HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trevor Daley... 3 years $3.17M a year

Old
07-01-2017, 02:51 PM
crashnburnluder

vCash: 500
Do people. Really think this is going to make or break us. It's a warm body, the no movement clause is there so we cant just dump him to any team but instead a contender. Over the next 3 years we can lose Green, Kronwall AND Ericsson, are we supposed to not have anyone on our back end. Where our team is at this is what we should be doing. We didn't go big money on Alzner or Kulikov, we brought in a roster Spot for when guys go down, which they will. Then he will be traded to a contender on year 3 when the nmc because a limited NTC... Why are people saying this is so bad. He takes up 4% of our cap... The sky is falling because of that.

crashnburnluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Heaton

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
4 years no NTC and he would have said it was brutal. 2 years 4+ mil and it would be brutal. It would have been brutal in the haters eyes no matter what.
Oh that's not fair, 2 years at 4m would have been awesome. This deal doesn't really matter since Daley isn't very good. Like I said in a later post I'm fine with it, I just don't love the NMC regardless of the situation.

Sorry I didn't write a song about how much I love it and publish it to SoundCloud.

You guys obviously are fans of it and would have been regardless, we all have our roles to fill

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 02:53 PM
vladdy16

The guy made a fair point, whether it applies to you or not.

vladdy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Heaton

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy16 View Post
The guy made a fair point, whether it applies to you or not.
Sure, but I think it's pretty rare to have an unbiased opinion at any point. Very rarely are transactions discussed completely on merit. It's usually a lot of overcompensating.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Classicnamesup
MVP Backhand Slapper

Holland must have mistyped, I assume he meant 6 years. Lucky Trevor didn't notice.

Don't love it but it's short, will see how he looks on this team. Hopefully help the breakout

Classicnamesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 03:03 PM
jkutswings

The point I was originally trying to make is that this deal is the equivalent of saying you had toast for breakfast.

Some fans are overly intent with saying that the toast is the worst breakfast choice in the history of breakfast choices.

Other fans are overly intent with defending the decision as a brilliant breakfast maneuver.

It's toast, folks.

Daley will be largely irrelevant for 2-3 years. Just like the team who signed him.

jkutswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I doubt it, Brendan Smith is a lot better defensively than Daley.

I know people hate him here but there is a lot of false narrative on Smith in these parts. He is one of the better shot suppressors in the league. He is an advanced stats darling, his offense just never came and I am glad for him that he has another chance. New York fans sure like him, because they haven't decided they all hate him in mass.
Daley is better than Smith defensively. Using analytics to tell us why Smith isnt a bum is a great way to show that hockey is way more than analytics.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Bruce Joker
Professor X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Daley is better than Smith defensively. Using analytics to tell us why Smith isnt a bum is a great way to show that hockey is way more than analytics.
Smith is better unless you view giving the puck away as the most important stat

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos

I'm pretty indifferent to the deal.

Terms not horrible, money isn't horrible.

Nice to have a vet that's one a few rings on the backend to help with the younger guys coming up.

But overall, whatever.

07-01-2017, 04:30 PM
WingedWheel1987

Almost feel bad for Daley. Dude isn't gonna sniff the playoffs unless he waives his NTC.

"In all, the Wings sold Daley on possibilities of returning to the playoffs as soon as next season.

“I feel like they suffered a lot of injuries last year, they missed a lot of man games,” Daley said. “It is tough to replace some guys. Depth is a big key to winning. Staying healthy is a big part of it for any team that is trying to get in. Once you get in, all doors open up. You get on the right roll, and the outcome is pretty exciting.”

Courtesy of Detroit Red Wings employee HSJ.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...ngs/445951001/

Only thing i'm looking forward to next season is to see what excuses Holland will make when his garbage roster fails to make the playoffs again.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Bruce Joker
Professor X

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Almost feel bad for Daley. Dude isn't gonna sniff the playoffs unless he waives his NTC.

In all, the Wings sold Daley on possibilities of returning to the playoffs as soon as next season.

“I feel like they suffered a lot of injuries last year, they missed a lot of man games,” Daley said. “It is tough to replace some guys. Depth is a big key to winning. Staying healthy is a big part of it for any team that is trying to get in. Once you get in, all doors open up. You get on the right roll, and the outcome is pretty exciting.”

They were top ten and most of those are because of age (and if franzen counts that's even worse) it's not gonna get any better in that department

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Pavels Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post

"In all, the Wings sold Daley on possibilities of returning to the playoffs as soon as next season.

Only thing i'm looking forward to next season is to see what excuses Holland will make when his garbage roster fails to make the playoffs again.
Yeah I feel terrible for the guy with back to back cups.

Pavels Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Yeah I feel terrible for the guy with back to back cups.
Yeah, I also feel really bad for this guy, who ON IS OWN WILL wanted to join the Red Wings.

Must be miserable job when you get paid 3M per year. Maybe he will depress totally.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:32 PM
JPE123

Not bummed about this. I like Daley okay but we need to dump rig or kronner. High priced assets that produce zero

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:33 PM
JPE123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Joker View Post
Smith is better unless you view giving the puck away as the most important stat
And throw in really dumb badly timed penalties

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:57 PM
ZDH

Stop handing out NTCs ffs.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Cranky Doodle Daddy
No quit in this one

Wondering if Stevie's lost his senses in Tampa. Girardi? Kunitz? Although it will be fun to watch Kunitz level Crosby... bet he's been waiting to do that for years

Cranky Doodle Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh

It is cute that sold Daley on making the playoffs. And that Detroit's man games lost were of any significance. Plus the "anything can happen" philosophy of making the playoffs.

Trevor is going to learn anything can happen is more relevant when Crosby and Malkin are playing over half the game.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Flowah

Quote:
4 years no NTC and he would have said it was brutal. 2 years 4+ mil and it would be brutal. It would have been brutal in the haters eyes no matter what.
And it would have been fine with you if it'd be 7 years, $10m per.

See I can do this too. I suppose except I'm far more accurate in my assessment of your opinion.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post

See I can do this too. I suppose except I'm far more accurate in my assessment of your opinion.
I don't get it either. Before these things happen people say they don't want them to happen. Then it happens, people keep the identical opinion, and you're now a "hater".

Being a hater would be if you wanted to sign Daley then called it a bad idea today. I mostly see overwhelming indifference here.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 06:12 PM
WingedWheel1987

Quote:

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Well, it was the move that was advertised. He's going to be another guy in his mid30s that isn't good enough to make any real sort of difference and who is unmovable until the last twenty games of his contract. Really wanted to see the Wings take a swing at a guy who at least had upside (and, no, that isn't Witkowski).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
It is cute that sold Daley on making the playoffs. And that Detroit's man games lost were of any significance. Plus the "anything can happen" philosophy of making the playoffs.

Trevor is going to learn anything can happen is more relevant when Crosby and Malkin are playing over half the game.
First day of camp he's going to ask if Datsyuk's still too injured to play.

07-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Pavels Dog

Quote:

Except I said yesterday that 4 years was a worst case scenario and I wanted it shorter, so 7 years would definitely have been bad.
10m would also handcuff us a lot, it would be more expensive than Crosby for a player not nearly as good.
The cap is better than I expected and the term is fine. Complaining about a NTC which we don't know the details on when it's a cheap 3-year contract for a type of player we need.. seems like you reeeaaaally need to actively try to be negative if that's a dealbreaker. More than likely he'd accept a trade if we're bad and he has a chance to go to a contender.

Pavels Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 06:33 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I doubt it, Brendan Smith is a lot better defensively than Daley.

I know people hate him here but there is a lot of false narrative on Smith in these parts. He is one of the better shot suppressors in the league. He is an advanced stats darling, his offense just never came and I am glad for him that he has another chance. New York fans sure like him, because they haven't decided they all hate him in mass.
The only false narrative being told was it takes 500 games for a defenseman to be good.

Not sure how I feel about this signing. Detroit needs dmen that are responsible in their own end. Not sure Daley fits that bill.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Classicnamesup
MVP Backhand Slapper

I assume Daley is just saying that and Detroit offered him the most money/term. His future is questionable and 3 years may not have been offered much.

Classicnamesup is offline   Reply With Quote