HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

AHL Signings (Agozzino, Warsofski, Cannata)

Old
07-06-2017, 11:29 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'm really happy Agozzino is back! He got to see what else was out there and can come back here and be a leader down in San Antonio. The Cannata signing is a joke, but at least Martin should get plenty of starts.
It sounds like the Blues are sending some of their guys to SA, at least that's what Jeremy Rutherford was apparently saying (that Rampage Nate heard and tweeted about).

I guess Husso was specifically mentioned for SA, which if it's true, would likely mean Cannata in the ECHL.

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:35 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
It sounds like the Blues are sending some of their guys to SA, at least that's what Jeremy Rutherford was apparently saying (that Rampage Nate heard and tweeted about).

I guess Husso was specifically mentioned for SA, which if it's true, would likely mean Cannata in the ECHL.
I read that too... and I think it is a huge mistake by both organizations. Martin and Husso will be fighting to be starters (and I'd wager Husso would win out).

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:36 AM
StayAtHomeAv

How did we get stuck taking on blues prospects?

StayAtHomeAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:36 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
I wonder if Agozzino will go to Europe after this season if he doesn't get called up
He got a two year deal and decent chunk guaranteed, at that point guys have kinda accepted a minor league career.

I too heard that about the Blues sending us a goalie, which is fine but it also keeps Martin as our actual #3.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:37 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
How did we get stuck taking on blues prospects?
Allegedly because we are getting the 31st AHL expansion franchise and the Blues will go to SA in a year.

Old
07-06-2017, 11:39 AM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Anybody else extremely bothered by this?

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Allegedly because we are getting the 31st AHL expansion franchise and the Blues will go to SA in a year.
What city is this 'alleged' franchise alleged to be in?

Scouting the NHL Draft
www.thehockeyprospector.com
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:43 AM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Kind of. Let's see how many guys we have to take on, and SA's priorities.

But if it's just for a year I guess it's not too bad. I love the idea of having our AHL affiliate right down the road.

Old
07-06-2017, 11:46 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I despise sharing AHL franchises... absolutely despise it. It mixes priorities and the kids just trying to break into the AHL always suffer.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:47 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
What city is this 'alleged' franchise alleged to be in?
Might be the Colorado Eagles but if not, somewhere around Denver

If it's the price paid to play nice and get that 31st franchise, then fine. I'd argue they played nice going to SA in the first place when the major swapping was happening. But if that whole thing blows up then they really, really screwed up. At least it's still our coaches and our control, which the Blues have none.

Old
07-06-2017, 11:59 AM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

IMO it is a huge problem for a team in a rebuild, that just had one of the worst seasons in history, not even have a proper AHL deal to develop players. This organization can honestly pound sand. What a calamity.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I read that too... and I think it is a huge mistake by both organizations. Martin and Husso will be fighting to be starters (and I'd wager Husso would win out).
Things like this make me wonder if anyone in the organization is even paying attention. There's such a stark lack of foresight it's crazy.

I mean you just lost Picks to expansion, you got Bernier under contract for one year, and Varly is a pretty big question mark in terms of health. How do you let your next best goalie prospect split duties in the AHL with another organization? Presumably just to save money?

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:30 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

I think I've made my thoughts clear on the situation for the most part. I don't like the idea of developing the Blues best goalie prospect when he has a legitimate chance at being a pain in our butt soon. I would have much rather have brought in Mike McKenna and not worried about an opposing division team was going to do with it's prospects. There's nothing wrong with healthy competition among your own goalie prospects but this isn't our own prospects in net.

As for on forward and defense I think the Blues will be sending their "Meurs/Geertsen" type prospect to fill the holes the Avs can't. The better prospects will most likely stay in Chicago because it's close to St. Louis and Vegas hasn't exactly brought in a wealth of players to fill out the spots down there. Vegas needs the help from the Blues more than we do at this point. The odd part to me (and will be for the rest of the season) is why the Blues have to loan out one of Husso/Binnington.

Look at who Vegas brought in to be no. 3/4 on their depth chart: Maxime Legace and Oscar Dansk. Both are goalies who I'm surprised even found NHL contracts. Both probably need time in the ECHL before they can even set foot back in the AHL. If Vegas was serious about filling the Chicago crease with quality they'd have brought in Enroth or even rolled the dice on Daniel Altshuller who at least has more promise than Legace/Dansk. Before Jeremy Rutherford said anything I thought the plan was Binnington/Husso in the AHL with Legace/Dansk in the ECHL. Obviously that has changed.

I'm both worried and interested in the type of agreement Colorado/St. Louis have in place. Obviously St. Louis has no control but if they are sending Husso to San Antonio they aren't doing so because they know Husso will get 10 starts. There will be some agreement in place and my worry is how generous the Avs will be.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Ceremony
It was dawn

vCash: 50
It's an absolute clown show for two reasons. First that two teams are having to share minor league affiliates, hindering them because of the second - that there's a new team that the NHL was quite aware of who get their own team right away. Both the Avalanche and the Blues are suffering here. Why should they be sharing rather than making the new team wait or make sure an affiliate is in place? Criticise the Avalanche's organisational structure and priorities if you want, but I don't think they deserve the majority of the blame here.

07-09-2017, 10:15 AM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

I think part of this is also because the Avs will get the 31st franchise in the AHL and it's the Blues that will have San Antonio as their affiliate. Could have been different if it was another game of musical chairs awaiting next offseason, but alas.

As for Husso, I don't like it either and the Avs better not have been too generous here. I may be mistaken, but I think a lot of the games in the A are played fri-sat-sun, fri-sat-sun and if there's a deal where Martin plays game one and three and Husso two, I actually don't mind it.

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 11:14 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

The AHL wanted the expansion franchise to be ready this year, it's not their fault forcing this. They don't like the sharing either because it cheapens their brand and image as the one to one league with the NHL. So who knows why the 31st franchise wasn't ready but if it is ours it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't ready for it. It might take some time to get the Eagles ready for a transition. It wouldn't surprise me if they had to be the Jr. Avalanche and play at the Pepsi Center for a bit.

So yes, taking on Blues prospects is dumb but if it's the price for getting that expansion franchise then it will be worth it in the end. They are the one without a team so it should be them who are inconvenienced. But they also have a lot of better prospects than we have so if we start getting their better ones then it might cause a problem getting the guys we need to get time.

My main issue with getting Husso is that it makes Martin our #3. Is he ready for that? Don't you need at least 4 goalies with NHL contracts that can play in the NHL if worse comes to worse? And right now that 4th is Cannata.

Old
07-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic MacK View Post
How do you let your next best goalie prospect split duties in the AHL with another organization? Presumably just to save money?
welcome to Stan Kroenke ownership

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 11:33 AM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
The AHL wanted the expansion franchise to be ready this year, it's not their fault forcing this. They don't like the sharing either because it cheapens their brand and image as the one to one league with the NHL. So who knows why the 31st franchise wasn't ready but if it is ours it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't ready for it. It might take some time to get the Eagles ready for a transition. It wouldn't surprise me if they had to be the Jr. Avalanche and play at the Pepsi Center for a bit.

So yes, taking on Blues prospects is dumb but if it's the price for getting that expansion franchise then it will be worth it in the end. They are the one without a team so it should be them who are inconvenienced. But they also have a lot of better prospects than we have so if we start getting their better ones then it might cause a problem getting the guys we need to get time.

My main issue with getting Husso is that it makes Martin our #3. Is he ready for that? Don't you need at least 4 goalies with NHL contracts that can play in the NHL if worse comes to worse? And right now that 4th is Cannata.
If we plan on playing our best prospects up with the Avs then it might be a good thing to bring in some higher talent from the Blues. We won't have any prospects down there needing a top role. Beaudin and Meloche would be our top prospects down there, and with both of them just now becoming pros it wouldn't be a bad thing to have Beaudin as the 3C or Meloche in the bottom 4. And it's not like we have 20 guys down there who need time, if we go prospect heavy with the Avs.

Old
07-09-2017, 12:38 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
If we plan on playing our best prospects up with the Avs then it might be a good thing to bring in some higher talent from the Blues. We won't have any prospects down there needing a top role. Beaudin and Meloche would be our top prospects down there, and with both of them just now becoming pros it wouldn't be a bad thing to have Beaudin as the 3C or Meloche in the bottom 4. And it's not like we have 20 guys down there who need time, if we go prospect heavy with the Avs.
Jost and Greer should start the year in the AHL, at least for a month or two

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:46 PM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

Quote:

No worries, we'll just trade a 3rd for Michael Hutchinson

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:48 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

It just dawned on me that Conner Bleackley will play on the Avs/Blues team. Well, should he make the AHL again.

UncleRisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:51 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I see no problem with that, but is that Sakic's plan? I have no idea what to expect in regards to how the roster shakes out.

Old
07-10-2017, 12:43 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
If they win a spot out of camp then they need to be on the NHL roster. No reason to hold them back.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 01:05 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
If they win a spot out of camp then they need to be on the NHL roster. No reason to hold them back.
Eh. Jost clearly wasn't physically ready last season, so even if he's added the necessary muscle, it would be best if he was given a little time at a lower level to get used to using that new muscle against manstrength...which he still needs to adjust to.

And Greer's consistency needs to improve, not his play when at his best. He can come into camp and crush it and still not be ready to consistently make things happen offensively.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 01:07 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Jost is ready for the NHL, at least in a third line role. I'm not sure he needs the AHL from an experience standpoint, he has nothing to learn about hockey that he can't learn at the NHL level.

Greer could maybe benefit from a short AHL stint though. Some more time playing in a top six role working on consistency and being leaned on in a scoring role would do him good. He may be able to handle bottom six NHL duties but I don't think it would be best for him in the long run.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote