Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Kostitsyn vs Tavares

Who will win rookie of the year?

Old
03-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Pothier

vCash: 500
Tavares, easily.

Kostitsyn is 3 years older and is playing on a loaded Knights team, wheras Tavares was playing on a lowly Generals team.

I think this is the first time an underage player has really domiated the way that John has.

Old
03-25-2006, 05:37 PM
DaveyCrockett

Tavares wins this. They are close points wise, but Tavares has a ridiculous number of goals especially considering he has no one helping him.

Old
03-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battochio30
Tavares, easily.

Kostitsyn is 3 years older and is playing on a loaded Knights team, wheras Tavares was playing on a lowly Generals team.

I think this is the first time an underage player has really domiated the way that John has.
My exact thoughts as well.

Old
03-25-2006, 05:57 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Billy is great, but they'd be extremely stupid not to give it to John T... Not just press wise, but common knowledge...

Old
03-25-2006, 08:45 PM
knight44

Kostityn did play on a loaded Knights team but he hardly ever played on the top line with their top 3 forwards!

Old
03-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Pothier

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight44
Kostityn did play on a loaded Knights team but he hardly ever played on the top line with their top 3 forwards!
....But he was also always on the PP.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:55 PM
knight44

True he was on the PP, but he did not play with them on even handed situations. At full strength he played with Perry

Old
03-25-2006, 09:05 PM
MomentsofSanity

This is a no brainer here. a 15 year old Tavares playing on basement dwelling Oshawa and 18 year old Kostitsyn playing on the first unit of the top power play of the first place Knights who only scored one more point.... if it goes to anyone BUT Tavares the whole thing is a sham.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:16 PM
MomentsofSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight44
True he was on the PP, but he did not play with them on even handed situations. At full strength he played with Perry
Bear in mind that 49 of Billy's 78 points came ON that PP where Tavares only 31 of his 77 came with the man advantage.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Talent Analyst

Kostitsyn for sure

Old
03-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst
Kostitsyn for sure
Reason?

Old
03-26-2006, 03:19 AM
JrHockeyFan

Yeah

I love the way Kostitsyn plays, but you have to go with Tavares. The Gens really have nothing. The kid is doing a great job.

PS: One thing to remember though. When a rookie is the best player on the team and the focus of the team, it has some advantages to be on a weak team from the standpoint of racking up points.

By the same token Kostitsyn is not the go to guy for London by any stretch, and does not get nearly the same number of minutes as Tavares.

I still think Tavares should win it, but being where he is not all bad when you consider that he gets a lot of attention that a player on a better team will not get. Not a knock, just something to consider.

Old
03-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I love the way Kostitsyn plays, but you have to go with Tavares. The Gens really have nothing. The kid is doing a great job.

PS: One thing to remember though. When a rookie is the best player on the team and the focus of the team, it has some advantages to be on a weak team from the standpoint of racking up points.

By the same token Kostitsyn is not the go to guy for London by any stretch, and does not get nearly the same number of minutes as Tavares.

I still think Tavares should win it, but being where he is not all bad when you consider that he gets a lot of attention that a player on a better team will not get. Not a knock, just something to consider.
But by stating that advantage, it also proves how Tavares should easily win this. How many 15 year olds have the ability to play such a crucial role for their team. And in the same mindframe, he's getting that attention from other teams to try and shut him down and they have been unsuccessful mostly. It proves how much he truly deserves this award.

Old
03-26-2006, 09:27 AM
OHLArenaGuide

I've always believed you shouldn't be eligible for ROY after your draft year is past. But even if you consider that Kostitsyn is eligible, I still would pick Tavares.

Old
03-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Reason?
See his avatar.

Old
03-26-2006, 12:30 PM
London Knights

Kostitsyn deserves ROY....BUT Tavares deserves it even more. He's actually a "rookie" and based on his exemption is actually even more so a rookie than most. And yet he is already setting the OHL ablaze. I don't see how you can justify giving the award to anyone else.

Although to be fair to Sergei while he does have the age factor, he is dealing with a completely different environment moving from Belarus which is something that he has overcome quite well. A lot of imports struggle when they come over and end up going back because of it.

Old
03-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Quiksilver

Send a message via MSN to Quiksilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battochio30

I think Spezza was pretty close to Tavares in his underage year. Spezza led his team in points (lead Torres by 9 points) by racking up 71 in 67 games on a Brampton Batallion team that was worse than this years Oshawa Generals.

Old
03-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Pothier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver
I think Spezza was pretty close to Tavares in his underage year. Spezza led his team in points (lead Torres by 9 points) by racking up 71 in 67 games on a Brampton Batallion team that was worse than this years Oshawa Generals.
Ah, thank you.

I was looking at the stats of underage players the other day. It was up in my mind that Spezza only had about 10 goals and 15 assists. So I just checked HockeyDB again for the underage stats, and realized that I was getting Spezza's numbers mixed up with Fata's numbers from his underage season!

My bad.

Old
03-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Default101

Tavares by a long shot, saw them both play Kostitsyn is a great player, but Tavares was by far the best rookie, Katic i think would have been considered if he wasn't injured, also if Aliu didn't have the problems he did this year he cuold have been a potential ROY as well.

Old
03-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg
Tavares by a long shot, saw them both play Kostitsyn is a great player, but Tavares was by far the best rookie, Katic i think would have been considered if he wasn't injured, also if Aliu didn't have the problems he did this year he cuold have been a potential ROY as well.
If you consider Katic then you have to consider Doughty, and if you consider Doughty you have to consider a few others. There's no point. It's a two horse race that should really only be one - Tavares.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Reason?
It's a Habs thing. A perfect NHL=one team. Any guesses?

Old
03-29-2006, 03:53 PM
faucette78

Quote:
If you consider Katic then you have to consider Doughty, and if you consider Doughty you have to consider a few others. There's no point. It's a two horse race that should really only be one - Tavares.
i agree...you would have to put Couture up there as well. Good season with the 67's

Old
03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Tavares easily, didn't see him as much as Kostitsyn but this kid is going to be a huge star imo. Great hands, it's freaking sick to think he's only going to be turning 16.

Kostitsyn has had a great year and what's more impressive is that he didn't speak English and was playing in the EEHL last year. So he's quickly adapted to the North American game and of course it helps him being on a stacked London team. I saw his 1st game in the OHL where there was no Schremp and others yet he still had a 6 point game, what a debut to the league. It will be very interesting to see what Kostitsyn can do in London next year when the big guns are gone.

Old
03-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucette78
i agree...you would have to put Couture up there as well. Good season with the 67's
He was another that I was going to mention.

Closed Thread