HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

CIS Hockey - Where to start?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2017, 07:08 PM
  #1
lmnop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
CIS Hockey - Where to start?

Looking to get into watching, reading and potentially even covering University hockey in Toronto and the surrounding areas. Does anyone have any tips, resources or just general knowledge of the game at the University level?

Thanks in advance!

lmnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:22 PM
  #2
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,283
vCash: 525
My opening post in the Bison thread has all the links I have found:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...15&postcount=1

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 09:05 PM
  #3
lmnop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
My opening post in the Bison thread has all the links I have found:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...15&postcount=1
Thank you Hollywood.

lmnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 12:38 PM
  #4
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat
 
connor macdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnop View Post
Looking to get into watching, reading and potentially even covering University hockey in Toronto and the surrounding areas. Does anyone have any tips, resources or just general knowledge of the game at the University level?

Thanks in advance!
Spent three years working with Carleton (2014-16) and uOttawa (2016-17), and can tell you the following things:
  • It's a great league. Major-junior level hockey in often Jr. B-level surroundings.
  • Any coverage you provide will likely be well-received by teams that are often forgotten by their own schools/Ath Depts/students.
  • It's really rewarding but don't expect there to be much of a market for your work beyond parents and the occasional super fan or player.
  • Toronto-wise, U. of T. has a great rink and a horrendous program. They might've been the worst team in Canada last season. New head coach (Ryan Medel, former Carleton ass't) could begin the turnaround, but it likely won't be pretty.
  • Ryerson is a very good team that regularly plays in front of <200 fans.

A good starting point/contact would be Victor Findlay (Twit: @Finder_24)

Good luck and enjoy this hidden gem of a league!

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 12:31 PM
  #5
AdamMcg83
Registered User
 
AdamMcg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Don't forget oua.tv - every league game is available online. Once the season starts, that's your best bet to ramp up on teams/players.

AdamMcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 02:45 PM
  #6
lmnop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMcg83 View Post
Don't forget oua.tv - every league game is available online. Once the season starts, that's your best bet to ramp up on teams/players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor macdavid View Post
Spent three years working with Carleton (2014-16) and uOttawa (2016-17), and can tell you the following things:
  • It's a great league. Major-junior level hockey in often Jr. B-level surroundings.
  • Any coverage you provide will likely be well-received by teams that are often forgotten by their own schools/Ath Depts/students.
  • It's really rewarding but don't expect there to be much of a market for your work beyond parents and the occasional super fan or player.
  • Toronto-wise, U. of T. has a great rink and a horrendous program. They might've been the worst team in Canada last season. New head coach (Ryan Medel, former Carleton ass't) could begin the turnaround, but it likely won't be pretty.
  • Ryerson is a very good team that regularly plays in front of <200 fans.

A good starting point/contact would be Victor Findlay (Twit: @Finder_24)

Good luck and enjoy this hidden gem of a league!
Awesome stuff, thanks so much!

lmnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:19 AM
  #7
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnop View Post
Looking to get into watching, reading and potentially even covering University hockey in Toronto and the surrounding areas. Does anyone have any tips, resources or just general knowledge of the game at the University level?

Thanks in advance!
As mentioned already, Victor Findley at Ryerson is a great resource.

CIS / U Sport hockey doesn't draw that well in the GTA, especially considering how good the brand of hockey is. However, in the Maritimes, all seven schools place in the top 10 for attendance every year, with UNB the clear leader with an average of 2300 fans (V-Red numbers get boosted a bit by two traditional sell-outs involving school kids, but there are at least 1600 to 1800 fans at every game).

Since there in no inter-conference play, you won't see the AUS or CanWest teams unless you watch their games online (or you live in NS or PEI where Aliant has a game on TV every Friday night).

UofT has been a disappointment for years, considering how dominant they were in the 1970's and early '80's (a bit like the Leafs I guess ...)

If they were ever to get more serious about recruiting, which Ryerson has, UofT could easily be competitive, especially since they now play in arguably the softest division in the OUA. Since UofT has tons of good grad programs they could also add AUS or CanWest players with a year of eligibility left (McGill has done very well at this).

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 01:24 PM
  #8
lmnop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
As mentioned already, Victor Findley at Ryerson is a great resource.

CIS / U Sport hockey doesn't draw that well in the GTA, especially considering how good the brand of hockey is. However, in the Maritimes, all seven schools place in the top 10 for attendance every year, with UNB the clear leader with an average of 2300 fans (V-Red numbers get boosted a bit by two traditional sell-outs involving school kids, but there are at least 1600 to 1800 fans at every game).

Since there in no inter-conference play, you won't see the AUS or CanWest teams unless you watch their games online (or you live in NS or PEI where Aliant has a game on TV every Friday night).

UofT has been a disappointment for years, considering how dominant they were in the 1970's and early '80's (a bit like the Leafs I guess ...)

If they were ever to get more serious about recruiting, which Ryerson has, UofT could easily be competitive, especially since they now play in arguably the softest division in the OUA. Since UofT has tons of good grad programs they could also add AUS or CanWest players with a year of eligibility left (McGill has done very well at this).
I appreciate all the feedback, information and responses.

I have followed Victor, hopefully he follows back as I wanted to ask him a few things. I created a new account solely for this - if you are interested - @usportsdev

I just started researching for a piece about the Varsity Blues. I've reached out to their new head coach Ryan Medel. I will keep yall posted or follow along on twitter.

Thanks again

lmnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 01:25 PM
  #9
lmnop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Does OUA.tv have a monthly subscription fee?

I don't drive and am Toronto based so I feel like I will be using it a lot.

tia

lmnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 03:14 PM
  #10
lmnop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnop View Post
I appreciate all the feedback, information and responses.

I have followed Victor, hopefully he follows back as I wanted to ask him a few things. I created a new account solely for this - if you are interested - @usportsdev

I just started researching for a piece about the Varsity Blues. I've reached out to their new head coach Ryan Medel. I will keep yall posted or follow along on twitter.
Update: Coach Medel and I will be speaking next week for a piece RE: the future of UofT MHKY

lmnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 02:19 PM
  #11
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,283
vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnop View Post
Update: Coach Medel and I will be speaking next week for a piece RE: the future of UofT MHKY
The U of T past has loads of links, stories, and pictures at Wikia:

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Toronto_Varsity_Blues

Just remembered this is already in the OUA thread.


Last edited by Hollywood3: 07-15-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.