HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Jets be competitive with the Oilers and Leafs?

Old
07-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
Adding a 3C, additional scoring line puts the Jets over the top. If you can bump Lowry down to the 4th line there's no way Maurice can screw it up.
I think that hinges on whether Roslovic is ready to be our 3C.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

vCash: 500
I think it's silly to compare ourselves to just the Oilers and Leafs.
Other teams will have something to say about who's winning the Stanley Cup.

We have to learn to win in the playoffs.
Which likely means losing in the playoffs.

I don't 100% see us and Edmonton repeating the 80's.
I don't think Hawerchuk had quite as much potential talent around him as today's Jets (Scheifele) do. Remember that Jets 1.0 s#!t the bed every second draft back then on their top pick.
Jets 2.0 has not made that mistake.
Ehlers, Laine & Connor represent elite talent that Jets 1.0 didn't have.

Scheif's $6.125 contract compared to McDavids $13.25 million is a huge advantage. All these teams should do well for a long stretch.
Goaltending is likely to be the final deciding factor.

We have to make the playoffs before we can win the cup.
Learn to walk before we run.
It's definitely time to walk!!!!

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 01:44 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I think that hinges on whether Roslovic is ready to be our 3C.
Aye. They don't need to add to bump Lowry down to the 4th line. There a pile of different ways to re-jig the lines if the coach is willing.

Roslovic, Petan and Perreault should all be options for 3C. Give them the right wingers and you have three scoring lines. Maurice has to be willing though.

Last year he decided 4th line Perreault made more sense than 4th line Lowry. Any reason to think that will change?

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Aye. They don't need to add to bump Lowry down to the 4th line. There a pile of different ways to re-jig the lines if the coach is willing.

Roslovic, Petan and Perreault should all be options for 3C. Give them the right wingers and you have three scoring lines. Maurice has to be willing though.

Last year he decided 4th line Perreault made more sense than 4th line Lowry. Any reason to think that will change?
I don't think Petan inspires much confidence in his defensive play as a center so he likely never sees any time there. Perreault is an option but is he a better winger than a C?

Old
07-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Arthur Fonzarelli

vCash: 1804
Quote:

Perrault was recently quoted that he sees himself now as more a winger than a centre.

Yes in a pinch he'll likely play there, but when plotting the roster he's no longer part of that conversation.

Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:31 PM

Oilers blindly picked top 2 for a decade and I don't think their roster is as good as it should be. Having said that, they will be in the playoffs again.

Calgary is built for regular season, but i don't see them making a dent in the post season yet.

Toronto has the trinity, but nothing else really wows me.

I think Jets have more depth, a more skilled top 6 forwards, and better top 2 defense. Coaching will do us in during the playoffs.

51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 View Post
Oilers blindly picked top 2 for a decade and I don't think their roster is as good as it should be. Having said that, they will be in the playoffs again.

Calgary is built for regular season, but i don't see them making a dent in the post season yet.

Toronto has the trinity, but nothing else really wows me.

I think Jets have more depth, a more skilled top 6 forwards, and better top 2 defense. Coaching will do us in during the playoffs.
I think our unholy trinity of Scheif+Ehlers+Laine can go up against their trinity head to head. We have them beat on defence by quite a bit, especially if Kulikov is healthy and plays to his potential. Anderson at this point is a more proven starter for them than Mason is for us, as he hasn't played a minute yet, but if we can get that level of goaltending out of Mason I think we are the better team overall. Add in Connor and Roslovic and I think we get a new dimension of depth scoring we've never had, which should help in the playoffs.

Old
07-03-2017, 03:17 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

To the OP yes we are pretty similar to either of these teams.....if we just swapped goaltenders last season or injury situations then our positions would have flipped IMO. We will not meet the Leafs unless it's a cup final so they are less relavent situationally but I can see us locking horns in the playoffs with Edmonton at some point in the next few seasons and I am really looking forward to that.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
To the OP yes we are pretty similar to either of these teams.....if we just swapped goaltenders last season or injury situations then our positions would have flipped IMO. We will not meet the Leafs unless it's a cup final so they are less relavent situationally but I can see us locking horns in the playoffs with Edmonton at some point in the next few seasons and I am really looking forward to that.
speak for yourself.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:23 PM
KurtG8

Quote:
Exactly, me too. Cause we will Whoop them just like we will the Leafs on October 4th. WOOOOOOO Cant wait for this season to start!!!!!!! Oilers and Leafs can Lick our Boots!!!

KurtG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:26 PM
JetBlue420

I think Toronto regresses this season and their fans start to panic. I think they were relatively healthy last season.. I think they miss the playoffs. Oilers are interesting.. They are legit good but they are missing something... Not sure what... I guess if McDavid is hurt long term are they still as good or Talbot for that matter.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:38 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
speak for yourself.
I realize the Oilers owned the Jets 1.0 but the WHA Jets owned the Oilers so best of three baby. McDavid is amazing but we have allot of high end weapons too and that would be really REALLY entertaining hockey to watch.

Old
07-03-2017, 04:08 PM
JayJay

I absolutely think Jets can match those teams (and any other) if they get the goaltending and are able to sort the team defense.

On paper Jets roster more than matches with Oilers & Leafs. Oilers have McDavid and no team can compete with that but outside McD and Draitsaital there isn't that much elite forward talent. The drop off is quite significant and they just traded their 3rd best scorer out of the team. Their production relies heavily on McDavid and him missing any time would hurt Oilers greatly. And if McDavid and Drai are going to get the contracts that have been rumoured, then the dropp off of talent will be even bigger. Oilers had a great season and there is no reason they couldn't dublicate that but I'm still somewhat suspicious of the balance and width of their roster. That being said I still think Edmonton is leading the bunch at the moment.

Toronto have their "big three" but Jets can match that with any combination of their top6 and still have the rest three top6 players + few other talents in that category. Leafs managed to push more tight games to OT last season and gather those loserpoints. So they were that much better than Jets. But having same amount of wins and eight more points don't make them superior team with superior season. Jets and Leafs are in the same ball park. Leafs did slightly better last season but it got bit ridiculous when people started talking about them as contenders when they made the playoffs with one point margin. Leafs are good team with bright future but I don't see any reason why Jets couldn't match / become better than Leafs.

For me Jets have more players with top6 potential / talent than Oilers & Leafs and dmen compare well to them too. So in paper Jets should be able to match these teams, it is just matter of them getting their team play sorted out. Jets have some amazingly good pieces so I really hope they can get the package working and not become one of those teams that look great on paper but don't really get anywhere.

I'm very optimistic that Jets take a big jump this upcoming season!

JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:15 PM
citizenmundane

I'm more worried about Dallas and Calgary.

citizenmundane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:20 PM
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenmundane View Post
I'm more worried about Dallas and Calgary.
Dallas has a monster line-up and should make a big push to playoffs + contending.

JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:21 PM
mcpw
WPG

There are a lot more teams than the Oilers and Leafs.

mcpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:

Perreault has failed repeatedly at C since coming to the Jets. I don't think he belongs on that list. I recall him saying so himself after he was shifted back to LW last year. To paraphrase he said, I am a LW. Don't think of me as a centre anymore. As near as I can remember. That goes with his reaction when he was first changed to LW which was something like, I like the wing much better. I have more freedom there.

But we have Petan and Copp now with Roslovic and Harkins on the way. Lets not underestimate Harkins. He may yet turn out to be the best fit at 3C. I very much doubt he is ready this year but he might be after 1 year in the A.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Reveeenge! Reveeeenge!

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:30 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
speak for yourself.
Um ... I think he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpw View Post
There are a lot more teams than the Oilers and Leafs.
Of course there is, but that's not the topic of this particular thread.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

We have the horses, we just need Maurice to deploy them properly. No Chiarot, Stuart, Thorburn, Hutchinson is massive.

Our biggest weakness now is Adam Lowry as 3C and on 1PP. I dont think you will find a playoff team with a worse 3C. If he's on the 4th line, we are probably a playoff team.

Blue Shakehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:17 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post
We have the horses, we just need Maurice to deploy them properly. No Chiarot, Stuart, Thorburn, Hutchinson is massive.

Our biggest weakness now is Adam Lowry as 3C and on 1PP. I dont think you will find a playoff team with a worse 3C. If he's on the 4th line, we are probably a playoff team.
Agree - I hope that Roslo can steal that 3C slot, and push Lowry to the 4th. Schief, Little, Roslo, Lowry/Copp as your centres could be very good.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:19 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Dallas has a monster line-up and should make a big push to playoffs + contending.
Dallas is still bad defensively.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Dallas is still bad defensively.
...and thin. If they have some injuries, they could struggle. Jets are also deeper up front.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

Quote:
I realize the Oilers owned the Jets 1.0 but the WHA Jets owned the Oilers so best of three baby. McDavid is amazing but we have allot of high end weapons too and that would be really REALLY entertaining hockey to watch.
One of my favorite bloopers from last year was when McDavid was breaking of his own end below the blue line carrying the puck and Stuart was defending him at our red line. Stu knew he couldn't skate backwards fast enough to keep pace, so he turned around and just started skating forwards back to our end with everything he had.

Stu never actually got enough space to turn back around to defend, he just ran into our goalpost. It was glorious. I wish I had the video.

Blue Shakehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 07:46 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post
One of my favorite bloopers from last year was when McDavid was breaking of his own end below the blue line carrying the puck and Stuart was defending him at our red line. Stu knew he couldn't skate backwards fast enough to keep pace, so he turned around and just started skating forwards back to our end with everything he had.

Stu never actually got enough space to turn back around to defend, he just ran into our goalpost. It was glorious. I wish I had the video.
Ok I was laughing reading that.