HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Add Selanne to the injured

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 04:13 AM
broman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison
Selanne is known to get injuries.
Errm... right. Let's see, ESPN to the rescue:

02-03 SJ GP:82
01-02 SJ GP:82
00-01 ANA/SJ GP:73
99-00 ANA GP:79
98-99 ANA GP:75
97-98 ANA GP:73
96-97 ANA GP:78
95-96 WPG/ANA GP:79

Shall I go on? To summarize, he had minor knee surgery three years ago during the transition from Ducks to Sharks. Since that this is the first game he's missed. Over the past eight seasons he's missed, what, I dunno, you help me out. Thirty games, out of 600 plus? Whoa.

Edison, I seriously think you need to have your filaments checked. This is just as ridiculous as calling ironman Kariya "injury-prone". Who by the way has missed more games than Selanne during his career.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:37 AM
dempsey_k*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto

Good, you guys deserve it. That should be the fate of all big market teams. No mercy from me. Plus I absolutely hate the Avalanche.
I think it's rather hypocritical that this genius is allowed to go on living and KL was banned from this site on a technicality.

As much as my skin crawls trying to put a method to the mayhem that is KL's asinine logic, he was one sharp cookie and had interesting posts with good insight, yet we have cretins roaming the boards who's mission is to convince me that humanity isn't worth preserving.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey_k
I think it's rather hypocritical that this genius is allowed to go on living and KL was banned from this site on a technicality.
KL has returned, haven't you figured that out??

Old
10-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
KL has returned, haven't you figured that out??
he was banned again thou

Old
10-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Sakic19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
he was banned again thou
Christ, what'd he do this time?

Old
10-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19
Christ, what'd he do this time?
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=23069

I just figured it out.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:00 AM
nuksforlife

Send a message via MSN to nuksforlife
He will be back for the next game www.rotoworld.com.

Old
10-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksforlife
He will be back for the next game.
KL??

Old
11-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
In an interview given to Finnish channel MTV3, Selšnne said that unless his knee shows no signs of healing, he'll have to opt for surgery which might keep out of action for 2-3 months. The deciding factor is the match against the Rangers, if the knee can't handle it, then it's time to book an appointment with a surgeon. He took a few cortisone shots for the game against the Devils and felt no paina nd there was no swelling. However, the leg felt pretty powerless. The next few days will show whether he can play with the knee.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
In an interview given to Finnish channel MTV3, Selšnne said that unless his knee shows no signs of healing, he'll have to opt for surgery which might keep out of action for 2-3 months. The deciding factor is the match against the Rangers, if the knee can't handle it, then it's time to book an appointment with a surgeon. He took a few cortisone shots for the game against the Devils and felt no paina nd there was no swelling. However, the leg felt pretty powerless. The next few days will show whether he can play with the knee.
Based on today's game with the Rangers, I assume that if what you are saying is true, he will have the surgery fairly quickly.

He looked like he couldn't generate any power for his skating (similar to the the way he has looked all season). If the surgery helps, it makes sense to do it now, so he could potentially be back in the lineup by the all star game. It makes no sense to procrastinate. Similar to Worrell, let's get the knee fixed and him back in the lineup at 100%.

How many games can you go on having to have your knee shot up with cortisone? That can't be good long term.

The simple fact is that with the way he is playing now, he isn't effective, or at least he isn't the player he is capable of being.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
why is he telling this to a finland television station? why not the denver post or tsn or something........

Old
11-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
If it is true, he might as well get the surgery over with now, at least he would be back before the all star break.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
why is he telling this to a finland television station? why not the denver post or tsn or something........
Maybe he was misquoted. European newspapers always seem to break stories like this first on European players, but they are wrong a lot of times. Also, maybe he didn't tell the Post because he wasn't asked. That's not something you just come right out and say without being specifically asked about it.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:54 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
Maybe he was misquoted. European newspapers always seem to break stories like this first on European players, but they are wrong a lot of times. Also, maybe he didn't tell the Post because he wasn't asked. That's not something you just come right out and say without being specifically asked about it.
A bit difficult to misquote when the interview was in audio, played in Finnish tv, like I said in my earlier post. As for why he didin't mention to the Denver media first, there was a guy from the before mentioned Finnish network doing a story on him and Finnish players sometimes tell stuff to their countrymen that they don't tell to NA media (e.g. Niinimaa issues with the Isles coaching).

Also a little update on Selšnne. After the Rangers game, he said that they're still observing the situation with his knee. It didn't bother him during the game, though it was slightly swollen after it. He was in a good mood after the game and said they'll see how it fares in this weeks games before making a decision.

Old
11-03-2003, 03:00 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
A bit difficult to misquote when the interview was in audio, played in Finnish tv, like I said in my earlier post. As for why he didin't mention to the Denver media first, there was a guy from the before mentioned Finnish network doing a story on him and Finnish players sometimes tell stuff to their countrymen that they don't tell to NA media (e.g. Niinimaa issues with the Isles coaching).

Also a little update on Selšnne. After the Rangers game, he said that they're still observing the situation with his knee. It didn't bother him during the game, though it was slightly swollen after it. He was in a good mood after the game and said they'll see how it fares in this weeks games before making a decision.
Again, if he is this banged up, it makes little sense for the Avs to have him wait before getting the surgery. He is more valuable to the Avs at 100% physically than in his current state. If he is having this much trouble now, I fail to see how he will make it through the regular season let alone the playoffs if he doesn't have the injury corrected via surgery.

I have concerns that the reason the Avs have not encouraged Selanne to have the surgery is that Forsberg's injury may be worse than the Avs are letting on. He is undergoing tests today, and indications are it may deal with a stomach muscle rather than a groin. Perhaps the Avs are concerned about both players being out long term.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:24 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto

Good, you guys deserve it. That should be the fate of all big market teams. No mercy from me. Plus I absolutely hate the Avalanche.
blocked

Old
11-03-2003, 05:30 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Wow, if Foote or Blake goes down, we are in serious trouble....very serious trouble..

Old
11-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
blocked
Good work.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Wow, if Foote or Blake goes down, we are in serious trouble....very serious trouble..
Nice Jinx. Blake better go kiss the blarney stone or something now, or at least throw some salt over his shoulder. Preferably without hitting Cam Neely.

Old
11-05-2003, 04:24 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

For anyone who saw the game, how did Selšnne look in the game? Anywhere close to his full (fitness) level?

Old
11-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
For anyone who saw the game, how did Selšnne look in the game? Anywhere close to his full (fitness) level?
He looked pretty good, he seemed like he was active most of the game.

Seems like I read a quote from either the Denver Post or RMN in which Selanne said he knee felt better than it has for sometime during the game.

But it still looks like he is missing some speed. It doesn't look like he has the necessary quickness to get to open areas of the ice to use his shot.
That is what has been missing this year IMO from Selanne, he hasn't been getting many shots off. I think he needs to go ahead and have the surgery if it means that he would regain some of acceleration, that is the whole key to his game.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:11 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
He looked pretty good, he seemed like he was active most of the game.

Seems like I read a quote from either the Denver Post or RMN in which Selanne said he knee felt better than it has for sometime during the game.

But it still looks like he is missing some speed. It doesn't look like he has the necessary quickness to get to open areas of the ice to use his shot.
That is what has been missing this year IMO from Selanne, he hasn't been getting many shots off. I think he needs to go ahead and have the surgery if it means that he would regain some of acceleration, that is the whole key to his game.
Selšnne said after the Rangers game that the knee was feeling better. Maybe it was just "age" showing. Or if it requires surgery, he'll play until the "sick bay" starts clearing up.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:25 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

I'm not sure if this has been reported Stateside as well, but Selšnne said in Finnish papers that his knee has been bothering him for 3 years. The doctors discovered a cyst in his left knee cap, which has meant that he hasn't been able to play "full" during this time. IIRC it isn't constant pain, it just acts up from time to time.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:18 AM
broman

Quote:
I'm not sure if this has been reported Stateside as well, but Selšnne said in Finnish papers that his knee has been bothering him for 3 years. The doctors discovered a cyst in his left knee cap, which has meant that he hasn't been able to play "full" during this time. IIRC it isn't constant pain, it just acts up from time to time.
Where did you get this one from? I think I've been following all the tabloids and news, and I can't recall hearing about a cyst.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by broman
Where did you get this one from? I think I've been following all the tabloids and news, and I can't recall hearing about a cyst.
It was in one of last weeks Iltasanomat, where he explained the situation.

Closed Thread