HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Johansson traded to NJD for 2nd and 3rd rd picks in 2018

Old
07-02-2017, 07:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corby78 View Post
My point is, we don't know what deals we're tried to be made, what verbal agreements they thought they had, or maybe they gambled. And this is for grubs, Schmidt, mojo, etc. this is a bad deal and it tells me that me we had a plan that got blown up somewhere. Hopefully we find out the entire story later.
If they gambled, the wrong people are in charge.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 07:56 PM
HecticGlow

Some thoughts:
  • Kuzy struggled last year when not playing with Mojo and Williams. Mojo thrived regardless of his linemates. God we better hope Kuzy finds some chemistry with other guys fast
  • Bura had yet another inconsistent year. Vrana's production disappeared to the point he was sent back to the AHL and then benched repeatedly. They're tasked with replacing Mojo and Williams
  • WTF do we do if a Connelly-Eller-Wilson line is non existant?
  • After all this we still wont have space probably for a legit top-4 D

HecticGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Dr John Carlson
Light is all over us

vCash: 50
So...

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Oshie
Burakovsky - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Vrana - Eller - Connolly
?????? - Beagle - ??????

Brutal.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Remember at the deadline when people were happy to go "all in"....

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:01 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

I have no idea what is going on. Hoping BMac has a vision beyond being broke.

calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Coldplay619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
So...

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Oshie
Burakovsky - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Vrana - Eller - Connolly
?????? - Beagle - ??????

Brutal.
Oh god.

At this point let's go with

??????-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Vrana-Eller-Connolly
??????-Beagle-Wilson

Our forward depth is ****, our defensive depth is **** as well.

HOLY ****

Coldplay619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:03 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
If they were going to do this, why expose Schmidt rather than Marcus?
Look at the expansion rules, there were choices and strategies related to the number of F/D that could be exempted. In retrospect, they should have exposed Eller and JoJo instead of Schmidt, but ya.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:03 PM
HecticGlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay619 View Post
Oh god.

At this point let's go with

??????-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Vrana-Eller-Connolly
??????-Beagle-Wilson

Our forward depth is ****, our defensive depth is **** as well.

HOLY ****
It's fine we'll just trade that second round pick we've now got for...umm...

Old
07-02-2017, 08:04 PM
WcRoenick97

Lol at all of this panic. Wait until the dust settles first. It's not like this team could even make it past eh second round anyway. They lost to a beat up Penguins squad. Changes needed to be made.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:05 PM
HecticGlow

If he'd done this right he could have at least got rid of Orpik with Mojo, I'm willing to bet. This is just horrible.

Old
07-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
Lol at all of this panic. Wait until the dust settles first. It's not like this team could even make it past eh second round anyway. They lost to a beat up Penguins squad. Changes needed to be made.
You're right. Changes needed to be made.

Losing half of the core while gaining back nothing strikes you as positive change?

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Look at the expansion rules, there were choices and strategies related to the number of F/D that could be exempted. In retrospect, they should have exposed Eller and JoJo instead of Schmidt, but ya.
The argument for selecting 7-3-1 was avoiding have to expose one of Johansson or Burakovsky. Since they lost Johansson anyway, 4-4-1 makes a lot more sense. Given that the motive behind the Johansson trade was cap compliance after raises to free agents, this is entirely predictable scenario. It shouldn't take hind sight to realize they didn't have the cap space to keep Johansson after the Oshie/Kuznetsov/Orlov raises. They should have been talking with their agents enough to know what the ballpark for those raises was going to be well before the expansion draft (especially given the fact that they already had the Oshie contract all but ready before the expansion draft). They should have traded Johansson then (quite possibly for a better return than they got now) and then protected Schmidt. This is a terrible lack of foresight from the management.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HecticGlow

Quote:
How are those 2nd and 3rd round going to help us get past the second round? Even if Mojo had to go, this was awfully managed.

Old
07-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
Over/Under on amount of games for the Johansson-haters to turn on Burakovsky and Vrana playing the same role: 15
Are you saying that Burakovsky and Vrana are going to out produce Johansson?

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Are you saying that Burakovsky and Vrana are going to out produce Johansson?
I'm saying that the people who hated Johansson are going to hate Vrana and Burakovsky too.

Old
Cush
Winny!

Terrible asset management. Jeez........

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
If they gambled, the wrong people are in charge.
There are too many things happening this off-season that do not appear to have been thought through with much depth. Even if they had gambled correctly and been able to retain Schmidt, they wouldn't have had cap space to keep him. They still might not have had it in the event of trading Johansson. Maybe just barely but it obviously wasn't Plan A (assuming there was one).

It's just a very poorly executed off-season. It's one that still doesn't get to the heart of needing to make lasting changes to get them in a different place mentally and from a performance/engagement standpoint. It certainly seems like an off-season mandated by ownership to do whatever it takes to get 77/9/92 locked up and whatever else happens...so be it. In that regard I'd fully expect them to make more dumb trades if they waffle in the standings in order to maintain relevancy.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WcRoenick97

GM has always seemingly made the right move at the right time. Wait and see what he has up his sleeve. The move definitely doesn't make sense at this moment but I suspect something is soon to follow.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:09 PM
HecticGlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
I'm saying that the people who hated Johansson are going to hate Vrana and Burakovsky too.
Given neither is as proven or as consistent, they might turn with good reason.

Remember keeping Mojo and trading Bura was also an option...

Old
07-02-2017, 08:10 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Serious question for those saying we should have traded Mojo before the expansion...who would have made that trade? There weren't a lot of moves for protection-eligible players before the expansion draft, iirc. Most teams were struggling just to figure out a way to protect everyone they wanted. How many were going to add another guy to bribe McPhee to avoid?

That said the return does seem low. I really do think this was something that blindsided them after McPhee went for Schmidt instead of Grubauer, and then Orlov's agent probably sensed an advantage. They simply spent more than they wanted to on Orlov after losing Schmidt and it cost them Mojo.

George McPhee...still screwing this team. And to some degree the Pens for unloading MAF.

07-02-2017, 08:11 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
GM has always seemingly made the right move at the right time. Wait and see what he has up his sleeve. The move definitely doesn't make sense at this moment but I suspect something is soon to follow.
The brilliant Oshie trade and Niskanen contracts only buy so much credit. Otherwise we have Eller, Shattenkirk, Gleason, Weber, and Orpik. GMBM is hardly a guarantee for "right move at the right time."

Old
07-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Serious question for those saying we should have traded Mojo before the expansion...who would have made that trade? There weren't a lot of moves for protection-eligible players before the expansion draft, iirc. Most teams were struggling just to figure out a way to protect everyone they wanted. How many were going to add another guy to bribe McPhee to avoid?

That said the return does seem low. I really do think this was something that blindsided them after McPhee went for Schmidt instead of Grubauer, and then Orlov's agent probably sensed an advantage. They simply spent more than they wanted to on Orlov after losing Schmidt and it cost them Mojo.

George McPhee...still screwing this team. And to some degree the Pens for unloading MAF.
It's really not about trading Mojo before the expansion draft, though that was still an option. The issue is if you were going to lose him for nothing regardless why not just go 4-4-1 and have one hole instead of now two?

I mean damn, they could have made this exact trade before the deadline and ended up with those picks + Schmidt.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
There are too many things happening this off-season that do not appear to have been thought through with much depth. Even if they had gambled correctly and been able to retain Schmidt, they wouldn't have had cap space to keep him. They still might not have had it in the event of trading Johansson. Maybe just barely but it obviously wasn't Plan A (assuming there was one).

It's just a very poorly executed off-season. It's one that still doesn't get to the heart of needing to make lasting changes to get them in a different place mentally and from a performance/engagement standpoint. It certainly seems like an off-season mandated by ownership to do whatever it takes to get 77/9/92 locked up and whatever else happens...so be it. In that regard I'd fully expect them to make more dumb trades if they waffle in the standings in order to maintain relevancy.
They can't be done. Has to be more to it.....please....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Corby78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I mean even if they take Grubauer instead of Schmidt we're in this exact same situation.
I'm just not putting absolutes on this. I'm not saying GMBM thinks mojo and Ellar have the same trade value because we don't know that. Who knows how many ways were tried to avoid this. If this was their plan then yes it's bad imo. But I don't know how far off the plan this offseason has gone.

Corby78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pigskin

trying to look for positives

FLA 2nd is going to be a good 2nd at least (~40)
TOR 3rd is going to be a bad 3rd (~84)

would be my guess

Pigskin is offline   Reply With Quote