's on but his type of game I always knew would break him down eventually. Let's go Fed!!!
He didn't beat him in the US Finals. He beat Nishikori there, he got past Roger in the SF.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 02:16 AM
  #81
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican
 
Pokecheque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
No, baseball is definitely not dying. If any major American sport took a step back it was the NFL, and with good reason--the product stinks. They've got a long, looooong ways to go before they're actually in any trouble but this last season proved that football isn't as invincible as everyone thinks.

Baseball was seemingly in trouble for a while there with talks of contraction and what not. But they didn't and are none the worse for wear.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 03:32 AM
  #82
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 6,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Football is very boring if you don't understand the game or have any investment in the outcome. The rules are extremely complicated too, and every play has implications for strategy that may not be readily apparent even if you understand the basic rules. I can totally understand why somebody would find it stupid and repetitive. I grew up watching it with my dad and learning all of the rules and strategies, so it's interesting to me, but even then, it's hard to enjoy football for me unless I have a reason to cheer for or against one of the teams involved.

In soccer, the rules are simple and easy to understand, but there are too many players on the field, and it turns into a chess match of probing the other team for weaknesses. Plus, it boggles the mind that professional players can miss the goal that often when it's almost literally the size of the broad side of a barn.
Soccer and hockey's biggest weaknesses are that you have to sacrifice defense for offfense. We see it in international hockey when Latvia sits back and traps the whole game or in the game the other night Jamaica had no other intention other than playing defense. The nature of the game means you go forward and leave vulnerabilities at the back.

By contrast most American sports defense and offense are completely separated from each other. In football you have two different teams. In baseball you have completely different roles. Basketball is at least close but with the game the way it is it's mostly exchanging half court sets.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 08:59 AM
  #83
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
meh - all these sports pale in comparison to.....


Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 09:12 AM
  #84
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokecheque View Post
Baseball was seemingly in trouble for a while there with talks of contraction and what not. But they didn't and are none the worse for wear.
When Tim Tebow makes the Mets, baseball attendance will work itself out and become the most popular sport in America

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 11:13 AM
  #85
quesosauce
Registered User
 
quesosauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
after that, we teach the tebow to skate...

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 01:15 PM
  #86
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 6,268
vCash: 500
Can someone explain the Tebow phenomenon to me. I feel like I've completely missed that boat

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 03:06 PM
  #87
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Can someone explain the Tebow phenomenon to me. I feel like I've completely missed that boat
There's a huge Christian population in the US, and Tebow is a devout Christian. Probably the most religious athlete there is out there in the US.

He's also had a lot of success at Florida so he has a very strong following there. Combine the fact that he played in the South and the South typically has a lot more conservative Christians and you've got a megastar.

I'm not a big Tebow fan myself, but I can say that I know some parents who have a little girl with significant spinal cord injuries. On his day off Tim took her family on a private jet to a football game. It's stuff like that which gives him so much support. Off the field he is one of the most generous human beings there is, and it doesn't seem to be just because it's "in his contract".

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:18 AM
  #88
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 6,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
There's a huge Christian population in the US, and Tebow is a devout Christian. Probably the most religious athlete there is out there in the US.

He's also had a lot of success at Florida so he has a very strong following there. Combine the fact that he played in the South and the South typically has a lot more conservative Christians and you've got a megastar.

I'm not a big Tebow fan myself, but I can say that I know some parents who have a little girl with significant spinal cord injuries. On his day off Tim took her family on a private jet to a football game. It's stuff like that which gives him so much support. Off the field he is one of the most generous human beings there is, and it doesn't seem to be just because it's "in his contract".
I remember him from Florida but he was a terrible NFL player and seems to be a below average A level minor league baseball player.
Now I don't doubt he's probably a good guy but just seems weird to me why he's so famous.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:22 AM
  #89
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
He was extremely famous before the NFL. College football in the South is gigantic. His following didn't care about his NFL success because he was such a college legend.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 12:18 PM
  #90
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican
 
Pokecheque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I remember him from Florida but he was a terrible NFL player and seems to be a below average A level minor league baseball player.
Now I don't doubt he's probably a good guy but just seems weird to me why he's so famous.
You must not follow College Football too closely. You think fans are wacky at the pro level, you should check out the lengths some go for their alma mater.

Heath Shuler had kids named after him. A booster paid insane amounts of money to hang a gigantic banner with Joey Harrington's likeness on the side of a NYC skyscraper.

Now, ramp that hype up by X1000 and you might get a rough idea of Tebowmania.

And it's not like he didn't accomplish anything at the NFL level. Rightly or wrongly, he's credited with pulling the Broncos out of their worst stretch in recent memory. The team went from a better, but more boring QB in Captain Neckbeard to Tebow whose appearance coincided with the Denver defense suddenly becoming dominant. And hey, he threw the winning TD pass to win a playoff game against the Steelers, which is way more than guys like Shuler and Harrington can say.

I'm still absolutely befuddled as to why Jacksonville didn't try him out. They literally had nothing to lose.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 12:23 PM
  #91
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 19,636
vCash: 50
They had something to lose. Gabbert is a better player than he is, and the team was looking to be trending upwards, why get a distraction that is basically a 3rd stringer at best?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 12:35 PM
  #92
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican
 
Pokecheque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
They had something to lose. Gabbert is a better player than he is, and the team was looking to be trending upwards, why get a distraction that is basically a 3rd stringer at best?
They need butts in the seats desperately. Gabbert was a bust. Playing a better player is meaningless if he doesn't move the needle at all. By that rationale the Broncos should've stuck with Kyle Orton's popgun arm.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 12:56 PM
  #93
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 19,636
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokecheque View Post
They need butts in the seats desperately. Gabbert was a bust. Playing a better player is meaningless if he doesn't move the needle at all. By that rationale the Broncos should've stuck with Kyle Orton's popgun arm.
Gabbert was their guy for better or worse, and for a short while he and the whole team looked to be moving in the right direction, by the time Gabbert was proven to be a garbage time stat padder Tebow was proven to be a 3rd stringer at best. And if I was a GM I wouldn't want the center of attention being a guy who's the least talented player on the roster.

The two situations are analogue​ at all.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 02:24 PM
  #94
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican
 
Pokecheque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Gabbert was their guy for better or worse, and for a short while he and the whole team looked to be moving in the right direction, by the time Gabbert was proven to be a garbage time stat padder Tebow was proven to be a 3rd stringer at best. And if I was a GM I wouldn't want the center of attention being a guy who's the least talented player on the roster.

The two situations are analogue​ at all.
Again, Jacksonville is on life support. May as well go full three-ring circus while you try and rebuild while also garnering interest in the team.

And I doubt Tebow would have been the least-talented guy on that roster.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 03:30 PM
  #95
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
if I was the Jax GM I wouldn't sign him either. It's basically making a mockery of your team - at that point you're telling fans you're not serious about winning football you're only serious about taking their money. Not to mention that EVERYONE in the state of Florida isn't a Tebow fan. There's plenty of UofM and FSU fans in Jacksonville that you'd isolate from the team.

Anyways in other news - after two years in the NFL we finally have a Cody Latimer highlight video!

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/07/16...b-fight-video/

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 05:24 PM
  #96
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican
 
Pokecheque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
Gawd, just cut the guy already...

Anyhow, I've wasted enough time on Tebow. TBH Jacksonville should have moved to L.A. or St. Louis or something resembling an NFL market. Tebow's NFL prospects are a joke but so is that franchise. That's all I'll say about that.

I'm pretty ambivalent on the NFL in general these days. I will of course watch the Broncos but you couldn't pay me to watch anyone else, nor will I waste my time with pre-game shows that don't involve Charissa Thompson.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 06:34 PM
  #97
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 6,268
vCash: 500
I mean the mets signed him despite not being a good baseball player so Jacksonville signing him doesn't seem unreasonable

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 06:38 PM
  #98
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I do want to see Tampa play this year. Their offense is gonna be crazy talented. I'm also loving what TN is doing.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 07:51 PM
  #99
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
What do you Rockies fans think of buying help at the deadline? I think they are freaking nuts if they trade Rogers.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 07:55 PM
  #100
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 6,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
What do you Rockies fans think of buying help at the deadline? I think they are freaking nuts if they trade Rogers.
Depends what they get for Rodgers. I would stand pat other than maybe some bullpen reinforcements which shouldn't cost much. This team is not catching the dodgers and probably is safe in a wild card berth. Team is set up to contend well for the next five years no need to cash in now

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.