HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Johansson traded to NJD for 2nd and 3rd rd picks in 2018

Old
07-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Monsterrain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
Lol at all of this panic. Wait until the dust settles first. It's not like this team could even make it past eh second round anyway. They lost to a beat up Penguins squad. Changes needed to be made.
yup changes needed to be made. Lets see what some of the young guys can do.

Monsterrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:18 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
It's really not about trading Mojo before the expansion draft, though that was still an option. The issue is if you were going to lose him for nothing regardless why not just go 4-4-1 and have one hole instead of now two?

I mean damn, they could have made this exact trade before the deadline and ended up with those picks + Schmidt.
I get that. I'm also saying they may have had reason to believe Grubauer would be the pick unless Mojo was available, but McPhee threw them a change-up and took Schmidt. That's the only way this makes any sense.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
The brilliant Oshie trade and Niskanen contracts only buy so much credit. Otherwise we have Eller, Shattenkirk, Gleason, Weber, and Orpik. GMBM is hardly a guarantee for "right move at the right time."
Shattenkirk is still a good trade. It's not fair to judge that trade after the fact. We gave up minimal to get the top trade option, that was good.

This trade? This is doo-doo.

I was a believer in "the plan" until today. We handed a **** ton of cash to Kuznetsov with no real plan apparently, this trade reads like a panic move.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EroCaps

I mean, we'll see what comes next, but this on the surface looks like another instance of the Caps holding onto pieces for too long and selling low.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
They can't be done. Has to be more to it.....please....
The timing could mean they have UFA alternatives lined up that could credibly replace 90 but it may also simply be panic brought on by extensions to 92 and 9 that were both larger than anything they'd planned on. My guess is it's as simple as that. All of these scenarios should have been planned for but, again, it just seems piecemeal. There doesn't seem to be a common thread motivating their decision-making across the board and so they're just constantly sluggishly reacting.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Serious question for those saying we should have traded Mojo before the expansion...who would have made that trade? There weren't a lot of moves for protection-eligible players before the expansion draft, iirc. Most teams were struggling just to figure out a way to protect everyone they wanted. How many were going to add another guy to bribe McPhee to avoid?
The Devils would have been the perfect candidate. They rolled with a 4-4-1 protection to protect Marco Mueller (who they had acquired from San Jose in a pre-expansion draft protection trade). Either they make the Johansson trade in place of of the Mueller trade or they go 7-3-1 and expose Mueller (who they didn't even qualify and still have not signed).

Other potential destinations include Arizona (protected Nick Cousins), Boston (protected Riley Nash), Calgary (protected Michael Ferland), and Carolina (protected Phillip Di Giuseppe and Brock McGinn).

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland2Lomakin View Post
Shattenkirk is still a good trade. It's not fair to judge that trade after the fact. We gave up minimal to get the top trade option, that was good.
That's fair. I still would have done the Shattenkirk and quite possibly the Eller trades.

Old
07-02-2017, 08:22 PM
capsovi7878

Majo had one career year and some people here think we just traded backstrom for 2 draft picks. It clears some space and gets some picks for this team that need prospects.

capsovi7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoCaps2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I mean, we'll see what comes next, but this on the surface looks like another instance of the Caps holding onto pieces for too long and selling low.
But there was literally no need to sell low here. He's young and coming off his best season. Putrid asset management. The only way a Johansson trade like this would've been manageable is if orpik was attached, alas, how the **** do we get rid of orpik. Way to go gmbm

GoCaps2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brian23

Quote:
I get that. I'm also saying they may have had reason to believe Grubauer would be the pick unless Mojo was available, but McPhee threw them a change-up and took Schmidt. That's the only way this makes any sense.
But it doesn't. Even if McPhee takes Grubauer you're in the same cap crunch issue. Grubauer or Schmidt were both gonna be making 2+ million this year, you can look at them as comparable assets (only one they want to keep and the other they probably don't as much).

This only makes sense if you think they have no plan. Either that or they got destroyed in negotations and figured all 3 would come in for probably 3 million total less then what they got (Oshie at 5.5, Orlov at 4ish, and Kuzya at 6).

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsovi7878 View Post
Majo had one career year and some people here think we just traded backstrom for 2 draft picks. It clears some space and gets some picks for this team that need prospects.
A 2nd and a 3rd for a 26 year old who's a consistent 15-20G/45P player is still a bad return.

Old
07-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsovi7878 View Post
They acquired less for a consistent 45 point guy then what they traded for a dude who's never topped 30 points.

People's hate/ignorance on Mojo is blinding them to how bad this trade is.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:26 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
But it doesn't. Even if McPhee takes Grubauer you're in the same cap crunch issue. Grubauer or Schmidt were both gonna be making 2+ million this year, you can look at them as comparable assets (only one they want to keep and the other they probably don't as much).

This only makes sense if you think they have no plan. Either that or they got destroyed in negotations and figured all 3 would come in for probably 3 million total less then what they got (Oshie at 5.5, Orlov at 4ish, and Kuzya at 6).
I already said in my first post in this thread that losing Schmidt may have upped the price for Orlov and thrown the numbers out of whack. I also said in earlier threads that the days of hometown discounts were probably over and it certainly seems that way given the numbers being thrown at Orlov and Kuz.

We can call it incompetence if we want. I think the market went sideways on them and they didn't expect it. And the trigger for all of it was the expansion draft, which included a stale market for both Orpik and Grubauer whom they probably planned on trading.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Lindemann

Over pay for 2/3 free agents and then give one away for nothing while we could of kept Schmidt?

What the f word are we doing?

And yet we keep the biggest problem of all in Trotz

Lindemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
@SWhyno: Shero on Johansson trade: #Caps "didn't need players back, obviously." Washington wanted picks.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:39 PM
third man in

We're like the Blackhawks minus the cups.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Jags
Mildly Disturbed

Quote:
I already said in my first post in this thread that losing Schmidt may have upped the price for Orlov and thrown the numbers out of whack. I also said in earlier threads that the days of hometown discounts were probably over and it certainly seems that way given the numbers being thrown at Orlov and Kuz.

We can call it incompetence if we want. I think the market went sideways on them and they didn't expect it. And the trigger for all of it was the expansion draft, which included a stale market for both Orpik and Grubauer whom they probably planned on trading.
Still, it's the combination of all those things being so wrong that doesn't quite add up.

Not having a better grasp on expansion, apparently not knowing how costly their RFAs would be, selling low on Johansson with so much time left to make a better deal...

I guess it could be bad luck all around, but at what point do you start holding your GM responsible for being this wrong about so many major things in a row?

Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Stan Galiev
Sasha Minor

This is a really bad trade. Even Ryan Reaves got a freaking first. This trade looks especially bad compared to the Eller trade.

Stan Galiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Jags
Mildly Disturbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
That's fair. I still would have done the Shattenkirk and quite possibly the Eller trades.
It's the aftermath of the Eller trade that bugs me. Giving up a pick to protect him just reeked of justifying what he gave up for him last year.

And it'll feel the same way if he doesn't find a way to unload Orpik.

Old
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
Still, it's the combination of all those things being so wrong that doesn't quite add up.

Not having a better grasp on expansion, apparently not knowing how costly their RFAs would be, selling low on Johansson with so much time left to make a better deal...

I guess it could be bad luck all around, but at what point do you start holding your GM responsible for being this wrong about so many major things in a row?
Hold him responsible right away. Now what?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Galiev View Post
This is a really bad trade. Even Ryan Reaves got a freaking first. This trade looks especially bad compared to the Eller trade.
Brayden Schenn is the closest comparable to Johansson traded this off-season and returned a 1st (+2nd 1st for taking on Lehtera's contract).

Old
07-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Blitzkrieg365

vCash: 451
Hoping for the the best, but how I feel right now...

Blitzkrieg365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Jags
Mildly Disturbed

Quote:
Hold him responsible right away. Now what?
lol, good point.

I guess some of us are just hoping that somewhere Leonsis is throwing chairs at the wall.

It'd help to know their rationale, I guess. It just screams of lack of foresight from where I'm sitting.

Old
07-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I mean, you don't replace your GM in the middle of July. There's nothing a new GM could do to undo the last couple weeks. At this point we just have to ride it out with GMBM for this season and see where they end up.

Doesn't change that it's been an awful off-season so far and the Caps' moves don't seem to fit any master plan.

Old
07-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

How I imagine this trade transpired...

"Hey it's Brian, look we're willing to give up Johansson, but it's going to cost you"

"Oh, really? Um, okay I guess we can do a second, a third, a-"

"DONE!"

We just lost Johansson for all the free coffee we want throughout North America and Europe.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote