HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin from VGK for 2018 3rd

Old
07-01-2017, 10:15 PM
bobmoor

vCash: 500
MTL fans mostly hated on him for his salary, some rough stretches, and some boneheaded penalties.

bobmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 10:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Only thing where I have seen where Emelin & Weber were paired they had a WOWY % as 43.0% (What ever that means) BUT what I do understand is they both had their best career years in Montreal between 10-12. SO, I think Poile is trying to capture lightning in a bottle.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 10:26 PM
JLP
Refugee

Wow did not see that coming. At $2.9 Emelin (pronounced "Yemelin") is a good pickup, and will be able to play to his strengths in Nashville. I think fans will be pleasantly surprised.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 11:01 PM
predwings

His stats seem 3rd pairing guy he only outproduced Y Weber but his +/- over the season is pretty bad, I'm not really sure what we're going for with this guy. Maybe a trade piece? Unsure.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Vali Maki Sushi
Tuna Vali Maki Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJungleHunter View Post
So, what do we do with all of our Defensemen now?

Subban
Josi
Ellis
Ekholm
Emelin
Irwin
Weber
Bitetto

Hunt?

Seems like someone is going to be traded unless we plan to just keep all of them.
Hunt is in Vegas. The bolded have almost no value. I doubt we are moving the top 4. Why trade for Emelin just to trade him again? If a team wanted him they would have just traded with LV, unless they were dumb and incompetent and missed out.

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 11:41 PM
LaP

He's definitely an upgrade over the wrong Weber and Irwin. Can play top 4 for 20-30 games a year when there's injuries. Can play both on the right side and left side.

His biggest problem is consistency. He can look like a very solid defensive top 4 for 20 games in a row and then look like a pretty average 3rd pairing guy for the next 20 games. On his best days he is a lot better than Irwin/Y. Weber. On his worst days he's pretty much them 2.0. But there's too much of his worst days in a year sadly.

One of the most physical guy in the league. He hits a lot of he hits very hard. For 2.9 millions it's not a bad addition.

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 11:54 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
He's definitely an upgrade over the wrong Weber and Irwin. Can play top 4 for 20-30 games a year when there's injuries. Can play both on the right side and left side.

His biggest problem is consistency. He can look like a very solid defensive top 4 for 20 games in a row and then look like a pretty average 3rd pairing guy for the next 20 games. On his best days he is a lot better than Irwin/Y. Weber. On his worst days he's pretty much them 2.0. But there's too much of his worst days in a year sadly.

One of the most physical guy in the league. He hits a lot of he hits very hard. For 2.9 millions it's not a bad addition.
How are his break outs? Can he move the puck quickly out of the Dzone? The Preds D corp was built for the transition game and the ability to join the rush in the O zone. That's why they traded Weber for Subban.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 12:19 AM
Bouboumaster

Negatives:
- Inconsistant.
- Will make a couple of stupid plays here and there.
- Will catch some bad penalities.

Positives:
- Able to play on the second pairing, easely, if necessary.
- Not fast, but not slow.
- Head and shoulders better than anyone on your 3rd pairing right now.
- Probably one of the most feared player in the league, because of his hits. The man's a wrecking ball, litterally. He's kind of a light Scott Stevens in that aspect: all clean hits that just flattens a dude.

Bouboumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Bouboumaster

Bouboumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 02:43 AM
sparkle twin
Love you, Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouboumaster View Post
-- YouTube video --
Some of those hits...

Not sure he will get the opportunity to make those kinds of hits too often playing on the third pair, but I would love it if he did!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 03:27 AM
jfc64

"Kremlin Gremlin" Emelin!

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

If he can be consistently more defensively responsible than Irwin, it can open up Weber a bit more offensively, which give the pairings more balanced. Also seems like a better option to move Emelin up a pair when injury hits than either Irwin or Weber.

It also seems like this has to mean the end for Bitetto here if there's no follow up trade. Shame because two years ago he made some strides and I really thought he could have been a solid #6 or even our #5 last season, you have to wonder what would have been if he hadn't gone down in game one. Now he's probably put through waivers, I assume someone will claim him but after his last season you never know.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 07:36 AM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
But hey, thanks Hans fans for your analysis of the D Men, cause y'all have become a really trusted news source on what we should expect out of them...,

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 09:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Doesn't everyone remember the panic we all felt when Ellis was injured. Let's face it, as much as we like Irwin and Weber, they were getting decimated in the playoffs. We need more defensive depth.

A 2019 3rd round pick is a small sum for a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman on a team who is on a cup run. The price at the deadline would have been much higher.

07-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Doesn't everyone remember the panic we all felt when Ellis was injured. Let's face it, as much as we like Irwin and Weber, they were getting decimated in the playoffs. We need more defensive depth.

A 2019 3rd round pick is a small sum for a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman on a team who is on a cup run. The price at the deadline would have been much higher.
Price wise, we basically traded Wilson for Emelin and we're saving $1M in the process.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 10:46 AM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub24 View Post
But hey, thanks Hans fans for your analysis of the D Men, cause y'all have become a really trusted news source on what we should expect out of them...,
30 GMs know: if Bergevin moves a defenceman, go get him!

Emelin became an RDS (QC media) whipping boy, as I said wait and see but I think fans here will enjoy him and he'll add a missing toughness element and more. Has a strong point shot for example (played PP in the KHL) but the Habs erased that part of his game.

Incidentally he can't fight because he has a metal plate in his face.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 12:59 PM
cynicalcitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
30 GMs know: if Bergevin moves a defenceman, go get him!

Emelin became an RDS (QC media) whipping boy, as I said wait and see but I think fans here will enjoy him and he'll add a missing toughness element and more. Has a strong point shot for example (played PP in the KHL) but the Habs erased that part of his game.

Incidentally he can't fight because he has a metal plate in his face.
Do they use microwaves in Bridgestone? I'd hate to see him pee himself and forget his name for about 30 minutes.

cynicalcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 01:10 PM
jasonr90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Don't listen to rumors and crazy MTL fans. He is much better than you think. Not a 3rd pairing guy by any measure.
On Nashville he definitely is. The interesting thing here is he and PK are teammates again, haha. I always hated Emelin as a bruins fan and he has a terrible reputation but he can definitely be a useful player, if he can cut out all his other shenanigans.

jasonr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 03:00 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalcitizen View Post
Do they use microwaves in Bridgestone? I'd hate to see him pee himself and forget his name for about 30 minutes.
excellent Cousin Eddie reference

Im looking forward to seeing what he brings.

07-02-2017, 03:02 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr90 View Post
On Nashville he definitely is. The interesting thing here is he and PK are teammates again, haha. I always hated Emelin as a bruins fan and he has a terrible reputation but he can definitely be a useful player, if he can cut out all his other shenanigans.
im guessing Poile saw the Blues and Ducks series and figured we needed some shenanigan purveyors or ourselves

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Cyclones Rock

An unreal good pick up.

A guy who's used to playing first/second pairing who is now slotted terrifically. Can move up if need be.

Add in that he's on a contract year, he's a big hitter and $ are being retained and what's not to like?

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 06:05 PM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
How are his break outs? Can he move the puck quickly out of the Dzone? The Preds D corp was built for the transition game and the ability to join the rush in the O zone. That's why they traded Weber for Subban.
When he and his team are in control he doesn't have terribly bad mobility. Of course he is not mobile and is not a PMD but for a physical guy he can move. Anyway if you can't move you can't hit. Most of his hits are not late hits. They are done when the guys are still in possession of the puck and it's because he can follow the play most of the time.

His main problem i would say is positioning and pivoting. He has a lot of trouble against the cycle. When his team is in control he looks good. When things start to fall apart and you need a good defensive play to break the cycle you can forget him he'll be lost somewhere he should not be in the defensive zone or he'll have trouble pivoting fast enough to cover guys like McJesus.

He is at his best against big and/or physical teams like Anaheim. Was always good against the old Bruins and Lucic. He had the ability to get Lucic out of his game. He'll hit all players. He doesn't care if it's Perry, Getzlaf or Kassian if there's an opportunity to hit he'll take it. Short tempered big players who are not used to be hit tend to have trouble facing Emelin as they lose their cool against him. Lucic being reunited in the same conference as Emelin is a good thing. I like to see Lulu loses his mind over Emelin .

Last edited by LaP: 07-02-2017 at 06:18 PM.
LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 10:44 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
When he and his team are in control he doesn't have terribly bad mobility. Of course he is not mobile and is not a PMD but for a physical guy he can move. Anyway if you can't move you can't hit. Most of his hits are not late hits. They are done when the guys are still in possession of the puck and it's because he can follow the play most of the time.

His main problem i would say is positioning and pivoting. He has a lot of trouble against the cycle. When his team is in control he looks good. When things start to fall apart and you need a good defensive play to break the cycle you can forget him he'll be lost somewhere he should not be in the defensive zone or he'll have trouble pivoting fast enough to cover guys like McJesus.

He is at his best against big and/or physical teams like Anaheim. Was always good against the old Bruins and Lucic. He had the ability to get Lucic out of his game. He'll hit all players. He doesn't care if it's Perry, Getzlaf or Kassian if there's an opportunity to hit he'll take it. Short tempered big players who are not used to be hit tend to have trouble facing Emelin as they lose their cool against him. Lucic being reunited in the same conference as Emelin is a good thing. I like to see Lulu loses his mind over Emelin .
Sounds like a lesser Weber, which is exactly what the Preds have moved away from. All 7 of the Dmen on last years roster are PMDs. He doesn't fit the system.

Old
07-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Sounds like a lesser Weber, which is exactly what the Preds have moved away from. All 7 of the Dmen on last years roster are PMDs. He doesn't fit the system.
Matt Irwin is not any more of puck moving d-man than Emelin. Emelin has a good first pass, which is all you can ask for, don't need your 3rd pairing guys trying to skate the puck up the ice and make crazy plays anyway. He's also a decent skater for his size, he'll fit just fine.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 10:54 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Matt Irwin is not any more of puck moving d-man than Emelin. Emelin has a good first pass, which is all you can ask for, don't need your 3rd pairing guys trying to skate the puck up the ice and make crazy plays anyway. He's also a decent skater for his size, he'll fit just fine.
If true I stand corrected. All I've read is that he's a big, physical, heavy hitter. No one has mentioned what the Preds covet most in their Dmen... mobile, transition and offensive focus.