HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings 2017 Development Camp, July 7-11

Old
07-09-2017, 08:40 AM
jolly roger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
I would rather cholo in the WHL then NCAA.

I think the rhythm and competition is more NHL comparable.
Yes, better to hide a #1 mistake playing 16, 17,18 year olds in the WHL than grown men in the NCAA or (God Forbid) trying to defense real skaters in the AHL. The tape was awful. The stickhandling and shot (not to mention the skating) are those of a first round pick ? Whoever picked him should be embarrassed to have that pick playing at the WHL level after one year in the NCAA.

jolly roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
Yes, better to hide a #1 mistake playing 16, 17,18 year olds in the WHL than grown men in the NCAA or (God Forbid) trying to defense real skaters in the AHL. The tape was awful. The stickhandling and shot (not to mention the skating) are those of a first round pick ? Whoever picked him should be embarrassed to have that pick playing at the WHL level after one year in the NCAA.
Yeah, I don't pretend to be a scout so everything I say I would take with a grain of salt. There are some prospects I like a lot and some where I just don't see it and that's the case with Cholo's development to this point. Hope I'm wrong and will be happy to admit to missing the boat if that happens.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run the Jewels View Post
Yeah, I don't pretend to be a scout so everything I say I would take with a grain of salt. There are some prospects I like a lot and some where I just don't see it and that's the case with Cholo's development to this point. Hope I'm wrong and will be happy to admit to missing the boat if that happens.
I agree

I don't see anything yet to suggest the pick wasnt a mistake

I just think the WHL at this point is a better option

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Boomhower

LIVE free stream of todays scrimmage is up right now.

http://redwn.gs/2uYzJWK

Edit:Choppy and grainy at best.. but you can still see the action.

Last edited by Boomhower: 07-09-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:42 AM
SimplySolace
"We like our team"

SimplySolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Ezekial
Aboard the AAmtrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySolace View Post
Missed in the shootout.... #bust

Ezekial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:45 AM
SimplySolace
"We like our team"

Hronek too:

SimplySolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Boomhower

David Pope with a goal and an assist on Dominik Shine Goal.

2-0 zetterberg

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Guys that looked good IMO

White: Shine, Saarijarvi, Petruzzelli, and Ehn

Red: Cholow, Sadowy, and Dvorak

Kingpin794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Dotter
11cups25 #hockeytown

Is RAM at camp?

Dotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Guys that looked good IMO

Ehn
Really hoping he has a good camp and a good year. I remember when he was drafted he was a bit of an unknown but had a lot of good buzz to him. If he can step up and have a big year, it could be a boon to the org.

07-09-2017, 02:50 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

Supposedly higher-res video should be up later today.

France Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 03:31 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Really hoping he has a good camp and a good year. I remember when he was drafted he was a bit of an unknown but had a lot of good buzz to him. If he can step up and have a big year, it could be a boon to the org.
It seems like Ehn always impresses in development camp, I really think his skill set fits the smaller ice better. On the bigger ice he's forced to carry the puck more which isn't optimal, he's better at quick and simple puck movement. His combo of skating, two-way play and size could really turn into a good asset within the next few years. Maybe something like a bigger Helm with less top-end speed?

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:08 PM
vladdy16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
He's playing at the WHL level because intelligent and invested people have made the decision that that would be the best place for a player like Cholowski to develop. Not because the player is incapable of playing at other levels obviously.

"The tape" was a warm-up drill and it's hilarious reading people drawing conclusions from it. Next season get up right against the glass during pre-game warm ups, it's where you'll find all the scouts

vladdy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy16 View Post
He's playing at the WHL level because intelligent and invested people have made the decision that that would be the best place for a player like Cholowski to develop. Not because the player is incapable of playing at other levels obviously.

"The tape" was a warm-up drill and it's hilarious reading people drawing conclusions from it. Next season get up right against the glass during pre-game warm ups, it's where you'll find all the scouts
It's not a walk of shame for him to play in the WHL. Plenty of guys play in the CHL in their +2 season, especially if they are late bloomers physically. Jake Bean and Kale Clague should also be there from his draft class, who are both good prospects in their own right. I mean I think he should have been there from the beginning, so I don't think it's a big deal, but with a shorter season that gave him some time to gain weight and Horcoff said he gained 10 lbs since he was assigned to GR in the spring.

But I want to see him keep up with those guys I mentioned, that has to be the bench mark. Bean was regarded as the best pure offense guy in that draft (him or Serg), so if he kept up with him that would be awesome.

Anyone saying the kid can't skate, that's nonsense to me, he probably skates better half the guys on our blue line already.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:47 PM
loojay

Made the drive down to Traverse City to see the scrimmage. A couple points:

Disapointed when I didn't see Rasumussen on the ice. Couldn't find out why

Hronek was getting chippy behind the play, with multiple players on the opposing team heading back to their bench yelling at him helmetless. Spent a lot of time deep in the offensive zone. (Which is due to the 4 on 4 format). Not much impression other than that.

Cholowski - is smooth and his outlet passes are good, also deep in the o zone but got caught up a few times.

G. Smith was flailing all over the ice. Hands weren't working well. Not as much physical play as last years camp

Sarijaarvi was offensively advanced as advertised. Crafty passes and good shot selection.

Lindstrom and Kotkansalo - did what they were supposed to. Didn't notice them that much other than when Lindstrom took a heavy hit against the end boards. Got up with no noticeable discomfort.

Setkov - did the right thing, did the right thing, did the right thing, then when a good opportunity would open up at the end of all these "goods" would **** it up.

Sadowy was really invovled in the offense but had nothing to show for it.

Last edited by loojay: 07-09-2017 at 09:55 PM.
loojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:55 PM
martinez
Goodbye JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by loojay View Post
Made the drive down to Traverse City to see the scrimmage

Sarijaarvi was offensively advanced as advertised. Crafty passes and good shot selection.
Did vili look small? How's his skating?

martinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:09 PM
loojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez View Post
Did vili look small? How's his skating?
He did look small compared to all the 6 plus footers out there. Skating seemed good - managed to get to the right place and also avoid contact. Speed seemed good too.

Last edited by loojay: 07-10-2017 at 11:56 PM.
loojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:13 PM
martinez
Goodbye JLA

Quote:
He did look small compared to all the 6 plus footers out there. Skating seemed good - managed to get to the right place and also avoid contact. Speed seemed good two.
Lol forgot 9 of the 11 guys we drafted were 6'2 or taller.

martinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 12:45 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 75
Quote:
Made the drive down to Traverse City to see the scrimmage. A couple points:

Disapointed when I didn't see Rasumussen on the ice. Couldn't find out why

Hronek was getting chippy behind the play, with multiple players on the opposing team heading back to their bench yelling at him helmetless. Spent a lot of time deep in the offensive zone. (Which is due to the 4 on 4 format). Not much impression other than that.

Cholowski - is smooth and his outlet passes are good, also deep in the o zone but got caught up a few times.

G. Smith was flailing all over the ice. Hands weren't working well. Not as much physical play as last years camp

Lindstrom and Kotkansalo - did what they were supposed to. Didn't notice them that much other than when Lindstrom took a heavy hit against the end boards. Got up with no noticeable discomfort.

Setkov - did the right thing, did the right thing, did the right thing, then when a good opportunity would open up at the end of all these "goods" would **** it up.

Sadowy was really invovled in the offense but had nothing to show for it.
Nice it looked like a lot of fun. Still waiting on the higher quality version but from the period I saw it was a spirited game. OT but TC must be beautiful right now.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 01:58 AM
Bruce Joker
Professor X

So what your saying is. Setkov is the new smith

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:23 AM
Leronziia
kenorH

I'll take that for pick 100-something.

Looking forward to the replay.

Leronziia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 04:01 AM
Leronziia
kenorH

From the article on NHL DRW page:

Detroit's coach wasn't too eager to comment on which players stood out during the scrimmage, calling it summer hockey, "not real hockey," but when pressed he did mention a couple of players.

"I'd temper any excitement with the fact that it's 4-on-4 summer hockey. It's not the type of hockey you play most of the time in the NHL but I would say both (Vili) Saarijarvi and (Filip) Hronek," Blashill offered. "I know our scouts are excited about the years they've had in major junior hockey and I thought both of those guys played very well today and showed, I think, transferrable type skill sets that can lead to success. I hope they have real good years in Grand Rapids."

Leronziia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 04:33 AM
ChadS

Having both Saarijärvi and Hronek under Nelson's coaching should get us pretty excited for the upcoming season.

In the Athletic interview, Nelson said that they will go back to a 2 d-man PP thanks to the D talent available next season. Also mentioned Hicketts as a PP option.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 06:03 AM
Bruce Joker
Professor X

I hate that 1 man d is actually an option but whatever. Also they need to have more scrimmages in the coming year. This one seemed like it was pretty bad and we don't have any more now do we?

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote