HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Bonino to Nashville (4 years/$4.1M AAV)

Old
07-03-2017, 08:58 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 50
I think the only time it's really necessary to have a defined #2 line is if the opponent rolls a shut-down line that actually shut's down JOFA. Otherwise, you can roll a "mean-spirited" 4th led by McLeod and 2 middle 6 lines, or - assuming Fish signs - roll 3 pretty decent threats that spread scoring around and give you the ability to get a lead and then park Smith/Hartnell on the bench while you shut them down and hold a lead.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 09:28 AM
KurtAngle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
Don't see it as overpayment, we were paying Fisher more to do the same thing and I don't recall anyone *****ing about that.
Because everyone likes Fisher, that's why. He is a very nice guy and he's married to a celeb.

That's the kind of good/bad about Nashville as a sports city....in the past we have judged much on how much we like someone vs. production. Which is why Plaster was here for so long. Not that it's only Nashville, but why we let Fisher, Trotz, Kevin Stallings of Vandy basketball, and many more get by so long because our sports radio here, with few exceptions, wanted to be more of friends to teams instead of doing their actual job.

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngle View Post
Because everyone likes Fisher, that's why. He is a very nice guy and he's married to a celeb.

That's the kind of good/bad about Nashville as a sports city....in the past we have judged much on how much we like someone vs. production. Which is why Plaster was here for so long. Not that it's only Nashville, but why we let Fisher, Trotz, Kevin Stallings of Vandy basketball, and many more get by so long because our sports radio here, with few exceptions, wanted to be more of friends to teams instead of doing their actual job.
So because New York, Philly, Chicago type media are a bunch of short-sighted tools who rant and rave for ratings, it means that the Nashville media should as well?

By this logic Poile would have been run out of town 10-12 years ago instead of leading the team to a Cup Final appearance.

Fisher brings much more value to his contract than just goals and assists, until the playoffs this year he was the only player most middle Tennesseans could identify.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 11:44 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
So because New York, Philly, Chicago type media are a bunch of short-sighted tools who rant and rave for ratings, it means that the Nashville media should as well?

By this logic Poile would have been run out of town 10-12 years ago instead of leading the team to a Cup Final appearance.

Fisher brings much more value to his contract than just goals and assists, until the playoffs this year he was the only player most middle Tennesseans could identify.
Not to mention Fisher actually had a pretty darn good season last year production wise.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 08:10 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Fisher is still a good, effective hockey player, most definitely worth a contract and a roster spot. If he gets overpaid a little because of his "intangibles", so what? Its not our money and as long as it doesn't screw us cap wise it makes no difference. Im guessing Poile knows he's coming back, and Fisher is being a good guy and waiting to see what RyJo and Arvy sign for before making a contract request.

07-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Fisher is still a good, effective hockey player, most definitely worth a contract and a roster spot. If he gets overpaid a little because of his "intangibles", so what? Its not our money and as long as it doesn't screw us cap wise it makes no difference. Im guessing Poile knows he's coming back, and Fisher is being a good guy and waiting to see what RyJo and Arvy sign for before making a contract request.
The playoffs said otherwise, but to each their own.

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 09:47 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
The playoff in which he captained a team to 2 wins away from lifting the cup?

Don't underestimate leadership.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
The playoff in which he captained a team to 2 wins away from lifting the cup?

Don't underestimate leadership.
*yawn*... what's the point of leadership if you don't produce on the ice... he was an offensive black hole in the playoffs and it showed.

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 10:12 AM
triggrman

Quote:
*yawn*... what's the point of leadership if you don't produce on the ice... he was an offensive black hole in the playoffs and it showed.
Yawn all you want, in sports, leadership matters...

Old
07-05-2017, 12:30 PM
TitansVolsPreds615

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yawn all you want, in sports, leadership matters...
Especially being that he was the only player on the Preds team that was a Stanley Cup Final veteran. You don't think these 20-23 year old kids got some encouragement from following their captain down the tunnel knowing he had been there before?

TitansVolsPreds615 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 12:46 PM
preds1
Weber's Bomb

vCash: 81
Quote:
He's no Joey, I'll give you that, but he single handedly shut down the Hawks/Blues PP and.........

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 12:57 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
I wondered how long you'd stay away and what tack you'd take when you came back. Kinda hard to put down Poile since we made the Cup finals and he got GM of the year, so now you're gonna hate on Fisher.

If you honestly think this team is more likely to win the Cup next year with Gadreau or Kamanev in the lineup than Fisher, Im not sure that theres any point in trying to debate with you.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 06:48 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post

I was thinking the opposite. It would be great if we had some actual shills for the team the way the Titans and Vandy teams do. Instead we have a jilted DC transplant hipster writing in the local rag and mugging it up on the NHL Network trying to outsnark puck daddy and a bunch of SEC meatheads.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
There are some good tweets from his press conference this morning about his clear desire to come here and his impressions of it.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
There are some good tweets from his press conference this morning about his clear desire to come here and his impressions of it.
Here are a couple:

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 03:04 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Bonino is a warrior, and is only going to get better.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 07:41 AM
klt2001

Comparing goal and point wise, imo Bonino fills Colin Wilson's spot (Surprisingly Wilson's record is slightly better than Bonino's) and Hartnell fills James Neal's spot but even if Fisher comes back we will essentially be the same roster wise maybe even a tiny bite weaker than we were w/ this year's roster and so still need one more top goal scorer to put us over the top. That or we have to hope that Fiala and Joey can stay healthy/injury free all the way through the playoffs this year to get us over the top and hope everybody else stays the same production wise or is slightly better.

As of right now if we stay pat even if Fisher were to come back, imo we are still a slightly weaker team than this year's team and still need one more top scorer to put us over the top to be contenders to win the cup. No matter what we have a bright future ahead of us. At least we finally got pass the second round. Thought we would never get pass that hump. But if we want to win the cup then imo we still need one more top scorer or hope Joey/Fiala stay healthy/injury free for all of the playoff series. With how it seems you have to have depth to make it far in the playoffs as injuries are bound to happen in the playoffs especially the further you get into the playoffs, I would try getting one more top scorer if possible or at least a player that is a beast in the playoffs.

Last edited by klt2001: 07-08-2017 at 09:06 AM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 06:41 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
Bonino is a warrior, and is only going to get better.
Lol he is 30 years old. He is only going to get worse. And he has never even hit 50 points in a season. He is a good third line centre but is going to slow down fiala development. Bonino was not a good signing at all. Unless he plays third line centre as I said, but we could have just used Sissons there for a lot less cash.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 07:52 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub24 View Post
I was thinking the opposite. It would be great if we had some actual shills for the team the way the Titans and Vandy teams do. Instead we have a jilted DC transplant hipster writing in the local rag and mugging it up on the NHL Network trying to outsnark puck daddy and a bunch of SEC meatheads.
Yes this!

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:16 AM
GeauxPreds1
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Here are a couple:

i love seeing stuff like this. where ever a player ends up it's always this was my first choice and I wanted to come here the whole time.
have you ever heard a player say hey this wasn't the place i wanted to be but they paid me the most money so go PREDS lol

GeauxPreds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 11:35 AM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds1 View Post
i love seeing stuff like this. where ever a player ends up it's always this was my first choice and I wanted to come here the whole time.
have you ever heard a player say hey this wasn't the place i wanted to be but they paid me the most money so go PREDS lol
lol, Radulov would

Old
07-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds1 View Post
Well for one, the Preds didn't offer him the most money. Didn't offer Hartnell the most money either. So maybe they actually did have Nashville as their first choice.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:05 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

Correct. He took less money than was offered elsewhere according to reports. Wake up long suffering Preds fans...our secret is out and we kick ass.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:42 PM
GeauxPreds1
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Well for one, the Preds didn't offer him the most money. Didn't offer Hartnell the most money either. So maybe they actually did have Nashville as their first choice.
I do believe it was hartnells first choice because he had his best years playing for lav and of course he started here.

GeauxPreds1 is offline   Reply With Quote