HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Bonino to Nashville (4 years/$4.1M AAV)

Old
07-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatcat999 View Post
his stats say '2nd line center', hero charts say 2nd line center, you say 3rd line center but he was behind crosby and malkin!
exactly

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 02:30 PM
LeafingTheWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
He is usually around roughly a 40 point pace as a 3C, not bad. But yes, he will need some playmakers on his line. Still a good acquisition IMO
A 3C going to be playing 2C for us producing 35-40 points for the next 4 years at 4.1 million is expensive. We needed a middle-6 C so I guess it's okay, but I really wanted a better C to fill major void we have after Johansen.

LeafingTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafingTheWay View Post
A 3C going to be playing 2C for us producing 35-40 points for the next 4 years at 4.1 million is expensive. We needed a middle-6 C so I guess it's okay, but I really wanted a better C to fill major void we have after Johansen.
Oh, me too. I think Bonino is a great 3C or, in a pinch, a meh 2C who needs to have great wingers. But given our current situation, I don't think we could have done better at this point. He was the best center outside of maybe Hanzal or Gagner. No good Cs have been traded yet, and even if one does get traded, we kept the team and future intact.

I think Bonino, while far from perfect, is the best option we had.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 02:38 PM
LeafingTheWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Without those teammates he had his best statistical seasons. He had 49 points with Higgins and Vrbata as his most common linemates. 2nd best season with Palmieri/Belesky.
In 13-14 he had 49 points playing with Palmeri/Belesky. What's wrong with that? That season he had a 9.30 oish% (high) and a PDO of 102.7 (high). Also Palmeri is a very good possession driver.

Not trying to be a downer on this but my expectations were high for the Preds to fill the 2C spot properly. Now we have a bunch of 3Cs in Jarnkrok, Bonino, Sissons and aging Fisher.

Old
07-01-2017, 02:41 PM
LeafingTheWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Oh, me too. I think Bonino is a great 3C or, in a pinch, a meh 2C who needs to have great wingers. But given our current situation, I don't think we could have done better at this point. He was the best center outside of maybe Hanzal or Gagner. No good Cs have been traded yet, and even if one does get traded, we kept the team and future intact.

I think Bonino, while far from perfect, is the best option we had.
Agreed. Before Neal was picked away, I actually think a Fiala-Bonino-Neal line would've been good because it wouldn't cost assets to get. But with Neal gone, it just increased the need for a better C. I would've liked Gagner as well but oh well.

Don't mind the signing, just think they could've filled the void by being patient and waiting for a trade to open up.

Old
07-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
In 13-14 he had 49 points playing with Palmeri/Belesky. What's wrong with that? That season he had a 9.30 oish% (high) and a PDO of 102.7 (high). Also Palmeri is a very good possession driver.

Not trying to be a downer on this but my expectations were high for the Preds to fill the 2C spot properly. Now we have a bunch of 3Cs in Jarnkrok, Bonino, Sissons and aging Fisher.
Right, I got it backwards going from memory, ANA was where he put up 49. By that same token, he had a VERY low 6.25 on ice shooting percentage last year. I'm not saying he's any more than a high end 3C, but he's the second best center on the team now and better than standing pat.

And 4.1 million is not high for a 3C. He's right in the 50-60 range of centers based on cap hit. Factor in all the guys playing in the top 6 around the league still on ELCs and bridge deals and he's right where he belongs.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 02:48 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Agreed. Before Neal was picked away, I actually think a Fiala-Bonino-Neal line would've been good because it wouldn't cost assets to get. But with Neal gone, it just increased the need for a better C. I would've liked Gagner as well but oh well.

Don't mind the signing, just think they could've filled the void by being patient and waiting for a trade to open up.
Agreed. Having a tweener 2C/3C is fine if he's feeding the puck to Neal. That 2nd line production may really dip without the elite skill and experience of someone like Neal. Even Neal's numbers dropped with Fisher and Jarny centering his line.

Hope his speed with Fiala makes for a good combination.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Agreed. Having a tweener 2C/3C is fine if he's feeding the puck to Neal. That 2nd line production may really dip without the elite skill and experience of someone like Neal. Even Neal's numbers dropped with Fisher and Jarny centering his line.

Hope his speed with Fiala makes for a good combination.
Bonino is not fast.

Old
07-01-2017, 03:18 PM
pixiesfanyo

Quote:

That is a total lie though. He was a winger with Getz and Perry for half the season and put up a ton of power play points.

I've watched him in Anaheim (as I live in Cali) and Pittsburgh (my team). He is a solid center. His biggest issue is that he'll do the same thing Neal did for you guys and score in bunches. Penguins fans hated him this year when he wasn't scoring, but failed to realize he was one if not our most effective defensive player outside of face offs. Behind RyJo I think he'll be a solid utility player. The contract also isn't insane if Poile pulls in a legitimate # 2 center to play him at #3. Solid signing, don't let Penguins fans get you down. They think Hainsey was a #6 in the playoffs when regardless of his play he was essentially a #2/3 on a Cup winner.

Also, as everyone knows he brings it in the playoffs.

pixiesfanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 03:23 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
It seems the market would disagree with you. With that said, how much did Nashville overpay by?
You paid him 2C money even though he's a 3C. He's a good player, no doubt, but he only really comes in play during the playoffs.

I get it the market is really soft for centers, so what ever he was going to get was likely over payment. He's not a $4M per year player. I'd go no more than $3M with him. That said, you got him & good on him. But you'll have to lower expectations if you think he's a #2 center...

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesfanyo View Post
That is a total lie though. He was a winger with Getz and Perry for half the season...
No, this is a total lie. He barely played with Getzlaf and Perry in 13-14 and when he did, he scored at a much, much, much lower level than he did without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
You paid him 2C money even though he's a 3C. He's a good player, no doubt, but he only really comes in play during the playoffs.
No, they didn't. He's tied for 57th in cap hit for centers, so very low 2nd line, add to that all of the ELC and bridge guys playing in the top 6 and he's paid right at the higher end 3C level, which is what he is.

Old
07-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Panic at the Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
His stats say '2nd line center', HERO charts say 2nd line center, you say 3rd line center but he was behind CROSBY AND MALKIN!

Exactly.

Playing 18-20 minutes for Nashville, thinking 45-54 points. Maybe more.

Secondly, he went to Farmington HS, a year older than my son. (Transferred to Avon Old Farms after winning State Cup) - and he's friends with a lot of kids I coached. Great kid, great family.

Third, I told the mrs - "Bonino would be an excellent fit for Nashville" last night.

Panic at the Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 03:59 PM
pixiesfanyo

Quote:
No, this is a total lie. He barely played with Getzlaf and Perry in 13-14 and when he did, he scored at a much, much, much lower level than he did without them.
Bonino played the third most amount of time in terms of forwards on the power play in 13-14 which oddly enough was third to Getzlaf and Perry. While playing on that power play he put up 7 goals and 13 assists. Nearly half of his production that year.

So yeah. He did play with Getzlaf and Perry and yeah he did score with them.

I had a twenty game package to the Ducks that year. I was actually there in the stands watching the team.

Old
07-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Bonino played the third most amount of time in terms of forwards on the power play in 13-14 which oddly enough was third to Getzlaf and Perry. While playing on that power play he put up 7 goals and 13 assists. Nearly half of his production that year.

So yeah. He did play with Getzlaf and Perry and yeah he did score with them.

I had a twenty game package to the Ducks that year. I was actually there in the stands watching the team.
I'm obviously talking about even strength. As myself and the person you originally responded to have been the entire time, keep up...

Old
07-01-2017, 04:10 PM
pixiesfanyo

Quote:
I'm obviously talking about even strength. As myself and the person you originally responded to have been the entire time, keep up...
You said he had 49 points playing with Palms and Beleskey (which you spelled wrong). He didn't he had 29 points playing with them because he was used on the first power play.

He also played the majority of the end of the year with Getzlaf and Perry which can be seen by the frequency of his even strength shifts being almost identical to them at 21.2% vs. 26% with Palms and Beleskey.

Like I said, I've actually been to the Honda Center when Bonino was playing there. I watched him play with Getzlaf and Perry in person and didn't just go on hockey reference and cherry pick stats. I've been following the player for over five years based on the fact he has been on two teams I heavily watch. How about you keep up.

Old
07-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
You said he had 49 points playing with Palms and Beleskey (which you spelled wrong). He didn't he had 29 points playing with them because he was used on the first power play.

He also played the majority of the end of the year with Getzlaf and Perry which can be seen by the frequency of his even strength shifts being almost identical to them at 21.2% vs. 26% with Palms and Beleskey.

Like I said, I've actually been to the Honda Center when Bonino was playing there. I watched him play with Getzlaf and Perry in person and didn't just go on hockey reference and cherry pick stats. I've been following the player for over five years based on the fact he has been on two teams I heavily watch. How about you keep up.
No, I actually mixed it up and said he scored 49 on a different team. I only meant his most productive years were with Beleskey/Palmieri and Higgins/Vrbata as his most common linemates, which is a fact.

2013-14 Even Strength: Bonino played 114 minutes with Perry, his GF/60 dropped from 2.92 overall to 1.58 with Perry. He played 68 minutes with Getzlaf, his GF/60 went from 2.92 to .88(ouch). More facts.

Old
07-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Armourboy

Don't see it as overpayment, we were paying Fisher more to do the same thing and I don't recall anyone *****ing about that.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

As with everyone on the Preds, I hope I'm dead wrong about this signing, I hope Bonino can lock down the 2C spot, and hit 45-50 consistently and become a fan favorite.

I look forward to eating a big plate of crow in a few months!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Predigree

C´mon Guys, Bonino is a #2C. He Plays for the Penguins.!!!!! In any other Team he is a #2C.

Predigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 06:15 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

His twitter handle (@NickBonino) has as the description...

Hockey predator.

Facebook - @jwhouk
Where I'd really rather be right now

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 08:15 PM
PerdFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
His twitter handle (@NickBonino) has as the description...

Hockey predator.
It was Hockey penguin right after the signing. Glad he thought to change it quickly.

PerdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Montross
Top 6 Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predigree View Post
C´mon Guys, Bonino is a #2C. He Plays for the Penguins.!!!!! In any other Team he is a #2C.
No, he's really not. This is a guy who has never cracked 50 points his entire career. He is bringing in a sub 50% FO. Old man Fisher last season had more points than him in less games. He is a perfectly solid 3rd line guy, but he will struggle at the 2C. This is typical Trotz-era player management having him slotted a level above what their talent really is.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Tex76
Rookie User

The lines sometimes blur between which line is more important 2nd/3rd anyway, for some teams in certain situations.

So in this respect, if Jarnkrok meshed better with Fiala and Aberg, say (or offset their weaknesses better), and if Bonino played with Hartnell and Smith, or any permutation thereof, it may be difficult to really put a label on the lines. One line might outscore the other by a little, but the other line could do better in matchup assignments. Which is more valuable? Or they could both score about the same, depending. One line could be faster and the other heavier. Etc.

Either way, it's better to have Bonino in the mix than to have dead cap space. He's not an ideal 2C... the Preds might instead have three "3C"s... which averages out to the same as 2+3+4. It can work. It's better than having just two 3Cs.

Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 08:40 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
The lines sometimes blur between which line is more important 2nd/3rd anyway, for some teams in certain situations.

So in this respect, if Jarnkrok meshed better with Fiala and Aberg, say (or offset their weaknesses better), and if Bonino played with Hartnell and Smith, or any permutation thereof, it may be difficult to really put a label on the lines. One line might outscore the other by a little, but the other line could do better in matchup assignments. Which is more valuable? Or they could both score about the same, depending. One line could be faster and the other heavier. Etc.

Either way, it's better to have Bonino in the mix than to have dead cap space. He's not an ideal 2C... the Preds might instead have three "3C"s... which averages out to the same as 2+3+4. It can work. It's better than having just two 3Cs.
My exact thoughts as well.

I think sometimes we get caught up too much with line labels.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote